Chapter 8

Better Better [Banginho/Minchan]

“I can’t believe you ran off to get drunk with this Minho guy!” Kangmin currently yelled at Chan. They had reached their apartment and Chan was sitting on their bed, feeling dizzy. His mouth was dry, and he would kill for a glass of water right now. But Kangmin wasn’t done ranting yet. His yelling gave Chan a huge headache, but the older wouldn’t even let him speak long enough to point that out.

“I don’t know what the hell is wrong with you lately! Ever since you met this guy, you’ve been acting up!” There it was again. Kangmin once again just treated Chan like he was a disobedient teenager. “If I didn’t know any better I’d say that you’re into him!” The younger's eyes widened at the accusation.

“N-no, of course n-” “Good, because if it turns out that you’re cheating on me with that guy – or any guy for that matter – I’ll kill you!” Kangmin growled. Chan may be drunk, but he didn’t fail to catch the dangerous glint in his boyfriend’s angry eyes. It was like he meant it.

“I’m not into him...”, Chan muttered. “I’m sorry for getting so drunk...”, he apologized. Kangmin stood up straight. “I’ll sleep at a friends’ place tonight. I can’t stand you right now...” With that the older turned around and stormed out of the apartment, slamming the front door shut behind himself.

Chan lay down sideways on the bed, once again feeling tears welling up in his eyes. A million questions popped up in his head. Why was he even still with Kangmin? Was it because he was familiar with him; because they’d been together for so long? Did he even still love him? He felt like at least a part of him did.

And what about Minho?

He thought about their kiss. It had been like no other kiss Chan had ever experienced. He found himself comparing Minho’s soft, gentle lips to Kangmin’s rough and sometimes even forceful ones. Minho made sure that he was alright with it while Kangmin only chased after his own pleasure.

Chan let out an involuntary sob. His feelings were in a turmoil. On one hand, despite everything, he still had some kind of love left for Kangmin. He’d known him all his life and a bad phase in their relationship couldn’t kill it that easily, right? On the other hand, he felt so good when he was with Minho. He could tell him anything without the fear of him getting mad or him making Chan feel bad about himself.

He didn’t know what to do. His head still spun, and his mouth was still so dry, but he was just downright tired. Eventually, he fell asleep still fully dressed and occasionally sniffling, with his confused thoughts following him into his dreams.

~

Jisung didn’t really want to open up to Minho when they got to his place. All the older was able to figure out was that it seemed to be about a guy. Jisung withheld any further information about said guy or their relationship status, though. Usually, Minho would be upset that his best friend was keeping secrets from him, but he just looked so sad, sitting on the couch, hugging his knees to his chest, that he couldn’t bring himself to press it further.

“Did you get to see that guy you like?” Jisung asked him after a long silence in which Minho tried to figure out how to deal with his friend’s pain. “I did...”, he replied. Jisung looked at him, like that wasn’t the answer he wanted. Minho smiled faintly at the memory of their kiss. Then he remembered the way Kangmin had dragged Chan away and the smile faded again.

“I kissed him today. I really like him a lot...but there’s a problem...”, Minho told his best friend. Jisung tilted his head in question. “He kind of has a boyfriend”, he admitted. The younger’s eyes widened. “You’re kidding!” Jisung exclaimed. As much as Minho liked finally being able to distract him from whatever had upset him, he wasn’t sure if he wanted to go too much into detail.

“Minho...this is dangerous. If the dude has a boyfriend you should lay off”, Jisung advised him. Minho looked at his own knees. “I know...I know, I should just let it go. But I can’t...he’s incredible. And his boyfriend is a total douchebag. I’ve been holding back but tonight I just couldn’t resist...”, he said. “Man, you’re in love”, his younger friend stated.

“I think I really am...”

~

The two of them spent the rest of the night watching TV together and talking about the most random things before finally falling asleep. Jisung seemed a little less sad than before and Minho intended to make the rest of his sadness go away by cuddling his best friend in his sleep.

