Chapter 5

Silence (A JinJi Fanfiction)

"You have improved so much Jisoo!"

Right in front of her was Inkigayo PD, giving her an evaluation after her second day filming. That day, Doyoung didn't come to the broadcast as his schedule clashed with an overseas show. Replacing him was the best and the longest Inkigayo MC to date, ZE:A Kwanghee. She was shocked at how friendly this man was. Seconds after introducing himself, he was already complimenting her (and also complimenting Jinyoung), saying that he watched their first Inkigayo episode and was really impressed. Today's broadcast went really smooth as well. Kwanghee helped Jisoo and Jinyoung through their script reading practice and gave them so many helpful advices. Jisoo was really grateful that she could learn from this man.

"It's okay to make many ad-libs, and it's okay if you don't follow the scripts as long as you know what information needs to be delivered." Kwanghee explained, although he smiled but his tone of voice was a bit serious. "The writers don't know you, they don't know who you really are, or how do you usually talk or make jokes. I usually came early for script reading with my fellow MCs because we would change some lines in the script. This way, everything will come out naturally."

Jinyoung nodded as he immediately took notes. "I see, Jisoo-ssi, we really need to come early every Sunday, then."

"That's true. But I'm not sure if I can always come early."

Kwanghee in right away. "It's okay! I don't seriously ask you to come early. It's just a suggestion. But it's true that you need to practice the script before the filming. Or even if you don't want to change the whole script, at least try to rephrase it with your own words. Ah, that's more like it." Jisoo was amazed how words could naturally come out out from her sunbaenim. He had looked up to his name as a famous variety star.

"I'll make sure Doyoung-ie knows about this, too." Jinyoung said, feeling enthusiastic all of the sudden.

"Ah, I feel honored. Honestly, you guys are already good. Look at you two, in just a short amount of time, I bet you three had become so close." Kwanghee teased the youngsters, earning a shy and awkward laugh from Jinyoung while Jisoo's face flushed. 

"Well, chemistry is important. The way to make it less awkward for the audience to watch you is to eliminate the awkwardness between you three."

Jisoo and Jinyoung nodded. After receiving lots of advices from the senior, they started their filming. Jisoo tried to practice what she had learnt from Kwanghee and it totally worked. She gained confidence in using her own words and displaying all kinds of expression to the audience. Jinyoung was even more relaxed than before, he occasionally joked with Kwanghee and Kwanghee reciprocated with an even funnier jokes. It was a fun broadcast, even the staffs laughed at the three of them. Jisoo thought that it was such a pity that Doyoung was not there to witness everything.

Thinking about the whole thing made her happy, especially after the compliments she got from the PD. She strolled down the hallway to the waiting room, finding Jinyoung who was reading a book, waiting for her. When he realized she was already standing inside the room, he closed his book and smiled at her.

"How was it?" He immediately asked and Jisoo couldn't hide her squeal.

"The PD said I improved so much. He liked that I gave a lot of expressions, and that I didn't hide it when I got shy or amused. He said it was really natural. Ah, he said we worked so well together!" Jisoo said, smiling ear to ear. Jinyoung chuckled at her excitement. Ah, that high-pitched voice.

"Kwanghee-sunbaenim really helps us a lot. It was really nice he was here with us," Jinyoung said. 

Jisoo nodded. "His energy is contagious. I saw you get as excited and it made me laugh in front of the camera. Ah, today was really fun." 

"I wish Doyoung is here."

They looked at each other for a split second, throwing each other a tender smile. For a while, they didn't say anything but both of them knew that the awkwardness was gone. It was a comfortable silence. 

Just when Jisoo was about to say something, Jinyoung's manager came in to tell him to go back, somewhat looking a bit annoyed. Jinyoung nodded and he took his stuffs right away.

"Are you in a hurry?" Jisoo asked, worried. His manager wasn't a friendly man but even so, he was a bit nervous today.

"I don't know, but I have to go. Sorry, Jisoo-ssiannyeong."

"Annyeong." She waved as Jinyoung hurriedly went out from the waiting room. A few minutes later, her manager came in to ask her to go home as well. Before that she announced something important.

"This Inkigayo had just given us managers heart attack. Ugh, I can't."

"What happened?" Oh maybe this is why Jinyoung's manager looked so agitated.

"Well, you know next week is their 900th days, right? And they want you the MCs plus AKMU to perform a special stage, giving us only, ONLY a week to practice. Jinyoung's manager was rather unhappy to hear that, I can't wait to see Doyoung's manager's reaction."

Jisoo listened attentively but deep down, she was happy to hear that. It meant that she could play and practice with her new idol friends and co-MCs, outside the filming day. I should tell the girls about this, they will be really excited once they hear this.

