EIGHT

KIM & I

You lay down on your bed after a long bath. Your face gets warm as soon as you remember what happened in the counselling room today. You touch your hair, remembering the feeling of his warm hand ruffling your hair.

 

“Gosh… Why I think about this.” You cover your face feeling embarrassed. Taking out your phone, you notice it is fully charged. You look into your lock screen photo, smiling. It’s a photo where Daehyun dragged you out to see The Light and Motion Festival on his birthday. You both had a ton of fun that night, Daehyun splurged out all his birthday allowance that night.

 

“Now… What to cook for lunch?” You start browsing for a new recipe while heading to the kitchen to check out for the ingredients. However, the fridge is almost empty.

 

“Daehyun…” You sigh, opening your memo pad and immediately list down your groceries. You mind ringing out a red alert.

 

‘Jung Reen is crossing the line of forbidden student-teacher relationship’

 

You try to shrug it off with it is just a lunch, nothing more. You close the fridge’s door and call Daehyun to accompany you for groceries tomorrow.

 

“I wonder… Why both of us still don’t gain weight with all of this overeating?” You ask Daehyun, leaning on the door frame, watching him playing his computer game.

 

“Because mom and dad give us their best genetic ever,” Daehyun says, focusing on his game. You shook, walking back to your room.

 


 

You walk around looking for the groceries on the list while Daehyun push out the trolley, following you. He grabs whatever he wants into the trolley while you put it back to the aisle.

 

“Aww… Reen… Please… I want that…” Daehyun starts to whine when you put his favourite snacks back. You look at him, shoving him the groceries list.

 

“Is there your snacks on this list? No? Okay then shut up Jung Daehyun.” You walk away while Daehyun keeps on his whining, following you.

 

“Please Reen… Please~ Pretty please baby girl~ Please~~” Daehyun in the verge of crying. You look at him, disbelief. Is he older or a baby?

 

“Fine. Just three.”

 

“Five!”

 

“What?! No Four!” You shake the groceries list, widening your eyes.

 

“Seven!” Daehyun getting feisty.

 

“Fine! Five it is!” Daehyun immediately runs to the snacks aisle to pick up his favourite snacks after you agree to the deal. You start calculating the allowance your parents gave you hoping it enough.

 


 

You pack the lunch you have prepared. A three-tier lunchbox for Daehyun and two large lunchboxes for you and Himchan. You pray that Himchan will love it. Himchan told you to come to the roof, where students are forbidden except teachers. However, you got a privilege to go up there with Himchan’s permission and with him.

 

“I can’t believe it… Lunch with Himchan…” You couldn’t hold you smile. You are happy with this life opportunity. After you done packing lunchboxes, you get ready for school. You and Daehyun head to school after a quick breakfast.

 

“Hey, what’s inside your lunchbox?”

 

“Food.”

 

“What kind?”

 

“Korean.”

 

“Can I have a taste too?”

 

“Jung Daehyun, you got everything in that three-tier lunchbox and still lurking for mine?” You glare at your brother. Daehyun pouts at you, continue walking at the same pace as you. This guy, really… He will be lucky if he got a woman who will stand with his weird and hyper attitude.

 

You watch Himchan checking their class attendance and briefly announce regarding the upcoming final exam. You sigh, getting nervous about your lunch with Himchan soon but a smile still appears on your face.

 

“Someone is falling hard.” You look at Youngjae, smirking while Jihyun surpassing her giggle. What?

 

“What are you talking about?” You whisper, looking at both of them.

 

“Idiotic smile.”

 

“Unusual dozing off”

 

“Blanking out…”

 

“Caught on staring…”

 

“Blushing…” However, you become more puzzled about the couple statements. What? You look at Jongup who look at you, grinning. What?! Your face becomes more and more puzzled.

 

“You are officially falling in love with Himchan, Reen.” Jongup bluntly let it out. The couple becomes excited, grinning like an idiot to you. A realization hit you, your eyes widen and you immediately stand up.

 

“NO!” The classroom went silence with your sudden shout. Jongup gives out his signature innocent expression while the couple holding up their laugh.

 

“Something to tell us, Jung Reen?” Himchan looks at you. He just walks in for the replacement class. You look at him, frozen. Please God, make me invisible now or make me lose my memory now.

 

“N… Nothing…” You bow and sit down. You bury your face in your arms on the table, quietly screaming in embarrassment. Himchan smiles and starts the class. All eyes on Himchan now.

 


 

The class end and lunch started. You immediately sneak out to the roof where both of you promise to meet after Himchan walk out. You try to spin the doorknob. Damn, it’s lock. You look around, praying no one will come or you will be caught red-handed for breaking the rule.

 

“Hey, Re- Where is she?” Jihyun asks after she turns around to see you gone. She looks at Jongup who currently snooze off since Himchan’s class. However, Youngjae persuades Jihyun to have a lunch with him. It’s a rare opportunity to have a lunch with her alone.

 

“Jung.” You jolt up and turn to see Himchan looking at you with his usual smile. He unlocks the door, gestures you to walk out first. You slightly bow and walk out, looking at the forbidden rooftop.

 

“Wow.” You awed, it’s amazing. No wonder it’s forbidden to students, those teachers want to hoard the rooftop themselves!

 

“Amazing, right?” Himchan says as soon he closes the door. It is actually a secret place he and Yongguk found, even other teachers don’t know about it. However, seeing you mumbling something about teacher keeping this place for themselves. He couldn’t help but laugh. How cute.

 

“Is… Is there something funny, sir?” You look at him, laughing. Wait, he did not hear what I just mumbling about right?

 

“No… It’s just cute when you mumbling like that. So… Shall we?” Himchan shows you at the picnic table he brought up from home. Yongguk and him always loitering there when they need some ‘me time’. You take a glance at him, he just wears his usual white shirt, his sleeves folded to his elbow. He must leave his blazer in the teacher’s room. You secretly appreciate the great human anatomy of God creation, Kim Himchan.

 

‘Stop! You practically drooling over your teacher, Jung Reen! It’s forbidden, like you and him, like you being here.’ You subconsciously curse yourself.

 

“Did you curse, Jung?”

 

“Eh?” Did I? Now you wish you disappear from his sight. You quickly put the lunchboxes on the table.

 

“Relax, Jung… You are too tense.” Himchan sits, smiling at you. You sit in front of him, frantically open the lunchboxes and give him one. Himchan looks at the lunchbox and froze. Oh wow…

 

“It’s not much…” Himchan snaps to look at you. Not much she said?! This is practically his lunch and dinner altogether. You feel uneasy with Himchan suddenly become quiet.

 

“Is something wrong… Mr Kim?” You ask quietly. He looks at you and shooks, giving you his polite smile.

 

“No… This is great. Thank you, Jung. I’ll eat it well.” He takes the chopsticks you prepared and starts to dig in. You watch him nervously. Although it is your second time cooking for him but this is your first time eating your meal in front of you.

 

“H… How is it?” Is it too much? You are not used cooking in a small portion as you and Daehyun are a big eater. Himchan gives a reassuring looks and his sweetest smile to you.

“It’s really delicious, Jung. Eat up, your lunch break will end soon.” He urges you to start eating. You quickly eat your lunch, having small talks with Himchan about school. It is awkward to have a lunch with the teacher, you thought.

 

“Did you read the note, Jung.” You look at him as you pack your empty lunchboxes. Note? You scrunch your nose, thinking hard. Himchan let out a chuckle.

 

“Never mind, Jung. I’ll head out first, don’t forget to lock the door later. Thank you for the lunch. I really enjoy it.” Himchan gets up and waves you, walking back inside. You watch him go.

 

“What note?”