He woke up first the next morning. It was only 8am, meaning he still had a good two hours before he had to head to practice. He got out of bed carefully, making sure that Jisung was properly covered by the blanket and went to the kitchen to make himself some coffee.

When he was finished he took his mug and sat down on the couch, looking at his phone. He contemplated whether to text Chan. In the end, he decided that he should. Just to check on him...

 

To: Channie♡
From: Minho

Good morning! I’m sorry about last night... I hope you’re okay?

 

His finger hovered over the send button for a while, unsure if he should really do it. What if for some reason Chan didn’t want to hear from him? “Don’t be a ...”, he quietly scolded himself before sending the message.

~

Chan woke up to the vibrations of his phone. He sat up and rubbed the sleep out of his eyes. Kangmin didn’t seem to have come back after storming out of the apartment the previous night. Chan picked his phone up, secretly hoping that the person who texted him wasn’t his boyfriend.

His face lit up when he saw that it had been Minho who texted him. He felt warm inside, knowing that he worried about him enough to text him first thing in the morning. The question was how to reply? He could hardly tell him that he actually wasn’t all that okay, considering Kangmin had yelled at him and even threatened him.

 

To: Min♡
From: Chan

I’m alright. Don’t worry about me~

 

He didn’t want Minho to feel guilty about Kangmin’s behavior or the kiss for that matter. The younger had initiated it, but Chan had wanted it just as much as he did. Before he got another reply from Minho, his phone lit up with a call – this time it really was Kangmin. Chan picked up reluctantly, hoping that his boyfriend wasn’t as mad as he had been last night.

“I hope you’ve slept it off”, Kangmin said right away without any word of greeting. “We’re visiting my parents today. Pack a bag for us. I’ll come pick you up in an hour”, he continued. Chan frowned. The older had once again just made plans for him without even giving him a heads up, even though, he knew how much his boyfriend disliked it. 

“I can’t. I have school work to do, Kangmin”, he argued. The older huffed. “You’re gonna spend your day at the library with that guy again, am I right?” he asked in exasperation. Chan raised one of his eyebrows. He had planned on studying at home today, but something in Kangmin’s tone made him want to lie and say yes. He decided he was feeling petty today.

“Yes, in fact. He needs help with something business-related”, he lied. Kangmin huffed again. “Fine, since this guy seems to be more important to you that your boyfriend...I guess I have to go by myself. I'll just have to get used to you being distant with me...”

Chan began to feel guilty at the older’s words. He was about ready to cave again, when he got a notification. He put Kangmin on speaker and checked his new text. It was from Minho, as expected.

 

To: Chan
From: Min♡

Would you by any chance like to hang out at my place today? I have my last practice today and I tend to get nervous before showcases, so I could use some company. I’ll even cook dinner for you~

 

Chan smiled at the message. Kangmin cleared his throat on the other side of the line. The younger’s message somehow drowned out the guilt he’d just felt. “Sorry, babe. Be careful when you’re driving. Yesterday’s weather forecast said something about heavy rain”, he told his boyfriend before hanging up.

He felt like he’d just gotten off a roller coaster. His heart was racing like crazy. He’d never hung up on Kangmin before, not after denying him what he wanted. It took him a few seconds to calm down.

 

To: Min♡
From: Chan

Sure, I’d love that. Can I watch you practice? That’s what I gave you my number for in the first place :P

To: Chan
From: Min♡

Yeah, if you want! 
Do you want me to come pick you up?

To: Min♡
From: Chan

That would be great

To: Chan 
From: Min♡

I’ll see you in about half an hour, then

 

Chan quickly got out of bed to take a shower and get ready. He couldn’t shake the giddy feeling throughout his whole routine. Even though, he was a bit scared of what Kangmin might say when he returned from his parents’ he was looking forward to spending more time with Minho. If he was honest, he couldn’t wait to see him dance, since he seemed to be very good at it, considering he was a dance major.

He wasn’t going to let anybody ruin his day.