New CEO

Career Focused
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“After her father’s unfortunate Ill health Moon byulie nim has become the youngest female CEO in South Korea at only 25 years of age. Moon industries has become one of the largest electronics companies in the world growing immensely in the last 2 years with the popularity of the lunaphone 8 and Luna9x. Months after Moon industries founder was hospitalized the board members agreed to appoint Moon byulie as a temporary step in while they wait for his return...” Hwasa reads from the newspaper while standing in front of my desk as I run my hand through my long silver hair waiting for the big problem that she wanted to point out since she barged her way in without even knocking. The y brunette with a stylish bob cut is one of the staff at Moon industries as well as my close friend from school. Or my only close friend from school since she was the only one who didn’t care about my dad. He’s always been pretty intimidating. 

“It all sounds fine to me. I already read it.” I finally interrupt after she gets to the part where they question my capabilities. 

“Just wait here it is.” Hwasa replies and moves her hand down the paper before continuing, “In the exclusive interview with the young CEO when asked about her ideal male celebrity she replied with ‘I thought this was an interview about the company not my love life. For the last time I have no interest in romance.’” She reads then puts her finger up stopping me from speaking before turning the page, “’But my favourite female celebrity is Krystal.’” Hwasa looks up from the paper with a judging look, “And this is why you have lesbian rumours.” She almost slams the newspaper onto my desk. 

I adjust my collar nervously, “I don’t think anyone thinks—"

“Seulgi called the company phone again. You’re lucky I answered.”

“! I didn’t even give her that number! “ I protest 

“It’s on the website stupid. Can you please stop making me deal with your one night stands. Why don’t you just I don’t know actually get a girlfriend.” 

“You know I can’t . If it gets out that I like girls it might ruin the company’s reputation. This company means everything to my dad. I have a lot going on I don’t have time for that. I don’t even leave work these days.” 

“How about I get you an assistant.” Hwasa suggests , “I’m scared you’re going to collapse like your dad.”

“Please don’t , I don’t need to deal with more people.” Just as I say that the phone rings and I sigh 


***


I can tell the company is empty, I get it’s late but how can people leave when we have to get out the Luna S smartphone in 2 months. It’s only like , I take a look at the time, 23:00… when did it get so late? I feel my eyes closing so I take a sip of my now cold coffee before opening the email sent by the design director. ‘The new designs for the Luna S project’ When I open the pdf and scroll through I only see 2 designs. I asked for 7. 

“Ahhhhhh!” I let out my frustrations while pulling my hair. I gather myself and phone the design director. 

“Hello it’s the CEO… Is that music?” I notice the loud environment 

“Yeah uh… let me go somewhere quiet .” He replies but as he walks out I hear the screams of someone asking for soju. He’s out drinking, right now, instead of working on the designs that should have been due 3 days ago. 

“Are you out drinking!? You gave me 2 ing designs! I asked for 7 and then you go out drinking! Do you think you can slack off because my dad isn’t here? I’m the new CEO so you know what don’t come to work tomorrow! You’re fired!” I snap and hang up before he can reply. 

I down the rest of my cold coffee in rage and send a voice note to hwasa, “We need a new design director “


***


I check my watch after leaving the office, 3 am. Why do I even bother leaving? My stomach rumbles. I should probably get some food I don’t think I had supper yet. I drive to one of the nearest convenience stores to get a meal. 

I see my favourite kimchi fried rice meal the last one left and reach for it but someone else had the same idea since there’s another hand on my meal. I look to see who the culprit is, I thought this place would be empty at this time . The owner of the hand is a beautiful girl with long brown hair, it looks like she’s wearing her pajamas. 

“This is the last one left. I came all the way here for it. Is it OK if I have it?” She pleads with a cute face that you don’t normally expect from a stranger. 

I let go, “Yeah sure, is there a reason you decided to drive all the way here for kimchi fried rice at 3?” I laugh 

She laughs back with a cute laugh and one of the brightest smiles I’ve seen, “This convenience store is actually pretty close to my house. I didn’t think anyone else would be here. I couldn’t sleep and I was craving it. What about you?”

“So that’s why you’re wearing pajamas. “I tease and she smiles, ,”I just got off work.”

“Only now?”

“Yeah it’s been really hectic at work. Hey how about I buy that for you?”

“Why?”

I smile, “Because you’re pretty.”

She blushes and laughs nervously, “What!?”


***


“Unnie.” I hear and mumble back 

“Unnie, did you sleep here again?” Hwasa asks and I snap out of my sleeping daze. I open my eyes and roll off the couch getting up in a hurry. 

“No! Why!? What time is it?” I check my watch and quickly rush to my office bathroom and start brushing my teeth 

Hwasa follows, “You’re even keeping a tooth brush here now? I knew I made the right decision. “

“Wht decishon?” I ask with my mouth full of toothpaste while quickly washing my face at the same time

“Remember the conversation we had the other day since then I interviewed some people and got you an assistant.”

“YOU WHAT!” 

“Have you seen yourself recently? You’re a wreck. I’ve caught you sleeping on that couch every morning this week. She’s in the other room. I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter