Chapter 2

Better Better [Banginho/Minchan]

Chan didn’t end up getting much studying done after he met Minho. He found the blonde dancer much more interesting. They had a hushed conversation in the library getting to know each other a little better. Chan learned that Minho was also a junior. He was 20 years old, making him younger than Chan by a year. He also found out that Minho had picked up dancing when he was only three years old and that the only thing he loved more than dancing was cats.

Everything about Minho was just so goddamn endearing. Chan found himself wanting to listen to him go on and on forever about the cats he had to leave at his parents’ house or how he and his friends had formed a dance crew in high school, or literally anything he liked to talk about. His mind gave him an occasional reminder that he could get caught up with this guy, which would be wrong, since he had a boyfriend!

Minho asked questions about Chan’s life as well. He told him that he’d been dating the same guy for six years and that he and his parents had talked him into studying business and economics. He told Minho about how he loved to make music and how he had dreamed of becoming a big producer and about how he now had to keep this dream kind of a secret because everyone looked down on it.

“You should do it. It’s not too late”, Minho encouraged him. Chan waved off, softly shaking his head. “Look, I know I don’t know you. And I’m sorry if I’m overstepping, but I think that you shouldn’t let others tell you what to do with your future. It’s your life and you deserve to be happy”, Minho told him seriously.

“Then again, I’m one to talk, right? I have my parents’ full support. But if you have a passion you can’t listen to what anyone else has to say. As long as you’re not hurting anybody, you should follow your dreams. Make them reality. It feels good, trust me.”

Chan smiled. He’d never seen it from that point of view. “I’ll think about it...”, he mumbled. That seemed to be enough for Minho for now. Chan reached into his pocket to check his phone. It was almost 7pm. “Do you want to get some coffee? I’ve been here since 9am and I’m craving some caffeine”, he asked Minho, putting his phone back into his pocket.

“I’d kill for a latte”, the younger replied with a grin. Chan laughed and got up. Together, they put their books back into their respective shelves before making their way out of the library. On the way out, they talked about random things like the music they liked – their taste was pretty similar, which delighted Chan -, their favorite movies and books; anything.

It was so easy to talk to Minho. For once in his life he didn’t feel like he was being judged for his interests. Finally, someone even shared some of those interests. He definitely wanted to make this friendship work.

“Chan!” a low voice suddenly called out, causing him to tense up. He looked into the direction the voice had come from. His boyfriend; tall and handsome with only slightly too greasy black hair approached them. 

“Hey, Kangmin...”, Chan greeted him. “Come on, I’m taking you out for dinner”, Kangmin said, taking the other’s hand, not even sparing Minho a glance, which Chan found rude, however chose not to comment on it, knowing that the slightly older male wouldn’t really care.

“Um, what? You didn’t say anything about dinner...”, Chan trailed off. Kangmin shrugged. “I just decided that we should go. It’s been a while since we went out, don’t you think?” he asked. Chan didn’t answer, instead just shooting Minho a sort of helpless look. The blonde looked shocked by the older's boyfriend's forceful behavior.

“What is it? Are your...friends more important to you than I am?” Kangmin questioned accusingly, letting go of Chan’s hand and finally looking at Minho – only to glare at him. Chan waved his hands around frantically. “Of course not, I was just surprised. You always just plan things without telling me...”, he mumbled the last part, but Kangmin heard him. And so did Minho.

“I’m trying to be a good boyfriend here...you should be grateful instead of talking to me like this in front of others”, Kangmin stated. Chan looked down at his shoes. “I’m sorry...”

Minho finally spoke up: “We could have coffee another time?” he offered, ignoring Kangmin’s scoff. Chan nodded without looking at him. He felt embarrassed about the way his boyfriend spoke to him in front of Minho. He didn’t want to look weak to him.

“I’m sorry about the sudden change of plans”, he apologized to the younger. “That’s okay...um...have fun on your date, I guess...”, Minho said, reaching out to touch Chan’s upper arm and give it an encouraging squeeze. “I’ll see you around”, he added before taking off. He turned around one more time to give Chan another quick look and a half smile before kept on walking.

The older looked after him for a few more seconds before Kangmin took Chan’s hand again and began to drag him away. “Who the hell was that?” he questioned. Chan wanted to free his hand, but Kangmin’s grip only tightened around it. “A new friend. I just met him at the library and we talked a little”, he explained to the taller male.

“Ah...”, was his boyfriend’s only response. “Anyway, I’d appreciate it if you’d stop acting like this in public. If I want to take you out for dinner, you should just come along instead of causing a scene”, Kangmin stated sternly. Chan was still trying to subtly break free from the older, because his hand was starting to get clammy and on top of that, Kangmin’s grip was really tight.

“I wasn’t-”, Chan tried to argue. “Whatever, just don’t do it again!” Kangmin interrupted him. He had by no means tried to cause a scene. His boyfriend had simply caught him off guard by suddenly appearing at the library, practically kidnapping him and demanding to go out with him. 

“But-” Kangmin finally let go of his hand, only to face him. Chan took an instinctive step back when he saw how pissed he looked. “You know what, you’re annoying today! I was just trying to do something nice for you and you don’t even appreciate it. I’m not in the mood to eat with you anymore.”

Chan felt his chest clench together painfully. That always happened when Kangmin decided to talk to him like he was a disobedient child or when he called him annoying or other equally as hurtful things. No matter how much he tried to explain himself in those kinds of situations, Kangmin would have none of it.

“I’m sorry...”, he apologized. His boyfriend just gave him a cold look before turning around and walking off. “Where are you going?” Chan questioned, trying to keep up with him. “I’m going to have dinner.”

“Wait, I’m coming with you...I’m really sorry, Kangmin. It won’t happen again, I promise...”, Chan called after him. This time, the older seemed to somewhat accept his apology. His steps slowed down, allowing Chan to catch up with him.

They didn’t talk much more on the way and Chan found himself thinking about Minho again. He just hoped that this little incident hadn’t scared him off. Chan had really enjoyed talking to the younger. He’d seemed so...free. Like he didn’t care what anyone thought about him. Unfortunately, Chan didn’t have many friends (or none, really) because most of them were too intimidated by Kangmin and his antics to stick around very long.

He just hoped that Minho would be different.

 

Yay, here's chapter two for you guys! I really hope I can keep this fic up as many of my other works get stuck in the sand due to lack of inspiration. I have it all planned out and I hope the writing will go just as smoothly as the planning.