Chapter 4

The Vampire and The 'Shifter

Hoetaek could feel his paws hit the ground as he ran, confused and alone. He didn't know where he was, he just ran after he changed into a giant wolf. He hadn't focused on where, just focused on running. From what, that he was unsure of as he heard howls somewhere in the distance behind him.

Hoetaek woke with a gasp, jumping up and falling off the couch that had been his bed for the night. He groaned as he moved, his head bumping into the coffee table in front him. He reached up and put his hand on the coffee table, pushing himself up as he sat up. He found his phone sitting on the coffee table so he grabbed it, checking the texts from last night and finding one from Yuto.

Breakfast is in the kitchen. Had to open early today, come down for coffee if you want, those vampires are supposed to meet us at noon was the text he had been sent. He checked the time and found it close to 11 am so he got up, rushing to get ready and eat breakfast.

He got dressed in a blue sweater and a pair of jeans with a pair of converses, wrapping his scarf around his neck for measure. He examined himself in the bathroom mirror as he combed his hands through his hair to get rid of the bed head before going to grab his phone and head down to the Starbucks that Yuto was working at, grabbing a newspaper along the way.

It was Yuto that greeted him at the counter as Hoetaek ordered his usual, slipping Hoetaek a note as he was handed his receipt. They came by again this morning. Made sure to keep a corner of the place open for you was the note as Hoetaek nodded, going to sit down in a corner that was away from the windows but still provided a view of the coffee shop. He hid his face behind the newspaper, relying on his sense of hearing.

The door chimed as it opened, and Yuto greeted the person before getting their order. "Name on the cup?" He asked. "Ah, Kino," said Kino as he gave a friendly smile. Yuto hummed before writing the name on it and putting it to the side for a coworker to get. "5$," he said, returning his attention to Kino.

Kino handed him a 10. "Keep the change," he said. Yuto glanced at the 10, seeing a note with it. I know he's here. Cause a scene now and I will not hesitate to kill you was the note. Yuto nodded and processed the order before writing down on the receipt. I know. "Have a nice day," he said with a grin as he handed Kino his receipt before going to make Hoetaek's drink.

Right on cue Sungyeol walked into the coffee shop with Jaemin and Chani, going up to the counter. "Welcome," Yuto said with faked enthusiasm as he grinned. "What shall I get you?" He asked. "The usual," said Chani as he grinned in greeting, hiding his fangs. "Can I get a scone?" Asked Jaemin. "And a scone," said Chani.

"Name on cup?" Asked Yuto as he glanced at Chani. "Sungyeol," Sungyeol said, sounding bored. "Sure," said Yuto as he wrote the name down, grabbing Hoetaek's cup and writing the same name. "6.20$" He said. Sungyeol handed him a card and Yuto swiped it, having Sungyeol sign the receipt before giving him the customer copy with a note at the bottom with the card. Corner of the store. Newspaper. "Have a nice day," said Yuto as he grinned before going to make the drinks, his coworker handing a scone to Jaemin.

Chani, Jaemin and Sungyeol walked over to the corner of the store, sitting in front of Hoetaek who kept his face buried in the newspaper. "Nice day isn't it?" Asked Chani. Hoetaek glanced out from the newspaper, his eyebrows raised before shrugging. "Yeah, it is," he said, changing his voice slightly as he coughed.

"Anything interesting in the news today?" Asked Sungyeol. "Not really," said Hoetaek as he moved his scarf over his mouth before lowering the newspaper. He knew they were aware of Kino still being in the shop so it didn't surprise him that they didn't question why he put his scarf over his mouth. "Order for Kino!" Called Yuto and they spotted Kino walk up to get his coffee before going to sit down by the windows.

"That cold?" Asked Jaemin as he chuckled some. "Could say that," said Hoetaek as he chuckled some. "Order for Sungyeol!" Called Yuto and Sungyeol got up to get their drinks before coming back and handing Hoetaek his drink before sipping on his own cup of coffee.

Hoetaek took a minute to examine his cup, taking note of Yuto's usual messy handwriting before moving the scarf down slightly to take a drink. "So what's up?" He asked. "Ah, we came to let you know that the answer is yes," said Chani. Hoetaek blinked. "Good ol' 'Bin talked to you then?" He asked. Chani nodded. "Had to see first, you know, just to be sure," he said, shrugging. Hoetaek looked relieved. "Thank you," he said.

"Nice hair color by the way," Jaemin said with a snicker. "Oh hush," Hoetaek said with a shake of his head as he got a text from Yuto. He's listening. Keep it short was the text. "Ah, we should go then," he said. "We do have a big day planned ahead, sure," said Chani as he got up with his coffee cup. Sungyeol and Jaemin got up, waiting for Hoetaek as he folded his newspaper under his arm as he got up, taking his cup with him as they went outside.

"So you are being tailed," said Chani once they were a good distance away from the Starbucks. "Yeah," said Hoetaek as he scratched the back of his head. "I figured you'd contact Moonbin about me," he said. "It was a precaution, and we needed to head into Toronto anyway, Kihyun and Jisung were headed to Europe," Chani said with a shrug as they walked. "Just dropped them at the airport?" Asked Hoetaek. Chani hummed in response.

"He'll do fine with you guys," said Hoetaek. "He'll just need rides to and from work but," he said, shrugging. "No worries," said Sungyeol. "Just works daytime shift?" He asked. Hoetaek nodded. "9 to 5 job," he said. "Sometimes they have him go open the store but," he said, shrugging.