Chapter 11

Better Better [Banginho/Minchan]

I'm sorry for the lack of updates recently! I wasn't really feeling this fic and I've been focusing on the one shot series. But, here I am with a new update! It's not the best one, but I hope you'll like it anyway...

By the time Chan and Minho reached the younger’s apartment, the rain had become almost torrential. Chan shed his sweater as soon as he was inside the building, thankfully wearing a somewhat dry, black t-shirt underneath. Unfortunately, he missed Minho’s subtle glance at his exposed arms.

He told Chan to make himself at home, right after they’d both slipped off their shoes, then excused himself to his room to get a set of fresh clothes. The older looked around in the spacious apartment. The living room had a soft-looking couch and an armchair standing across from a big flat-screen TV. A wooden coffee table stood in the middle.

The kitchen was on the opposite side of the hallway, across from the living room. It was rather small, but really cozy. He didn’t want to invade Minho’s privacy by looking into any other rooms, so he just sat down in the living room – the couch was, indeed, very soft – and waited for his return.

Chan noticed how tidy the place was. He always tried to keep his own place as clean as possible, but with how tired he always was after a long day of studying and a boyfriend who made more of a mess than he could clean up he wasn’t really doing the best job.

Minho came back a short while later with a towel wrapped around his neck, tossing another one over to Chan. The older took it gratefully, since his hair had suffered the most from the rain.

“I’ll get dinner started right now, if you want”, he offered. Chan grinned and nodded. “That would be awesome”, he answered. Minho gave him a little smile before heading to the kitchen. The older sat there for a while, twiddling his thumbs. He felt useless, just hanging around here and letting Minho do all the work, so he got up after about five minutes and joined him.

“Do you need help with anything?” Chan questioned. “Sure, you could...cut the vegetables?” Minho replied. The older chuckled and saluted jokingly, before getting to work.

~

They cooked and ate together – Minho’s cooking skills were outstanding, by the way – before settling down on the younger’s couch talking about stuff.

“You know, it fit wasn’t for you I’d be at my boyfriend’s parents place right now, so thanks”, Chan suddenly said. Minho tilted his head in confusion. “Do they not like you?” he asked.

“Quite the opposite. They adore me...they’re trying to ‘subtly’ push us into getting married...it’s really uncomfortable most of the time”, Chan said. “Getting married is so not on my list right now”, he added. “Good”, Minho said before he could stop himself. The older gave him a questioning look.

“I-I mean...you’re still young and in the middle of your studies. Getting married really doesn’t seem like the best idea...”, Minho quickly explained himself. Chan chuckled. “Right...”

“What are your parents like?” the older switched subjects. Minho’s face lit up. “They’re the most amazing people I know. My Dad is a painter and my Mom is a dancer like me. She taught me all the basics when I was young and she always helped me whenever I struggled with something. Then again, living in an artist family can be kind of hard sometimes. But it’s still great...”, Minho said. “I’m sorry, I’m rambling...”, he added when he noticed how carried away he’d gotten. Chan just sat there, watching the other talk with a fond expression on his face. He could only imagine what it must be like to constantly be surrounded by other artists.

“That’s okay, I asked, after all...”, he told Minho. “What about your parents, though, Channie?” The older made a face. “My parents are both teachers...my father teaches math and physics...and my mother teaches economics and also math. They weren’t too happy when they realized that my math skills were only average. I tried to tell them that I want to make music and, uh...they...they laughed at me...”

Minho’s eyes widened in surprise. “Channie, that’s awful”, he said, putting his hand on top of the older’s, who just shrugged. “Well, it’s not like they don’t have a point”, Chan replied. “They told me that business is a safer way to not end up homeless. Kangmin agrees...”, he explained.

“Well, that’s bull! I don’t know what kind of music you make, but I’m sure you’re talented. Your parents and your boyfriend should encourage you instead of bringing you down...”, Minho argued.

“I know...but I mean I can’t just go behind their back with this...”, Chan told him. Minho nodded. “I understand that...but in the end your life is your own. Nobody can tell you what to do; not your parents, not Kangmin, not me...”

Chan thought about it. He knew that Minho was right, just like had been back when they first met...

“Anyway...”, Minho spoke up again after a short while of silence. “I have pudding in the fridge. You want some?” he asked, changing the subject. Chan laughed at the randomness of the question as he checked the time on his phone. “I don’t know. I should probably get home soon. It’s getting pretty late...”, he said.

Minho looked in the direction of the living room window. The weather was still just as bad as two hours ago. “How are you getting home?” he asked. “I’m walking”, Chan replied. Minho gave him an exasperated look. “In this weather? You’ll get sick! Let me drive you”, he offered. Chan wanted to tell him that he was fine and that he shouldn’t go out of his way for him, but the look of Minho’s face, the genuine worry that he might really get sick, made him give in and nod in agreement.

 

Minho smiled his beautiful smile again as he got up from the couch. “Great, then let’s go after eating pudding!” he said cheerfully. Chan chuckled fondly. “Alright. Let’s go after eating pudding...”, he agreed.