Chapter 4

Better Better [Banginho/Minchan]

Today was Saturday and Chan didn't have any classes, so he was planning to spend his entire day studying at the library. He also lowkey hoped to run into Minho again. Unfortunately, he hadn't seen him all week and he was still a little bit worried that he might not want to have anything to do with him anymore after he saw Kangmin in action last time.

Chan sat down at his usual table, trying to focus on his studies, but he caught himself looking around, hoping to see Minho just pop up somewhere from between the shelves. He needed the younger's positive energy and the refreshing conversations with him after the morning he had.

He was just about to give up hope when he saw a familiar mop of blonde hair as Minho walked through the door, causing Chan's face to lighten up instantly. The younger locked eyes with him, his lips stretching into a smile as he approached the table Chan sat at.

He tried to ignore how his heartbeat picked up the pace.

~

Minho hadn't expected to see Chan today, but he was more than delighted about it, especially when Chan's face lit up as if the sun had just risen all over again. However, Minho didn't miss the other's slightly reddened eyes; it was almost as if he'd been crying. Something had to be wrong. The protectiveness in Minho spoke up before he could stop himself.

"Hey, did something happen?" Chan's smile faltered. Without it, he looked more exhausted than he'd first let on. "It's nothing. I'm just...really stressed", he answered, avoiding Minho's eyes. The younger was dying to ask if it had something to do with his stupid boyfriend, but he chose to refrain from doing so. He didn't want to come across as too forward.

This was only the second time he'd spoken to Chan and he didn't want to ruin things with him. So, instead of asking more personal questions, he gently placed his hand on top of Chan's, making him look up again. "We could get that cup of coffee now, what do you say?" he offered.

Chan smiled returned a little and nodded, before proceeding to pack up his stuff. They began making their way to the campus café, luckily without being interrupted this time. On the way, Minho tried to cheer Chan up a little bit. He didn't like how quiet he was compared to last time. He managed to get a few smiles out of him, but that was it.

"Are you sure you don't want to tell me what happened?" Minho asked again, once they'd reached the café and placed their orders. Chan sighed. He didn't seem annoyed with Minho, though, which was a relief for the younger.

"It's just my boyfriend and I...we just had a misunderstanding this morning and, it was ridiculous, but it just upset me...", he finally admitted. Minho frowned. So, it really did have something to do with Kangmin. He grew to hate that guy more and more by the second.

The barista called their names and they went to fetch their coffee before sitting down at a table near the window. "If it upset you it's probably not ridiculous", Minho answered after taking the first sip of his coffee. He felt the caffeine energize him a little more, almost immediately.

"How long have you two been together again?" he questioned. "Six years..." "Hm, looks like it's time for a change", Minho said. He made it, so the words sounded joking, but he was more serious about it than he was willing to admit. Chan chuckled a little bit, so it was worth it nonetheless.

"Well, we've had our ups and downs...but recently...", he trailed off, looking out of the window absent-mindedly. Minho felt like it was best not to press him any further. "Sorry for being such a downer today", Chan suddenly apologized. Minho waved off. "Don't be sorry! Everybody has a bad day once in a while." And with a douchebag boyfriend like yours, I understand why your mood might be a little down.

"I guess...but enough about me...what have you been up to all week?" the older questioned. Minho shrugged. "Mainly dance practice. My friends and I have a showcase coming up next weekend, so we're spending lots of time at the practice room", he replied. Chan perked up. "A showcase? That sounds really cool", he said, and Minho couldn't help but smile at his excitement.

"It is...dancing is my life, so I'm happy every time I get to show it to others", the blonde explained. Chan smiled. "You know...I realized that I never got your number...", Minho added, thinking back to their last conversation about dance. The older chuckled and pulled out his phone. "Very smooth", he commented, sliding his phone across the table for Minho to put his number in.

Once he'd finished doing so he clicked the call button before hanging up again and handing the phone back to Chan. He fished his own phone out of his pocket, quickly saving Chan's number, secretly adding a little heart after his name.

"Great, now you can text me whenever you miss me, instead of waiting for another coincidence", Minho stated with a wink, not missing the way Chan's cheeks turned a soft pink at his words. "Um...I-I mean...", the older trailed off.

Minho giggled in delight. Flustered Chan was definitely a sight worth seeing. "I'm playing, Channie", he stated, causing the other to flush even deeper at the nickname. Minho was glad to see that he seemed to have at least some kind of effect on Chan.

They finished their coffee before Minho had to head to the dance studio. He offered Chan to come along to watch, but the older declined (though, reluctantly) since he still had a project to finish. The dancer didn't really want to part ways with Chan already, but the others were waiting for him and at least he had his number now.

He decided to be bold today and bid his goodbyes to Chan with a hug. "Don't forget to text me. Get enough rest. I'll do a coffee run for you if your project stresses you out too much", he told him. Chan nodded, muttering a small "thanks", before taking off with a shy wave.

Minho stared after him for a while, realizing that he really didn't want him to go back to where his boyfriend was. He'd only spoken to Chan twice, but he was already head over heels for him.

Which meant that he was royally screwed...