Kai-ya

Kai-ya and His Straight Boyfriend

 

 

“Oh... my... Wow!” Taemin giggled so hard he almost fell off his chair.

“What?!” Kai pouted, feeling self-conscious. They had decided to take this thing all the way. Taemin called in favors from some professionals he knew, gathering together a proper team of specialists. A famous hairstylist, a world renowned make up artist and they even got a couple of designer dresses on loan, as well as some necessary accessories like a pair of s and a very expensive, high thread wig. Unlike him, Taemin didn't need prosthetic help in the hair department, he already had beautiful, long blond locks to work with.

Because of schedule conflicts of their elite team, they had to do the performances separately. Taemin had done his yesterday, and it had been beyond incredible. Nobody had even suspected that he was anything else than a gorgeous female ballerina, honoring the sidewalk with her high class, epic, expert performance. Passers-by had gathered to watch and clapped vigorously in amazement. The video had already gone viral on youtube. Kai wasn't very confident that he could pull off the girly look. He had much manlier features than Taemin. He doubted that he was going to fool anyone. There was already an intense knot of embarrassment twisting his insides.

“I'm not kidding. This is.. Wow. You've got to see this.” Taemin's eyes sparkled with excitement.

“Five minutes and you'll be all done. Just hang on a moment.” the make-up artist smiled warmly, clearly not hating the indirect compliment Taemin had given her.

 

Kai opened his eyes as slow as he could. He wasn't ready to face whatever was waiting for him in that mirror. The moment he saw her, he jumped in his chair. It was like he was staring at a whole other person. There was a girl in that mirror. An actual girl. He couldn't believe it. This was surreal. It was as if his long lost twin sister had shown up after all these years. Like some crazy soap opera story, they had been separated at birth and were only now finding out about each other's existence. And his sister was not too shabby looking either. She had long, brown hair that flowed down her slightly masculine shoulders, which made her look majestic. Her eyes were looking straight into his, her long eyelashes bouncing ever so gently every time she blinked. She was the same caramel color he was, her skin extra smooth. The lipstick made her lips pop, making them the focus point of her face. She was actually kind of pretty.

“So..?” the make-up artist was waiting for his reaction, but he was completely speechless. He touched his eyebrow, and saw his twin sister touch hers at the same time. Freaky. He had never noticed how delicate and feminine his eyebrows looked.

“This is crazy!” he finally said.

“I know, right!” Taemin bounced enthusiastically up and down “This is going to be so cool!” he added, giggling.

 

Kai had to take several breaths before he could muster up the courage to exit the car. They had decided on a busking spot in Hongdae. Since it was just after noon on a Tuesday, he had thought there would be no people around, but the street was actually quite busy. Did these people have no lives? Why did they have to be lurking around here, of all places?! As he closed the door of the car, he looked around to see if there was anyone staring at him. He did get a look from a guy passing by, but that actually gave him courage. It was a look he knew very well, a look that opened doors, a look that preceded the exchange of phone numbers, or something much more intimate. His fake sister had game. This was actually working.

“My lady.” Taemin did this weird curtsy and offered him his arm to him to the recording spot. They both chuckled. This was beyond ridiculous.

As they were setting up, a few people stopped to watch, which in turn spiked the curiosity of more people, starting a cascade that ended in a crowd surrounding them full circle. Kai got a bit nervous. He wasn't used to dancing in a dress. And he had not expected so many people to show up. He was used to dancing in front of an audience, he quite liked the attention, but they were usually sitting far away in the theater. This was a bit close for comfort, especially when he was hoping not to get recognized, not as a man, and definitely not as himself. This was not something he wanted his school to find out.

