Kai

Kai-ya and His Straight Boyfriend

 

There was a quick knock at the door.

“Ah, Taemin-ah, did you loose your key again?” Kai chuckled on his way to the door. He had given him a key for emergencies, but Taemin always just used it to let himself in.

“I thought we were meeting at the academy, didn't we say rehearsal room 602?” he asked confused as he opened the door. He gasped, feeling his muscles freeze in place. It wasn't Taemin.

“Uhhhhmmmm...” Suho just stared at him, his jaw the floor. Kai couldn't move. He hadn't expected it to be Suho. He hadn't even considered the possibility of it being him. Why hadn't he checked the peephole before opening? But in his defense, it was not normal to surprise visit someone at 8 o'clock in the morning. He could feel the terror sink its sharp claws into him. He had no idea what to say. This was a grave he was not going to be able to dig himself out of.

“Oh! You must be Kaya's brother!” Suho pulled himself together and stuck out his hand. “Sorry, I just... you and Kaya are so alike that it's unbelievable!” he added, astonished, still holding out his hand.

It was unbelievable alright.

“I'm Suho, Kaya's boyfriend.” he said cheerfully, abandoning his attempt at a handshake when Kai's hand very passive aggressively didn't budge from his side. He was not going to touch him, since he was probably going to recognize him the moment the sparks started to fly between them. He needed to get rid of him, and fast.

“Oh... he he.... yeah, I've heard a lot about you.” he laughed feebly, feeling his entire world crashing down on him in slow motion. It was like watching a car crash happen right in front of your eyes. The car was suspended in midair, and you could see the passengers through the window, who had no idea they were staring disaster in the eyes.

“All good I hope.” Suho snorted awkwardly. Everything that annoyed him about Suho was starting to become cute and endearing. It wasn't a good sign. Maybe Suho wouldn't be the only one with a broken heart after the car hit the ground head on.

He wasn't sure what to do. Was it better to let Suho realize it was him on his own, or was it better to hurry up and tell him, and get it over with.

“Hehh... ehmm Kaya's already left for practice.” he said in an uncharacteristically deep voice. He sounded like a really bad theater actor. He was trying to wrap this up quickly, using all his strength not to shut the door in Suho's face. His fight or flight response was pushing him to do whatever it took to get out of this situation as fast as possible, preferably five minutes ago, but if he slammed the door on Suho's nose, it would only cause more suspicion.

“Oh... I didn't realize she'd leave so early.” Suho mumbled, glancing at the bag he was holding, looking extremely disappointed. “I wanted to surprise her with breakfast.” he added, deflated. Kai got the urge to hug him, to make it all better, but he resisted it. Imagine Suho's face if he threw himself in his arms without any explanation. He kind of did want to know how he would react, but he didn't dare risk it.

“Uh, do you maybe want it? It would be a shame to let it go to waste.” Suho handed him the paper bag, his sad eyes a thousand miles away, probably thinking about Kaya.

Kai's heart couldn't take it.

“Emm... do you maybe... wanna... come.. in?” he heard himself saying. No, no, NO!!! What was he doing?!?! He was trying to get rid of him. This was the opposite of that!! What the heck was he thinking?! Although... it would be interesting to test how Suho reacted to him as a guy.

“How can I refuse my future brother in law!” Suho chuckled dorkily, grinning awkwardly as he squeezed himself through the almost nonexistent gap in the door. Kai still hadn't let him in.

“Wait, what was your name again?” Suho looked back at him.

“Eh... Kai.” he said hesitantly, cursing himself for not having the sense to make something up.

“Ha ha! Kai and Kaya, your parents are funny!” Suho snickered.

 

As they devoured the feast Suho had brought, Kai secretly monitored him. He was dying to find out whether he suspected anything. He had to have noticed how exactly alike they were, him and Kaya. After all, they were the same person!

Suho caught him gawking at him, Kai's heart jumping as Suho looked him straight in the eyes. For a brief moment, they just sat there, staring at each other. The hairs on the back of Kai's neck stood on end.

“I can't get over it. You're the spitting image of Kaya. If you would pop a wig on your head, you could almost pass for her.” Suho shook his head in astonishment. He had no idea how spot on he really was.

“Pfft, she's way more stubborn and way more dramatic than me.” Kai crossed his arms, like he was annoyed at his imaginary sister, realizing he was actually just making fun of himself.

“She really is stubborn and dramatic, isn't she.” Suho had a sudden attack of the giggles. Kai didn't find it as funny, trying with great difficulty to fake laugh as he cursed him under his breath. He wasn't stubborn, he just knew what he wanted and went after it. He was tenacious!

