Chapter 2

The Vampire and The 'Shifter

Today wasn't his day it seemed, as Hoetaek spotted some of his old pack members while he was out buying hair dye to dye his hair red. He wasn't spotted thank god, but he didn't want to take any chances. He was supposed to meet with some hunters today, being an informant for hunters in the city of Toronto. He was hyper aware of Chani and his coven but he didn't pay them any mind. He wasn't a hunter, therefore he paid them no mind as long as he was left alone.

The day was spent getting supplies, as he needed to move a different spot in the city since he didn't want to take any chances. He got some extra pairs of clothes, putting on his scarf to hide his face and since it was winter, it was appropriate.

He wouldn't dye his hair until later, after he moved. For now he kept his identity hidden with a baseball cap and his scarf. The scarf was a gift from his friend Yuto, who lived on the other side of the city. Yuto was still human, and rarely asked questions when Hoetaek needed a place to stay for a day or two before he moved again.

Yuto knew about his 'shifter abilities, but was completely fine with it. He knew what it was like to run from the past, he had done it successfully prior to his moving to Toronto. Here he could be hidden. No one suspected a thing.

"Hello?" Came Yuto's voice. "I need a place to stay for a day," said Hoetaek. "Again? When are you getting over here?" Asked Yuto. "Later, I need to pack up the car and get ready to meet up with some hunters that were in the area," said Hoetaek. "You're lucky as hell that no one suspects you being friends with a human," Yuto said with a snort. "I know," said Hoetaek. "You're lucky I'm keeping you safe," he said. Yuto snorts again. "Sure sure, I'll see you later," he said before he hung up.

Hoetaek sighed as he flopped on the bed of his motel room. He looked at his phone, checking the pack's group chat to see what they were saying. He was sure they weren't aware of him still being in the chat so he was good for now. He saw that they were still oblivious to where he was so he had some time to chill for a bit.

He went to pack up his spare clothes and go check out at the counter before heading out to his car, wrapping his scarf around his neck and covering his mouth and putting his hat on. He got in his car and threw his bag into the passenger seat before starting the car and backing out, driving off and heading towards Yuto's apartment.

Yuto opened the door, not looking surprised to see Hoetaek before letting him in. Hoetaek walked on in, throwing his bag on the couch before flopping down on it. "I can't keep letting you stay here you know," said Yuto as he turned to Hoetaek. "My landlord is really strict about me having visitors," he said. "We can move again," said Hoetaek. "You sound like we have money," Yuto said with a snort. "I barely have enough to pay rent, let alone deal with you and your pack," he said.

"They were here?" Asked Hoetaek. Yuto nodded. "I hate you, you know that?" He asked. "You don't, we both know that," Hoetaek said with a snort, moving his scarf away from his mouth and taking off his hat. "I'll see about getting us a place to stay, we may need to move out of the city," he said. "You might, I'm fine here," said Yuto. "Maybe, maybe not," Hoetaek said with a chuckle.

"Should come with me later, I'll buy you dinner," he said. "Where are you going?" Asked Yuto. "Meeting up with some hunters at one of the malls," said Hoetaek. "And I plan on dying my hair so I may disappear for good," he said. "Aw come on, come visit at least," said Yuto, causing Hoetaek to grin. "Yeah, always," said Hoetaek as he chuckled. "I'll go with you, as long as you buy dinner," said Yuto. "Sure," said Hoetaek.

Later they headed out to the meeting spot, with Hoetaek driving. "We got some visitors it seems," said Yuto. "It's Chani's coven, don't worry about it," said Hoetaek as they entered the mall with Hoetaek putting his hat on and his scarf over his mouth. "Where are you meeting them at?" Asked Yuto. "By the food court, let's get your dinner and we'll wait for them," said Hoetaek as he walked towards the food court. Yuto followed after him. After getting dinner for Yuto and himself Hoetaek went to sit at a table with Yuto sitting in front of him.

"There's a wolf in the mall," said Yuto as he spotted Jaemin with Sungyeol. "Ah, don't worry about him," said Hoetaek as he ate his dinner. "Again, they're with Chani," he said. "Remind me why hunters can't kill them?" Asked Yuto. "They did nothing wrong so far," said Hoetaek as he shrugged, looking down at his phone when the group chat buzzed.

"How the hell?" He asked. "Go, they don't even know me," said Yuto. "I'll meet you a block away," he said. Hoetaek nodded and finished eating his dinner before getting up and going to meet Jisung and Kihyun. Yuto finished eating and got up, walking away casually as to not start a scene.

"Kihyun, Jisung?" Asked Hoetaek as he walked over after Sungyeol and Jaemin left. "Hey there," said Kihyun. "You have our vampire?" He asked. Hoetaek nodded. "Sorry if this is a short meeting but," he said, handing a piece of paper to Jisung who read it, nodding. "You'll get your payment after we go after him," said Jisung.

Hoetaek nodded, turning and spotting someone he didn't expect. "God damn it," he said, before quickly walking away and into the crowd, covering his mouth with his scarf again. If Kino was here he was sure the others were too. He just needed to get away. Kino was their best tracker, and he needed to get away before they tracked him to Yuto's house again.

He ran passed Sungyeol, Sungjong and Jaemin as he ran towards an alleyway. He'd have to get back to his car once he was sure the coast was clear. He hoped that Yuto was smart enough to get to the car before anyone else did and drive it a block away from the mall. He hid behind a dumpster, listening to them speak with Kino. He breathed a sigh of relief as they lied about where he went before leaving the alleyway, freezing when he heard Kihyun and Jisung call out to him.

"You're welcome," said Kihyun as he walked over. "Oh, thanks," said Hoetaek as he scratched the back of his head. "If you need a place to get away, just let us know," said Kihyun. "I'll think about it," said Hoetaek as Yuto pulled up in his car. "Need a ride somewhere?" Asked Yuto as he spotted Kihyun and Jisung. "No, we're good thanks," said Jisung. Hoetaek nodded. "Thanks again," he said before getting in the car, with Yuto driving off.

"I swear to god," said Yuto as he kept looking straight ahead. "That was the closest they've ever gotten to you, who was that?" He asked. "Kino, he's a tracker," said Hoetaek. "My scent may not be masked but I hope that dying my hair will throw them off a bit more," he said, sighing. "I will never understand how you 'shifters work," grumbled Yuto as he parked the car in his spot before getting out with Hoetaek following after him.

That night Hoetaek got his payment as promised while he was dying his hair. "Oh goody," he said, washing out his hair over the bathroom sink. He glanced at the dye job, nodding in his approval before towel drying his hair. He left the bathroom while he was still towel drying his hair and spotted Yuto in the livingroom. "Nice color," Yuto said with sarcasm. "Thanks," said Hoetaek. "It better not have stained my bathroom sink," said Yuto. "It didn't," said Hoetaek as he went to sit down beside Yuto.