Highschool; Eli

Take Me Away

Eli settled down at his usual sit in class; the very last row at the very back. He placed his bag on the table, slumped in his seat and looked out of the window. The days in high school are always boredom. Every passing minute, during a lesson, nothing will pass through his brain, not like it’s even functioning or something. Eli doesn’t really care what grade he gets or how much he got nagged each day by the teachers. A day pass and a day goes; that’s how his time in high school passed.

            Eli never makes any friends, not like he is unpopular or a geek or anything. Eli just doesn’t give a damn about relationships or friendships, loyalty and what not. He though it’s better if he lives his life on his own without all the drama; as he have always been since young. Students who walk in his path would scurry away and made way for him, no one dares to make eye contact with him or do they have the gut to annoy him. Just one small matter that ticks Eli off and he blows his top off. Yes, indeed. Being a loner he is, he does have a lot of rage.

            The sound of dragging chairs snapped Eli out of his reverie as the whole class stood to greet their homeroom teacher-every one, except Eli. Eli just leaned back in his chair and threw his bag down after digging in his bag and taking out some random books to make him look like he really is studying in class.

            “Good morning,” the teacher greeted the class. Her eyes landed on Eli, used to the cold treatment, she shook it off and faced the class again.

            “So, today, after so long, your classmate is back to be with us again. He have to stop attending school for a while, but now that he’s back, I hope you guys will help him on things that he missed while he was away,” the teacher explained.

            A small, slim high school student skips into the classroom with a cheerful smile on his face.

            “I hope you guys would take good care of me!” Kevin chirped as he bowed and clasp his pretty bony fingers together.

            “Kevin, take your seat.” The teacher instructed him before starting to call out the students name for attendance taking.

            Kevin took his seat in front of Eli. The moment his touched the chair, he literally bounced in his seat to turn to face a bored Eli facing to the whiteboard; expressionless.

            “Long time no see, Eli” Kevin greeted Eli as he ruffled Eli’s hair.

            “Hm. Whatever,” Eli exhales, his eyes fixed on the board.

            So, everyone in the school is afraid to start a conversation, hang out or just say ‘Hi’ to Eli. Well, almost everyone except Kevin. In fact, Kevin is the only one who always stuck next to Eli’s side, no matter. They may not seem to have that close of a relationship. Usually, Kevin would be the one babbling on and on while Eli carry on the expressionless face as they walk, not even bothered to make an effort to respond.

            Eli was no longer annoyed at the irritating boy who would only follow him wherever he goes since the day they stepped into high school. Eli has gotten used to it, to the extend, he’d feel empty without Kevin’s company.

            “What have you been up to when I’m gone?” Kevin asked as the teacher left the class, leaving them to another lesson.

            “This and that,” Eli mumbled. He looked at Kevin with an annoyed expression. “Where have you been any way?” Eli snapped.

            Kevin’s expression changed he slowly looked down. Confused, Eli kicks Kevin’s leg prompting for an answer. Kevin shook his head and looked back at Eli.

            “Oh, somewhere, to clear my mind,” Kevin replied, chewing on his lips and forcing a smile.

            “Clear your mind? In the middle of the semester? Yeah right.” Eli scoffed. Kevin was definitely hiding something, but Eli shook it off. There must be a reason why he hides it. Eli trusted Kevin enough to wait until Kevin is ready to tell him.

            But that time never came because as soon as that conversation was over, Eli completely forgets about it. That’s just how simple Eli’s mind work, the less problems, the better.