TWELVE

KIM & I

“I can’t believe you, Youngjae and Daehyun will be our school representative for a singing competition.” You say to Jongup while enjoying your lunch together. Jongup grins, eating his rice gleefully.

 

“Well, it's just happened. I just can’t deny when they keep begging.” Youngjae shrugs as if it’s normal. Jihyun scoffs at her boyfriend being self-centered about himself again.

 

“So, I heard Youngjae and Daehyun will do a duet?”

 

“Yeah, ballad precisely.” Daehyun interrupts your conversation, casually taking his seat next to you. He looks at you, flashing his kitty smile.

 

“Hey, sister.”

 

“Hey, now scram.” You say and continue to eat your lunch. Daehyun whines and pestering you before you shout and both of you start your usual bickering. Jihyun, Youngjae, and Jongup watch the two of you bickering.

 

“I never gonna get used to their bickering.” Jihyun comments, chewing her rice.

 

“Sometimes, I think Daehyun is the youngest,” Youngjae add-on.

 

“Poor Reen,” Jongup concludes with nods of agreement from others and continue their meal as if there is nothing to see.

 

“The competition is actually quite near with our exam is it?” Jihyun says.

 

“Yeah. But we will do our best. You are here for us right?” Youngjae smiles, picking up a grain of rice near Jihyun’s lips and naturally eats it. Jongup, watching two different scenes before his eyes only eat quietly pretending everything is normal between everyone here.

 


 

You walk to your class before you heard a beautiful melody from the music room nearby. A familiar voice sings a verse to match with the melody. Daehyun? You walk slowly to the music room and peek. There, your brother and Youngjae singing with Himchan playing the piano. You are captivated by the melody that you stand there for a while.

 

“Reen!” You jolt up, looking at Jihyun who walks toward you. You glance inside the room and the three men stop their practice and looking in your direction.

 

“What are you doing peeking through the music room?” You unable to stop Jihyun talking a bit louder. You close your eyes, praying they won’t come out.

 

“Nothing. I thought I heard something. Hehe, let’s go back to class.” You grab Jihyun’s arm and scurry away. The door open, revealing Himchan looking around and saw you and Jihyun scurry off. He smiles.

 

“Earth to Reen!” Jihyun shouts, knocking your head with her pen. You break away from your daydream and see Jihyun scowling at you.

 

“Focus! You too, Jongup!” Jihyun knocks Jongup’s head with her pen.

 

“Sorry.” You and Jongup say in unison, refocus yourself on the Math questions in front of you. Ugh… Math. Let see the question.

 

a3 - b3 = (a - b)(a2 + ab + b2) = ?

 

Err a? b? abc? What? You starting to doze off again before Jihyun takes your pencil and teach you the solution. You try to focus. Gosh, math so hard… I like History and Literature more...

 


 

Himchan plays the piano effortlessly, matching the melody with his students’ voice. They have made a decision to sing 4Men – Baby Baby as the song fits with both of their voices. Himchan smiles, listening to their singing.

 

“Your vocals need some more practice to synchronize with each other,” Himchan comments when they finish the song. The music room open and Yongguk walks inside with Jongup and a tall student.

 

“What’s wrong?” Himchan asks, looking at Yongguk.

 

“You must already know Jongup. I want to introduce another student to represent our school, Choi Junhong.” Yongguk calmly says, introducing the student. Junhong bows to his seniors.

 

“I think the two of them will be a perfect duo for dance breakoff category.” Yongguk continues. The practice ends to give their students more times to get to know each other before working together. Yongguk offers to treat them for a meal and all of them walks out.

 

“You not coming?” Yongguk turns to see Himchan still on his piano’s chair. Himchan shakes his head, smiling.

 

“Go ahead.” Yongguk nods and walk out with his students. Himchan continues to play the piano. The time moves as he delicately moving his fingers creating a new melody.

 

“That’s sound great, Mr. Kim.” A voice startled Himchan. He stops and turns to see you smiling at him, sitting at the audience’s chair.

 

“Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to startle you, Mr. Kim.” You panicked but Himchan smiles.

 

“How long have you been there, Miss Jung?”

 

“Well… A while? You are so into it so I just come in and sit. Well, I’m actually searching for my brother.” You explain, trying not to sound as if you have been observing him for a while.

 

“Daehyun and the others went out with Yongguk. I’m not quite sure when they will be back but the practice ends for today.” Himchan says, looking back at the piano keys.

 

“Can I try?” You say, watching Himchan plays.

 

“Have you played it?” Himchan invites you over, he scoots a bit to give you space. You sit next to him, putting a little gap between you and him.

 

“I know how to play “Twinkle-twinkle Little Star”?” You grin, playing the music notes.

 

“So you know some basics.” Himchan smiles.

 

“Yeah, my mom taught me when I was 8.” You smile, memorizing some notes. The “Twinkle-twinkle Little Star” plays inside the music room.

 

"Want to try a duet?" Himchan asks.

 

"Eh! No thank you. I told you I only know "Twinkle-twinkle little star"." You refuse it but Himchan shows you an easy key.

 

"Just play this one. I'll play the rest." Himchan smiles reassuringly. You nod, placing your fingers on the keys. As you start, Himchan plays beside you making matching your rhythm. You surprised at the outcome of the melody. Both of you play with smiles plastered on your faces. Forgetting the world surrounding you.

 


 

"Where were you?" Daehyun asks, seeing you run to him. You both meet in front of the school, as Daehyun forget to bring his bag with him when he went out with Yongguk and others. You pant out from running.

 

“I was at the library and I have to run to the music room to get your things before get to you.” You make an excuse, you were actually caught in the moments with Himchan playing the piano. As soon as you realize Daehyun has been calling you numerous time, you got panic and take Daehyun’s things before rush out without saying goodbye to Himchan.

 

“Yeah, right. Come on. I’m starving. Let’s order something tonight.” Daehyun takes his bag and walks. You walk beside him.

 

“I’m craving for pizza.” You say.

 

“But, I want a burger.” Daehyun protests.

 

“Both?” You and Daehyun say in unison, grinning ear to ear. Well, tonight The Jung will have a fast food feast.