Chapter 9

Better Better [Banginho/Minchan]

Jisung decided not to come along to dance practice. Minho didn't question it further. He knew when to leave Jisung alone and this was definitely one of those times, though the younger's secretiveness still bugged him.

Minho went to pick up Chan after getting ready in lightning-speed. He was really looking forward to seeing him again, even though it had technically only been a few hours. He just hoped that today Kangmin would leave Chan alone. Minho's blood still boiled with anger when he thought about the way Kangmin always controlled the older.

Chan had texted him his address and Minho came to a stop in front of the rundown apartment complex. He didn't have to wait long before the older came outside, dressed casually in a gray sweater and black jeans, his hair the usual cute curly mess. Minho had to stop himself from staring. Chan looked effortlessly good.

The older smiled at him after getting into the car. They exchanged sort of shy greetings before Minho took off towards the dance studio. The sky looked like rain, so Minho was glad that he didn't walk today like he usually would. He occasionally sneaked a few side-glances at Chan who was looking out of the window absent-mindedly.

The drive to the dance studio wasn't long and passed with light conversation between the two of them. Chan seemed to be kind of excited about getting to watch practice, which made Minho promise himself to give it all he got today, in order to impress the older.

When they arrived, Minho saw Hyunjin and Felix, the other two members of his team, already warming up. They gave Chan a curious look. "Guys, this is my friend Chan, he's going to watch us practice today, if you don't mind", Minho said. "Channie, these are my friends and teammates Hyunjin and Felix", pointing his friends out to him. They both greeted Chan, though Minho noticed that Hyunjin seemed a little off. He'd ask him about it later.

"Hyunjin's one of my high school friends and Felix here from Australia to study abroad last year", Minho filled Chan in. The older's eyes lit up. "Really? I'm from Australia, too!" he exclaimed. Felix' eyes widened and from that point onwards it turned into a full-blown English conversation that Minho didn't even try to understand.

Instead, he decided to take Hyunjin aside, who hadn't said a word since greeting Chan. "Are you alright?" he questioned. The younger nodded, not looking Minho in the eyes, though. He'd known Hyunjin almost as long as he'd known Jisung, so it didn't take very much for him to know that he was lying.

"What's wrong. First Jisung's down and now you...too...wait a minute." Realization dawned on him. "You're the guy who made Jisung sad, aren't you?" he questioned. Hyunjin looked at him with a guilty expression. "I didn't mean to...", he muttered. Minho crossed his arms over his chest and raised an expectant eyebrow.

"You better explain. If you weren't you, I would have already punched you in the face about twenty seconds ago!" Hyunjin looked down at his feet, taking a few seconds to answer. Minho couldn't imagine what on earth could have happened between the two of them, that caused both of them to be like this. Usually, if they had a fight, they'd at least talk about it to Minho.

There had to be more...

"Yesterday, at the party, there was this seven minutes in heaven game going on upstairs...Jisung and I had ours together", Hyunjin started. Minho raised his other eyebrow as well, silently urging the younger to go on. "We...well, we kinda made out and Jisung...kind of told me that he was in love with me...", Hyunjin finally admitted.

Minho's eyes widened at the revelation. He sure hadn't expected that! Jisung? In love with Hyunjin? "And you rejected him?" he questioned. Hyunjin shook his head. "Not exactly...I panicked, I was confused. I didn't want to make things awkward between us, so I just said that I was sorry and...", he trailed off. "I bolted..."

A minute-long silence followed, in which Minho tried to process the information he had just gathered. Then he looked at Hyunjin again. "So, Jisung confesses to you and you run away...talk about not wanting to make things awkward", he pointed out. The younger deflated like a balloon. "I know it was dumb."

"He went home all sad this morning, so you better make it up to him! If you don't return his feelings, at least let him down gently...", Minho advised him, giving him a pointed look. Hyunjin looked like he was about to say something, but Felix walked over to them with Chan in tow, cutting their conversation short.

"Where did you hide him for so long? We're literally from the same city", the youngest in the room exclaimed happily. Chan chuckled in amusement at Felix' excitement. "Well, now you've met him", Minho said, patting Felix' shoulder, before turning to Chan. "You never mentioned being Australian", he added in mock-accusation. The older grinned at him. "You never asked", he .

~

Dance practice began shortly after and Chan sat on a couch that stood in the far back of the room just watching the three of them practice their routine for the showcase. Or rather, he watched Minho. Even if he tried, he couldn't take his eyes off him. His movements looked so effortless and graceful, Chan could tell that he'd been doing this all his life.

He knew that he was staring, and he knew that if Minho looked at him through the mirror, he'd catch him doing so. But he couldn't bring himself to care or look away. It was like Minho had him under a spell, as cliché as it might sound.

The trio decided to take a break after about two hours and Chan was grateful as he needed one as well. Minho walked over to where Chan sat, getting a towel out of his bag and putting it around his neck before grabbing a water bottle and taking a few generous sips from it.

"You like what you see so far?" he asked Chan, who looked at him like a deer in the headlights. Had he really been caught? "Huh?" he asked. Minho chuckled. "The dance. How do you like it?" he rephrased his question. The older let out the breath he didn't realize he'd been holding. It was just about the dance.

"Oh, the dance, yeah...it's amazing. Did you choreograph it on your own?" he asked. Minho grinned and nodded, looking proud. "It's really good", Chan assured him. "You'll do really well at the showcase." The dancer looked like he got an idea as he put his water bottle down.

"Why don't you come watch us tomorrow?" he suggested. Chan wanted to, he really did. But he had so much school work to do, since he'd decided to hang out with Minho today instead of doing that. "I don't know if I can...but I'll try to make it. When is it?" Chan asked.

"It's 6pm", Minho replied. Chan figured that he might be able to make it, if he crammed in enough study time before that. He gave Minho a smile. "I'll try my best to be there...", he said. That seemed enough for the younger. "Perfect. If you get bored watching us, just tell me and I'll take you home or something", he told Chan. "Are you kidding? I could watch you guys all day!"

He could watch Minho all day. 

"Besides, you promised me dinner", he reminded the younger who just grinnned. "Right, I did." 

~

Hyunjin was the first one out the door when practice ended a while later. According to Minho, he had to sort out something with a friend. Felix got picked up by his boyfriend, Changbin, who Minho said was a music major, which made Chan only the slightest bit envious.

"So, your friend who threw the party yesterday. Does he live in that big place all alone?" Chan questioned when they were on the way to Minho's place where he would be getting the dinner he was promised. It had started raining pretty heavily since this morning. The dancer shook his head at Chan's question. "Nah, he has housemates. But they're barely ever there", he explained.

"I often visit him along with Hyunjin. None of us likes being alone, so we try to spend as much time together as college allows us", he added. Chan nodded slowly. He couldn't really relate, since he didn't have any friends. "Why don't you move in together? You live alone, don't you?" he asked.

"We can't move in together. Jisung's parents pay for his place in that house and they're very stubborn about him staying there. They're also not particularly fond of me", Minho explained. The older furrowed his brows in question, which Minho couldn't see since he was focusing on the road. "Why not? You're great."

The dancer laughed at the statement. "Thank you, Channie, you flatter me", he replied, giving the older a short, playful side-look. Chan felt himself blush at his own forwardness. 'You're great?' Way to go, idiot. He looked at Minho again, noticing how his features had gotten more serious before he spoke up again:

"When I turned 18 and just got my license, I took Jisung to school and we got into an accident. It wasn't my fault, the other guy ran a red light, but Jisung got hurt. Not very badly, just a broken leg, but it was enough for his parents to never forgive me. I haven't either...that's why I'm extremely protective of him. I don't ever want him to get hurt again, physically or emotionally..."

Chan couldn't deny that he was a little surprised at the story. "You shouldn't beat yourself up over it. If the accident wasn't your fault and Jisung is fine...then you should let go of the guilt", he advised Minho, hoping that he wasn't overstepping. The younger smiled faintly. "I know...and I might, eventually. But it's hard."

The rest of the ride passed rather quietly, with soft music playing on the radio, as the rain came down in buckets. Chan thought about what Minho had told him. He found it endearing how much he cared about his friend.

At this point, he knew that he was falling for Minho, if he hadn't already. He just didn't know if his brain lacked the strength or the willpower to stop him.

 

 

A/N: I've decided to go for some side Hyunsung because the world needs more of this ship...