Solace

Take Me Away

Eli waited anxiously at the waiting area of the hospital. Doctors and nurses were going from one ward to another, a few nurses attending to patients helping them to walk around. The endless ringing of the buzzer as some patient from some ward needed assistance immediately resulting to nurses to stop whatever they are doing and head to the patients bed almost in a blink of an eye. Visitors walk in and out. It’s just another busy day at a typical hospital and there Eli was, shifting in his seat as he awaits Dr. Lee to call for him into his office.

            After what seems like an eternity, Dr. Lee stepped out of his office and nodded at Eli, inviting him to the office that he had frequent almost months when Kevin was in the hospital. Dr. Lee motioned Eli to take a seat at the couch in his spacious office before flipping through a few papers as he pursed his lips, creasing his eyebrows and letting out a sigh. Not good.

            “So?” Eli finally broke the silence as he stared intently at the doctor.

            “So, the results are out,” Dr. Lee shuts the file he was holding and took a seat opposite Eli.

            “And?” Eli pressed on, clearly annoyed at the suspense.

            “Negative,” Dr. Lee simply said as he shook his head.

            “Which means?” Eli was now on the verge of flipping the table infront of him.

            “This simply means you are not eligible to donate your bone marrow to Kevin, Eli.”

            Chances to save Kevin grew thinner as he actually hopes to be of some help to Kevin. Just having the name ‘Kevin Woo’ within the many names in the waiting list for donors is taking too much time and his dearest friend needs to get better-fast. Eli clenched his fist as Dr. Lee offer no other options to help poor Kevin after breaking the news to him.

            Eli ran out of ways to help Kevin live a little longer. His very last hope, to donate his very own bone marrow was abandoned. What makes his already weary heart bleeds more was the fact he was clueless about his very own best friend’s whereabouts not his condition- it has been three weeks and Kevin showed no signs of returning back to him.

            “Kevin Woo you little liar.” Eli hissed as he dragged his feet out of the hospital.

            Eli let his feet take him anywhere as he lost his sense of directions after running out of places to look for Kevin. Dr. Lee refuses to tell him Kevin’s appointment dates when he came to the hospital saying how it was confidential. The nurses, no matter how charismatic Eli was flirting with them to try to dig out some information on Kevin they were too preoccupied setting up days and time to go on dates with Eli and disclose nothing about Kevin. Eli went to places where Kevin always hangs around, he even tried waiting outside of Kevin’s home but he couldn’t catch even a glimpse of Kevin. In fact, the house even looks unoccupied for years.

            “What happen to him? Is he alright? Is he doing fine? And most of all, did his heart ache for me as he miss me like I am right now?” Eli thought as he crack his brain to come out with any other places he could think of.

            Eli was on the brink of giving up when he found himself walking some place very familiar. He didn’t stop to think if it was the right way, he just keep on going because somehow, Eli don’t know how but deep inside him, he knows he is going the right way. The strong feeling in him grew as he took each step closer to his destination-somewhere where he knew definitely he will once again be reunited with Kevin. He just knows. With the thought of Kevin, smiling back at him- that beautiful smile of his that never fail to bring warmness into Eli’s soul, he quickened his pace, with each stride he took, his heart races faster.

            Eli climbed up the hill. His energy almost draining out, but it was the thought ofmaybe meeting Kevin made dissolves all the tiredness in him. The sun finally sets as a vast field greeted the Eli, the bright coloured flowers stands out more as the Moon shone its light onto it. Eli walked towards the only tree on top of the hill and sat on the swing that was made out of tyre, scanning his surroundings as he slowly swings himself forward.

            He let out a sigh. This was the last place Eli could ever think of to at least sniff out Kevin’s scent. No sign of Kevin here. Disappointment and loneliness embraced Eli in the night. He stood up from the swing at walk towards the middle of the field, running his hands on the tall grass that reaches up to his knee. He stopped when he reached the very spot he lay down and felt Kevin’s eyes on him the first time that boy brought Eli to his very own private refuge when Kevin needs a break from the world. Eli lay down as he was between the two things that his dear Kevin love- the grassy plains underneath him and the stars, moon and the night sky right above him. Eli star-gazed as he freed his entangled mind.

            “Kevin. Just where are you?” Eli whispered as a tear made its dignified way out of Eli’s eyes. He blinked them away as he slowly closed his eyes and shuts himself to the world.

            ‘Just for tonight, let me treat my own pain and find solace in the place where I can feel Kevin’s presence the strongest.’

 

_________________________________________________

A/N: HAHA. i totally did not proof read this. :D grammar police arrest me now, i plead guilty as charged! :D HAHA. YAY FINALLY IM UPADATING. i cnt sleep when i get home from work today. D: so here is one chapter!