 

They talked all through breakfast. Suho was much more relaxed with him, than he was with Kaya, which was perhaps not the best of signs. But he did laugh a lot, so he clearly didn't dislike him, and the atmosphere between them was everything but neutral. He could totally picture them together. They could be so happy together, if only he would overlook the tiny detail that stood between them.

Suho told him a lame joke, which was so lame, that the fact that he was geeky enough to actually tell it was hilarious, causing him to laugh. Suho laughed too, having no idea that he was laughing at him and not with him. In the end it didn't matter, they were having fun. He was starting to let his guard down. He felt relaxed, too relaxed. Without thinking, he reached for Suho's hand, the back of his hand gently before coming to his senses and jerking his hand back, continuing to laugh to try and cover up the instant panic that had taken his body hostage.

Suho had reacted to him, there was no question about it. The moment he had touched him, he became more rigid and he looked more alert and apprehensive, moving his hands further away from him. He was uncomfortable touching him. Maybe there was hope after all, maybe he could fall in love with him as a guy. He wanted to come out to him right now, and start their real life together, without all the acting and pretending, but still he couldn't do it.

“It's incredible how alike you two are. And I don't just mean looks. You must be really good friends.” Suho noted, looking more suspicious than before.

“Ah, you know. Just like any other siblings, I guess.” Kai was starting to feel like he actually had a sister, his brain fabricating a past where he and his twin sister used to play together, where she stole his toys and they would get into a fight over it.

“We really should make plans to meet up the three of us and do something fun together!” Suho exclaimed, looking like he had just gotten an epiphany. Right, like that was ever going to happen.

“Double date, maybe!! If you don't already have a partner, I know a lot of gorgeous, eligible women for you.” Suho sent him a big-shot wink.

“Mmmh, they're probably not my type.” Kai scrunched his nose, finding the idea of dating a girl utterly repulsive.

“Oh, what's your ideal type, then?” Suho's eyes lit up, filled with genuine interest.

“Me and Kaya have really similar tastes.” he ventured, smirking.

“Hahh.. ha... uh.. I don't think I know any girls that look like me... he he he...” Suho instantly turned beet red.

“Shame... ha ha...” Kai retorted in what was supposed to be a sarcastic, funny voice, but it ended up sounding more sincere than originally intended. Awkward.

“Speaking of...” Suho whipped his phone out of his pocket. “I should send Kaya a message, make her jealous that we're having such a nice time without her.” he chuckled.

Kai nodded, imagining how annoyed Kaya would get that they were teaming up against her, and then he realized not only that he was Kaya, but he had her phone!! Oh no! What to do? Suho looked like he was about finished typing his message. Should he run to the toilet real quick? Would he be fast enough? Although.. it would look pretty weird if he suddenly jumped up and ran to the toilet, like there had been something wrong with the food. He was out of time. Suho pressed send. Kai started coughing really loudly to mask the sound of his phone vibrating in his pocket.

"Are you okay?" Suho handed him his glass of water. Kai drank a big gulp.

“Hmm... no answer. Normally she replies right away. Maybe she lost herself in the rehearsal, she's such a dedicated dancer. One doesn't get that good without putting in some hard work.” Suho looked like he was bursting from pride.

“Yeah... he he... maybe.” Kai tried to look like he wasn't carrying a ticking time bomb in his pocket.

“Hey, wait, Kaya never told me what you do. Did you say you were meeting Taemin later for practice? So you're also a dancer?” Suho started putting two and two together.

“Uh... yeah.” he couldn't think of any other way to explain the discrepancies in their story, crossing his fingers that he would buy it.

“Wow! Great! Hopefully I can see you both dance sometime.” Suho beamed. If only he could grant his wish.

“Anyway, I must get going, else I'll make us both late.” he did this weird 'funny office man' laugh and stood up.

Kai followed him to the door, and when Suho turned to him to say his final goodbyes, Kai leaned in for a kiss. It had been pure instinct, his body reacting to his hearts wishes. Oh, crap! He froze for a second, his face only inches from Suho's, who's eyes stared widely back at him, filled with surprise and shock. He was so drawn to him, it was difficult not to say to hell with it all and just kiss him. Kai's brain was on overdrive, fumbling for an excuse that could explain why he was all up in his face. He could feel sparks go off in his head, as all the neural pathways fired up, working together to try and save him.

Ah!

“If you so much as hurt a hair on my sister's head... if she sheds so much as half a tear over you...” Kai said menacingly in a whisper, signing with a hand movement across the neck that his life would be in danger.

“But thanks for breakfast, I had a blast.” he straightened out and sent him a sweet smile. What a brilliant save!

Suho looked like he had just been run over by an 18-wheeler.

“Eh.... yeah... uhm... heh... it was nice to finally meet you.” Suho said, shaken, before running away as fast as he could without actually running.

 

Kai let himself fall backwards onto the couch. He was exhausted and the day had only just begun.