Lovey Dovey

Kai-ya and His Straight Boyfriend

 

“You still haven't slept together?!” Taemin's jaw hit the floor at record speed. “Man, how do you survive? Why bother if you're not going to get any?!”.

“It's not like that. He.. he likes me...like... really likes me.” Kai blushed, his cheeks turning into two furnaces.

“He kind of sounds like he's in denial.” Taemin pondered, trying to figure out why an otherwise smart guy hadn't solved Kai's not so mysterious mystery yet. Kai could only hope. Denial would mean he was actually gay, and then there was no problem, they could just be together, no games, no lies. But that was probably wishful thinking.

“Didn't you say he was super picky when it came to girls? Has he even had a girlfriend, like...ever?” Taemin asked, convinced he had solved this difficult conundrum. If only.

“Dunno...” Kai shrugged. Maybe it was time to do some digging.

 

“Ah, there's my beauty queen.” Suho grinned proudly. Kai wanted to be annoyed at how silly and cheesy he was being, but it was difficult when he made him feel like he really was the most beautiful girl in the entire world.

“Where to, mademoiselle?” he jokingly bowed, giggling like an idiot. Since he had planned all their dates up until now, Kai wanted to be the one to choose an activity for once.

“Lotte World!” he exclaimed in a high pitched tone, covering his face and giggling in embarrassment afterwards, he sounded like an idiot. Like a teenager with a cracked voice. But then again, he kind of felt like a teenager. He had this fluttering, excited feeling in his gut, like he couldn't wait for the future to start, blown away by all the potential it offered.

“Ehhh...” Suho's smile disappeared, being replaced by a skeptical scowl. He was still handsome, even then. Kai was developing a thing for the weird dent that appeared in his cheeks every time he smiled or made strange faces. It was almost like a dimple, just a really elongated one. And you never really knew when it was going to show up, but when it did, Kai's flock of butterflies rejoiced. Every single time.

“Could you maybe pick somewhere else...” he suggested.

“You said I could choose.” Kai pouted, crossing his arms.

“I know, but...” he tried to change his mind, clearly not over the moon over the prospect of visiting Seoul's most popular theme park.

“Oppaaaaa...” Kai pouted even harder, not ready to give up. He really wanted to have a fun, normal couple date-day. Also, he had been so focused on his dancing, that he hadn't been to a theme park since he was a little kid.

Suho sighed. “Okay.” he said defeated.

 

“Come on! Let's try the roller coaster!!” Kai exclaimed excitedly once they were in, grabbing Suho's hand and dragging him along.

“The roller coaster?!? ...you want to... start with that?” Suho tried to pull him into another direction, but Kai didn't give in.

 

“Uh oh...” pearls of sweat were forming on Suho's forehead as the staff checked their security belts. He looked like he was trying to maintain his manly protector image, but he was shaking like a leaf. It was the cutest thing Kai had ever seen. Suho was usually so composed and perfect looking, always trying to do and say the right thing, but now he was just a scared, little cutie. It made him seem more human. Kai finally believed he was real, and not some fairy tale prince's older, more responsible brother.

When their car started moving, Suho winced. Kai couldn't help but giggle at that adorable idiot. He could fearlessly run a successful company and lead thousands of employees every day, no problem. But he couldn't handle a short theme park ride. He was such a silly dork.

The track became steeper and steeper, leading them to the top where a huge drop was just waiting for them. Suho's hand grabbed the air repeatedly until he found Kai's hand, locking them together and not letting go for anything. He squeezed it, so hard that it almost hurt. So cute. Kai wasn't sure if his heart was racing because they were about to plummet to their imminent death, or because Suho was holding his hand.

And then they dropped and both of them screamed like they were a couple of ladies being tortured with some kind of a medieval torture device.

 

“Ooh!! Let's ride that one next!!” Kai rode the adrenaline high, dragging Suho along to every other ride in the park.

 

When Suho's legs were so wobbly, he could barely stand anymore, Kai figured it was a good time to take a break. He didn't get why Suho didn't just say no if he was so scared, but the whole time he was very unsuccessfully trying to hide his terror, feebly laughing like he was having a good time.

“Oh! Oh!! Let's buy matching head bands!!” Kai pointed at a street cart selling all kinds of silly, cute head bands with bows that lit up or oversized bunny ears, or Mickey Mouse ears, or devil's horns, and so many more. He had decided not to hold back, since for the first time since they started going out he was free from the guilt, from the constant worry of how to tell him, when to tell him, and what would happen when he told him. Now, he just wanted to have fun. There was no telling when this fairy tale would reach its end, so Kai was going to make sure they had a blast while it lasted, making precious memories that would last forever, even if their relationship didn't.

“Naaaahhh... aren't we too old for that?” Suho objected.