"Unfortunately, Jinyoung was a bit busy this week, so maybe he won't be able to practice together. I texted Doyoung's manager and he said he could make time this week at least once. This sudden event really gives us a hard time."

Oh, no...

"Jinyoung-ssi can't come?" Jisoo blurted out the question and as soon as it came out, she pressed tight. She was surprised at how careless she was.

"Um...yes?"

"I see..." Jisoo said but even the most oblivious person in the world could take the hint of disappointment in her voice. Manager-unnie was definitely not an oblivious person, as she narrowed her eyes.

"You sound so disappointed?"

Jisoo widened her eyes in surprise. "No, unnie. I mean..." Well, of course unnie wouldn't buy any excuses.

"Yeah, I mean...it's too bad. When I hear the news, I thought I could at least have a time to hang out with my complete team. But I guess, it's just me and Doyoung-ie then."

"And don't forget about AKMU. And also, you're not together to hang out. It's practice and practice alone."

Jisoo smiled. Although her manager was such a serious person, but she was actually really caring. "Unnie, why did you sound like Sajangnim just now?" She giggled.

"Hush, let's just go back. I need to arrange time with the 'Inkigayo managers'. Ugh, this is making me headache."

~

Since the filming ended earlier than she had expected, Jisoo had time to come back to her dorm and rest before she and the girls would go to YG studio and practice. As soon as she opened the door, Blackpink members greeted her enthusiastically as if she was the mother penguin who came back with food for its kids.

"Unnie, we all watch your Inkigayo performance!" Lisa said, hugging her unnie.

"Sol! Sol! Sol! Unnie, let me see your aegyo again!" 

Jisoo rolled her eyes but she laughed along. The girls looked so ready to practice. Jennie and Lisa sported tight yoga pants and oversized sweaters with black t-shirt underneath, looking like twins. Rose on the other hand, wore a sweatpants and white hoodie. They heard today was their first choreography practice for their upcoming comeback. Today will be a long day. Ah, and I woke up so early today.

"And yes, of course, we saw how you always glanced at Jinyoung-ssi." Jennie teased Jisoo. Hearing that, the older girl run chasing her.

"Yah, Jennie! Don't say nonsense things like that!" Jisoo chased her best friend who was running and screaming.

"Well, can't blame unnie. Jinyoung-sunbaenim is cute!" Rose added. Lisa turned her head and gave her a thumbs up.

"Girls, I don't know what you're talking about." Jisoo shrugged as she walked to her bedroom. "I'll change my clothes first."

But when she went inside, the first she did was to check her phone, finding out a bunch of messages from group chat.

Kim Doyoung (3:01PM):
I'm so jealous of you guys! I watched today's Inkigayo, noona, hyung.

P. Jinyoung (3:01PM):
You should be! Kwanghee-sunbaenim was a really nice guy. He helped us a lot today.

Kim Doyoung (3:01PM):
Hyung, you're especially cute today. Aegyo~ I should ask you to do that more often, hyung.

P. Jinyoung (3:01PM):
On the contrary, I'll tell you to do it on our next broadcast. By the way, good luck for your overseas performance! Don't forget to bring us a lot of snacks ㅋㅋㅋㅋ

Kim Doyoung (3:01PM):
Thank you, hyung! I will!! Oh, where is Jisoo-noona? And hyung, it's so rare for you to reply so fast.

P. Jinyoung (3:01PM):
I'm just about to practice! Fighting, maknae-ah!

Jisoo saw the text messages and smiled. But her original intention to open the chat was to ask Jinyoung if he really couldn't come for practice.

Jisoo (3:25PM):
Jinyoung-ssi, do you know about our upcoming collaboration stage for Inkigayo 900th days?

To her surprise, a reply came right away.

P. Jinyoung (3:25PM):
I do, but my manager said that I will be super hectic this week so I will be practicing alone.

Jisoo (3:25PM):
I see... that's too bad. Unnie said this time we will practice in YG building. I wish you could come so that I can introduce you and Doyoung-ie to my members. ㅠ, ㅜ

P. Jinyoung (3:26PM):
I'll try my best to make time. I'm sure I can convince my manager to spare some time.

Jisoo (3:26PM):
But don't push yourself. Take care of your health first! The weather is cold, so stay warm!

P. Jinyoung (3:26PM):
Don't worry. I'll be fine. I have to go back to practice! Annyeong, Jisoo-ssi!

What is this? Why does it feel like we are a thing? Jisoo thought, even though she was blushing and smiling at her own shameless thought. She stood up to take some clothes and change. After that she texted Doyoung.

Kim Doyoung (3:30PM):
Inkigayo collaboration stage? Ah, I heard. My manager said that we will practice either tomorrow or the day after tomorrow because after that day I have no other time to practice. It will be in YG building, right, noona?

