C 01

A Second Chance at Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The cold billowing wind once again tugged at Misun’s waist length hair as she walked briskly across the road to the nearest bus stop. She looked around herself and saw other people  tightly wrapped in coats and scarfs just like her in an attempt to protect themselves from the biting cold.

It was winter in Seoul , not to mention ,chilling to the bones. But that didn’t dampen Misun’s boss’s spirits , who made sure that his employees worked their asses off every single day. Misun worked as the sub editor in chief for one of the most popular weeklys of South Korea. Despite her young age, her boss Ji Young decided to scout her out and give her a try when he found out her true potential at a writing contest two years back, which had called him over as one of the judges. Even though she didn’t make it to the top three, her prowess in writing was quite evident for everyone to see and Ji Young made sure that she got recruited to their company before anyone else could lay their hands on her.

Misun absolutely loved her work as she always wanted to be a writer ever since she took up journalism as her major. She especially enjoyed writing the editorial column of the magazine she worked for and there was a steady increase of five percent in the sales of the magazine ever since she was given a permission to write the  column regularly. Even though her salary was not that great, it was enough to cover her monthly expenses and her job gave her great sense of satisfaction and she was happy.

The arrival of her bus made her sigh in relief as she was sure that couple more minutes out in the cold would definitely make her numb to the bone. The warmth inside the bus was as comfortable as Misun had imagined and she contentedly sat herself in an empty seat towards the back of the bus.

As was her routine, she took her phone to check for any new notifications waiting for her since she had a full half an hour until her destination. Her heart thudded when she saw a notification on her lock screen which indicated that a text was waiting for her. It couldn’t be him…..

Misun eagerly checked who the text was from and let out a groan when she found out that it was from her brother Kris.

“Hey, kiddo.

I won’t be able to come home today. The chief doctor is out on vacation and so I got logged in for an emergency surgery tonight. It might take all night since it is quite complicated.

So, don’t wait for me and have dinner as soon as you get back from work. Okay?

 If I’m lucky I will get the day off tomorrow.

Love you.”

Misun quickly sent an ‘Okay’ to her brother before locking her phone and slumping on her seat disappointed.

Kris was the only person left who she can call family. When she was only eighteen years old, her parents met with an accident and passed away leaving behind Kris and Misun to fend for themselves.  Kris and Misun were not actually blood related. Kris was adopted before Misun was born. But that didn’t stop the kids from becoming inseparable siblings. Kris was no doubt the best brother anyone could ever have. He cared deeply for Misun and if Misun was being honest with herself, he took care of her better than her own parents. He currently worked as one of the top surgeons in Seoul Hospital and worked as a part time lecturer in the Hospital’s med School.

Misun got off at her stop and made her way to the towering building in front of her. The receptionist nodded at her in a friendly manner as she passed the front desk and made her way to the elevators.

“Hey Misun, Morning!!” A guy who was already waiting in front of the elevators called out , smiling sleazily.

“Morning.” Misun politely greeted him back.

“So, I was thinking……are you free this evening?” He asked, peeking sideways at Misun.

“What for?” Misun asked, carefully keeping her voice devoid of any emotions.

“There is this nice Italian Restaurant just around the corner. Why don’t we go out for dinner there?” He smiled again.

“How many times do I have to tell you that there is absolutely no point in taking me out for dinner? My answer is still a big fat NO. You do know that I have a boyfriend.” Miran said, exasperatedly.

“Exactly.” Youngjae said briskly. “Why are you even dating that guy? Please tell me when was the last time you talked to him in person, huh? He doesn’t even care about whether you are still alive or not let alone date you. Just end things with him and start afresh with me.” He winked and gave a winning smile which strongly urged Misun to smack his face in.

“I know Jongin has his reasons for not coming to see me. He is quite busy with his work. I’m an understanding girlfriend and definitely won’t throw a tantrum like an elementary school girl just because he stood me up a couple of times. Besides, what’s between me and Jongin is definitely not your business. So, why don’t you shut up about my boyfriend and get on with your business?”

“Suit yourself. But don’t cry when he meets you in person and finally asks to break up with you.” Youngjae said with a dead serious look on his face.

Just then the elevator door pinged open and Misun quickly got in and when the doors were about to close, she stuck up her middle finger at Youngjae.

“Why are you in a grumpy mood?” Shin-ah, one of Misun’s co-worker called out from her cubicle as Misun passed it and dropped herself on her seat.

“Youngjae again?” She asked knowingly as she gauged Misun’s bad mood.

Misun nodded. Before the two could start on a healthy dose of  dissing Younngjae, some one came and tapped on top of Misun’s cubicle divider.

“Mr.Kwon!” She hastily stood up and greeted her boss. Shin-ah followed suit.

“Misun, I’ve sent you the articles that I want you to review again. We are going to feature them on this week’s edition. So finish reviewing them by evening. Because, we have to send them over to the press  tonight.” He patted Misun  on her back , nodded at Shin-ah and went back to his room.

“Boss is planning to kill you, I think.” Shin-ah commented as they took their seats and got to work.

“You bet.” Misun groaned.

And just like that Misun got to work and the reviewing of the articles went on until lunch.  Once she was done making corrections, she forwarded all the edited articles for peer reviewing (other employees in her same rank would read them again for further corrections), which she greatly approved of, since it ensured less errors in the final print. Another thing she liked about her company is their no paper policy. All editing and reviewing were done online and were sent back and forth through LAN connection established throughout the building. Print outs were taken only for getting approval from the boss and also when the final layout of the entire magazine is completely done and confirmed to be sent to the press.

“Let’s go grab some lunch.” Shin-ah said stretching her arms and flexing her fingers when it was time for lunch.  Misun nodded in agreement,  got up and followed Shin-ah out. There was a small shop in the same street as their company which they frequently visited for lunch. On other days, they take it in turns to bring lunch boxes from home and share it. As they were having their lunch ,Misun’s phone started ringing.

“Might be kris.” Misun muttered.

“Misun, can you hook me up with your brother?” Shin-ah said, with a look that clearly said that she was smitten by Kris. Misun scoffed. Of course, that was a given. Kris used to be the most sought after guy back in the time when he was still in uni. With his model like looks , it was only a matter of seconds for girls to drool over him after they first set eyes on him. His deep and husky voice only made matters worse. Misun still remembered those days when she was equally stalked by Kris’s fangirls in an attempt coax his number from her. She thought that things would calm down when kris finally landed a job at Seoul Hospital, only to be disappointed. Now, female doctors, nurses and even the receptionists were all over him. Misun even had a nasty suspicion that Kris slightly enjoyed all the attention, because he never took an effort to be less conspicuous. It was hard to not to notice him in the hospital hallway, what with his towering height and strikingly blond wavy hair which he had a habit of ruffling from time to time. It was irritating in Misun’s eyes, but oh well, what she thought didn’t even matter most of the time and whenever she went to the hospital to visit Kris on days when he had night shifts, she was always referred to as ‘that’s hot doctor’s sister’.

Grumbling to herself, Misun picked up the phone without even checking the caller ID.

“Baby.” A husky voice said from the other end and Misun became a pile of goo. It’s been a year and a half since she started dating Jongin but his voice never failed to make her heart thud erratically in her chest. It was like the  he confessed to her all over again.

She lo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter