Fateful Meeting

It's Going to be You Always

This day is the day Kim Jennie will die of nervousness. She’s sweating, hands are clammy, and she is sure close to fainting (as she told her best friend Lisa later that day). Her parents and her grandparents are meeting the representatives of the Bae family along with Kim Jisoo in a hotel to seal the merger. Jennie hates the feeling that she cannot control things. She’s used in having her own way that’s why she cannot stay still while waiting. “Jennie dear, please stop pacing around. You’re making everyone uncomfortable.” Her father says.

                “Relax, dear, the Baes will be here soon.” Her grandmother said and as soon as she heard her grandma’s voice, Jennie starts to relax. If her grandmother is sure nothing bad will happen then she might as well calm down. A few moments, after there was a knock on the door. A young man peeked his head on the door. “Is this the Kim family?” he asked. “My name is Bobby, and I am Mr. Bae’s secretary. I’m sorry we were a bit late. Traffic from Daegu is horrible. We already left early but still.” He explained while opening the door for a group of people. An elderly man, a middle aged man, Bae Joohyun, and Kim Jisoo. Jennie’s grandfather immediately greeted the elderly Bae and her parents become immediately engrossed in small talk with the middle aged man who Jennie assumes is Joohyun and Jisoo’s father. Their father seems to be ignoring Jisoo and would only acknowledge her presence when the merger is involved. Meanwhile, Jennie observed her soon-to-be fiancée. She is talking to her elder sister about the plants in the room while Joohyun removes crumbs from her younger sister's shoulders. Even though this immediate family seemed problematic, it is clear to Jennie that Joohyun adored her half-sister.

                “Ah, Mr. Bae, let me introduce to you my only daughter. Jennie, this is Mr. Bae and his daughters Joohyun and Jisoo.” The girls exchanged pleasantries and Jennie managed to wink at Jisoo. She expected the girl to be embarrassed but to her surprise, Jisoo raised an eyebrow and is unimpressed.

                “Ladies, I know you know why we are all here. We couldn’t wait for us to do business together.” The elderly Bae said. Jennie flinched at his last words which he said so casually one would think he’s not dealing with people. She carefully looked at Jisoo. It seems there were tears of anger in her eyes but she continues to hold her head high. A brave soul. Jennie thought. Everyone kept talking about business and the gains, how to counter losses, and other uninteresting things. Jennie becomes uncomfortable with the way things are happening. She feels like a pawn in a game of chess.

                As if sensing discomfort, Joohyun spoke, changing the topic. “I heard Jennie is a good cook. That’s good, she can teach Jisoo. My baby sister never cooks, unless it’s mandu.”

                “Ah not much, I don’t really follow recipes. I like making my own rules.” Jennie said emphasizing the last sentence. Jisoo looked at her. “That’s good. Making your own rules, I mean. The learning experience is always the important one.” She said smiling directly at Jennie. For the first time, Jennie noticed the small things that wasn’t captured in her photo in the magazine. How Jisoo’s lips would be heart shaped when she smiles, and how her eyes twinkle and her nose scrunches up when she laughs. She also noticed her deep voice and playful personality when talking to Irene. The magazine never brought justice to the persona that is Kim Jisoo.

                The day ended with Jennie and Jisoo being engaged, complete with a diamond ring now encircling their finger. Joohyun informed her that Jisoo herself choe the design. It was a simple design but different in color. Jennie's diamond ring is black, while Jisoo's is pink. The family decided to let the world know of the engagement by tomorrow and has planned to buy a penthouse unit for the couple in Seoul. Jisoo insisted to have her space in Hongdae stay as it is because her workshop is there. “Or why not we should just stay there instead? It’s big, I could host a New Year’s party there and still have somewhere to hide.” She says, rolling her eyes at her father’s extravagant plans for the wedding.

                “I think you should give us a couple of months before planning the wedding. We’d like to plan our wedding.” Jennie said finally. Everyone agreed for the couple to stay at Jisoo’s place. As everyone is about to say their goodbye, Jennie noticed Jisoo purposely slowing her walk. She waited a while for Jisoo to catch up with her. “Hey there, fiancée.” Jennie said. Jisoo managed to smile weakly and looked distant. “You okay?” Jennie asked sincerely. Jisoo nodded and looked at her new fiancée.

                “So you are the famous Jennie Kim. I think everyone in Hongdae knows you and your brand. You are the black sheep of the fashion industry, it seems.”

                “Hongdae, huh? To be honest I haven’t been there. But it is the demographic for my brand. Almost all the kids our age consider that to be the coolest place.” Jennie chuckled. “It was Lisa’s idea. She’s my best friend and business partner.”

                “I think we should skip the pleasantries. You and I both know we don’t like being in this situation.” Jisoo suddenly blurted out. “You can always back out, Jennie. Save yourself from a boring life with a boring person such as myself.” Jisoo smiled and skipped towards Joohyun’s car. Jennie was taken aback. Where did that come from?

                “Joohyun, can you give me a lift to the station?” She heard Jisoo say. Weird. Her father, grandfather, and the assistant are all gone now and left Jisoo. Good thing her older sister is still here. Jennie observed as Jisoo rode her sister’s car and gave a wave back to Jennie’s grandparents. Upon eye contact with her, Jisoo poked her tongue and smiled. That was incredibly childish. Jennie thought. She wouldn’t admit, though, that she finds it cute.