“You're never too old for that!! Oh! Oh! They have couple ones! Let's get those!!!” Kai pointed at fluffy head bands with two hearts that stuck out on a thin spring, bouncing around.

“How about we get the devil ones instead?” Suho suggested, sending him a hopeful glance.

“I want the heart ones.” Kai grinned.

Suho chuckled, slowly getting into it, buying them two. One red and one purple. Suho handed Kai the red one and put on the purple one.

“Actually, purple Is my favorite color.” he admitted, embarrassed. The hearts bounced around on his head, making Kai laugh. It was so not in style with Suho's fancy CEO look. Finally, some chaos to mess up his look. Kai had been right, it only made him look more appealing. He wished he could just casually kiss him, like it was no big deal. But their first kiss was a big deal. And he wanted Suho to instigate it. So he waited, even though he was running out of patience.

 

After the Viking Ship, Suho turned green.

“I... I can't... no more...” Suho waved, stumbling down the path like he was completely wasted.

“Okay, okay.” Kai agreed. It would defeat the purpose if Suho didn't make it out alive.

 

They went to a quiet, high end restaurant in the neighborhood. It was a little more Suho's speed. He was back in his element. His face had almost returned to its original color and he was back in charge. It suited him. He was a practical version of the dream guy every girl fantasized about. Every girl... and him.

“Sooo... why hasn't anyone snatched you up already?” Kai asked when Suho was done ordering food for them. He tried to make it sound like it was just a fleeting curiosity, and not an in depth interrogation, which it obviously was.

“Oh, ehm, I don't know..” Suho blushed, not knowing how to respond to this sudden archaeological dig into his past.

“I mean... you've had girlfriends before, right?” Kai pushed, he really wanted a proper answer. It was important.

“Well... yeah... or like.. I've dated, of course... but I've only had one serious girlfriend before.” Suho finally confessed, not looking very comfortable with the choice of topic. Kai nodded, signaling to him to go on. He felt like his ears had grown two sizes, just so he didn't miss a single word.

“Uhm... so uhm... we were kind of engaged to be married...” he scratched his head awkwardly.

“What? Why? What happened? How can you be 'kind of engaged'?” Kai exclaimed. He couldn't believe it. Or he could, but he just didn't want to. He started getting nervous that maybe Suho had just had cold feet, that when he found out he was a guy, he would run back to that tramp. Okay, she probably wasn't a tramp, but he needed to believe she was.

“Sooo.. I broke up with her two weeks before the wedding...” Suho stared at the table, picking at the table cloth. Kai's heart sank, getting caught in a tar pit that had manifest itself in his gut. So he did get cold feet.

“She was a nice girl, nothing wrong with her, and it would actually have been really good for the company if we would have gotten married. It was the right, practical thing to do. But strangely, I couldn't go through with it. Sure, I cared about her in my own way, but the spark was missing. I wasn't in love with her.” he calmly explained. “I didn't know I was so romantic.” he added, chuckling dorkily.

“I usually do what is expected of me. I'm a pragmatic guy, but I just couldn't do it.” he sighed.

“And luckily I didn't! It was so worth it, for now I've found what was missing.... you.” he looked up, right into Kai's eyes, beaming. Kai's trapped heart melted into a puddle.

“How did I get so lucky? How were you single? I thank my lucky stars every day I ran into you that day.” he was clearly asking for Kai's story in return for opening up about his past.

“Mmmmmmhh... I'd rather not talk about it...” Kai deflected. He really didn't want to talk about it. It hurt. And he felt foolish having let himself fall for such a jerk, not realizing what was going on right in front of his nose. He had been naive and overly trusting. He was never going to make that mistake again.

“No problem! You don't have to tell me. The past is the past, we aren't defined by our old relationships. This is now, and the now has only the two of us.” Suho smiled encouragingly. Ugh, he was going to get permanent acne from all the cheesiness, he thought, involuntarily giggling.

 

“I almost forgot. I have a present for you.” Suho grinned widely and reached for a fancy paper bag in the backseat of the car. They were parked in front of Kai's apartment building.

“For me?” Kai snatched the bag out of Suho's hands like he was five years old at Christmas. Then he realized that the gift was for Kaya, not him, a faint ache visiting his chest. He was still just a visitor in this relationship, it wasn't his. He tried to shake the thought out of his head. It was him, he was Kaya, Suho loved him. Or at least a part of him, he convinced himself.

Kai gasped. It was a designer bag. It looked crazy expensive. And it wasn't even that feminine, it was sort of uni. He had expected something super girly that he could only use when he was playing the role of Kaya, but it was actually kind of cool. He stared at it blankly, not believing Suho had been able to pick out something so stylish, maybe there was hope for him after all. If he had such good taste, why didn't he use it on himself? Sure, his suits were fancy, but they were kind of dull.

