Chapter 10

The Vampire and The 'Shifter

Sungyeol and Hoetaek seemed to work in tandem as they both hunted, going after a herd of deer. They seemed to be in sync with each other as they split, attacking from different directions and going after a deer each. It seemed to appease the monsters inside them as Sungyeol drained one of the deer of blood before taking the other one from Hoetaek and draining that one.

Hoetaek sat down and waited until Sungyeol had his fill before standing and walking up to him and bumping him with his snout. Sungyeol turned and buried his face into Hoetaek's fur. "We're such a mess aren't we?" He asked, voice muffled into Hoetaek's fur. Hoetaek snorts, taking note of the scarf around Sungyeol's neck as he nuzzled Sungyeol. "I did keep the scarf," mumbled Sungyeol as he moved away, smiling softly. "I don't just throw away gifts you know," he said, laughing some as he went to dig a hole to bury the deer. Hoetaek went to help.

"Race you home?" Asked Sungyeol once they were done. Hoetaek bared his teeth in a smirk before taking off, heading home. "Hey!" Shouted Sungyeol before he sprinted after Hoetaek.

Chani was sitting on the porch swing waiting on them when they got back. "Calm now?" He asked. "Yeah," said Sungyeol. Hoetaek nodded before going to the tree where he stripped to change back and put his clothes on before coming to stand beside Sungyeol. "Come on in, we'll talk in the morning," said Chani. "Everyone just kinda scattered into their rooms," he said. Sungyeol nodded and headed inside with Hoetaek and Chani.

"Can sleep in my room if you want," Sungyeol said to Hoetaek. "I guess," said Hoetaek. "Don't do anything loud in there," Chani said with a snicker, earning a pillow getting thrown at Chani. "You too Chani," Sungyeol said with a snicker. "Oh shut up," said Chani as he threw the pillow back before going into his room. Sungyeol chuckled and went to put the pillow back on the couch before heading into his room with Hoetaek following after him.

"Why'd you get exiled to my room?" Sungyeol asked Yuto and Jaemin. "The 'shifters wanted to be alone, and Chani wanted to spend time with Zuho," said Yuto, earning a sigh from Sungyeol. "Okay," said Sungyeol. "Bathroom's across the hall," he said to Hoetaek as he went to the closet to grab a change of clothes and throw it at Hoetaek. "You three can have the bed I guess, I'll be on the computer," he said, pointing to the desk. Jaemin, Hoetaek and Yuto nodded before Hoetaek went to take a shower.

When Hoetaek came back Sungyeol went to take a shower, coming back to seeing Yuto and Jaemin in bed and Hoetaek on the floor with a blanket and pillow, the three of them fast asleep. Sungyeol shook his head and went to sit down at his desk and browse the internet for the rest of the night.

Towards dawn Sungyeol heard whimpering coming from the floor behind him, causing him to turn in his chair to look towards the sound. Hoetaek was sleeping with the blanket half on him, his face covered with his right arm while his left was laid across his chest. Sungyeol looked towards the bed to make sure it wasn't Yuto or Jaemin who were curled up against each other, Jaemin in wolf form, before Sungyeol heard another whimper coming from Hoetaek's direction.

Hoetaek seemed to be stuck in a nightmare and Sungyeol wasn't sure what to do at first. He eventually got up and walked the small distance to sit behind Hoetaek, putting his head in his lap. Hoetaek continued to whimper softly as Sungyeol gently hushed him, gently running his hands through Hoetaek's hair.

There was movement coming from Chani's room before Chani walked over to peek his head into Sungyeol's room to see if everything was alright. "Nightmares?" Asked Chani. Sungyeol nodded, looking down when the whimpers died down, Hoetaek mumbling something in his sleep before turning over. Sungyeol was careful as he moved, letting Hoetaek settle into the pillow he slept on before getting up and leaving the room with Chani following him into the kitchen where the other vampires were sitting around the kitchen table.

"What the hell was that yesterday?" Asked Sungjong as Sungyeol slumped down in the chair with a sigh. "I honestly don't know what came over me," said Sungyeol. "That was scary, I seriously thought you were going to kill him, not that I would mind that," said Zuho. "Jaehwan was in the same boat, he and I ran to hunt in a different direction for a bit after you returned," he said.

"As far as I know from Moonbin the alpha of a 'shifter pack is determined by genes," said Chani. "And you said Jaehwan was the main alpha of his little pack right?" He asked, turning to Zuho. Zuho nodded. "But this is different," he said.

"Hoetaek is the main alpha of his pack but he doesn't want the job," said Sungyeol. "From what I've learned anyway," he said. "What would be his reasoning behind it though?" He asked. "Probably what we saw last night," said Chani.

"What I find weird is that it affected you and Jaehwan," said Zuho. "Jaehwan I can understand because he's a 'shifter but you?" He asked. "We're mates," said Sungyeol. "At least, I found my mate in him, not sure about him," he said. "Doesn't explain how it affected me though," said Zuho. "You're mated to Jaehwan," said Chani. "In a way it would move to you also if he was pissed off enough or his alpha instincts kicked in," he said. Everyone looked over when Hoetaek came out of Sungyeol's room, rubbing the back of his head slightly as he walked into the kitchen.

"Care to explain what yesterday was about?" Asked Chani. "Ah well," said Hoetaek as he sighed. "The clan I came from has all been main alphas," he said. "I think at this point we can call me the most powerful alpha due to my ability to get most others to fight with me," he said.

"Is this why you don't want to become the main alpha?" Asked Chani. Hoetaek nodded. "I don't want to keep bringing others to their deaths, so I ran from my current pack and here we are," said Hoetaek. "I think Jaehwan's the same way," he said. "Considering how things went with him and his pack," he said. Zuho hummed in response.