Chapter 4

Silence (A JinJi Fanfiction)

P. Jinyoung (3:50PM):
Are you okay?

Jisoo read the sender's name over and over again. She opened the app to check if it was a message from the group chat but no, it was definitely a private message that Jinyoung sent to her. She didn't reply him immediately; one part of her felt that she didn't know what to say and another part felt that she wanted their conversations to be private. Jisoo decided to wait until she got back to her room to reply him. Plus, she didn't want her manager to get suspicious.

Manager-unnie drove her to the dorm instead of YG studio. Jisoo turned her head to her manager, asking for explanation.

"Unnie, Jennie reminded me that we have practice today. Why are we here?"

"I'll tell them that you don't feel well. I'll give you 3 hours to rest and to calm yourself down. You are feeling a bit down, you won't practice well. You will make the other members worried about you, instead. If you are feeling better, just call me and I will pick you up."

Jisoo smiled thankfully to her manager who really understood her. This meant she was all alone in the dorm and she could use a few hours of nap to refresh. She got out of the car and bowed to her manager afterwards. 

When she was already in her room, the first thing she did was to take her phone and opened the message that Jinyoung sent her. She tried to figure out the proper way to answer him, she didn't want him to worry about her.

Jisoo (4:30PM):
Jinyoung-ssi, I'm okay. I just got home. Thank you for your hard work today. Fighting!

Much to her surprise, Jinyoung replied her message in an instant.

P. Jinyoung (4:30PM):
Thanks for your hard work! 

Jisoo read his short message and felt a slight disappointment. I guess Jinyoung is not the type to play with his phone a lot, she wondered. As she contemplated whether to reply or let it be, another message from Jinyoung came in.

P. Jinyoung (4:32PM):
I really think you're a great MC, Jisoo-ssi. You added your own jokes to the script. A rhyme genius, indeed! I'm pretty sure the PD likes you.

Well, Jinyoung-ssi, you are unfortunately wrong, Jisoo thought about it sadly. 

Jisoo (4:33PM):
I'm not sure about that. I got some scoldings ㅋㅋㅋ

Jisoo waited to see his answer, but even after 10 minutes, he still hadn't replied her message. She threw her phone on the bed, discouraged and bad mood. Deep down, Jisoo knew that she was not mad at the PD, I mean, she couldn't be mad at someone who were more expert about broadcasting than her. She was mad at herself who didn't do it well. She felt bad for becoming a burden to her fellow MC's and the staffs. It must be really troublesome to redo the filming or cutout her mistakes from the recording. 

I should've done better, she felt tears started welling up in her eyes. She fought it by looking up to stop the tears from falling down. Suddenly, her phone rang and she finally saw a reply from Jinyoung.

P. Jinyoung (4:46PM):
Sorry, I was talking to Jaebum-hyung. Jinjjayo? The PD scolded you?

Jisoo (4:46PM):
Ani, I was just kidding. He was giving me a lot of suggestions. Btw, can you also give me some advices, Jinyoung-ssi? What do you think I should improve?

P. Jinyoung (4:47PM):
I'm not in the position to give you an advice actually ㅋㅋ
I'm just as bad as you. Doyoung hard carried us, he was the MVP.

Jisoo (4:47PM):
No, you were good. You were so good, Jinyoung-ssi. You are always calm even when you said something wrong. 

Jisoo inhaled sharply. She typed again, this time she was brave enough to tell everything that the PD told her.

Jisoo (4:48PM):
The PD told me that I was too stiff and I smiled all the time, making me look really awkward. I missed a lot of cues, I think you have known that but Doyoung-ie helped me several times. You and Doyoung-ie were really professional, the PD realized that I paid too much attention on you two and it was too obvious that I tried too hard to keep up. Jinyoung-ssi, I'm really sorry I have become a burden.

This time, tears had fallen from her eyes and it didn't stop. She softly sobbed. The embarrassment, the guilt, the burden all came crashing down upon her and she felt defeated. Today was just her first day and it was already unforgiving. She failed to give the best first impression to the audience.

P. Jinyoung (4:50PM):
Jisoo-sii, where are you right now?

Jisoo (4:50PM):
I'm in my room.

P. Jinyoung (4:50PM):
Are you alone?

Jisoo (4:50PM):
Yes.

Suddenly, her phone rang continuously as she received a phone call. What made her surprise was that it was not Jennie nor her manager who called her, but Jinyoung. Jinyoung was calling her and her being emotionally unstable right now, she rejected the call on impulse.

P. Jinyoung (4:52PM):
Mianhae, I shouldn't have called you so suddenly. I'm a bit worried. Can I call you?

Worried? Why would he be worried about me? Jisoo pondered. The worse thing was that she wanted to cry even more, that someone who wasn't even that close were concerned about her. She should have just acted like she always did, that she was fine even after a long, tiring day. Like how she smiled after being scolded for always making mistake during dance practice, or for failing to hit a high note, or making mistakes on stage. 

She always wanted to suffer alone. Now, she regretted her decision to tell Jinyoung.

In front of Jinyoung, however, she was unable to hide. The more she wanted to act, the more she couldn't hold it in. It was as if her heart had chosen this person as its safe place, even though her logic refused to acknowledged that. 

Jisoo (4:52PM):
No, Jinyoung-ssi. Sorry, please don't call me.

She told him not to call, but he called her instead. Her phone rang for a good 5 seconds and she was wondering if she should answer. Finally, she gave in. She wiped her tears, cleared , and tested if her voice sounded raspy. When everything was okay, she answered his call.

"Jinyoung-ssi, I told you not to call me," Jisoo told him softly. 

"I know, but I just want to know if you're okay."

Jisoo laughed softly. "Thank you for your concern, but I'm really okay."

There was a pause. Jinyoung didn't say anything. But when he did..

"Were you crying?"

This time, it was Jisoo who went silent. How did he know? My voice sounds okay, I don't have runny nose. I even laughed...

"Did you... tell me not to call you because you were crying?"

Again, Jinyoung silenced her. 

"Hey," Jinyoung called her gently. Jisoo could feel the warmth in his tone and it didn't help her emotion at all. She began crying again and she pressed her lips hard so that her sobs would not escape . 

"I-I...," Jisoo took a deep breath before she continued, "I'm angry. Disappointed. I'm so disappointed in myself."

This time, all hell broke loose. She sobbed. She was aware that she let Jinyoung witness her breakdown, but she didn't care. She kept crying, pouring out all her exhaustion to the person across the line. She might feel embarassed later but at that moment Jisoo felt relieved, that it was right to let out her sadness to Jinyoung.

And the entire time, Jinyoung listened. He listened to her hiccups, and her incoherent murmur, and even the sound of her blowing her nose. He, too, was relieved that Jisoo was willing to open up to him. Even at her lowest point. He thought this was the starting point of their friendship, this would end all the awkward silence between them.

"Jisoo-ssi?" Jinyoung called her name. 

"N-ne?" She whispered. 

"Good job, today."

Jisoo sobbed harder but she managed to mumble a soft 'thank you'. She calmed herself down and smiled to herself, there is always another day. She wished Jinyoung was in front of her to see that she was truly okay now.

"The three of us, we could do better. Next time, let's practice more!" 

"Ne! Fighting!" Jisoo said, finally laughing. 

~

They didn't stop talking even after Jisoo had calmed down. For at least 30 minutes, they were discussing about their new job, MCs of Inkigayo. The atmosphere was no longer thick or heavy, they were already casually talking as if they had been friends for a long time. Jisoo was leaning on the headboard. One hand was holding her phone close to her ear, the other twirled her hair. She didn't even realize that she was still in her Inkigayo outfit. Her current attention was talking with the person on the phone. 

"Still, I feel awkward to say something to someone without looking straight into their eyes. That's why I keep turning my head to look at you or Doyoung. The PD said it was a bit distracting," Jisoo sighed. 

"Me, too. We have developed that habit. I always have the urge to look at Doyoung," Jinyoung added, "it's funny how we always gravitate towards the maknae. He is the sun, indeed." He referenced Doyoung's sunny personality.

Not true, I always turn to look at you, Jinyoung. But instead of saying that, Jisoo just chuckled at his comment.

"I feel bad that we don't include Doyoung in our conversation," Jisoo said. She heard the other side of the line laughed at her statement. 

"That reminds me, we should have thanked Doyoung, he 'hard carried' us today."

"Ah, majayo. But I'm a bit surprise he hasn't sent any message considering he's always on the phone. Do I need to be worried?" She giggled.

"I AM worried. I'll send a message in the group chat later on."

"Okay. I'll be sure to reply, too."

There was a 3-second awkward pause. Both of them laughed to cover the awkwardness.

"Are you preparing for a comeback, Jinyoung-ssi?"

"Yea-ah, wait. It's a secret. I shouldn't have told you that!"

Jisoo laughed aloud, "Jinyoung-ssi, it's too late now."

"Well, how about you?" Jinyoung asked back, teasing.

"Not yet." but she couldn't hold back a giggle. Jinyoung heard that and he joined her, chuckling.

"Did you just straight-up lie to me? But still, I'll be supporting your comeback. Can't wait for your Inkigayo live performance."

"Thank you. I'll wait for your comeback, too."

Jisoo waited for an answer but Jinyoung seemed to talk with someone else. She overheard someone was teasing him even though she couldn't really hear what that person said. There was a sound of door opening and closing before Jinyoung talked again.

"Mianhae, Jisoo-ssi. My members are back and they asked me to go out."

"Ah, okayJinyoung-ssi, annyeong." Jisoo had to hide the slight disappointment in her tone.

"Annyeong, Jisoo-ssi." But neither of them hung up. Realizing how awkward it was, Jisoo prepared to end it, however, Jinyoung talked again.

"And...um..it's nice talking to you." and he hung up, leaving Jisoo who was blushing like mad. She threw herself into her bed, smiling wide to herself. When minutes ago she was crying her heart out, now she was smiling and giggling, feeling giddy about her previous conversation with her co-MCs. Thank God her members were not there, otherwise she would receive constant teasing for being so loud and weird all of the sudden. 

She couldn't believe what just happened. She actually had the longest phone call with a boy since her debut. She was always a private person. Her small, petite figure had kept so many secrets that even her members didn't know. Jisoo chose the things that she wanted to share, and even then she was still a bit insecure about being totally exposed to a person. But to Jinyoung...

Jisoo wasn't stupid. She knew what just happened. The phone call was a start of something. It was something she saw on novels or dramas and right here, right now, she was experiencing it.

Not to forget, she was sobbing and blowing her nose on the phone. Oh God, the embarrassment.... 

But it felt really nice. She was no longer sad, well, maybe a bit, but the feeling was replaced by happiness that came from out of nowhere. 

Thank you, Jinyoung-ah, Jisoo smiled, looking at the ceiling. She realized she couldn't stop smiling so she covered her face with her hands. So this is what it feels like.

~

Damn you, Jinyoung, Jinyoung cursed himself. He should have had a better self-control. 

He.
Just.
Called.
A.
Girl.

And not just a random girl. This was Blackpink's member Kim Jisoo, we were talking about. 

In less than 48 hours he knew her, he could already tell the difference between her tone of voice. Her voice had 'colors' when she talked. It was a bit high-pitched when she was excited, but low and conforming, when she talked with her manager. When she was talking to PD, she had this soft and polite tone. When she talked to Doyoung, her voice would sound like a man instead, loud and clear. To him, however, her voice sounded so gentle, almost shy. 

