Cousin Taeyeon

It's Going to be You Always

Jennie woke up to the blaring of her phone. “What is it, Yeri? Can’t it wait?” She blurted on the phone. “You’re going to be in boiling water right now, Jennie! If I were you I’ll come here immediately in Cheongdam.” Yeri said and hung up. Jennie winced at the light. She looked at the clock on the bedside table. It's 1 ’n the afternoon, she observed and she is in the comfort of her own room. Although she can’t remember most of what happened last night, she knows it’s Jihyo who she had to thank for in bringing her home.

                She decided to go shower and meet Yeri in Cheongdam. As soon as she stood up, she immediately rushed to her toilet to vomit out all the contents of her stomach. It took her a while to muster up her strength and for her stomach to calm down. It took her less than her usual time to shower and drove to their property in Cheongdam. Weird. Why there? The family only uses it when… oh no. It can’t be. Jennie thought and pressed on the accelerator.

                Upon arrival to the venue, she rode the elevator to the 11th floor of the building. She knew her cousins will be there. The elevator made a sing song-y sound signaling her arrival at the desired floor. As the door opened, she hears Yongsun’s dolphin like squeaking laugh and Yeri’s voice. She also heard a man’s voice.

                “As I was saying, Jennie is still young. Let her learn from her mistakes.” It was Yongsun. Mistakes? What did she do this time? “See that’s what is wrong here, Yong. You spoil Jennie too much. She knows she has you to rely on.” Said another woman’s voice. Jennie knew that voice well. She felt like vomiting again. She’s about to back out when Yeri opened the door for her.

                “I knew you’re already here. Is your hangover that strong to leave you gaping there? Come on, unnie is waiting!” Yeri said excitedly. Her younger cousin’s excitement confirmed her fears. Their eldest cousin Kim Taeyeon has arrived.

                Jennie entered the room and was immediately embraced by Yongsun and their cousin Matthew, Big Matthew or BM as Yeri calls him. She plopped herself on the nearby chair to prevent herself from vomiting again – especially that Taeyeon has her eyes on her. “Remove your shades, Jennie. It’s not even bright here.” Taeyeon said. She did as what she’s told and looked at her elder cousin in the eye. “What is it this time?” she asked with a mixture of annoyance and exasperation.

                “I wouldn’t be a , if I were you.” Taeyeon started. “Especially since you have a lot of explaining to do.” She grabbed the newspaper from the coffee table and threw it on her lap. On the front page was her name in bold letters and next to it was a picture of her locking lips with Chaehee. Jennie’s mouth was agape as she looked from cousin to cousin. She felt sick as her memory from the night before flashed before her eyes. Her admission of her infatuation with Jisoo to her friends, to her bitterness about Nayeons’s new life, and Chaehee flirting with her.

                “Now, what were you thinking, Jen?” Taeyeon began. “Grandma called me as soon as they saw the news. They thought this was your way of rebelling against their arrangement.”

                “Not to sound like a hypocrite but, this isn’t wise, Jen. This is low, even for you.” Yongsun commented. Jennie sighed. She wanted to cry. She wanted to let it all out.

                “To be honest,” Jennie started. “I wasn’t thinking. I was just… I just want to have a break for a moment. To process everything?”

                “This is your way of processing things?” Taeyeon asked. Obviously, she was trying not to be angry. If there is one thing Taeyeon hates most, it’s fixing family drama. “Look, I know this isn’t my best decision. But… I no longer know what to say.” Jennie said.

                “Taeng, I think Jen has undergone so much in the past few months. Everything has become a roller coaster ride for her. Let’s just make this slip for one and not let her do a public apology to Jisoo’s family. I think Joohyun and Jisoo will understand.” Yongsun said seriously. It’s one of those times that her cousin is in serious mode. Jennie observes that you wouldn’t want to encounter Yongsun like this. She is much more intimidating than Taeyeon.

                “This is just one minor slip up from Jen.” BM said with that broken Korean of his. “Let her live, Taeng.” He said and smiled at Jennie. Taeyeon sighed and rolled her eyes at her cousins. “Well yes, as long as you promise this will be the last, Jennie Kim.” She smiled at her cousin.

                “Also, we got lucky, I guess. Jennie is not the only one on the spotlight. Jisoo is also on the news.” Taeyeon said and reached for the remote of the TV. It is true, Jennie observed, that Jisoo is on the news, and this time it isn’t for one of her inventions. Jennie’s eyes widen as she heard the headline: “Tech Genius Kim Jisoo Caught Engaging in a Gang War.” Jennie and her cousins watched as the news showed the footage of Jisoo punching a tattooed man. The camera then had a close up of Jisoo’s face, her lips and nose bloody. Jennie sighed. Even with a bloody face Jisoo is a goddess. She got it bad. She wasn't sure before, but she is now.