“Do you like it? The shop assistant helped me pick it out. I told her all about you, and she said this one would be perfect. Is it okay?” Suho asked, anxiously waiting for his reaction.

“It's... amazing. But.. I can't use such an expensive bag, I always lose my bags, I told you that...” Kai sighed, a little disappointed in himself. He wanted to treasure it and carry it with him always, but he didn't have the confidence not to lose it.

“No, it's okay! It has a locator chip!!! So we can always find it! I listen, you know.” Suho smiled triumphantly, proud at how resourceful he was.

“Uuuhm... that kind of sounds like you're stalking me...” Kai snorted. How could he never do anything normally. The super-dork always had to shine through.

“Oh.. he he... “ Suho scratched his forehead. “I did have them set the app up on my phone. But no worries, we can go to the store and switch it to your phone. I was just worried you would lose your phone along with your bag.”. He had a point.

 

After he had thanked him for the gift, he lingered a moment, just in case Suho would man up and kiss him. The atmosphere had turned extra awkward and Suho took off his safety belt. Kai held his breath. He was definitely going to kiss him. Finally, after what felt like an eternity, the moment had arrived. It was going to be their first kiss. Kai wet his lips, and stealthily shifted in the seat to set up the best kissing angle. All his insides dissolved into butterflies, he was strangely nervous. It wasn't like he had never done this before. But he wasn't sure if girls kissed differently than boys. Maybe they were softer, somehow. Or had some secret kissing methods only girls knew of. Would he notice the difference? He prepared himself to look enticingly into Suho's eyes, but Suho disappeared out the door. Where was he going?

The door on Kai's side opened.

“Let me you to your door.” Suho held out his hand. Kai never knew it was possible to be a gentleman to such a degree that it was mind-blowingly frustrating. He was going insane. Still, he let him take his hand and help him out of the car. He had yet to master the art of getting out of a car in a dress, it was harder than one would think.

 

Kai took his keys out and fumbled with them, making it look like he was trying to find which one opened his front door, but he was just buying some more time. He didn't want to say goodbye. Suho stood pretty close to him, but it felt like they were light years apart. More than a kiss, he just wanted him to hold him. He wanted to feel him, to connect with him on a physical level. But Suho was so proper, he always made sure to maintain an appropriate distance between them. He wasn't sure how much longer he could take it.

“Ehemm... so ... uh... “ Suho looked more awkward than usual.

“Would it be okay... if I ... hehh...” Suho turned completely red.

“Ugh! Just kiss me already!!!” Kai said, annoyed, grabbing Suho's shirt and pulling him so forcefully towards him that his back slammed into the front door, their lips finally finding each other, locking together in a warm kiss. It took Kai completely by surprise. He had kissed his fair share of guys, but he had never felt anything like this before. His stomach twisted into a pretzel, his every heartbeat sending a thunderous wave of electricity through his body.

Suho tasted really good, like fresh mint. He had apparently been planning this, or at least been hoping for it, secretly popping a mint somewhere on the way. Silly dork. A warm, bubbly feeling filled Kai's chest, making him wish this kiss would last forever.

A soft, little moan escaped from Suho as he leaned in closer, prying Kai's lips apart, introducing their tongues to each other. Kai's stomach pretzel imploded as he lost himself in the kiss. There existed nothing but the two of them. He wanted him so bad, it physically hurt. He wanted to break through the door and lead him to his bedroom, but there was no way. Suho tightened their embrace as the kiss deepened. An arrow of panic shot through Kai's gut. They were too close together, Suho was going to discover the bonus surprise his dress was barely managing to hide. He had to act fast and he had to act now. He pushed Suho away, a bit too harshly so Suho flew backwards, shock painted all over his face. Kai panicked. How was he going to explain his actions?

After an awkward, embarrassed giggle-fit, Kai confessed. “I have to tell you something.”.

“I'm saving myself for marriage.” he tried to sound girly and shy. Wow, what a nice save. He just thought of that on the spot. Nice one, brain!

“Uh.. oh... ah yeah... yeah, yes... no.. no problem!” Suho scratched the back of his head, probably wishing the Earth would swallow him up. “I... uhm... I wasn't going to... hehh...”. Even Suho's hands turned red.

“Emm... yeah... emm... okay... good, good... yeah, of course... uhh... good night.” Suho mumbled, standing on his toes to plant a soft, quick little kiss on his cheek. And then he left as fast as he could.

 

 

'Are you asleep?'

'I thought about you the whole way home >.<'

Suho's messages flashed on the screen. Kai was already in bed, but there was no way he was getting a moment of sleep. His heart was having a party in his chest, his brain still drunk on the kiss.

 

 

 

__________________________________________

A/N: just cuz we're on the subject, kaiho in Lotte World kkk *^^*

Merry Christmas ☆