Seulgi's Scrutiny

It's Going to be You Always

An awkward silence fell after Lisa informed Seulgi that Jisoo and Jennie are engaged. Jennie suddenly felt bad once again. She shot Jisoo an apologetic look but Jisoo immediately turned to her best friend who is glaring at her. “You’re engaged.” Seulgi said accusingly.

                “I was about to tell you but I was distracted by your story earlier!” Jisoo countered.

                “You didn’t even tell me you’re seeing anyone! I thought you’re still tired from your previous relationship.” Seulgi shouted. Jennie knew this is going to be the start of a shouting match. Interestingly, Jisoo isn’t bothered that people are starting to look at them. She huffs and pouts her lips. “I wasn’t seeing anyone, you stupid bear! This is an arranged marriage!” Jisoo shouted in an equally tenacious tone. Seulgi was taken aback. Jennie and Lisa looked at each other trying to figure out what will happen next. Jennie took a sip from her coffee cup to hide the tiniest bit of embarrassment she’s feeling from this situation. “Arranged marriage? That only happens to acknowledged heiresses.” Seulgi started, fingers on her chin as if thinking deeply. “You’re neither an heiress, nor acknowledged.” The monolid girl finished. Jennie almost spat the coffee she was drinking. Is this girl serious? She just took a jab at Jisoo’s identity? Jennie readies herself to give Seulgi an earful but she heard Jisoo made a laughing noise – the one that is commonly seen in anime. “Tsk tsk, Kang Seulgi. You belittle my family too much. I am acknowledged whenever it is necessary.”

                “Pft. Still, you are in an arranged marriage. What a way to suffer for your dad’s mistakes.” Seulgi retorted. Jisoo and her best friend laughed. What a twisted sense of humor. Jennie thought. She looked at Lisa once again, trying to figure out how to get out of this conversation. As if understanding her, Lisa beamed and said, “so where are you guys going?”

                “We are actually buying groceries. We plan to have barbecue tonight as a celebration. Jisoo and I finished programming the first part of our new game.” Seulgi explained. “Oh you’re welcome to come along. It’s in Jisoo’s apartment. I’d like to get to know the fiancée.” She added while looking at Jennie.

                “We’d love to! Right, Jen?” Lisa looked at her pleadingly. “It’ll be an honor for me to see Kim Jisoo at work!”

                “You still haven’t explained why you know Jisoo.” Jennie said. She eyed Jisoo to find a trace of being uncomfortable with the situation. This will be the sign for Jennie to decline Seulgi’s offer. “Remember that action camera that was launched recently? The one that has a feature that can print captured photos instantly? That work of genius? That was Jisoo’s design!” Lisa explained. Jisoo laughed, obviously pleased at the compliment. Jennie took note of how her fiancee’s lips stretched into a warm smile, eyes twinkling.

                “Please, we’d love to have you with us in this barbecue. I’d love to show you some of our work. Seulgi and I love video games so we are starting our own.” Jisoo said, then turned to Jennie. “You might as well check out the apartment. I hope you’ll find it to your liking.” Jennie just nodded. She silently reprimanded herself for being in some sort of trance after seeing Jisoo smile. You are better than this, Jennie Kim. She thought. The group decided to walk together towards Jennie’s car to go to Jisoo’s apartment.

                Jennie sighed. She thinks it’s time to admit to herself that she finds her fiancée attractive. Objectively, of course. Kim Jisoo is beautiful and maybe Jennie is intrigued. Yes, that’s it. Intrigued. That’s all. Jisoo is someone who prefers to be at the back, she doesn’t like attention. It’s only natural that someone will be intrigued by her. Jennie repeats that to herself like a mantra. She does not want to welcome the thought that maybe she’s starting to have a crush on her fiancée.

                They reached Jisoo’s apartment in less than fifteen minutes. In those minutes inside the car, her best friend was able to make any trace of awkwardness between them disappear and is having animated discussions and arguments with Jisoo and Seulgi. It felt like they have been friends for a long time. Jennie also learned Jisoo likes to create nicknames for people and she loves to tease. She secretly smiled at Jisoo’s antics.

                “So aside from barbecue, what are we having?” Seulgi asked. Jisoo deactivated her door’s lock through her fingerprints and sighed. “I want chicken skewers!” she said.

                “We bought chicken for that, you relax.” Seulgi retorted and handed the heavy bags of grocery to Jennie. “Carry this please, Jennie?" she said. "Do you have ramyun in Thailand?” She asks Lisa upon entering the apartment. Jennie heard her best friend explain Thai fod to Seulgi while she took in the appearance of the apartment. For an apartment complex that is situated in the working class area of Hongdae, Jisoo’s space actually looks luxurious. It’s big enough to have an upper floor. The interior design in itself is calming. Jisoo loves plants, Jennie knows now. Every corner of her apartment has potted plants and a massive fish tank with a simple, minimalistic, aquascape. The apartment is cozy, maybe brought on by the earth tones of her furniture and curtains hanging on a wide window.

                “Like it here?” Jennie hears Jisoo behind her. Jennie looked at her fiancée. The afternoon sunlight from her window reflecting on her face, giving her a glow. Jennie gulped. Intrigued, she repeats to herself. She is just intrigued. She is in no way attracted to Kim Jisoo.

                “Yes. Your place is cozy.” She managed to say. Jisoo smiled and made a small woop. “In that case I am so not transferring to that penthouse suite my father insists on buying.” She said. “Feel free to acquaint yourself with the apartment. This is going to be where you stay, after all, if you push through the wedding.” Jisoo explained. Jennie smiled. Whatever qualms she had about the marriage before was somehow gone. Damn that Jisoo. She is indeed a charmer.

                “I can cook kimchi fried rice, if you like.” Jennie suggested to the group amidst the on going debate between Lisa and Jisoo about which dish should be the perfect partner to their chicken skewers and barbecue. “Oooh, Jennie does a mean kimchi fried rice, trust me on that. It has the Lisa Manoban seal of approval.” Lisa informed Jisoo.

                “Using your aces right, Jennie? Well, the easiest way to Jisoo’s heart is her stomach, after all.” Seulgi teased, her eyes disappearing while she laughs. Jennie shook her head and smiled to herself while preparing the ingredients for the kimchi fried rice all the while familiarizing herself with Jisoo’s kitchen. Meanwhile, she felt something nibbling on her pants. She looked down to see a small dog looking at her expectantly.

                “Hello there, little one.” Jennie crouched to pet the dog properly. The white dog wiggled its tail and Jennie’s hand. “That’s Dalgom, Jisoo’s baby. Looks like he likes you.” Seulgi explained. Jennie carried Dalgom and rubbed her cheek on his fur. “He’s so cute!” Jennie said. Seulgi smiled. “So what is it that you do, Jennie?”

                “I’m a model. Plus Lisa and I recently started our own line of clothes.” Jennie explained. Seulgi might be a little naïve and a bit childish, but she can be intimidating. Jennie thinks it must be because of her height. “Oh right, Jennie Kim, black sheep of the fashion industry. You have quite the reputation.” Seulgi continued.

                “I don’t know what you’re talking about?”

                “The partying? The ladies? The fighting? Gee, for someone who has a small frame you awfully pick fights a lot.” Seulgi said. “In my defense,” Jennie started. “I am more on the verbal side of the attack. It wasn’t really my fault that most people around me are immature and would not think twice to have a brawl.”

                “I know you value your independence, and all. That’s why you should really think it through if you want to pursue this arranged marriage between you two. Jisoo does not need more scandal in her life.” Seulgi said suddenly serious. Jennie sighed. She understands where Seulgi is coming from and she has this burning need to prove her fiancée’s best friend wrong. “Have some respect for Jisoo, it’s not her fault you’re dragged into this. It’s not yours either. Just please, don’t give Jisoo any reason to suffer again.” Seulgi said pleading. Jennie cocked an eyebrow. What does Seulgi mean?

                Before Jennie could ask questions, Dalgom yelped and wiggled his tail hard. The dog basically jumped from Jennie’s arms to Jisoo as the latter entered the room. “What are you two doing here in the kitchen? Are you helping Jennie cook, Seulgi? That’s new.” Jisoo said.

                “I was sharing some embarrassing stories about you, idiot.” Seulgi answered. She was met by a slap in the arm before Jisoo went to the living room to join Lisa in the game she’s playing. “By the way, Jisoo likes her kimchi fried rice spicy. One of her exes, the doctor, disapproves of her eating too much spicy food so whenever they’re not together, she’ll buy some from a restaurant downtown. Make it like how they do in that restaurant. Three kinds of chili.” Seulgi said and smiled at Jennie before joining the girls in the living room. Exes, huh. Jennie thought. So Kim Jisoo is popular girl.

                It was exactly 6 in the evening when the preparations for the barbecue party has finished. “No thanks to you, guys.” Jennie retorted as she finished cooking the kimchi fried rice. She eyes Jisoo, who is obviously happy with her cooking. “Cook this for me everyday, will you?” Jisoo said.

                “Oh no, the famous Jennie Kim is now officially a slave to Kim Jisoo.” Seulgi said. It was lively night, intimate. For a group of people meeting under a weird circumstance, they immediately clicked and Seulgi was sure to capture every bit with her camera. The chatter went on until they heard the doorbell ring. It was a melodious sound. “That’s Chaeyoung!” Seulgi announced and ran at the door to welcome the visitor.

                “Every friend of ours has a special doorbell melody. Kind of like a designated ringtone so we’ll know immediately who’s there.” Jisoo explained. “I’m here!” Chaeyoung announced.

                “Park Chaeyoung!” Jisoo shouted. The apartment unit became noisier at the arrival of Chaeyoung – Rose, as she introduced herself. The girl explained that she originally came from Australia, her family immigrated there when she was little and met Jisoo and Seulgi at the university. Chaeyoung is a chemist and painter and acts as the art director for the game the girls are making.

                Jennie observed her best friend has suddenly become quiet. Lisa’s gaze is fixated on the new arrival. Jennie smirked and gave Lisa a teasing glance in which Lisa returned with a glare. Jisoo then introduced Lisa and Jennie to her friend. “Fiancée? Since when were you dating, Jisoo?” Rose asked.

                “They weren’t. It’s arranged.” Lisa volunteered to answer. Jennie facepalmed. Isn't she and Jisoo supposed to be the ones explaining the situation? Rose’s eyes widen. “So, Jennie, what do you think of our Jisoo, so far? Wife material?” Rose asked. Jennie stammered and struggled to find an answer. “For the love of god, Jisoo, does not, I repeat, does not like shopping. Her bedsheets, and utensils here are all bought by her older sister. She’s a big baby!” Rose said throwing Jisoo a teasing glance. Jisoo pouts. “It’s a tiring task!”

                “Jisoo doesn’t cook either. There’s one time she ate raw pork because she doesn’t how to cook!” Seulgi added and everyone laughed. The night was spent on question, answers, and getting acquainted. Jennie is seriously starting to think that this isn’t a bad idea after all.