Life

Take Me Away

Kevin’s wandered soul returned to the body that lay lifeless and weak, breathing life back into the ailing man. Kevin slowly opened his eyes; almost blinded by the light shining in his room. His body sore and numb from being bedridden for so long; it even hurts to move a muscle. Slowly, Kevin moved his fingers then wriggled his toes. He gently turned his head to his left, to see Eli laying his head down on Kevin’s bed side.

            Kevin lifted his arm; weird looking wires attached to his skin, Kevin flinched as the pain shot up to his head. He the sleeping man’s head, his face peaceful as if his sleep is dreamless. Until Kevin saw a tear escapes from Eli’s closed eyes. He’s crying in his sleep. Eli furrowed his brow as if in pain.

            “Kevin, don’t go,” Eli whispered in his sleep, another tear made its way down to the bed sheet.

            “Eli, I’m right here,” Kevin croaked, his throat dry, as he speaks beneath the oxygen mask.

            Kevin’s hand moved to touched Eli’s cheeks, wiping the endless flow of tears escaping that man’s eyes. Subconsciously, Eli’s hand moved towards his own cheeks as he grabbed the cold hand and held it close to his face. The tears immediately stopped, replaced by a smile.

            “Kevin~” Eli murmured.

            The sight of his dishevelled best friend made Kevin’s heart hurt. Stubbles are beginning to grow on his chin, his hair unkempt his clothes rumpled; never in Kevin’s life has he ever seen Eli this messy. Just how long have I been unconscious?

            Eli noticed his hand holding on to something foreign and cold; something he wasn’t holding on to when he fell asleep. But it felt so familiar at the same time. A name suddenly came to mind- Kevin. Eli jerked up from his sleep as his eyes catches the two intertwined arms. Eli looked up, to be greeted by Kevin who was looking down at him, the softest smile formed on his pale, dry and cracked lips.

            “Kevin!” Eli quickly stood up as he leaned closer to Kevin, one hand still linked while the other removed the oxygen mask.

Eli traced Kevin’s jaw line, Nose Bridge then his lips. Eli breathed out the breath he never knew he was holding; still unable to believe the fact that the person that Eli has been praying about is back to life. God has finally answered his prayers; Eli silently prayed a thank you in his heart as he leans closer to Kevin and pressed their foreheads together.

            “I missed you.” Eli choked out tears of happiness.

            “Me too,” Kevin smiled.

            “Hm, everything looks healthy at the moment. But we must still keep an eye on his progress. He is still very weak but we still have to make him undergo some treatments. You know, so the cancerous cells won’t multiply as fast,” Dr. Lee informed Eli. He then explained of the treatment Kevin would be receiving more explicitly to Eli.

            “Thank you so much for your hard work,” Eli thanked the doctor, bowing in gratitude.

            “Take care of him well. Make him happy, smile, stress-free. That’s how you can help.” Dr. Lee advised as he ushered Eli out of his office.

            “So? What did the doctor say?” Kevin asked as he saw Eli entered the room.

            The life support system has been withdrawn so the only wire attached to him is the IV drop. Kevin looked slightly better, his cheeks have regained its colour and his lips were no longer dry.          

            Eli on the other hand was forced out of the hospital by Kevin’s constant nagging about him being dirty and messy. He gave up and went home to change to a fresh new clothes, as he washes himself up and catches up on his sleep before returning back to visit Kevin.

            “Well, he said I have to stick right by you all the time,” Eli smirked as he made his way to Kevin’s bed.

            “Aw man. I’m going to get sick of seeing you every day. Ah, how annoying!” Kevin pouted.

            “Time for lunch!” The nurse in charge held a tray of porridge, an apple and plain water, placing it on the bedside table.

            “Thank you, So Hee-ah,” Eli winked, making the nurse blush as she left the room.

            Eli adjusted Kevin’s bed as he helped Kevin to sit up. Kevin eyed on his best friend who has always been popular with the girls.

            “There you go again,” Kevin rolled his eyes as he played around with the food.

            “What? Kevin-ah, stop playing with your food!” Eli stopped Kevin as he snatch the spoon out of Kevin’s grasp.

            “But I’m sick of it! It’s tasteless, bland and all the no-taste adjectives I can ever find in the dictionary!” Kevin whined as he threw his tantrums.

            Eli sighed as he scooped a little of the chicken porridge and fed it too Kevin who is acting like a small child.

            “Say AHHHH~ The plane is coming!”

            “ELI! I am no longer a small boy.”

            “Well, you still are to me. Come on, open up. It’s CHICKEN!” Eli cooed as he shoved the spoonful of porridge into Kevin’s reluctantly opened mouth.

________________________

A/N: YAY! SUBCRIBERS! <3 HEH