The music started, and instinct kicked in. For him, dancing came more natural than breathing. He adjusted the movements slightly to make them look more feminine, more delicate, and immersed himself in the dance. He became the movements and the movements became him. He danced his heart out. He could hear the crowd go 'Ooh' and 'Waah' as he did the more complicated moves. It urged him on, pushed him to give it his all and more. And he did. And as he finished, the crowd went wild. All the faces were beaming at him. Not one person was laughing. They were all cheering for him. He grinned, feeling slightly awkward, but happy.

Soon after, the crowd dispersed, but there was this one guy that just stood there in the corner, staring at him.

“Did you get it?” he asked Taemin.

“Did I ever! You looked great!!” Taemin waved the camcorder at him, confirming that the recording was successful. What a relief. It was all over now. It had actually been strangely fun, but he would never admit that to anyone.

That guy was still there, pacing back and forth like a crazy person, giving him furtive looks. He helped Taemin and the technician that was assisting them to gather the gear more quickly. He wanted to get out of here, fast, preferably five minutes ago.

“Ehem... ehemm... excuse me.”

Kai started as something touched his shoulder from behind. He swung around ninja-style, prepared to fight back, only to find that weird guy standing there awkwardly. He wasn't as scary up close though, he was kind of short. He was sure he could take him in a fight.

“Sorry... he he... uhm... I've never done anything like this before.” the guy grinned awkwardly. He had this soft air about him, he even talked kind of quietly. He was wearing a suit and everything looked a little bit too tidy. His hair looked like he had taken the time to place each and every strand of hair in its right place.

“I... I ehm... oh, I'll just come out and say it! You are the most beautiful girl I have ever seen in my entire life!” the weirdo stated a little bit more loudly. What a lame pickup line, Kai thought. There was nothing not lame about that guy. Even his body language was lame and awkward. He acted like he was 20 years older than he looked, minimum. At least he had good taste though, Kai smirked.

“Boy am I glad I had a lunch meeting nearby. You dance like an angel! A beautiful, exquisite angel.” he beamed at him. “I'm sure you get this all the time, and I'm sorry if I'm bothering you, but is there any chance I could get your number?”.

“Uuuuhm...” Kai was so taken aback that he had no idea what to say. Standing this close, how could he not see he was a guy. Sure, his get up was pretty believable, but if you looked closely there was no way you wouldn't realize that he wasn't really a girl. Did this guy have brain damage or something? Was his vision severely impaired? It took all of two seconds for him to determine that he was straight as an arrow, that guy, but yet he was hitting on him? This was the weirdest situation in which he had ever found himself.

“Can I ask for your name?” he asked hopefully.

“Kai.” Kai automatically replied. He froze. He was supposed to be a girl. Ah. Crap. “...ya.” he added in a hurry, using a higher voice than usual to try and pass as a woman.

“Kaya. Wow. That's a pretty name. Beautiful and exotic. It suits you.” the guy blushed from head to toe. “I'm Suho. So nice to meet you.” he smiled a little too politely.

Taemin snorted. Kai jumped and turned around. Taemin had been listening to their entire conversation.

“What are you waiting for, give him your number!!” he chuckled, nodding towards the guy. “Do it, do it.” he grinned. He obviously found this whole situation hilarious.

Kai kept waiting for Suho to discover his mistake before it was too late, but when he showed no signs of having any clue at all, he figured this idiot deserved to be duped. So he gave him his number.

“Thank you! I will definitely be in touch!” Suho beamed, bowing slightly as he took his leave. How could one guy be so proper and improper at the same time. He almost felt bad having given him false hope, since he had almost skipped away, happily bouncing along, thinking he had won the lottery. Way to keep your cool, Kai thought as he shook his head. Still, he couldn't help being a tiny bit flattered.

 

 

“Has your new boyfriend called you yet?” Taemin giggled in the front seat of the car.

“Shut up.” Kai pouted. He folded his arms and looked out the window.

“It's crazy though. You actually make a ridiculously beautiful girl. You can't really blame the guy.” Taemin added as a passing afterthought.

Kai blushed. He could feel his insides melting at the sweet compliment.