Lesson 6

First Love

Lesson 6:

“Ready. Set. Go.” Everyone stood around the pool and the captain blew the whistle. At first, it was Mark’s opponent that swam faster, but during the second lap, Mark speeded. Everyone was stunned. Mark’s position and style were beautiful. His speed was constant too. He was a fish in a pond. At last, Mark won.

Mark won, so everything is set. Mark will join us, and Wendy will be Mark’s manager just as he requested.” The captain announced. All of them were impressed by Mark, so they have no complain.

Mark joined the team for practice the rest of the day. Wendy patiently watched and helped to record the team’s practice. After the practice, everyone packed their belongings and went home. While Wendy was packing and cleaning up, Mark was looking at Wendy attentively.

“Why are you looking at me?” Wendy realized Mark staring.

“You are beautiful.” Mark said it without any thoughts. Wendy was surprised by Mark’s compliment. Her eyes met Mark’s eyes, and there was something going on in the air.

“Thank you.” Wendy quickly moved her eyes from Mark. Her heart started to pace rapidly tahm before. She felt that her face was heating up.

 

“I will walk you home.” Mark said when they were leaving the school.

“I can walk back alone.”

“It’s dangerous for a young lady to walk back home alone.” Therefore, Mark walked Wendy home that day. Both of them were quiet.

“How long have you been swimming?” Wendy felt uncomfortable with the silence, so she began to talk.

“I started when I was five.” Then the silence came back. They finally reached Wendy’s house after a ten-minute walk.

“Do you want to come inside and have a drink?” Wendy felt bad for Mark to walk her back home, so she offered him a drink. Wendy led Mark into her house after she saw him nodding.

“You can sit here.” There was no one at home, so Wendy told Mark to comfortably sit on the couch. Wendy then put down her bag and went somewhere else leaving Mark in the living room.

“There are some cookies made by my mom. Try it.” Wendy came back with a tray of snacks and orange juice for Mark and herself. She placed it on the coffee table and sat down next to Mark. The silence came back again.

“It’s good.” Mark tried the cookies.

“You can bring some of it home if you want.”

It was awkward again. Wendy went to pack some cookies for Mark, and after that, Mark said goodbye and went home.

Wendy thought of the moments with Mark. Wendy liked the time she spent with Mark. She thought it was peaceful, and she enjoyed it.

 

The next day, Wendy saw Mark standing under a tree when she was walking halfway to the school. Wendy then went up to Mark.

“Hey, what are you doing here?” Wendy asked Mark, who was looking at her.

“I’m waiting for you.”

“Huh?”

“Let’s walk to school.” Mark took Wendy’s bag from her, and he walked toward the school. Wendy was stunned. She did not understand why Mark is waiting for her. She caught up with Mark, and they walked side by side. The journey to school was silence, but it was peaceful.

The two of them reached school early in the morning. Only few of their classmates were in the classroom. Mark then returned Wendy’s bag to her and sat on his seat.