The Kim Jisoo he talked to on the phone had a different voice, none of the above. It was lifeless and fake, and as much as she tried to hide it, he could tell that she had been crying. 

No, she was not transparent. Jinyoung was just really good at observation. 

Doyoung or other people might not be able to see the difference but he could. When she was in panic or nervous, she had this fidgeting habit: either she played with her hair, or moved around. When she was happy or excited, she would smile; her lips made a heart shape, her eyes created a cute eye smile, and her nose would scrunch. Unlike Jinyoung, Jisoo tend to unconsciously express herself. This girl must be a bad liar, he thought. 

Either way, he could always pretend not to care. And yet, he couldn't. This fact alone had made Jinyoung scared. He once said in an interview that if he truly treasured someone then he wouldn't be able to pretend not to care. The fact that he couldn't leave Jisoo alone in her sadness had made him worried. See the connection?

Whether he'd like to admit it or not, Jisoo had become something much more important than an idol friend.

"Jinyoung," Jaebum knocked his door.

"Hyung, what is it?" 

"Are you ready? Let's go. Jackson made a fuss already about you calling a girl. And I'm hungry."

"Alright, I'm coming."

~

P. Jinyoung (7:30PM):
Everyone, good job today! Let's work harder from now on. And especially thankful for our Doyoung-ie, you nailed it bro.

Kim Doyoung (8:02PM):
Hyung, noona, good job today! Thank you, and thank you for all your hard work! I'm sorry I left earlier today, I had a schedule. 

Jisoo (8:03PM):
Finally, you show up! I was starting to worry about you, Doyoung-ie. ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

Kim Doyoung (8:03PM):
ㅋㅋㅋ Kim Doyoung is here! Anyway, hyung, noona. I want to share something to you. Why does it feel like there was something going on. Like something happened but I don't know what it is.

Jisoo (8:03PM):
ㅋㅋㅋ I don't understand, Doyoung-ah. 

Kim Doyoung (8:04PM):
Ah, I know! Are you guys talking behind my back?

P. Jinyoung (8:04PM):
I don't understand either, ㅋㅋㅋ

Kim Doyoung (8:05PM):
Hm, it's weird. Usually my gut feeling is never wrong.

Jisoo (8:05PM):
Maybe you're just hungry, Doyoung-ie. Go eat something delicious! I really want to eat chicken skewer  ㅠ_ㅠ

Kim Doyoung (8:05PM):
Noona, you make me want to eat chicken, too! 

P. Jinyoung (8:06PM):
Next time, let's eat chicken together. As a good hyung and oppa, I will treat you two.

Kim Doyoung (8:06PM):
Yeay!!!!!!!!!!!! My hyung is the best!!!!!!

Jisoo (8:06PM):
I'll take screenshot of this! It's a promise, Jinyoung-oppa!

----------

This chapter is a bit short compared to the last two chapters but it holds an important key information for future plot. Please bear with my slow development story (although Jinyoung calling Jisoo is considered to be a fast development in their relationship, in my opinion haha). 

To be honest, I didn't stan any Kpop idols before. I listen to some songs that I think are really good like Mamamoo's songs, BTS or GOT7 but I never really care about the individual members, who the most handsome/prettiest, bias this bias that, and whatnot. I just love to listen to good music. I even thought that Blackpink was a bit overrated. But then I stumbled upon some of their videos and I fell in love with Jisoo. Since then, I keep myself up-to-date to her news, interviews, or videos and I found something. She is really an interesting person; goddess-like visual (my friends once told me: there are two types of beauty. One, relative beauty, to some people this person is beautiful but some people might not find that person beautiful. Two, absolute beauty, in which everyone agrees that she is beautiful. Jisoo is definitely the latter), goofy personality, and amazing talent. 

One thing I notice is that she is always smiling. Always so friendly and funny. 

But it is said, the saddest people smile the brightest. And on top of that, we never really see her crying in public. Her members said she cries alone. That speak volume, tbh. 

Who knows what lies beyond her cheerful personality.