FIVE

KIM & I

You fidget your skirt, Daehyun yawns while Wonhee checking out her nails as Mrs Han giving out her lectures to you. The three of you have been in her office for God knows how long listening to her rambling about school rules and her days being a student and how hard it is to be a teacher to this generation. Daehyun nudges you, you look at him making funny faces to Mrs Han as she turns away looking at the window telling her story. You can’t help but let out a soft chuckle.

 

“Mrs Han, the Jung making faces to you.” An annoying voice speak out making Mrs Han turns and glare at your brother.

 

“Jung Daehyun. I dare you to make those faces again if you want to get drop off from school choir team.” Mrs Han threatening him.

 

“Are you sure you want to let go of your precious gem from school choir team?” Daehyun bites back making Mrs Han widen her eyes.

 

“Jung!”

 

You end up got 12 hours community service while Daehyun has 24 hours with his status as choir team get suspended until the next competition end. You feel bad dragging Daehyun with this unwanted punishment. He was just protecting you. However, Daehyun seems not bothered with his punishment.

 

“Dae…”

 

“What?”

 

“I’m sorry… Dragging you into this.”

 

“Nah… I can rest from that team for a while. Let Jongup outshine now.” He said, grinning. He looks at your gloomy face. He let out a chuckle and pull you into a tight warm hug.

 

“Hey… It’s okay. Hmm?” His said, comforting you. You sniffle your tears. Guilt wrapping your heart and attacking your mind merciless. You know Daehyun love his choir team and enjoys every bit of it. It is his biggest chance to get the college scholarship and you almost destroy it.

 

After you collect yourself back, Daehyun walks you to your class. He stands before your class, grinning.

 

“Study well.”

 

“Pfft… What are you talking about? I should be saying that to you, Mr Snooze. ” Daehyun let out a laugh hearing his nickname that his classmate gave him. You watch him leaves to class or he might skip his class again and goes to the rooftop instead. You sigh and knock on the classroom door. Hearing the voice, you froze. It’s his class.

 

“Jung?” Himchan opens the door as you have not opened the door after he said to come in. He looks at you, frozen in your face.

 

“Are you alright, Jung?” You blink, gaining your sense back. You bow and walk inside, heading to your desk. Himchan walks back to his place and resumes his class. Jongup gives you an encouragement nudge. You smile at him, taking out your books.

 

The class quiet, only Himchan’s voice echoes in the class. Most of the boys snooze while the girls eyeing Himchan, not listening to his teaching anymore. Jihyun and Youngjae still listening intently to the lesson while Jongup already snoozes off beside you. You glance at Jongup and poke his cheek. You don’t know if this guy has opened his eyes because of his crescent moon shaped eyes.

 

“Right. Seems all of you already went to another world, I will end my class early.” In instant, the classroom becomes livelier again. Himchan shook his head watching his students’ reaction.

 

“Miss Jung, please follow me to the office later.” You widen your eyes hearing Himchan’s order. The couple and Jongup exchanging looks with you. After he done cleans up his things, you follow him to the teacher room.

 

Himchan puts his things on his desk. You watch him, waiting for his words. You have been thinking about him lecturing you regarding your punishment and you seemingly can’t stop all the negative thoughts running through your head. Himchan sits on his chair and turns to you.

 

“Are you alright?”

 

“Pardon?”

 

“I saw you and your brother to Mrs Han’s room. Are you alright?”

 

“Oh… Other than having to hear her usual story and getting punishment, it’s fine I guess.” You said half-heartily. Himchan raises his eyebrow seeing your unusual response.

 

“You are not fine.”

 

“Why are you calling me here?”

 

“Here. I ate it well. Thank you, Jung.” Himchan gives your empty lunchbox. You stare at the lunchbox. Does he finish it?

 

“You made it well. I love it. I mean it.” He smiles, a smile he will give it out to you only. You are mesmerized by his charming smile. Taking your lunchbox slowly, you bow and turn to walk back to your class.

 

“Jung Reen.”

 

“Yes?” You turn back. Himchan opens up his mouth before shook his head, smiling.

 

“Nothing. You may go.” Confuse, you walk back to your class.

 

You walk inside and sit at your place. Some of your classmates try to comfort you. Everyone knows anyone who got called into Mrs Han’s office never ends well. You put down your head on your desk, closing your eyes. You feel someone pat your head slowly, you smile enjoying the pat. You know it is Jongup. A man with few words but full of actions. You suddenly remembered how Himchan wants to say something but he seems reluctant.

 

‘What did he wanted to say?

 

 

Today is your first-day doing community service, so you stay in after the school end. Picking up trashes around the school, you heard Wonhee escapes her punishment with her father’s order. You scoff, misusing her father’s power as an escape. Daehyun went to organized the school sport’s storeroom. From the teacher’s lounge window, Himchan watch you working ard picking up the trash. He sighs, feeling guilty for unable to stand up for you the other day. He quickly cleans up his things to go home.

 

“Good evening, Mr Kim.” You said as you saw him passing by. He looks at you and smile.

 

“Good evening, Jung. Do well okay.” He gives you some encouragement. You blush and bow slightly and rush away after thanking him. Himchan let out a chuckle, watching you go.

 

“Cute”

 

You have done your punishment hours for today, finishing up with sorting out the trashes. You walk to the dumpster behind the school. However, you feel uneasy the moment you walk to that empty place. You look around, you feel someone is watching you.

 

“Maybe just my imagination. I should hurry up and meet Daehyun soon.” You rush to the dumpster and throw away the trashes. You walk away fast from the dumpster. You are getting uneasier.

 

“Jung Reen..."

 

You halt. Before you know it, you are surrounded by unknown people. Between them, you saw Wonhee walk to you. You can see her eyes filled with anger and revenge.

 

“Choi Wonhee.” You muster up your courage, staring into her eyes. Wonhee smirks at you.

 

“Alone baby girl? Where is your Daedae?” She traces her finger on your cheek. You watch her carefully.

 

“What are you doing?” You asked her.

“Hmm… What are you doing with Mr Kim the other day? Lunchbox? Are you… trying to hook up with him?”

 

“Bull” A loud slap echoes at the dumpster. You bit your bottom lip hard, wincing.

 

“How’s that? Hmm… Seems Daehyun wouldn’t be able to rescue his baby girl today.” Wonhee grabs your chin, you stare strongly into her eyes. You dare her to hit you again, ignoring the pain.

 

Daehyun pants heavily, he has been frantically searching you around the school. The sun is setting down making Daehyun almost in panic mode. He calls you out countless time but no response. Your phone also unreachable. Where is his sister go? 

 

“Jung Reen!!!” Daehyun shouts out, continue searching for you.

 

You gain your consciousness. Looking around, you realize you are in your room. How? You thought. You try to get up but a sharp pain made you stop. You wince.

 

“Hey, take it easy.” A hand stop your moving and lay you down slowly. You look and see your brother, checking on you. He sighs, caressing your hair.

 

“Reen… Why didn’t you shout out for me?” Daehyun asks, his eyes filled with pain and guilt. You give him a weak smile before you losing your consciousness again. Daehyun watches you, bruises and cuts on your face. There are bandages wrapped neatly around you.

“Who did this to my baby girl…” He let out a heavy sigh.