Chapter 10

Reading Writing Romance

Ewon

"Do you really think a party for Wooyoung is a good idea?" Ewon and Nichkhun were sitting at the island in the kitchen making deviled eggs, which were Jay's favorite.

"I think it's a good idea for Wooyoung to meet his family. He already knows Junho since he was Wooyoung's kindergarten teacher. He might even know Jay and Gain from school.

Ewon had wondered the same thing. He'd also wondered how the other kids would react to a boy who played with princess dolls and sparkly pink horses. 

"I can see the worry etched all over your face, Ewon." Nichkhun dropped what he was doing and pulled Ewon into his arms.

Aside from being a father and cotton candy flavored ice cream, Nichkhun's hugs were the best thing on earth. He felt a bit of his tension ebb away when he rested his face against Nichkhun's broad chest.

Of course Nichkhun's hard chest brought its own unique problems in the form of something else that was also getting hard.

Ewon kept thinking about kissing Nichkhun. It had been amazing when Nichkhun kissed him back and didn't run away this time. He couldn't help thinking how romantic it was to kiss the handsome doctor on the beach. Predictably, Doctor Perfect had perfect, delicious lips.

"What if Jay and Gain don't like Wooyoung? What if he doesn't like them? What if this many people overwhelms him? What if he throws a tantrum? What if-" before Ewon could finish his next worry, he found Nichkhun's lips pressed to his own.

Ewon whimpered when Nichkhun's strong hands came up to cup the sides of his face.

Nichkhun took advantage of Ewon's moan and swept his tongue into his husband's mouth.

It wasn't y, but Ewon felt his knees start to go rubbery. Nichkhun must have sensed it too because he dropped his hands from Ewon's face to wrap around his middle.

"You gonna make it?" Nichkhun whispered into his ear.

Nichkhun's breath against his earlobe drove Ewon crazy. He wanted to drag Nichkhun up the stairs and have his wicked way with him, but then he remembered Wooyoung was sitting on the living room floor playing with his ponies.

"Are you kissing each other?" Wooyoung asked, suddenly sounding like he was much closer than the living room.

Nichkhun pulled away from Ewon far enough to turn his head. He looked like he had no idea what to say.

Ewon wasn't about to use this moment to break into the gay version of the birds and the bees, but still had to answer Wooyoung's question "Daddies who are happy together give each other kisses, right, Khunnie?"

"That's right. Ewon was a little worried about something and I wanted him to know everything was gonna be fine."

Wooyoung leaned across the kitchen island, on his elbows, using his hands to cup his chin "What were you worried about?"

Ewon kicked his foot against Nichkhun's. He didn't want to tell Wooyoung all of his worries were about him "Well, there are a lot of people coming to meet you today." 

Wooyoung seemed to study Ewon "Why?"

"You're the newest member of our family and they all want to meet you." Nichkhun wrapped an arm around Ewon.

"What if no one likes me?"

Ewon had previously thought all of Wooyoung's rejections were like tiny daggers to the heart. This question was the mother lode. Ewon was in so much pain it was hard to breathe.

"Everyone is going to love you, Youngie. Just like Daddy Won-Won and I love you. Come on, what's not to love? You're handsome and funny and you love princesses and pretty ponies."

Ewon nodded, normally he would blush hearing the nickname Jay gave him from Nichkhun's mouth. But hearing their son confirm his worst fear shook his confidence. To be fair though, every child he'd ever known professionally worried about other kids not liking them. It was a normal thing kids went through. There was just so much riding on this day.

He opened his mouth to further reassure Wooyoung when the doorbell rang.

"Here we go!" Nichkhun ran off toward the front door, while Wooyoung looked nervously between Ewon and the direction Nichkhun had gone.

"Hello, Khun! Where's my new grandson?" Hwang Narsha asked. 

Ewon sighed. He had a feeling Narsha and Kwanghee would be the first people to show up. Narsha had assured them that she and Kwanghee loved Wooyoung already. Ewon thought that kind of unconditional love was exactly what Wooyoung needed.

"I'd like to introduce you to our son, Wooyoung." Nichkhun ushered them into the kitchen.

Wooyoung was looking curiously at the newcomers.

Ewon and Nichkhun had showed Wooyoung pictures of everyone last night, so the little boy should know who Narsha and Kwanghee were.

"Hi, Wooyoungie. I'm Grams and this is Pop-Pop."

"I saw your picture yesterday. Ewon said you bought the ponies and princesses for me."

Narsha pulled out a barstool one seat away from Wooyoung, leaving an empty seat between them "I did." Narsha was smiling from ear-to-ear "Did you have fun playing with them?"

Wooyoung nodded "Do I have to give them back?"

Narsha shot Ewon a shocked look, but turned a calm look back to Wooyoung "No, honey, the toys are all yours." 

Wooyoung seemed to be thinking that over.  He slid over into the empty seat "I really liked all of the ponies and the princesses. I even slept with the princess blanket."

Narsha sniffled and reached a hand out to card through Wooyoung's hair "I'm so glad. One day soon, we'll go shopping together and have lunch, okay?"

"Why?"

Ewon cringed. He looked over at Nichkhun who was watching Wooyoung and Narsha with a fascinated look on his face.

"Because I'm your Grams and I love you."

Wooyoung nodded and hopped down from the stool. He ran back into the living room, stopping short and turning around "Do you wanna play ponies with me, Grams?"

