Chapter 16

Better Better [Banginho/Minchan]

Minho had always deemed the guest room in his apartment pretty redundant, since he and his friends would usually just squeeze into his large bed or spread some blankets on the living room floor. Now, he was grateful to have a spare room, because he would definitely not let Chan sleep on the couch!

He was neither mad nor surprised when Chan mostly kept to himself over the first few days after his move. He figured that the older needed some time to think and to process everything that had went down between him and Kangmin. Minho didn’t know firsthand, but he figured that it must be hard for Chan, ending a six-year relationship that – according to him – hadn’t always been this bad.

Minho’s nose was healing pretty quickly. The only thing that remained was the regret to not have landed a better punch in Kangmin’s stupid face. He was boiling with anger when he thought back to the way Kangmin had grabbed onto Chan’s arm with that almost crazy expression on his face. The guy really thought that he owned Chan or something. Minho just couldn’t understand how someone could treat another person like this, especially if they were as sweet and amazing as Bang Chan.

~

“So, when are you going to tell Chan that you’re totally head over heels for him?” Jisung asked casually. Minho was currently hanging out at his best friends’ place, enjoying the fact that neither of them had any classes today. He was met with a smirk when he turned to look at Jisung with an exasperated expression.

“Excuse me?” he questioned. “Please, don’t act all innocent. You two kissed before, didn’t you? You got into a fight over him. And now that his boyfriend’s out of the picture...”, Jisung trailed off. “What, you suggest I immediately throw myself at him? He moved in two weeks ago and he’s been in his room most of the time”, Minho pointed out. “Besides, I didn't get into a fight over him! I just punched that in the face. Which was well deserved!”

He was worried about Chan, but he had decided to give him the space he needed right now. He knew that the older would talk to him when he was ready. He just hoped that he would be okay after the whole Kangmin thing.

“Okay, fine...but once he gets over that prick you better make a move. It’s time you get the happiness you deserve, and this guy clearly makes you happy”, Jisung said. Minho raised his eyebrow at him. “Damn, ever since you and Hyunjin started dating you’ve become a real sap”, he teased. Jisung threw a pillow at him, laughing quietly.

“I’ve always been a sap”, he corrected his best friend. Minho couldn’t say he disagreed.

~

After class, Chan headed back to Minho’s apartment and straight to his new room. He hadn’t seen much of the younger over the past few days and he felt bad about it. Minho was generously letting him stay at his place and he thanked him by distancing himself and drowning in self-pity.

He’d spent most of these past two weeks asking himself where things went wrong between him and Kangmin. Was it his fault? Or Kangmin’s? Maybe they were both at fault...

A more pressing question on Chan’s mind was when exactly he had fallen out of love with Kangmin. At some point, the love he’d once felt for his boyfriend had turned into just depending on him because he was so used to them being a couple. They had known each other all their lives. Everyone knew that they’d eventually end up together and maybe that was why Chan had such a hard time ending the relationship...because everyone back home expected them to get married one day.

He didn’t even want to think about what his parents were going to say.

Chan sighed and proceeded to change into more comfortable clothes. His thoughts wandered away from Kangmin and to Minho. He’d been so stunned right from the beginning. Minho had encouraged him to stop listening to everybody else’s wishes and just do what he loved. He’d cared for him when he was drunk, and he’d let him move in here.

Somehow, Minho was always there when Chan needed him. And he liked it. Minho appreciated him, and he never once made him feel like a -up or a disappointment. He didn’t even give him for mostly spending time in his room. Chan could just be himself around the younger and that felt incredibly liberating.

He figured he should stop thinking about Kangmin because the guy had been nothing but toxic to him. The love he once felt for him had faded and it was time to move on. He took a deep breath and decided to check if Minho was home yet.

The younger came home just as Chan came out of his room. He stopped in his tracks, looking back at the older. “Hey, you alright?” he questioned while taking off his shoes. Chan smiled faintly. “I think so”, he replied. The two of them headed for the living room, getting comfortable on the couch. 

“You know, I think you were right when you said that it was time for a change.”