First Date

Career Focused
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Before Solar leaves my office I call out to her , “Oh and Solar -ssi.” She turns around while adjusting the files she’s carrying in her hand. Maybe I’m biased but she looks so hot in her work clothes. Today she chose to wear tight black pants with a white shirt buttoned down too much and a matching black blazer. Admittedly my eyes keep trailing to her visible cleavage,  “ The Luna S is releasing tomorrow so I was wondering if you wanted to celebrate.”

“I’ll call Hwasa and see if we can organize a —”

“Just us!” I interrupt as she’s obviously in work mode,  “I um… don’t want a big party.” 

“Oh…” She takes a moment of realization, “Sure I’d love t—” She cuts herself off for some reason, “I mean you’ve been working really hard on it so we should celebrate.” She says shyly. For some reason she’s been kind of timid today.

“Great I’ll send you the details.” I say with a smile 

“Great.” She replies 

“Great.” I say again with a smirk 

She smiles lightly and visibly rolls her eyes before leaving the room. That’s more like her. Maybe I was just imagining it. Date plan successful I smile to myself. 

*** 

“You’re in a good mood today. I thought you’d be more nervous with the release tomorrow.” Hwasa observes after relaying a message to me at my desk. 

“I am nervous but I’m happy that everything has finally come together.” I reply 

“Hmmm.” She looks at me suspiciously leaning onto my desk her cleavage in full view, “I don’t think this is just about the luna S. Who would have thought the Moon Byulie CEO of Moon industries would get tied down to one girl. And that girl wasn’t me.”

I laugh, “Are you jealous?”

“Maybe I am.” She smiles slyly 

I’m taken slightly off guard and I lose my words, “U-um.”

She laughs, “I’m joking unnie.” She pushes my shoulder, “You can’t get swayed so easily. You’ll get in trouble with Solar ssi.”

“What do you mean get in trouble who do you think is the boss here.” I defend 

“Solar unnie.” She replies without a moment of thought. 

“What!” I reply in shock 

“I thought for sure Solar unnie is the boss in your relationship. Am I wrong?” 

Come to think of it… 

”Uhhh… “

Hwasa laughs, “I thought so. For a CEO you’re such a bottom.”

“You’re the only one that thinks that.” I deny 

“Whatever you sayyy.” She taunts as she leaves the room 

“I’m not!” I protest as she closes the door “I’m not a bottom…” I say to myself softly 

*** 

I take a visit to the hospital after work. The hospital makes exceptions to visiting hours for me. Moon industries has made a few generous donations after all. I place a small box on the side of my dad’s table. It’s a simple black design with the signature white half moon in the centre. 

“That’s the Luna S dad. Tomorrow is the release. I did my best to stay true to Moon industries' high standards. This will be the first product we're releasing without your supervision…” I take a deep breath, “… I wish you could see it…” I hold his stationary hand, “Please wake up.”

*** 

Next day 

The day has been so full of interviews I haven’t even been able to check the reviews. OK I have had time to but I’m too nervous to. On the limo ride to the final interview of the day I nervously take out my phone and click on one of the links Hwasa sent me. Sometimes I think she’s a sadist. She didn’t even say anything she just told me to check out the review links from some influential sites. I take a deep breath to calm myself before I start reading. 

‘The new Luna S from Moon industries is light and stylish but how is the interface? Moon industries has definitely taken a risk by changing many key interface features that their customer base has become accustomed to. In our opinion the risk has paid off. The functionality has become smoother among other innovative features that will be discussed in detail below. Will this become the new standard for future smartphones?’

I almost squeal in glee but I hold back in case my driver hears. THIS IS AMAZING! IM SO HAPPY! I CANT WAIT TO TELL SOLAR! It’s her day off today so doubt she’s heard anything. A lot of the key staff have the day off to relax from the hectic work schedule up to the release. I continue scrolling through the links. There’s a few negatives here and there and a few people who are unhappy with the changes. 

If you want the same thing just keep your old phone. Why upgrade if you want nothing to change? I get slightly irritated at the few negative comments I find but I stop acknowledging them when I find myself getting too involved. Why is it that you can see one hundred positives yet get affected by one idiot who doesn’t know what they are talking about? 

*** 

Solar POV 

I had the day off today but honestly it felt like I was working. I was so nervous for Byul that I’ve been looking at phone sites all day. I think I read every review I could find. I’m so glad the reception has been good but it’s not available everywhere yet. It will still be a week before we can get some sales numbers and then I’ll have to… no stop thinking about work! Byul must be so happy. I look at my phone checking the time she said she’d pick me up at 19:00 to celebrate. It’s 19:15 and she’s still not here. I’m now considering putting make up on. Moonbyul said nothing fancy so I just put on jeans and a sweatshirt but I still don’t know where we’re going… as soon as I stand up to put some make up on I here a hoot. 

No make up it is 

“Okay mom I’m going !” I say as I start heading to the door 

“Have fun and enjoy the celebration! But not too late!” She calls from the couch 

“I got ittt!” I reply back. I told her that the company is having a celebration for the Luna S release. I mean its not a lie. It’s not like I can tell her it’s only me and my boss. 

I exit my apartment to see Moonbyul's fancy sports car and for a second I regret not dressing up more until I get closer and I see she’s also wearing jeans and a sweater, her silver hair tied in a pony tail but hidden behind a blue cap she’s wearing backwards. I enter the car a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter