Fourteen: Ruminate and Bittersweet

Where Should I Go? [UPDATING AGAIN!]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

HI LOVELIESSSS! AS PROMISED, HERE IS THE NEW CHAPTER! WITHOUT FURTHER ADO, LET'S GET INTO IT! Also I'm so excited for BTS' new self-produced album!!!!

-----------------------------------

Jungkook was breathing softly as he slept and began to slowly gain consciousness. He slightly opened his eyes and the sunlight had lit up his room. Next to him was a sleeping body in between his arms with her face buried in his chest. She smelled like jasmine and roses with a hint of cottonseed like she always did. Jungkook breathed in her fragrance and he stretched out his arm that was on top, which caused her body to stir. 

"Are you awake?" he asked.

"Well, I am now," responded a groggy voice grumpily, which caused Jungkook to chuckle.

"Hey, wake up," he shook her lightly as she started to fall back asleep.
"Hey, it's already 11 am, wake up," he said as he slightly shook her.
"Ari, wake up," he whined and showered her with tiny kisses all over her face.

Ari finally sat up after all his whining and said, "Jungkook, why can't you let me sleep in? It's the weekend!" 

"Because we have to go don't you remember?"

"Go where?"

"To the stars!" he yelled as he pulled her back down with him as she let out a yelp.

 

All of a sudden they were on top of a car by the cliff in the countryside. Ari was lying down really close next to him as they both faced each other, lips only centimeters apart. He placed a hand on her cheek and said, "I love you," heart beating out of his chest, hoping she would say the same.

"I love you too, Jungkook," she smiled and leaned in to finally allow her lips to meet his under the night sky that was strewn with stars. Jungkook's heart was now beating at an alarming rate as her lips melted into his. Just as Jungkook pulled Ari closer by her waist, he froze.

"Time's up," said a voice. 

Jungkook and Ari parted to look at the owner of the voice. It was Jimin. He was sitting cross-legged in front of them and watching. 

"What?" said Jungkook, confused.

"Time's up," repeated Jimin blankly and shrugged.

"What do you mean time's up?" asked Jungkook again. 

"This wasn't part of the deal. You only got one day and the day is done," said Jimin leaving Jungkook even more confused.

Ari sat up, "He's right Kook, that was the deal. I have to go now," she said as she took Jimin's hand.

Jungkook now sat up too, panicking, "What do you mean? Why do you have to go?" His eyes were wide and face pale.

"You had your chance but you wasted it," Jimin said as he helped Ari down from the car as Jungkook sat there dumbfounded at what was happening.

Jimin and Ari walked over to the very edge of the cliff. Jimin leaned in to kiss Ari and she happily obliged as if Jungkook wasn't even there. Jungkook felt the tears well up in his eyes as he watched this happen. After a few seconds, Jimin opened his eyes to look at Jungkook through the corner of his eyes and smirked. Jungkook's head was throbbing and he could hear a faint buzzing that kept getting louder and louder. He could also hear a voice that kept saying his name over and over again.

Jungkook woke with a yelp and was slightly sweaty.

"Jungkook," Jimin continued to call out in hopes to finally wake him up with his alarm simultaneously going off. 

"Finally, I've been yelling for like five minutes," said Jimin from the doorway to Jungkook's bedroom. Jungkook reached out for his phone on the bedside table to turn off the alarm.

"You alright?" Jimin asked noticing Jungkook's odd demeanor and sweat.

"Yeah, just a weird dream," said Jungkook brushing his sweaty hair back.

"Alright, well go shower and get ready. We're meeting the girls in the library in an hour," said Jimin as Jungkook got out of bed.

Jungkook walked into the bathroom and thought about his dream as he showered. What was that all about?
Strangely, he felt a certain annoyance toward Jimin even though he had done nothing wrong. Even more strangely, he was missing Ari more for some reason since he'd woken up and was somewhat longing to see her. Jungkook tried to shake these thoughts from his mind as he wasn't able to make sense of his thoughts. He had never felt like this about Ari before, had he? Why all of a sudden after yesterday was he thinking so much about all of this? How he felt was unclear to him now, knowing what he had been previously oblivious to. But he guessed whatever he felt didn't matter now. She was with someone else.

-------------------------------- Flashback to Yesterday --------------------------------

Rena and Yenna jumped when they heard Jungkook's voice and were too shocked to initially realize that he had heard what they had been joking about.

"Jeon Jungkook, you scared the out of me," Rena punched his shoulder.

Yenna was breathing heavily. Jungkook's eyebrows were furrowed in thought.

"Ari... used to like... me?" he asked with his eyebrows still furrowed.

Rena and Yenna exchanged a glance. "Um. Let's go inside first and get you some AC and something to drink, you've been running all morning haven't you?"

They silently lead him into the building and up to their apartment and he followed obediently still lost in thought. They told him to sit in the living room while they'd get him some iced water. 

"What do we do?" whispered Rena as she opened the freezer to take out the ice.

"I don't know. I mean he already heard us," Yenna worriedly whispered back. "Let's just go out and see what he says I guess."

They gave Jungkook his water. He thanked them and drowned it in one go.

"So how's your day so far," started Rena in a futile attempt to distract from the issue.

"Let's not beat around the bush. I heard you guys talking," said Jungkook. "So Ari used to like me?" he asked.

Yenna hesitated, but finally decided to answer, "Yes. But, that was before she started to go out with Jimin."

"That's why he was so mad when we got back from the grocery store that day. He knew didn't he?" asked Jungkook.

"Yeah. He did. We all did. Except for you," responded Rena.

"Oh," Jungkook said.

"We all sort of thought you felt the same way," continued Yenna.

"Really? Why?" he asked, surprised.

"Well, you two just got along so well. And you were always flirting all the time," said Rena.

"I mean, I thought we were just joking around," said Jungkook softly and unsurely.

Rena and Yenna remained silent as they looked at him and then at each other. Jungkook had a weird expression on his face. Regret, almost.

"Jungkookie?" Rena called out.

"So what Shannon said at the start of the semester..." he started.

"She couldn't have known. She probably just guessed it. Like I said, you two seemed kind of.. obvious," Yenna finished.

"But Ari told me she didn't feel that way," he said.

"What else would she have said? You reacted pretty badly," said Rena. 

"I must've made her feel like crap," he said as he buried his face into his hands.

"Jungkook, are you okay?" asked Yenna.

"Yeah. Yes. I'm fine," he said, slightly dazed.

"Are you... going to ask her about it?" asked Rena, tense.

"No, I mean, what's the point. She's with Jimin hyung now," he said while messing with his hair.

"Right," agreed Yenna.

"Are you sure you're alright, though?" asked Rena once again.

"Yeah, I'm just a bit surprised is all," he said.

A few minutes later, the door opened to reveal Jimin and Ari had come back.

"Why're you guys so quiet?" asked an amused Ari.

"Nothing, Jungkook was just telling us about Yumi," lied Yenna.

"Oh, Kook, you alright?" asked Jimin as he sat down next to his friend.

"Yeah, much better now that I blew off some of the steam with these two," Jungkook said as he faked a smile.

"By the way, we've got that econ midterm day after tomorrow. Do you and Rena want to join us in the library tomorrow for a group study session?" asked Ari.

Rena looked at Jungkook.

"Sounds good," responded Jungkook, unable to look Ari in the eyes.

"Rena?" asked Jimin.

"Yup, I'm down," she responded. 

"Alright then boys, you should go back and start studying before we meet up tomorrow. I'm going to go get started," said Ari as she took a hair tie off her wrist and began tying up her hair into a long ponytail.

"Alright, bye babe, bye guys," Jimin said as he kissed Ari on the cheek.

"Jungkook, you coming?" Jimin offered.

"Thanks, hyung, but I'm actually going to finish my run. I just stopped by here to say hi," Jungkook said.

"Are you sure?" Jimin said, looking at him from behind his sunglasses.

"Yup," said Jungkook, also unable to look at Jimin directly.

Jimin noticed that something was off with his younger friend and made a mental note to ask him about it later at home.

The girls bade them goodbye and Ari went to her room to study.

Rena and Yenna went into Yenna's room and closed the door behind them. They sat on Yenna's bed to talk.

"He's not taking it well is he," said Rena.

"It doesn't look like it," said Yenna with a furrowed brow.

"What now?" asked Rena as she bit her lip.

"We can't let Ari or Jimin know that he knows," declared Yenna.

"Of course, but what if he says something?" says Rena.

"I'm hoping that he won't. I don't think it would end well at all. Jimin was already insecure about this and Ari spent nearly two years falling for Jungkook and has finally moved on. This could potentially ruin a lot of relationships," said Yenna.

"Yeah, I feel so guilty," said Rena.

"Me too," Yenna covered her face with her hands.

"But we couldn't have known that he was behind us, right?" said Rena.

"Of course, we couldn't have known. But why today out of all days did he have to stop by during his run," groaned Yenna.

"I guess we can't do anything else now can we?" asked Rena.

"We should check in with him from time to time. It can't be easy on him either."

"Yeah. I forgot to mention it to you but when I was hanging out with him during the time everyone was sort of scattered, he was always really weird around the subject of Ari. Especially around the time that Yumi started to ignore him. Whenever I tried asking him about it, he got pretty defensive," said Rena.

"Yeah, I noticed that a bit too. Maybe he's realizing he feels something?" Yenna sighed.

"Yenna, what're we going to do?" asked Rena.

"For once, I have no plan," Yenna bowed her head down in defeat.

---

Jungkook was running back in the direction of his dorm. A million thoughts running through his mind faster than he was running on the ground. Ari. How long had she felt this way about him? When did she stop? Did she feel the same when he was with Yumi? Did she somehow... feel the same now? Why hadn't Jungkook ever thought about her like this before? Why was he starting to doubt his feelings now? Did he feel the same?

He was so consumed by his thoughts that he barely paid attention to where he was running and his legs relied on mostly muscle memory alone to get him back home. Once he was home, he showered and decided to start studying as Ari suggested so at least he could be distracted from imagining scenarios with his best friend that he hadn't previously thought about before. He had to shake those thoughts out of his head. She was his best friend and the girlfriend of his other best friend. He couldn't do this to Jimin or her. He knew it was selfish, but why couldn't he get the idea out of his head and why did it make him smile?

-------------------------------- End of Flashback --------------------------------

After Jungkook had showered and changed, Jimin went to go talk to him.

"Hey, are you alright? You were a bit off yesterday too," said Jimin.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just a little... confused," replied Jungkook.

"About what?" asked Jimin, sitting down on the bed next to Jungkook who was pulling on a pair of socks.

"Just... Yumi and other stuff. I'm kind of stressed about finding a car and apartment for the summer," Jungkook lied.

"Oh. Hey, listen. About Yumi, you said it yourself, didn't you? You realized why that wasn't right and I know it can be hard to forget, but with time it will get better," said Jimin.

Jungkook was hit with a pang of guilt since Jimin was being so sincere and it felt like things were finally getting back to completely normal. Oh, how Jungkook wished he could just ignore all his thoughts and confusion, a part of him wishing that he had never overheard the girls that day but another part of him wished he had known sooner. Here he was lying to Jimin while the latter was being so kind to him. Jungkook needed to forget what he had heard. He had already been a bad friend enough lately.

"You're right. I'll be okay. Thanks hyung," said Jungkook, finally looking at Jimin and smiled.

Jimin smiled back and added, "As for the car and apartment, we can figure that out soon enough. Why don't we head to a dealership tomorrow once we're done for the day?"

"Sounds good"

Jungkook and Jimin headed to the library where they met Ari and Rena at their usual spot. The girls were already discussing a few questions. 

"Hey, started without us?" teased Jimin.

"Oh no, they found us," Ari boredly joked to Rena who laughed.

"Sorry guys there's just so much material," Rena responded as Jungkook and Jimin pulled out their chairs to sit across from the girls.

"The good thing though is that we already did quizzes for all the chapters so it shouldn't take too long, did you guys go over everything yesterday?" asked Ari.

"I didn't finish the last two chapters," said Jungkook.

"Ok we can start from there then," said Ari.

They spent most of the day in the library while taking breaks in between till they had gone over everything. Jungkook kept glancing at Ari from time to time when no one was looking, but Rena had caught him a couple of times. When he saw she had noticed, he stopped. It was almost 8 PM and they hadn't eaten anything other than breakfast and some snacks they had snuck into the library, which they were very stealthy in consuming due to the library's strict rules. 

"So, dinner plans?" asked Jimin.

"Actually, I think I'm going to head back and do some more work before I call it a night. May take a short nap before that though," said Ari.

"Oh, okay," Jimin pouted.

Obviously he was upset that Ari wouldn't be staying for dinner. Little did he know he wasn't the only one upset by the thought of Ari leaving but Jungkook tried to get rid of these thoughts. She's Jimin's girlfriend, he shouldn't

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter