The Preparation

It's Going to be You Always

Jisoo woke up earlier than usual. She needs to go to the seamstress for her dress. She found no breakfast ready for her in the kitchen which irked her but then she remembered ever since Seulgi started her job, she no longer stays overnight in her apartment. Their schedule of game development is moved to weekends when everyone is available. Now, if there is anything Jisoo hates most than family gatherings, it’s shopping – or going out for clothes. She doesn’t want to go the seamstress alone. Usually, she’ll have Seulgi taking her but right now, she is at her job cooking god-knows-what for god-knows-who. She planned on calling Chaeyoung but, for sure, she might be busy lending a hand at their family’s architectural firm. Ah, of course. There is one more person.

                “Sowon? Are you there?” Jisoo said as the person on the other side of the phone picked up. Jisoo can’t hear a thing. Punk rock was blaring loudly. “Hey Sowon, I swear to god…” Jisoo shouted over the phone and immediately the music was gone. “What is it that I can do for you, Miss Kim? This should be important. Do you know who I’m listening to? Only my favorite band Rancid.” Sowon answered.

                “Kim Sojung you’re a ! Here I am thinking you’re the best-est friend in the universe and you betray me like that.” Jisoo countered.

                “Quit the theatrics. What do you need, Jisoo.” Sowon deadpanned and then snickered. Jisoo rolled her eyes and began wondering why she has weird friends. “I need you to accompany me.”

                “Do you sometimes stop and think that, maybe, your friend has plans?” Sowon asked giggling. “You don’t have plans, Sowon. You don’t do plans. So are you coming or what?”

                “Yes, yes. I’ll be with you. Where are we going?”

                “To the seamstress. I’m going to see my wedding dress.”

                “Interesting. Okay, I’ll definitely be with you and judge you if your dress is ugly. By the way, why aren’t you with the fiancée?”

                “I don’t know where she is. Maybe she’s with that bimbo she was making out a couple of nights ago.” Jisoo answered rather bitterly.

                “Hmm…is that jealousy I hear on your voice just right now?” Sowon asked slightly teasingly. “W-what? Of course not! Quit being silly, Sowon and can you please fetch me?” Jisoo answered. The slight quivering in her voice gave Sowon the impression that she is right about Jisoo being jealous. Kim Sojung smiled. She knows she has something to tease Jisoo about. She can’t wait until Seulgi and Chaeyoung goes online in their group chat.

 

                “Enlighten me. While I do not believe in patents, you earned enough from your patented piece of technology to buy a more than decent car, then why don’t you have a car?” Sowon said as the girls sat near the driver’s seat on the bus to Gangnam.

                “I’m saving the money.” Jisoo answered.

                “Yes, I know, and that’s good. But we are not talking hundreds here. Your patent is worth millions. You are basically a millionaire. I’m just curious as to why you don’t buy yourself a decent car. I’m not saying buy yourself a Ferrari or a Lamborghini but, you know, a sedan or something.”

                “I told you of my plans before, Sowon. It’s still a part of it.” Jisoo answered and looked outside the window. Sowon sighed. She does not really like her questions being left unanswered. She also knows when to stop when Jisoo doesn’t answer questions.

                “How’s your beekeeping though?” Jisoo asked her friend. Sowon used her trust fund to buy an old, dilapidated apartment building, had it furnished to her liking and keeps an apiary on her rooftop. Jisoo particularly like Sowon’s apartment. Her living room is one big garden. “Oh they are about to produce honey now. I might need your help in bottling some soon.” Sowon smiled.

                “Of course, I’ll be there. Harvesting honey has always been a highlight of our year since college.”

                “Do you think your fiancée will ever join us?” Sowon asked. Jisoo shrugged. She thinks Jennie is a city girl through and through. There’s no way she’ll ever step on Sowon’s mini farm.

 

                A few minutes after their comfortable commute, the pair arrived at the seamstress and found a door in front of the shop. Sowon whistled. “Now that is living life in luxury. Whoever owns this Lexus is swimming in cash.” She observed. Jisoo also observed the car in sight. It somehow seemed familiar but she can’t put her fingers to it.

                “Good morning, can I help you, dears?” A middle aged lady looked up from her notebook to welcome Jisoo and Sowon. “Hi, I’m Kim Jisoo. I am here for an appointment.” The lady nodded and motioned for her to wait by the bench in the foyer. Jisoo grabbed a magazine and she and Sowon immediately made fun of people in the magazine and laughed obnoxiously. The lady had to shush them twice before the pair decided to whisper to each other.

                “Up to some trouble again, Jisoo?”  A voice said. Jisoo was shocked and stopped laughing. She slowly turned to the direction of the voice. Her eyes widen when she saw the woman who called. “J-Jennie. I didn’t know you’d be here.”

                “My schedule for the fitting is today. I didn’t know yours was too. We should have come together.”

                “Why didn’t you call me then?” Jisoo asked challenging Jennie’s calm façade.

                “Why didn’t you?” Jennie asked back. Sowon snickered and whispered, “Checkmate.” Jisoo glared at her and it was then Jennie turned her attention to the stranger behind her fiancée. “I’m sorry, you are?” Jennie asked with a glare.

                “Oh hi! Sorry to introduce myself. I thought Jisoo would do the honors. I’m Kim Sojung, they call me Sowon. Pleased to finally meet you, Jennie.” Sowon announced warmly. Jennie tried to show a genuine smile but her glare stayed in place.

                “What is that you do, Sowon? How come I haven’t met you in Jisoo’s apartment before?” Jennie asked. Sowon smiled that warm smile of hers again. “Wow, two questions in a row!” However, Sowon got serious when she noticed Jennie not smiling at her.

                “Right now, I work at the farm just outside of Seoul as a help. Sometimes, I work as a gardener too for people at Cheongdam. I’m at break from college. God knows when I’m coming back there.” Sowon answered and smiled at Jisoo, as if sharing an inside joke. “You haven’t met me before with the other girls because I think that was when I went home to my parents.”

                “So you aren’t a part of Jisoo’s game development team?” Jennie asked rather warmly this time. “Oh, I am a part of it. I provide the music and code some stuff. I am also the drummer for Jisoo’s band before.”

                “I didn’t know you had a friend who is into agriculture.” Jennie said this time to Jisoo. “Well you didn’t ask and I am not one to tell.” Jisoo said. The latter huffed and crossed her arms. “If I didn’t know better, I’ll say you have a crush on Sowon here.” She said.

                “What?! Are you insane?” Jennie exclaimed which received a reprimand from the seamstress. “No offense, Sowon, but I do not have a crush on you.”

                “None, taken. It seems Jisoo is just jealous.” Sowon blurted and the couple looked at her in shock. Jisoo then pushed Sowon into another waiting room. “You know what, Sojung, why don’t you wait here? It’s much cooler here than the foyer. The heat must be frying your brain.”

                “Please don’t mind Sowon. She’s an idiot.” Jisoo said quickly. Jennie smiled warmly this time. Jisoo noticed she’s not wearing any make-up and she’s dressed simply. How come one can still be beautiful without too much effort? Jisoo thought. She willed herself not to stare at Jennie.

                “It seems your bruises are slowly healing. They are much smaller now compared to when I saw you yesterday.” Jennie said, using her ring finger to sweep Jisoo’s hair away from her eye.

                “Oh you’re wearing it.” Jisoo said looking at Jennie’s ring finger. “Of course I do. I never removed it since we got engaged.” Jennie answered.

                “Mine too. It’s here, see. It even helped me punch that gang leader.” Jisoo answered rather proudly. The two of them laughed. “Look, Jisoo. About the other night. I swear, I’m really sorry. I didn’t mean—“

                “No need to explain yourself, Jennie.”

                “No, I need to let this out.” Jennie said firmly. “I’m sorry, I haven’t really been welcoming. I just got out from a bad break up. Well for me, it was bad. My ex already moved on. So, I kinda need your understanding that I am still healing." Jisoo is staring at Jennie for a long time and the latter can't figure out what's going on her mind. Jisoo smiled softly and nodded.

"You know, I really hate lavish celebrations and luxurious stuff. I mean, our wedding gowns must be expensive and we're only using it once. If I were you, I won't listen to my parents' wishes. But you know, I'm illegitimate so I don't exactly have the power." Jisoo blurted out, changing the topic obviously to lighten Jennie's mood. Jennie smiled warmly, understanding that Jisoo acknowledged her apology and reasons and tries to see the silver lining of things. "You know what," Jennie started. "I think we should plan our wedding ourselves."