Jisoo (3:30PM):
Ne, it's true. But Jinyoung-ssi won't be able to practice with us. It's a bit sad.

Kim Doyoung (3:30PM):
Jinjjayo, noona? Ah, how sad ㅠ. ㅜ

From outside of Jisoo's bedroom, Jennie called her, telling her that they had to go to YG studio to practice now.

"Jisoo-ya, are you changing your clothes or sleeping? Palli palli."

~

GOT7 was practicing the choreography for "Never Ever" again and again, honestly they were already so tired of it. Though everyone had got used to this constant practice, but this time it was a bit too much. Even Bambam was a bit annoyed, losing his patience every time someone got it wrong. No one was excited in practicing even if the song was really good.

"I'm pretty sure JYP-sajangnim has something prepared to push us this hard." Jaebum reassured the members who were all exhausted. He then looked at Jinyoung sitting against the wall with his head down, panting hard.

"Jinyoung-ahgwenchana? Are you sick?" The leader approached Jinyoung. He put his hand on his fellow member's forehead and as soon as he did that, he pulled back his hand. He spent no time as he ran outside looking for their manager. The rest of the members who saw that commotion began to crowd around Jinyoung, worried. Jinyoung got a fever.

"Yah, Jinyoung-ah, this is really a bad habit of yours. Don't push yourself like this." Jackson checked his temperature as well.

"Hyung, do you feel sick elsewhere?" Bambam shook his hyung's shoulder a little bit in hope to catch some sort of a response.

Jinyoung took a deep breath and shook his head. But as soon as he did that, he grimaced and put his hand to support his head.

"Ugh, tell Jaebum-hyung, it's alright. I just need to rest a bit and then I can start practicing again."

"Are you crazy?" Jackson scolded him. At the same time, Jaebum came back with their manager. He told Jinyoung to go back to the dorm and rest. At first, Jinyoung refused and he even forced himself to stand up and act as if he was fine. All the members kept pestering him about resting in the dorm for a day but Jinyoung shook his head, smiling and reassuring them that he was alright now. Jackson kept telling him to shut up and listen to them but Jinyoung walked towards his position in the dance, signaling everyone it was time to begin the practice again. Everyone was about to give in to his stubbornness until Jaebum stepped up.

The leader grabbed Jinyoung's shirt and literally yelled at his face.

"YOU! Go home! NOW!"

Jinyoung was shocked at first, but he lost his temper and shoved Jaebum's hand from his shirt. They had an intense staring contest, both of them were ready to fight each other. Even the members were already separating them. Mark and Yugyeom were holding Jaebum while Jackson held Jinyoung back.

"What are you two doing? Stop this!" Manager-hyung yelled at them. He pointed at Jinyoung, telling him to go home with him otherwise he'd tell the boss. In the end, Jinyoung gave in. He gave an apologetic look to Jaebum who was still breathing heavily. The older brother only stared back.

It was rare to find Jaebum and Jinyoung fought. It was usually Jackson who started a fight, or Mark. But today, Jaebum just lost it at Jinyoung. What is happening to you, Jinyoung.

"Whatever is happening to you?" Manager-hyung was now driving and shouting at Jinyoung for making a scene. "Do you know that everyone is tired? What is wrong with you?"

Jinyoung who was already closing his eyes, leaning on the car seat and talked, "Really, hyung. It was just a slight headache. I can continue after 15 minutes rest. I just need to lay down on the sofa and that's it. Everyone was exaggerating."

"You are the healthiest member out of GOT7, it surprised them to see you so weak. And your habit of pushing yourself like this will only harm your body. Let's rest for today." This time, his manager softened.

When Jinyoung didn't reply, the manager talked again. "You have an MV shoot for a week straight, and you still need to practice for Inkigayo. You should really take care of your body. Go home and drink vitamin before you go to sleep."

Jinyoung's eyes shot up after the manager mentioned InkigayoAh, yeah, I still have another practice for Inkigayo. Great. He suddenly remembered Jisoo and the fact that he had told her that he'd do his best to spare some time. But at this point...

"I was about to let you practice for the Inkigayo the day after tomorrow. But looking at your attitude and your health, I'm pretty sure you can't force yourself. Or maybe I should've just told Inkigayo that you could not perform."

This time, Jinyoung sat up straight and turned his head to his manager. "Hyung, don't. I'll make sure I'll get better. In turn, please let me practice for Inkigayo."

The manager looked at him, considering his words. "You see, two days from now, you have a photoshoot. If you can finish the photoshoot quickly, you can go and practice that Inkigayo thing." Jinyoung didn't say anything as he laid back to the car seat.

"Honestly, the weather is too cold. And you guys have an MV making tomorrow."

