The Kim Family

It's Going to be You Always

The Kim family is known as one of the oldest and richest families in South Korea. Their ancestors were advisers to the emperor and were granted land titles in which they were able to establish their agricultural business. The family’s wealth really boomed after the world wars where agriculture was one of the industries vital for the restoration of the country. Jennie’s great grandfather worked with the Americans to establish a new technology in agriculture. For years, the Kim family business boomed and through Jennie’s grandfather, it has reached intercontinental influence.

                But as the 2000s progress, the business faced competition which grew tougher and tougher as the years pass. The technology the family business offers is a bit backwards compared to their contemporaries and match that with poor management skills from one of Jennie’s uncles, their family business is doomed. At least, that’s what Jennie understands from all of the explanations her grandfather has provided today.

                Upon reaching the estate early that day, Jennie and Yeri were immediately brought to the family room where everyone was gathered and in the center was their grandfather. As much as Jennie is happy to see her grandparents, there is something off in the air. Everything feels dreadful. Jennie is thankful that she has Yeri with her. Whatever happens, she has Jennie's back. Being in the same age group, it wasn’t difficult for the cousins to become close.

                Still, Jennie can’t shake off the feeling that the worst isn’t over yet. After a while, her grandfather shifted in his seat and began to speak. “There is one thing left to do in order to save this business. It would be really such a shame to end the business that were built and developed in a countless of years by our ancestors.” Her grandfather took a sip of tea and continued. “The biggest name in technology industry is offering a merger. The Bae family needs someone to seal the deal.”

                “A merger? Grandpa, don’t tell me it will be like the old times where you arrange a marriage for a business deal. That’s awfully old fashioned.” Yeri said. Jennie almost laughed at her cousin’s comment when she saw the expression on her grandparents’ faces. Both of them looked serious.

                “The Bae family is old fashioned, my dear. They requested for a merger through marriage. They believe that there is no stronger bond forged by tying a knot.” Their grandfather answered. Yeri's smile was wiped off her face and look confused.

                “Well, last I heard there is no son in this generation of the Bae. That because we have no eligible bachelors in our family either. Except for uncle Jong, he’s divorced so I guess we can manage.” Yeri said. This comment shocked the elder members of the family and even earned Yeri a slight slap in the back from her mother. The elderly couple just laughed along with Yeri and even joked about the divorce. Then everything is serious again.

                “The Bae family has given their youngest daughter’s hand to us. She’s 25 years old and the closest to her age here is Jennie.” The elderly man said. Jennie was shocked and looked at her parents and Yeri for support.

                “Grandpa, I’m a girl. You can’t possibly consider marrying me to her.”

                ‘Don’t act like you have made an effort to hide it. Everyone in this family knows your preference, dear.” Her grandfather said and laughed. Jennie looked at her mother who gave her a knowing smirk. “I didn’t tell anyone. I just have to make that clear before you accuse me.” Said Yeri.

                “So, you’re saying that I should marry this daughter of the Bae’s?” Jennie said, her voice starting to rise. She doesn’t know why but she’s starting to panic. The need to run away is strong.

                “Jennie, dear,” her grandmother spoke for the first time. “I know this sounds absurd and unfair to you, but we won’t allow this to happen if we weren’t sure that you will be okay. I met Jisoo and she is lovely. You’ll like her.” The elderly woman explained and everyone was quiet. When it comes to her grandmother, Jennie knew she doesn’t have any choice.