ONE

KIM & I

You walk inside your class, seeing your friend Jihyun poking her sleeping boyfriend. Jihyun looks at you as you put your bag at your place.

 

“Reenie~!” She beams, quickly holding your arm. You raise your eyebrow at her. You look around, the classroom seems noisier than usual.

 

“Mr Jung has an emergency leave~ So, there will be no teacher for some times~” Jihyun explains. You nod. Jihyun tugs your sleeve and pulls you out from class.

 

“Uh… Where are we going?”

 

“Cafeteria. I heard today will have a special breakfast. Come on I treat you” She grins, making you smile. You both walk to the cafeteria, leaving Youngjae taking his nap.

 

Jihyun ordering your meals at the counter when you heard a voice calling you from behind. You know the voice so well that you got frozen.

 

“Jung Reen? What are you doing here?” Kim Himchan, one of temporary teacher also known as your crush asks you. You unconsciously biting your lip as Himchan takes his seat in front of you.

 

“Jung Reen. I’m asking you here.” He waves his hand on your face breaking the ice around you. Your mouth gap open to speak up but no voice come out, Himchan waits for your answer.

 

“I’m sorry Mr. Kim. Jung Reen only following me for breakfast here. Our teacher, Mr Jung has an emergency leave.” A tray of meals land on the table. Both of you look at Jihyun who answering Himchan’s question for you. Himchan nods, his best friend Jung Taekwoon left to the hospital just now for his wife.

 

“Then mind if I join you both for breakfast?” He gives out his charming smile. Jihyun agrees without waiting for your answer before Himchan left to the counter to buy his meal. Jihyun nudges you hard, looking at you unbelievable.

 

“Don’t just frozen. Be natural. Talk to him!” She hisses at you. You can feel your cheeks warm enough to tell you that you are blushing. You quickly take your sandwich and take a bite to ease your nerves.

 

The three of you eat with few small talks between Himchan and Jihyun to break the awkwardness. After the meal, you and Jihyun walk back to your class as Himchan told you there will be a replacement teacher soon. Himchan watches you go, he let out a soft chuckle, resuming his meal.

 

 

Lunch break arrive. Jihyun and Youngjae drag you to the cafeteria to join them for lunch. You and Jihyun met in elementary school. You are an introvert while she is an extrovert. However, you both grow fond of each other even with a different personality. While Youngjae is Jihyun boyfriend since they start high school.

 

Jihyun is sweet yet she has her own rough side while Youngjae has this sassy side where he literally burns everyone with his words. Only Jihyun able to fight him back and only Youngjae can stand with her rough side. For you, Jihyun and Youngjae are a match made in heaven.

 

The three of you put down your trays and eat your lunch. Even though the couple doesn’t mind with you hanging out with them, it does make you feel uncomfortable for being the third wheel. You prefer to eat your lunch privately but both of them occasionally bring you to lunch with them. You mindlessly eating your lunch before you feel someone ruffling your hair rough.

 

“Aish! Jung Daehyun!” You shout, glaring at your brother who a year older than you. Daehyun gives out a sly grin and naturally sits beside Youngjae.

 

Awww, my baby girl mad?” He grins, taking your caramel pudding that you save it for the last. You hit Daehyun’s head with the spoon on reflex.

 

“Mine! Mine! Give it back!” Daehyun immediately returns your pudding before you get wilder. You puff your cheeks, resuming your lunch. Jihyun and Youngjae watch both of you, frozen.

 

“Wahh even if I’ve seen this numerous times it’s still weird watching Daehyun lose with her own sister,” Youngjae said. Jihyun nods, agreeing with Youngjae.

 

“What are you doing here? I thought you went to Choir Competition?” You ask Daehyun without looking at him.

 

“I’m bored so I left the stage right after I finish. Besides, it’s lunch time and the food there is not good as our cafeteria. Also, it’s a weekly special! You thought I’m gonna miss it?” Daehyun answers with his mouth full of food. You glare at his behaviour but before you could hit him again, Youngjae already hits Daehyun head.

 

“Talk after you finish the food in your mouth! Why you left Jongup?!”

 

“Yah! I’m your senior! Jongup can survive on his own!”

“Senior bull. If I did born in January I already in the same class as you.” Both of them start bickering while you and Jihyun get up and left them. It’s a usual sight for them to bicker everywhere, but that what made them a best friend.

 

 

You listen to your playlist under the tree near the school field. Daehyun still has his vocal practice after school so you have to wait for him to finish. You aimlessly scribbling on your sketchbook, humming with the song in the playlist. Eventually, you drift off to sleep.

 

Himchan walks out from the teacher’s room to get ready for his class at night. He massages his nape slowly, thinking of today event and his night class. Every Tuesday and Wednesday, he has a night class for his final year project in university. Himchan stops his step as he heard a soft snore near the tree.

 

‘Is there still a student here other than choir team? It’s almost dark though.’ He walks to the source sound and froze. His eyes caught you sleeping, snoring softly. Himchan unconsciously smiles at the sight. He comes close to you, kneeling.

 

“Jung Reen.” calls out your name. He stares at your face feature. He admits she’s not the prettiest but in his eyes, you are pretty. He removes a strand of your hair behind your ear.

 

You are so beautiful, ReenWords slip out his lips. He grits his teeth and smacks his head for the slip. He touches your shoulder, shaking you a little.

 

Jung Reen… Miss Jung…

 

I’m sorry Miss Han but I really don’t know the answer.” You mumble. Himchan takes a deep breath, holding up his laughter. Himchan looks around. That’s it. She’s waiting for his brother, Jung Daehyun. He got vocal practice with choir team. Maybe he should stay here for a while. Himchan slowly sits near you, watching you sleep.

 

Everyone in the school knows how overprotective Daehyun is to his sister. Himchan knows even as the teacher, Daehyun never allows any guy near you except Youngjae and Jongup. However, his worries about your safety are bigger than his fear of Daehyun. Himchan stares at you. You have a similar eyes smile and a beauty mark under your left eye as Daehyun. Whenever you smile, a cat-like face appear. Himchan notices your slightly open mouth before his eyes caught on your lips.

 

Without realizing it, Himchan leans in closer to you. He looks at you with a loving gaze. Yes, he falls in love with his own student. His lips brush with yours pull him back to reality. He quickly pulls away, embarrasses with his behaviour. Himchan quickly leaves you and walks to his car.

 

 

 

You heard your brother’s voice faintly. You pull out your earphone and open your eyes. You saw Daehyun walks to you. Weird. You touch your lips, you are pretty sure something brushed your lips.

 

“Sorry for being late. Miss Song nagged at me for leaving the competition.”

“Serve you right.” You pack up your things and both of you left the school together.