Chapter 5

The Vampire and The 'Shifter

Yuto and Hoetaek traveled the hour out of Toronto, arriving at Chani's coven house a few days later. Nothing was heard from Kino again after the Starbucks incident but they moved Yuto anyway to keep him from getting targeted by the pack.

Chani was sitting on the porch swing waiting for them as Hoetaek arrived in his car. "Hope it didn't take too long to get here," said Chani as Hoetaek and Yuto got out of the car. "Nah, an hour's fine," Yuto said, shrugging. "Guys, they're here!" Chani called into the house, causing everyone to come outside.

"Is there anyone else we need to worry about besides Kino?" Asked Chani. "No," said Hoetaek. "It's just him for now, but I'm sure the others will appear soon enough," he said.

"Why'd they be targeting you anyway?" Sungjong asked Yuto. "I'm not sure really," said Yuto. "They started coming to my place of work a week ago," he said, shrugging. "Probably wondering why I decided to become friends with a 'shifter," he said.

"How'd you two meet anyway?" Asked Sungyeol. "Saved me from the gang I ran with," said Yuto. "We moved to Toronto and the rest was history," he said, shrugging. "Come in in, we tend to forget that you humans freeze easily," said Chani and everyone went inside.

"Nice place," said Yuto. "Thanks, sorry if it's a bit small," said Chani. "It's bigger than my old apartment," Yuto said, shrugging. "We do have food, in the form of venison," said Chani. "For me," Jaemin said, scratching the back of his head. "Hey, no problem," said Yuto. "As long as I can get some grocery shopping in every week," he said. "I'll bring left over pastries home too," he said. "Sure," said Chani.

"I'm going hunting," said Sungyeol. "I'll go with you," said Myungsoo. "Sure," said Sungyeol before he left with Myungsoo. "You seem different," remarked Myungsoo as they went after a herd of deer. "Mm," said Sungyeol as he stopped by a tree, causing Myungsoo to stop beside him.

"The 'shifter caught your eye eh?" Asked Myungsoo. "I don't think he noticed," said Sungyeol. "With him running from his past whatnot," he said. "Should talk to him," said Myungsoo. "Next time," said Sungyeol. "I think Chani made me the one to take him into the city," he said. "The human? Hm," said Myungsoo. After getting their kills they headed home, Sungyeol taking note of Hoetaek's car still being in the driveway before they went inside.

"Can we talk?" Asked Hoetaek as he turned to Sungyeol. "Sure?" Asked Sungyeol. Hoetaek nodded and left with Sungyeol, going outside.

"What's up?" Asked Sungyeol. "Chani has made you Yuto's chauffeur," said Hoetaek as he scratched the back of his head. "Okay," said Sungyeol. "I was expecting that," he said, chuckling some. "You don't hunt humans anymore?" Asked Hoetaek. "No," said Sungyeol as he went to sit on the porch swing. Hoetaek nodded. "Just wondering," he said.

"You know," said Sungyeol as he looked up at Hoetaek as he leaned against the porch railing. "You remind me of one of Chani's friends, he also dyed his hair bright red," he said, snickering some. "His mate called him a walking target," he said. Hoetaek laughs. "Well, at least this way they wouldn't expect it," he said. "Your old pack?" Asked Sungyeol. Hoetaek nodded.

"Why would they go after you anyway?" Asked Sungyeol. "Why the concern?" Asked Hoetaek. Sungyeol shrugs. "Just being curious," he said. Hoetaek hummed, before shrugging. "I'm not sure," he said. "I'm not the main alpha or anything, and I've always kind of stayed away from them," he said. "Must be important enough for one of their best trackers to go after you," said Sungyeol. "I never figured out why," Hoetaek said with a shrug. "I'm still in their group chat and I use that to determine who is after me most of the time," he said.

"They haven't removed you yet?" Asked Sungyeol. Hoetaek shook his head. "Do you have location tracker on?" Asked Sungyeol. "No," said Hoetaek. "I'm not that stupid," he said with a snort. "And yet they've only seen you in glances?" Asked Sungyeol. "Until recently pretty much yeah," said Hoetaek. "Where are you staying now?" Asked Sungyeol. "I'll find a place in Toronto," said Hoetaek. Sungyeol nodded.

Hoetaek left after making sure his friend Yuto would be fine, and thus began the trips back and forth to Yuto's work and their coven house. After the first day Yuto needed to get food so Sungyeol took him to the nearest grocery store to get some.

"Let me introduce you to my version of a human diet," said Yuto as he grabbed a cart and walked into the store with Sungyeol following after him. "Thanks to me not needing to pay rent anymore I can sort of splurge on food," he said. "I used to be big into eating mac and cheese but now I can explore a bit especially with the steady supply of venison," he said as he went to get what he needed. "Of course, I will get Jaemin to eat too, I mean he can't live off meat forever," he added. Sungyeol hummed in response as he pushed the cart while Yuto started putting things into the cart.

They ran into another 'shifter while Yuto was in the fresh produce section, with Sungyeol tensing slightly but keeping his focus on Yuto's small ranting about vegetables. Yuto noticed the tense atmosphere after Sungyeol had gone silent as he looked up at Sungyeol with a questioning look.

"We should go," Sungyeol said quietly as he scratched the back of his head. "We have mouths to feed," he said. "Ah, of course, sorry," said Yuto as he nodded, quickly grabbing what he needed and bumping into said 'shifter, dropping his stuff.

"Ah, sorry!" Said the 'shifter as he helped pick up the dropped stuff. "Wasn't looking where I was going," he said as he looked up at Sungyeol who had come over to see if Yuto was okay. "No problem," said Yuto as he handed Sungyeol the stuff he picked up with Sungyeol putting it in the cart. "I need to look where I'm going," he said, chuckling some. The 'shifter glanced at Sungyeol who dared him to do something as he handed Yuto his dropped items. "Here, sorry I'll be going now," he called before going to his cart and moving quickly away.

"Another one of his friends?" Asked Yuto as he put the items in the cart. "Pretty much," said Sungyeol as he pushed the cart to the checkout lane. "I haven't seen him since he left," grumbled Yuto. "I'm sure he's fine," said Sungyeol as he loaded the stuff onto the conveyor belt, nodding to the cashier in greeting.

A text pinged to Yuto's phone and he checked it, seeing a text from Hoetaek as he eyed the total on the register before looking at Sungyeol and silently pleading for him to pay for it. Sungyeol sighed and swiped his card, paying for the food as Yuto checked his messages.

"He finally messaged me!" Said Yuto as Sungyeol drove home after loading the groceries into the jeep. "What'd he say?" Asked Sungyeol. "Well," said Yuto. "I think he was a bit late but he told us that a 'shifter was in the store we were just in," he said, earning a snort from Sungyeol. "Timing," said Sungyeol as he continued driving, heading home.