Narsha's face lit up "I sure do!" she gave thumbs up to Ewon and Nichkhun and headed off to play with Wooyoung.

"Grandmothers are something special, huh, boys?" Kwanghee grinned at his wife fondly.

"Miracle workers in sensible shoes." Ewon laughed. When Junho had started dating Chansung last year, Narsha had been like a big mother hen, welcoming Junho, Jun and himself into her brood. Watching her now playing with Wooyoung and slowly earning the boy's trust was priceless. 

 

svgimg0001.svg  svgimg0001.svg  svgimg0001.svg  svgimg0001.svg

 

Nichkhun

Nichkhun wasn't afraid to admit Jun was a better grill master than he was. Part of the problem was that Nichkhun was paying more attention to what was going on with Wooyoung than he was to what was going on with the food on the grill. Several hot dogs had paid the burnt and crispy price.

Now that Jun had taken over the grill, it left Nichkhun more time to keep his eyes on the kids and Ewon, who he noticed had the tendency to hover. He hadn't quite decided if Ewon was going to be a helicopter father or a tiger father. Nichkhun was kind of hoping for a combo of the two.

"Soooo." Jun sing-songed "How's it going?"

"Wooyoung still thinks were going to send him back to his foster family."

"Jesus Christ. I wasn't talking about Wooyoung, but damn. I feel so bad for the little guy." Jun rubbed his hand against his chest as if to soothe his aching heart.

Nichkhun was confused. If Jun wasn't talking about Wooyoung who was he talking about?

Oh...Ewon. Nichkhun would much rather talk about Wooyoung.

Nichkhun could see Jay and Wooyoung running around the yard together. It looked like Jay was pretending to be a T-Rex. Wooyoung was galloping around and occasionally neighing. He assumed Wooyoung was pretending to be a pretty pony.

"I have complete faith in you and Ewon as fathers. Whatever trust issues Wooyoung brought with him into your house won't last long." Jun sounded sure of himself.

Nichkhun trusted what Jun was telling him. Like Nichkhun and Ewon, Jun had become an instant father back in January when Gain's mother lost her battle with cancer. Gain had some pretty serious anger issues to conquer and thanks to Jun's constant love and Taecyeon smoothing the way, Gain was happily helping to plan her Daddies' Thanksgiving wedding.

"Now, tell me what's going on with you and Ewon." Jun waggled his eyebrows at Nichkhun.

Nichkhun shrugged. Jun wasn't going to let this go easily. He was like a dog with a bone when he dug his heels in. Nichkhun knew he needed to give Jun something "We're getting to know each other better."

"With your tongues?"

"Jesus Christ! Ewon told you?" Nichkhun was going to have a serious discussion with his husband about how loose lips sink ships. If Jun knew, then so did Taecyeon. Hell, if Taec knew then Junho and Chansung did too. Most of Seoul probably knew. 

Jun burst out laughing "No, numbskull! Ewon didn't tell me, you did, just now."

Nichkhun buried his hands in his face. Now he really needed to give Jun something "I kissed him. It was nice." nice was a mild way to describe what it had felt like to kiss Ewon.

"Not for nothing, but we haven't been pushing you and Ewon together for s and giggles. Junho was the first one to see how good for each other you could be if you would both open up. I'm guessing you've had a lot of time to talk about some things?"

"We've mostly talked about Wooyoung. He has some challenges that neither of us were aware of that need to be dealt with."

"I get that, Khun. I really do, but I think your relationship with Ewon is just as important. You both have a lot of stressful things going on with the wedding and adopting Wooyoungie. Don't let whatever is growing between you to get lost in shuffle and stress of what's happening in your busy lives."

Jun had a point "How do you and Taec make time for each other when you're not being fathers?"

"We're always fathers, but I know what you mean. Two nights a week, Taecyeon and I go to bed when Gain does. Some nights we talk about things going on in our heads or we have red, hot . Other nights we just hang out and cuddle. You can't always have your Daddy hat on or be doing the dishes or whatever you guys do at night." 

"Before Wooyoung came to stay with us, we'd hang out in different rooms."

"That makes you sound like an old married couple. Try my suggestion one night a week. See what happens between the two of you. I'm guessing there will be more kissing in your future."

Nichkhun definitely wanted more kissing in his future, but that didn't stop him from worrying about their relationship "Yeah, but what happens if it doesn't work out with me and Ewon?"

"Khun, none of us knows what the future holds. Being in a marriage is serious business. I know you and Ewon are doing this for Wooyoung, but it's still a marriage. People break up and make up for all kinds of reasons. You need to be honest with each other. Tell Ewon what scares you. Get him to open up to you about himself and be willing to open up to him. You'll thank me later."

Nichkhun nodded. He'd been there for Taec two years ago when a misunderstanding caused Jun to break up with him. His best friend had been a hot mess. There were days when Taecyeon called in sick to work and others when he'd lay in bed and cry all day. It was fine for Taec because he was childless at the time.

If something went wrong between him and Ewon, Wooyoung would be plopped square in the middle. Then it would be custody arrangements and lawyers and child support payments. Just thinking about breaking up with Ewon was making his head hurt. 

What was making his heart hurt though, was the thought of being too afraid to get closer to Ewon because of something that might or might not happen in the future.

Jun was right when he said that he and Ewon needed to open up to each other. Maybe he'd take the first step toward that tonight.