Transplant

Take Me Away

“Good Morning, Eli!” Kevin rushed over to the man standing dumfounded by the door. He ruffled Eli’s hair before jumping onto him for a hug.

“Whoa- Kevin! “ Eli almost loses his balance as his left feet took a step backwards, carrying the light boy and turning him like a small kid.

Kevin looked healthier; his face had return to its colour, cheeks pink of health. His lips are no longer dry and chapped but he is still as skinny as a pole. Kevin hopped down from Eli after taking in his best friend’s scent and nuzzling his nose on the crook of his neck. Eli cleared his throat as he looked at Kevin beaming, showing his straight row of white pearls.

“Feeling better?” Eli asked as he walked over to the couch next to Kevin’s bed.

“Uh-huh,” Kevin nods as he sat on his bed. “Much better, actually!”

Eli breathed out a loud sigh as he rolled his head to the back. How do I break the news to him? Eli ran his hand down his hair as he cringe his nose.

“You have something on your mind, Eli?” Kevin mumbled as he drew circles on his bed sheets.

“Aren’t you happy I got better, Eli?” Kevin asked again, still drawing circles on his bed sheets because Eli isn’t responding.

“Eli pbabo.” Kevin pouted as he still drew circles.

Eli broke from his reverie as he heard Kevin calling him a fool. He smirked as he took Kevin’s hands into his, lifting up his chin to face him.

“What did you say?” Eli smirked.

“Pbabo.” Kevin mumbled, refusing to meet his eyes.

Eli took a deep breath before facing Kevin again, turning the younger boy’s face to meet his eyes.

“Kevin, go for it.”

“Go for?” Kevin looked at Eli clueless.

“Please don’t pretend anymore, Kev. I know what the doctor told you. Just get the god damn transplant.” Eli hissed, a little annoyed as Kevin is not considering his own life that might be in danger.

“Transplant?” Kevin bit his lower lip as he looked down, fiddling with his fingers.

“The bone marrow transplant, god damn it!” Eli raised his voice as he buried his face on his hands, taking breaths to calm himself down. Why am I getting all angst?

Kevin was stupefied by Eli’s sudden blow of rage towards him. He knew that the transplant was the best for him as he foresees himself undergoing harsh chemo in his condition. He just needs some time to think, to take it all in slowly. It’s been almost a month since he started his terrifying stay at the hospital where everyday seems like a battle of survival to him. His body which deteriorates in pain with every time he had his chemotherapy, he only recently managed to get use to it. Just when he thought, it’s almost over for him; his doctor suggested the Bone Marrow transplant.

Kevin clenched the edge of his bed tight as he tried to stifle his sobs as he speaks. His head hung low his heart beating faster. It was what he always call it the ‘chemo-effect’ his unpredictable mood swings and how the littlest thing of annoyance might trigger fury in him. He lost control of his emotions like how he also loses his own appetite to eat with just that chemo.

“I badly want that transplant, Eli. God know how much I want to! But there are many others out there who also share the same fate as me; they too await donors to cure themselves. Some needs it even more than I do! They have dreams to fulfil and family to be fed, a lover to return to!”

“There you go again,” Eli muttered.

Kevin simple ignored and continued to speak his mind. He just has to have this off his chest. Eli needs to know why.

“While I have everything I need, right in front of me. I have nothing much to live for. My mum’s long gone and I have let go of my dreams to be a doctor. I have you and I only need you, Eli. That’s more than enough for me. You’re already my happiness and the reason I go to sleep every night with a smile. God’s greatest gift to me was just you and I’m thankful for that. I won’t ask for more.”

  “But Kevin, what if-“

“What if there’s a suitable donor just for me?” Kevin knelt down in front of Eli as he the boy’s face with his bony fingers. Eli looked away to the window, afraid if he met the gaze of his best friend, his eyes would betray him. He simply nodded.

“I’d consider, until then. I’d just live with the happiness you shower me.” Kevin tilted Eli’s head to face him and pressed their forehead together.

“You do know that the pain of losing you is enough to kill me right?” Eli mumbled as he leaned in to kiss Kevin on his forehead.

“You’ll survive, Eli.” Kevin smiled as he hugged his best friend, again, nuzzling his nose on the crook of Eli’s neck.

Kevin, why do you always have to put others before yourself? Sometimes, I just wish you could be a little more selfish to save your own live instead of others. Do they even know a soul as kind as you even existed? Why the sacrifice for those strangers you never met before? Kevin, just why?

________________________________________

A/N: i'm sorry i took forever to update another chapter. yay, kill me now. many things have been going on and i just cnt find the right mood to come out with a decent chapter. D: boo. DID YOU GUYS CHECK OUT U-KISS NEW MV YET? FORBIDDEN LOVE, yay y kiseop! <3 i'll try to update another two chapters by th end of th week. im prolly gna start work soon.so yeah. love yooo all. D: