Special Night

Kai-ya and His Straight Boyfriend

 

“He he... too much?” Suho chuckled feebly, his face turning pink. It was kind of cute.

“Uhm...” Kai was still in shock. His name, or well, almost his name, was written in huge letters made out of light on the side of a gigantic building, for all to see. 'Too much' didn't even begin to describe it. “...maybe for a first date.” he laughed awkwardly. He couldn't help being a little bit touched over all the trouble Suho was going to, to make this an unforgettable date. It was unforgettable alright. It would have been unforgettable no matter what, since this was his first and last date dressed as a girl, but this was taking it to another level. He could feel his heart getting greedy. He wanted to enjoy it. He wanted to forget about everything else, and just enjoy being a princess for one night. One little night.

“Ah.. yeah. I figured. You're just such an amazing girl, I couldn't help myself. I wanted tonight to be special.” Suho grinned, embarrassed.

Amazing, maybe. A girl... not so much.

Just then the food arrived. Suho was not kidding. It was like a feast for 12 people at least. Everything looked really delicious. He didn't know where to start. And he didn't have to. Suho started picking out the best parts of each dish and putting them on Kai's plate. He watched his plate fill up with expensive, exquisite food, but all he could see was Suho's heart. Why did he have to be so caring? And why was he so lame and outdated? It was driving him nuts. For some reason, this guy he barely knew was able to push all his buttons, both the good ones and the not so nice ones. As he watched him carefully preparing the food, he noticed how handsome he really was. He hadn't really stopped to really look at him. He had this delicately manly air about him, his features soft and pretty, yet masculine. It was kind of charming, but he was way too square and tidy for his taste.

As his stomach growled, upset that he had all this gourmet food right in front of his nose and yet he wasn't feeding it any of it, he couldn't wait any longer. He started digging in. He was hungrier than he had realized, devouring the entire plate in a matter of minutes.

“Wow! You eat like a guy!” Suho giggled. Kai froze, almost choking on the bite that stopped half way down his throat. He had been discovered. It happened earlier than he had expected. Okay. Okay. It had to happen sooner or later. He would have preferred later though. He swallowed with difficulty. What was he going to say? It was one thing for Suho to mistake him for a girl, but he had actually gone along with it and purposefully deceived him. He felt bad. It had just been a joke. A joke that he perhaps had taken a little too far. But looking into Suho's beaming eyes, he realized he had been playing with real feelings. He didn't want those proud, hopeful eyes to turn on him, to look at him with hurt and contempt. He wasn't ready. He bit his lip.

“No, no.. I like it!” Suho smiled widely. “It's good to have a healthy appetite. Taking one bite and pretending you're full, that's not charming. There's nothing more attractive than being a healthy eater.” Suho said beaming as he happily cut a big piece of steak and put it on Kai's plate. Oh, that guy! He still didn't have a clue! What an idiot! Kai let out the breath he had been holding. Why was he so relieved? He wanted him to find out, didn't he? He had to find out. After all, he wasn't a girl, so he couldn't keep up the facade forever. But he had bought himself some extra time and for some reason he was glad.

 

The scare of being caught ended up lowering his protective shield just enough to let Suho catch a glimpse of his true self. Feeling he was already out of time, he started chattering away, telling Suho all kinds of unimportant stuff that he probably had no interest in. But Suho patiently listened and nodded and aha-ed at the right moments. He told him about his ballet hero, who was coming to town to do a one day only show that had been sold out for months. He had joined the ticketing war himself, and when he lost he had been depressed for days. Even Taemin, with his connections, couldn't get a hold of one, let alone two tickets. Suho sympathized, reaching out and very gently his forearm, which felt kind of tingly, but nice.

“Your voice is really deep.” Suho noted. Kai's heart jumped into his throat, blocking him for saying another word. It was all over. He had finally caught on. It was a miracle that it had lasted this long. Kai mentally kicked himself for not having chosen a more appropriate voice. Maybe he had wanted to get caught, that saved him from having to tell him himself. He couldn't really remember why he was doing this in the first place, the joke wasn't funny anymore. He wanted to come clean, but he wasn't sure Suho would forgive him. Still, it was Suho's fault in the first place, for being so daft to think he was a girl. It was actually pretty unbelievable, because Suho came across as a really smart, highly educated guy. Maybe he hadn't had much experience in the love department. Maybe he needed glasses and didn't realize it.

“I could listen to it for hours, it's so beautiful.” Suho smiled. “And quite charming.” he added and let out a short giggle, briefly avoiding eye contact. Kai couldn't help but melt a little bit. He nervously waited for him to put the pieces together, but there were no signs of any kind of displeasure. He looked like he was having a nice time.

Kai's stomach complained.

“Uhm, I'll just pop to the toilet real quick.” he said embarrassed.

“Oh, I have to go too, I'll you.” Suho stood up and offered him his arm. Oh no! Did that mean he had to go to the girls' bathroom? It was not like he could just casually enter the men's bathroom with him, pick a stall and just whip it out next to him and pee like nothing was more natural. His heart started racing. The girls' bathroom. He had never been there in his life. It had always been this mystical girls only place where who knew what happened. Girls always took forever in the bathroom, maybe it was really complicated. He bit his lip. And what if there was someone there already, what if someone discovered he wasn't really a girl? Would they call the police? He chewed on his lip a bit. He was getting really scared, but it wasn't like he could tell Suho any of this. All he could do was chuckle awkwardly and take his hand.

They came to a halt in front of the women's bathroom. On the door there was a drawing of a ballerina in a tutu in the arabesque position.

"Oh, she looks like you." Suho beamed.

"Eh... yeah... he he..." he eyed the door with dread. He was really going to have to do this. Maybe he should just tell him right now, get it over with.

An arrow of panic shot through his gut.

Or maybe not.

"Here I go..." he laughed feebly and detached himself from Suho. It felt like letting go of a security blanket. 'Prison here I come' he thought, wondering what the sentence was for purposefully infiltrating the women's bathroom in disguise.

"Phew!". As far as Kai could see, there was no one there. What luck! He wasn't sure whether it was because they were at a crazy fancy restaurant or because it was the girls' restroom, but it smelled really nice in there, like potpourri. It was probably the nicest toilet he had ever been to. He was momentarily distracted by how sparkly clean everything was, but realized he had to act fast, before someone came and his undercover identity would be discovered. He kind of felt like he was the lead in a spy movie.

He was glad to discover that the basics were pretty much the same as in the men's toilet, but after fighting with his spanx for ridiculously long, lost in the stretchiness, not excepting defeat, he realized why women took so long in here.

As he exited the bathroom he walked right into someone.

"Oh, I'm sor..." Kai's eyes grew double their size. It was Suho. He had been standing outside the door, waiting for him.

"You didn't have to wait for me." he said, still in shock. It was actually kind of creepy, in a weirdly sweet way.

"I didn't want you to get lonely on the way back." Suho gave him the cheesiest look yet. Ugh, that guy. Why did he always have to be so tacky? And where the hell was he getting these cheesy lines from? His heart twitched when Suho placed his hand gently on his back, between his shoulder blades, and walked him back to the table.

 

Kai took his phone out and attempted to take selfie with his building before they left, he wanted to have some evidence to show Taemin or he would never believe him. But the moment he took the picture, the red Kaya lights went out.

"Awh..." he said with disappointment. Suho immediately grabbed his phone and started dialing.

"What are you doing?" Kai asked.

"Don't worry, I'm going to make them turn the lights back on." Suho answered, determined.

"No, no!! It's okay! I already have a picture in here." he shyly pointed at his head. He couldn't imagine how expensive it had been to have a whole building named after him in lights, let alone making them turn them back on. It was Suho's decision to do it the first time, but the second time would be his own doing, and he didn't want to owe him anything. Not when he was moments from breaking his heart.

"Okay, come on, let's go. I have something special planned." Suho gave him what he could only guess was supposed to be a mysterious smile, but he just looked like he was having a mini-seizure.

"Wait, there's more?" He asked surprised. He didn't know what to do. He had to tell him the truth, but he was also curious what crazy thing he had planned next.

"Of course! A special night for a special girl.” Suho sent him a wink that was so unsmooth that he got goose bumps. His cheeks also started heating up, maybe he was embarrassed on Suho's behalf.

 

"Ta-Da!" Suho spread out a fluffy blanket for them to sit on and watch the rainbow fountain at Banpo bridge. A very classic date and tourist spot. This night was sounding more and more like an internet search for the perfect date.

"No snacks?" Kai asked after they had watched the fountain for a while. He was feeling peckish.

"Snacks? We just ate..." Suho looked at him like he was crazy. He pouted, turning his gaze towards the ice cream truck that was parked not far from them.

"You can't just pout and expect to get everything you want. We only just ate, how can you eat more?" Suho said, chuckling. Kai was not about to let him tell him what he could and could not do. Challenge accepted. He was going to attack him with a pout-storm until he caved. He made his eyes slightly bigger and pushed his lips even further out, making the biggest pout ever. He looked Suho straight in the eyes, pouting with his eyes as well. Suho turned completely red, averting his eyes sooner than he had expected.

"Okay, so maybe it kind of works." Suho giggled and fished his card out of his jacket pocket and handed it to him. "Get whatever you want." he laughed and shook his head, defeated.

Kai grinned and ran to the ice cream truck, getting all kinds of delicious treats for them to munch on.

"You've got to try this." Kai said with his mouth full, handing Suho a cup of mint chocolate ice cream.

"No I couldn't, I'm way too full." Suho pushed the cup away.

"You don't know? Everyone has a separate stomach compartment dedicated solely to ice cream." Kai explained, taking his spoon and making the perfect size bite ready, before making it fly towards Suho's mouth. Suho shook his head a couple of more times, before reluctantly opening his mouth. Kai was so focused on the task that he didn't realize that not only the spoon had moved closer to Suho, but he had leaned in with it, placing their faces awkwardly close to each other. Kai's heart did a double take. This was a perfect moment for Suho to plant a kiss on him, he worried, shivering in horror. Still, he kind of lingered to see what would happen, but nothing did.

"Mmm that's pretty good." Suho said, completely clueless, smiling kindly. Did he really like him as much as he claimed to do, if he could resist kissing him when he was this close to him? Did he not feel the pull his lips had? He had pretty nice lips, even if he said so himself.

He pulled back, frustrated at how utterly lame, awkward and uncool Suho was. But then he realized that this was actually to his benefit. It was not like he wanted to kiss him. He looked at his lips, they were way too tiny anyway. It might be super cute, but they were probably not good for kissing. Relieved that he hadn't been put in the position where he had to find that out first hand, he looked down and saw a huge bug crossing their blanket, heading straight for one of his legs. He instantly freaked out, leaping into Suho's arms, holding his legs in midair so they wouldn't touch the blanket. Suho put his arm around his back and used his other arm to heroically shake the blanket so the bug flew off it. Kai's heart was pounding. He hated bugs, absolutely hated them. He shivered.

"It's gone." Suho his back very softly to reassure him. Their eyes met. Why didn't he kiss him? Why didn't he even try? He didn't get it. This was the perfect opportunity.

When Kai was back sitting on his spot on the blanket, far away from Suho compared to earlier, he started to feel strangely annoyed at him, even though he was thankful that he didn't have to avoid a kiss. It was just annoying how Suho did everything so old-fashioned and proper. It was getting him nowhere.

Kai took a deep breath. He was going to tell him. It was time.

"I'd really like it if we could go out again. Will you do me the honor of lending me another one of your precious free nights?" Suho asked him softly, his eyes childishly hopeful, yet realistic.

It was really hard to reject him right to his face, after he had literally saved his life just a few moments ago, having to watch those hopeful eyes turn dark and sad after everything he had done for him tonight. He decided it was best just to reject him later in a message.

He nodded shyly.