~

The trip to his dorm was a quiet one. In the midst of preparing their MV, his manager became even stricter and intolerant. If they woke up late, or if they were left behind the schedule, he would get upset. In times like this, not only the managers were annoyed, but members of GOT7 would feel burdened. Jaebum usually calmed everyone down so no one would be triggered to fight the manager, or throw tantrums although in some cases, it would be Jaebum who lost his temper. Meanwhile, Jinyoung would usually stay quiet, staying away from the crowd to listen to music or read books. He repeatedly told himself that all would be well after everything was done. But sometimes it was too much even for him.

He was not the type to complain. He kept everything inside, only shared it to Jaebum if he couldn't take it anymore. But the pressure was even worse during this comeback. The reason behind this was obvious and Jinyoung was sure that the members knew this, too.

There was no room for mistakes.

The third generation of K-pop idol was highly competitive, if they couldn't prepare something extraordinary, they'd be forgotten. They'd disappoint their fans and it would affect their career to a great extent. Even JYP himself saw this and he warned the seven of them to always do their best in order to exist.

The only reason they remained strong and existing was because of their loyal fans who were always supporting them on each comeback, not only Korean fans but also International fans. For that, Jinyoung couldn't be thankful enough. Wherever GOT7 go, there will always be Ahgases who know them. It was a beautiful relationship, and Jinyoung pledged to protect it. 

His girlfriend would always be his ahgasesRight? 

When he was already in his bedroom, his headache was gone and he didn't feel like sleeping. Sleeping now meant that he wouldn't be able to sleep at night and it was the last thing he wanted. Screw you and your body, Jinyoung, he started to believe that he was not really sick, it was his body's refusal to keep practicing. He decided to take a nice warm shower, and read a book afterwards. 

It was Kafka On the Shore, his current favorite book that Jaebum recommended to him. He brought it everywhere and he read it in every chance he got; between filming, in the car, or even in the toilet. That book was amazing, a truly page-turner. He couldn't wait to finish it but he didn't want the book to finish either. The story was full of adventures and puzzles he tried to solve. Won't it be amazing if it turns out that alternate universe exists, that another me is living on the other side, becoming more awesome than who I am right now. He probably achieves everything he wishes for and lives freely. He can be an influential hero, or maybe a vigilante. What if our paths cross but we just don't know that for once in a lifetime we are a single person. 

And,

Does he make a right decision? Does another Jinyoung have no regret? Does that Jinyoung know how is it like to be worthy enough in front of everyone's eyes? 

Damn...

My life right now...how he wished he could get everything he desired. Deep down, he was a selfish person. He had a bad temper, he was often jealous. Not only in relationship, but he envied other people's achievement. He wanted to be in the spotlight, too. He wanted people to recognize him, to be able to make his parents and people around him proud. He was that ambitious.

It all changed when Jinyoung met Jaebum. They were like Yin and Yang, while Jinyoung was silently ambitious, Jaebum was so pragmatic. He wasn't in a hurry, in fact the leader spent his everyday time reading, traveling, or taking photographic pictures. But even then, he still slowly left his footprints on this world; writing music and doing anything he wanted to do, getting recognized for his works. Jinyoung. on the other hand, tried to grasp everything all at once. He tried acting, singing, and even song-writing until he realized that he couldn't be like this. He toned down a bit, focusing on things that he wanted to do first and from there he slowly achieved things he previously couldn't do. At the same time, he found his true self; his own enjoyment, his own hobby, his own likes and dislikes, his goals

Meeting Jaebum was a fate he wouldn't ever want to exchange. 

Ah, this reminds me of hyung. I should apologize to him, Jinyoung suddenly thought of Jaebum. He took his phone and typed a message for him. 

P. Jinyoung (5:22PM):
I'm sorry. It won't happen again

Jinyoung was about to read again but a reply came from Jaebum.

Im Jae Bum (5:23PM):
It's been a long time since we fight. Kinda miss it. Take a good rest.

He smiled.

----------

Hi, sorry for the long update this is chapter 5. While the previous chapter we take a look at Jisoo's personality and characteristics now it's Jinyoung's turn. And of course everything is only based on my observation/opinion!

I see Jinyoung as a serious person, who must've a really bad temper but is good at keeping it by himself because he is that mature eomma in GOT7. Also, in GOT7, I feel like he is probably the only one who can match Jaebum in fist fight. I don't know just a hunch. 

Since he is a serious person, Jaebum balances his personality. I think that is why they're matched. Jaebum influenced Jinyoung to be more relaxed, to enjoy life, to find what he truly wants while Jinyoung influenced Jaebum to be a little bit more ambitious, to work harder that he was before. Symbiotic mutualism.

And yes, I feel like he is really ambitious. If you watch GOT7's Weekly Idol or other variety shows, you can see Jinyoung being super serious in games, which is kinda cool and also kinda scary, imo.

Anyway! Thank you for reading!