ELEVEN

KIM & I

Himchan parks his car. You get out of the car and Himchan gestures you to walk inside the restaurant. It’s a small restaurant with a great ambiance for people who like to calm their heads. Both of you walk inside the restaurant. A woman in her thirties quickly approaches both of you, smiling wide.

 

“I don’t know you will come. Even more with someone?” She looks at you, smiling.

 

“She’s my student. We have something to discuss just now and I think it’s a good thing to bring her here for a lunch.” Himchan casually brings you to the seat and the woman gives you the menus.

 

“We have our today’s special but for you, I can fix up something extra special.” She grins, eyeing you. You are getting nervous with all her eyeing you.
 

“We’ll call you later, Hyeji.” The woman Himchan called Hyeji walks away to attend more guests coming in.

 

“Both of you seems close?” You say softly.

 

“Yeah. She’s my older sister, Kim Hyeji. She owns this restaurant.” Himchan smiles. He insists you to pick out anything you want on the menu and it will be his treat. Well then, don’t mind if I do.

 

“So, what can I get you both? In-house special or Hyeji’s special?” She asks, holding her notepad.

“Can I have your special menu?” Your eyes glimpse in anticipation. Hyeji cheerfully jots it down and walks to the kitchen. You inhale the scent of the restaurant. So calm.

 

“This restaurant has the best pasta in this area. But you seem adventurous to try on Hyeji’s special.” Himchan says, watching you wandering your eyes around the restaurant.

 

“Oh, I think I should try whatever she offers. Besides, I can come here with Daehyun later to enjoy the pasta.” You look at him and smile. Himchan smiles back at you.

 

“This will be on the house.” Hyeji suddenly comes and gives special appetizers.

 

“Hyeji, what’s this? It’s not on the menu.” Himchan says but Hyeji only grins.

 

“It’s our restaurant’s sampler. Crispy corn nachos, steak salad, crispy soft shell crab and calamari fritters. Then we have mango salsa and house honey lime-mayo dressing. It’s enough for two people.” Hyeji explains enthusiastically. You thank her and she left back to the kitchen.

 

“Sorry, sometimes my sister can be a bit overreacts when she meet my guest,” Himchan says apologetically. However, you don’t seem to mind what he said, you dig in for the appetizers happily. Himchan let out a chuckle which picks up your attention.

 

“Oh, sorry. Did you say something, Mr. Kim?” You finally look at him but he just shakes his head, asking you to enjoy your food. You grin and enjoy the nachos. Hyeji finally comes with your main courses and serves you.

 

“Usual Tuna Capellini’s pasta for the best teacher, Himchan.” She puts a plate of pasta topped with fresh tuna slices. Then she serves you her special menu.

 

“And here’s for our lovely Himchan’s guest. Mongolian Beef Ribs Steak. A sizzling marinated sliced of beef ribs with ginger, spring onion, and thick sauce served with steam white rice and stir fry vegetables. Special for you~” Hyeji explains your special menu. You couldn’t help but be amazed at her cooking skills.

 

“Wow, this looks so delicious. Thank you.” You say, smiling brightly to Hyeji. Hyeji winks and left. You take out your phone and take some photos of your meal. Himchan watches how excited you are with foods. He’s getting a clue that you are a food lover. Secretly, he takes a photo of you happily taste your food.

 

“Your sister is a great cook! I could eat this forever. It well balanced with the rice and vegetables. The meat is super tender.” You compliment Hyeji as you eat. Himchan chuckles.

 

“Slow down. Your stomach will upset.” Himchan gives you some tuna slices. You look at him, grinning and thank him. This girl, ignoring her crush right in front of her over foods. Both of you enjoy your foods while having a small chat, but mostly, you dig in your food ignoring Himchan.

“Here’s the desserts~ Kim’s special homemade Chocolate peppermint.” Hyeji comes again with a plate of desserts.

 

“Hyeji, you are spoiling us too much.” Himchan protesting her sister acts.

 

“So? You are my special guests. I have to treat my guests the best foods we have. Especially for this young woman.” Hyeji winks at you. You smile, feeling flustered.

 

“Sorry for my sister.” He apologizes again.

 

“It’s fine. She must love you so much to spoil you like this.” You say. Today, you have seen various sides of Himchan than his normal teacher self. You can see how flusters Himchan is with his sister.

 

“She does. Without her, I won’t be here today.” He smiles, feeling proud of his sister. You smile, enjoying your last meal course.

 

“Kim’s special?” The dessert literally melts away in your mouth. The sweetness of chocolate and minty flavor combine making it favorable.
 

“Yeah, my sister and I made it together when we were kids. She put it on a special dessert item.” He says, the taste of the desert full of his memories of his childhood. This dessert will always be special for them. Both of you done with your meals and lean back on your chairs. Relaxing for a while.

 

“Mr. Kim.”

 

“Yes?”

 

“Why do you like me? Well, I mean today both of us literally saw other sides of us. Are your feeling waivers?” You ask him slowly but HImchan shakes his head. He still likes you, even more after today. He can see you don’t mind being yourself in front of him. Himchan pays the meal even though Hyeji refuses it. He drives you back to your apartment.

 

“Thank you for today, Mr. Kim. The foods are delicious. I’ll make sure to come to the restaurant with my family soon.” You thank him. Himchan smiles, he glads making you happy.

 

“Don’t feel bothered with what I told you, okay? I understand you want to pursue your study first than relationship.” Himchan tells you what he feels inside. He really doesn’t want you to feel pressure about his confession. You nod slowly, walking out of the car. You bend down a bit to match with the window.

 

“Actually, I like you too, Mr. Kim.” You say and run away to your apartment. Your face is red so does Himchan’s.

 


 

“You what now?” Yongguk asks in a serious tone.

 

“I told her I like her,” Himchan says, admitting he's doing. Yongguk let out a heavy sigh.

 

“She’s a minor, Kim Himchan!” Yongguk holds his anger.

 

“I know. That’s why I’ll wait for her to graduate. I know it’s unethical for a teacher to likes his student but I couldn’t help it, Yongguk.” Himchan fights back. He knows, he aware of everything. He’s risking his life for a student named, Jung Reen. Yongguk ruffles his hair.

 

“This thing will only be between us. If there’s any sign of others noticing your relationship, you have to break up with her.” Yongguk says in serious stern voice. Himchan nods slowly. Yongguk then left their studio and not coming home for the night.

 


 

You tossing and turning yourself on the bed. You are feeling restless after you told Himchan that you also like him. You close your eyes, giving yourself a deep thought about the risk of dating your teacher. A message pop out on your phone’s screen.

 

“Have a good rest, Jung” – Mr. Kim

 

You smile, hugging your phone close to you. Seems you will get a good night sleep after all. You reply to him.

 

“Yes. You too, Mr. Kim.” – Jung Reen

However, a thought surge into your mind, killing your happiness instantly. You are getting insecure and scared of yourself and about what you just told Himchan. Is Himchan really is a nice person? Will he be able to accept you the way you are? If he knows about it, will he stay? You are on a verge of tears. Seems it won’t be a peaceful night.

 

‘Kim Himchan, I'm scared if you know me more than you should have, you’ll hurt yourself… My past… My dark past… Will you able to accept it?’