Getting To Know You

Career Focused
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A week passes and we basically haven’t talked between the necessities of when I give her a task. It’s kind of stifling to be honest. She’s been staying at the office late with me the whole week even though I said it was fine if she leaves. Even today she bought me hot coffee when I didn’t even ask for it looks like she already knows my coffee habits. It’s nice having hot coffee at night for once. She can’t be all bad and I guess I was… at fault… kind of. It’s already late and the rest of the staff has gone home. I can’t believe I’m going to do this. I buzz for her. 

“Yes CEO nim?” She comes quickly since she’s just in the other room

“Can I have a coffee —” before she can close the door I add “And! One for you too, I want you to join me…it’s work related.”

She seems surprised, “I’ll be right back.”

Could that have been any more awkward Moon byulie? Come on use your play girl charisma. Why are you mumbling like a school girl

After a short while Solar returns with the coffee and sits them down on the table as well as taking a seat, “You said you wanted to talk about something work related?”

I take a sip of my hot coffee , “It’s work related in a sense… I wanted to say… that… “

“That?”

“I was wrong and I’m sorry.” I admit 

She smiles, “I honestly thought I would never hear that. I was at fault as well. I guess because we had met before it just came out.” She admits ,”Why the sudden apology?”

“I want us to get along better… as co workers.” I add the end as an after thought, “I shouldn’t have reacted how I did, it’s just been a delicate subject for me recently. Being so young I feel like every other person keeps reminding me and now because of me we have to delay the release date. I can’t even—”

“It’s not because of you.” She interrupts, “I’m sorry for interrupting.” She realizes, “This week I’ve seen that you work the hardest out of everyone. You’re always the last one to leave. It’s definitely not your fault.”

Hearing that snapped something in me and before I could stop it I can feel tears running down my face. I quickly cover my face, “Thank you Sol—I mean personal assistant ssi. I’m sorry I don’t know why I… It’s been a lot, recently …not just work but my dad...”

“CEO -nim… sorry if this is out of line but is it ok if I give you a hug?” She offers and how can I refuse but I can’t accept either. In the end I didn’t have to say anything because she got up from her chair and next thing I know her arms are around me. 

“You’re not out of line Assistant ssi, it’s already after hours. Just be…yourself…” How pathetic I’m being comforted by my assistant and I hate myself for thinking her hug is so nice I don’t want it to stop. What am I even saying 

Unfortunately she does stop and when I look up I’m met with , “Don’t cry~ don’t cry~ CEO nimi ~” she sings a weird song out of no where doing some weird dance and I burst out laughing. 

“What the hell was that!” 

She smiles widely after seeing my smile, “You said I should be myself. This is how I comfort my friends. When I was in school I decided my purpose was to make everyone smile. Unfortunately that didn’t pay well.”

“Wow I had no idea you were that kind of person. Here I just thought you were a killjoy.” I joke 

“And I thought you were a spoilt rich jerk so we’re even.”

“Hopefully I can show you otherwise.” I smile 

“That would be nice, I was dreading stepping on another landmine.” She teases 

I stand up to match her height, “Oh yeah? I think you don’t really know me Solar ssi, I’m actually a very likeable person.” I smirk 

“Is that self proclaimed?” She laughs

“You just need to get to know me… as a co worker.” I add because I can feel myself getting swayed. Why does she have to be so pretty? Maybe it was better when I thought she was horrible. Keep it professional Byulie. She’s straight, she’s straight, she’s straight. Yup that’s the spirit. You’re just deprived of friendly social contact,  that’s it. 

“As your assistant don’t be afraid to come to me with any matters.” She says proudly 

“I got it.” I smile and put my hand on her shoulder before realizing and retracting ,”I haven’t seen your car by the way? The trains don’t run this late.”

“Yeah… I don’t have my license. I’ve been ubering this week.”

“The whole week!? Don’t do that you’re staying late because of me I’ll drive you home.”


*** 


“Your boyfriend must be worried with you coming home so late.” I say while I drive her home in my Mercedes 

“I live alone, no boyfriend.” She replies in a kind of tired way like she’s sick of hearing it

“I’m surprised though you’re so pretty so I thought you would have a boyfriend.”

“Ahh!” She squeals, “So greasy, Are you always this greasy?”

I smile proudly ,Her reactions are so funny 

“You haven’t seen anything yet. Can I borrow your phone?”

“Why ?” 

“Because I need to call God and tell him I found his missing angel.” I say smugly while I look over for a second to witness her face. 

“Seriously!?” She cringes ,”On second thought I think I miss the spoilt rich jerk.”

“Should I go back to that then?” I tease 

She laughs, “I’ll make do with the greasy one. CEO nim since it’s after hours and you’re not my boss right now can I put on some music ?”

 
*** 

 

I enter my apartment with a slight hope of being welcomed by something. A silly thought, my fancy modern apartment is about as welcoming as the company at night. It doesn’t even make a big difference whether I come home or not. It’s such a huge contrast to the noisy music filled car mixed with the sound of Solars singing. I smile at the memory and turn on the lights to give some life to the place. I guess I’ll just take a shower and go to bed. 

As I try to wash away my stress my mind becomes crowded with more thoughts…. I can’t believe I cried in front of her. I never cry in front of anyone. 

When I finally reach my comfortable bed I take a look at my phone and scroll down the files looking for Solars. Hwasa sent me her CV a few days ago but I never got around to taking a look. I find it and I’m met with a few surprises as I take a look. First her picture, I can’t help chuckling. No wonder Hwasa said she looked different, she’s so chubby here. I just want to pinch her cheeks. The next surprise is her name ‘Kim Yongsun ‘ I thought Solar was a weird name, although Yongsun is just as weird. I wonder why she introduced herself as Kim Solar. Why are you full of so many mysteries Solar ssi, one minute you’re shouting at me the next you’re comforting me with hugs and weird songs. You go to the convenience store at 3 am for Kimch

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter