THIRTEEN

KIM & I

As the competition approaching, the team is having a hard time with practicing and studying for their exam especially Daehyun as the only final year student. Himchan volunteers to help them with the study. Yongguk agrees to help them out too. Youngjae and Jongup, however, excuse themselves as they already have their own study group with you and Jihyun.

 

“Then, call them too. We would be happy to help all of you.” Himchan offers, Yongguk glances at Himchan before agrees to him.

 

“I will call them to come here.” Youngjae texts Jihyun to study together in the music room. Daehyun looks at Jongup and Junhong, seems they already getting close.

 

“What are you both talking about?” Daehyun approaches his juniors, trying to mingle.

 

“Oh, we were talking about aliens and kinds of stuff. Do you want to join in?” Jongup says and Juhong looks at Daehyun, smiling innocently. Daehyun holds his best not to make any weird expressions and smile wryly.

 

“It’s okay. I’m not good at that stuffs.” Daehyun says as he backs away from them who continue their chats. Weird people, Daehyun thoughts. Himchan still playing with the piano, trying to compose something.

 

“Are you composing for someone?” Yongguk’s deep voice interrupts him. Himchan looks at Yongguk who seems to be concern about him.

 

“Yeah. For her.” He doesn’t need to tell Yongguk the name as Yongguk already know who he meant to. Yongguk let out a sigh before look at the entrance.

 

“The “her” you are talking about are entering the room now. Seriously, get your act together Himchan before someone else found out.” Yongguk lefts Himchan with a stern warning. Himchan exhales, putting the notes in the file before walks to his students.

 

“So, since we have six students, we will divide into a group of three. Daehyun, Jongup and Jihyun will be with Himchan while the rest with me.” Yongguk says. He purposely separates it as he doesn’t want his students to be distracted by their personal feelings. The students scatter to their groups and the study group started.

 

“If you guys have any questions just ask away, I will try to help out any way I can,” Himchan says, watching his students focusing on their books. He couldn’t help but feel proud watching his students hardworking with their studies. Himchan and Yongguk personalities are different, Himchan is soft and friendly with his student while Yongguk is serious and intimidating.

 

“Reen, you haven’t properly explained to me about this chapter. Can you explain it now?” Youngjae shows you his book. You nod and try to explain to him the easiest way for him to understand. Yongguk watches, he doesn’t know you and Youngjae well as Himchan does but he can see you are close with each other.

 


 

“Mr. Bang is not as scary as he looks like.” You tell Daehyun after walking out from the store buying some groceries for your dinner.

 

“Yeah, but his intimidating aura still scare the out of me.” Daehyun naturally takes the groceries bags from you.  You both walk home side by side together, Daehyun casually searching one of the groceries bags.

 

“Yes! You bought it, sis!” He takes out the ice cream and tries to unwrap it even though his hands are full. You take his ice cream and unwrap it for him.

 

“Seriously, how will you survive without me?” You after giving the ice cream back only to have your brother sticks his tongue out at you. You roll your eyes, continue to walk.

 

“Do you want to go home this weekend? It has been a while since we went home for the weekend.” Daehyun asks. You halt, looking at your brother. Is he serious?

 

“I rather die than going back there.” You say coldly, leaving Daehyun behind sighing. Seems his sister’s heart is harder than a stone. Daehyun walks fast to match up with you.

 

“Sorry… But sooner or later we have to go home for the holiday.” He says slowly. You let out a heavy sigh, plugging earphones in your ears, letting know you don’t want to talk about it any further.

 

“If we go back, he will be there.” You mumble, shutting your eyes tight. You don’t want to remember it but your mind is merciless, never let you control it on your own. The memory plays without any pause or stops option.

 


 

Daehyun graduated and enroll in college. You are now in your senior year along with your friends. The four of you now include Junhong along with study session. The last competition has made all of you getting closer especially for Jongup and Junhong. On the other hand, Himchan continues to be their homeroom and music teacher, extending his contract as a temporary teacher while waiting for another job opportunities. You and Himchan still contacting each other while maintaining your relationship as student and teacher.

 

“What are you into, Jung?” Himchan asks as he checks your file. It’s a counseling day where teacher and student will discuss their future study. You are not as outstanding as your friends but he notices you have your own potential. You fidget Himchan’s pen in front of you, thinking.

 

“Art, sir.”

 

“Any specific field? Art is broad.” Himchan says, looking at you. You look at your teacher currently wearing spectacle. He looks dreamy and cool. You thought. Himchan taps his fingers on the table, breaking your thought.

 

“Oh, sorry. I love to draw but I am also into writing.” You say, taking out your sketchbook to show him.

 

“I have been filing up my works for portfolio, sir. This is my latest sketchbook.” You give Himchan your sketchbook hesitantly, feeling uncertain with it. Himchan thanks you and flip through your sketches. There is a mix of sketches and poetries, also some proses. However, he needs to set up your mind to pick one of them.

 

“Between drawing and writing, which one you love the most?” Himchan’s questions made you in a deep thought. You love both of it but you never feel confident with any of it.

 

“You can tell me later, Jung. For now, keep up with filing your works. It will do a great job when showing it to the panels if you got into any college’s interviews.” Himchan says after a moment of silent, giving back your sketchbook. You look at him. Himchan and his sweet calming smile. How can you not fall for him? You take the sketchbook and bow to him.

 

“Thank you for helping me sorting out for my further study, Mr. Kim.” You say, smiling. As you hold the doorknob, Himchan calls you.

 

“Actually, my university has several art courses.” He takes out a university brochure. He walks to you, taking your hand. You froze with his sudden touch. Himchan puts the brochure in your hand.

 

“Maybe this will help you.” He smiles, patting your head. You blink your eyes multiple times before thanking him and scurry out back to your class. Himchan watches you, letting out a content sigh. Why is she so cute? He inhales deeply before calling out the next student.