Chapter 14

The Vampire and The 'Shifter

It finally began to snow, something that Hoetaek took note of as he went to lay in the backyard, staring up at the sky. It was one of Yuto's days off and Yuto spent it with Jaemin and Changgu under the watchful eye of Yanan.

"If I didn't know any better I'd say you'd get sick just lying there in the snow," said Sungyeol as he walked over. Hoetaek snorts, shaking his head. "I'll be fine," he said. "I know," said Sungyeol as he went to lay beside Hoetaek.

"It's been quiet," said Hoetaek as he reached up to let a snowflake land on his finger that quickly melted due to his body heat. "Yeah," said Sungyeol. "I don't know if I like this silence," he said. "I don't either," said Hoetaek. "I know they're planning something," he said. "They wouldn't just let this go without something happening," he said.

"Is there anyone else we should look out for?" Asked Chani as he walked over. "Not exactly no," said Hoetaek. "Everyone else was just basically against me being the alpha so," he said, shrugging. "I didn't even want the job and I found myself with them," he said, sighing a bit.

"Maybe because of the two brothers?" Asked Chani. "No," said Hoetaek. "If it was because of those two I'd've left them ages ago," he said. "They found us and asked us to join them," he said. "They were without an alpha at the time so," he said, shrugging.

"Is it because of Yuto?" Asked Sungyeol. "No," said Hoetaek. "Though it was Yanan that had him involved with us in the first place, but we've been with them for a few years prior to meeting him," he said.

"Okay, explain to me then," said Sungyeol. "Who did you meet first and how did you end up with them?" He asked. "Yanan and Changgu were the first people I met," said Hoetaek. "I knew their father, and since I owed their father a few things I took those two with me because he had asked," he said. "Well, he had asked for me to take Changgu but I took Yanan with me also, I couldn't see the two of them apart," he added.

"Then it was Jinho and Shinwon, Jinho is actually older than me and Shinwon is older than Changgu and Yanan by a year, we met them while travelling," he said. "Hongseok, Hyojung and Kino were next, they're all younger than me, and Kino is 2 years younger than Yanan and Changgu, we saved them from nearly getting executed by their own pack," he said. "And then Wooseok is last, he started changing and his parents just handed him to us because they didn't know what to do," he said. "And he's your youngest," said Chani. Hoetaek nodded. "Well, if we include Yuto into this mess he's the youngest," he said.

"So we haven't met 4 of your packmates yet," said Chani. "Nope," said Hoetaek. "What are the others like?" Asked Chani. "Well," said Hoetaek as he thought about it. "Shinwon's the best tracker alongside Kino, Hyojung's the best fighter other than Yanan and I, Hongseok's kinda... Eh?" He asked. "And then Wooseok is cold and indifferent," he said. "Who came up with the idea that killing you and those involved would get Wooseok to become alpha?" Asked Chani. "Who else but Wooseok?" Hoetaek asked with a scoff. "He's been the most against it," he said.

"Who do you think did that to Changgu?" Asked Sungyeol. "It wasn't Hyojung," said Hoetaek. "He's on the same boat as us when it comes to protecting Changgu," he said. "Plus I'd recognize his handiwork," he said. "This looks like it was done over time," said Chani. "I wouldn't put it passed them to only do damage to Changgu when Hyojung isn't there," said Hoetaek. "Especially when Changgu doesn't speak," he said. "But, what the hell caused his healing to basically be that of a human's?" He asked. "I'm curious about that too," said Sungyeol. "Only because it could be proven dangerous if in the wrong hands," he said. Chani hummed in response.

Changgu walked over with his brother. "Having fun just laying in the snow?" Asked Yanan. "Yes," Hoetaek said, laughing some before sitting up. Sungyeol chuckled and sat up. "What's up?" He asked. "Ah, Changgu wants to hang out," said Yanan. "Of course," said Sungyeol as he smiled softly. Hoetaek smiled. "I'd never turn down an offer like that from the Changgu," he said, laughing some. Changgu grinned and nodded.

"You up for a run Changgu?" Asked Hoetaek. Changgu nodded. "Alright," said Hoetaek. "Let's go get changed then," he said, going behind a tree and going to change. Changgu did the same thing. Sungyeol shook his head in amusement, going to grab both their clothes and put it somewhere out of the snowfall once they both came back in wolf form. "Race you!" Said Sungyeol before he took off. The two wolves howl before chasing after Sungyeol.

Chani chuckled, watching them quickly disappear into the trees. "They'll be fine," he said, turning to Yanan. "I know," said Yanan as he had the fondest smile on his face. "Changgu loves running," he said. "It's nice to see him running again," he said before going back inside with Chani.

Sungyeol raced them through the snow with no real destination in mind, though both he and Hoetaek were mindful of Changgu still being somewhat still in recovery despite him looking okay now.

When Changgu stopped Hoetaek and Sungyeol turned to him, looking worried. "You tired?" Asked Sungyeol. Changgu nodded. Sungyeol chuckled softly. "Change back, I can put my jacket on you and Hoetaek can carry you back," he said. Changgu nodded and changed back to his human form, standing there shivering slightly. Sungyeol took off his jacket and put it over Changgu, making sure he had his arms in the jacket before zipping it up and helping him onto Hoetaek's back. When Changgu had a secure enough grip they headed home.

"Aw, he fell asleep on the way back," said Sungyeol as they arrived. "I'll go get Yanan give me like 5 seconds," he said to Hoetaek who nodded. Sungyeol went inside to get Yanan, coming back out with him a minute later.

"Aw, he did fall asleep," said Yanan. "I told you," Sungyeol said, laughing softly as he went to help Yanan get Changgu off Hoetaek's back, with Yanan carrying him inside. Hoetaek went to change and put on his clothes, taking Changgu's clothes with him inside. Sungyeol followed after him.