Injeolmi

Third Time's a Charm

A/N: I’m sorry everyone but this is the only update I will be making this week as I am going to a concert and I have a friend coming over. I hope you enjoy the chapter though!


 

 

 

 

“Injunnie!”

 

The sun filled the sky with light and the air with warmth on that summer day as they run through the grass. It was just the four of them together again after two years of being away from each other. College had separated their lives, but it hadn’t separated their hearts and all the worries of the past had been forgotten over the years. Renjun ran after Chenle who made a bee line for the tall oak tree in the park.

 

After they graduated high school the four found themselves wishing for just a little more time together. Jeno and Chenle would be leaving for different countries to study while Jaemin and Renjun stayed and attended school in the country. The first two years of college had been hard for them all, but they kept going as they remembered the promise they all made to each other before the summer had ended. Knowing that they intended to have a whole summer together, like they did as kids, kept them motivated.

 

“I beat you again Ge. You’re getting old, aren’t you?”

 

“I’m only a year older than you, shut up.”

 

Chenle and Renjun lay down in the grass, staring up at the brilliant blue sky above their heads. The day had been perfect in every possible way; Jeno and Chenle had arrived on time, they walked around the city together and talked about memories. Even though time had kept them apart they talked and acted as if nothing had changed between them.

 

“Nana, how’s college going for you so far?”

 

Said male had walked over to the boys laying on the ground with Jeno by his side. While they had spent much time speaking about the past and how they missed each other, the question of current live affairs hadn’t come up. In the moment they had all been too excited to see each other and questions were overlooked. Though it didn’t bother any of them, it was just a joy to be out on such a nice day with good friends.

 

“Ah, that’s a good question. I think I’m doing alright though. Injeolmi has been much better than me though.”

 

“Why are you like this?”

 

Renjun pouted up at the ginger haired boy who’s only response was to smile, showing his perfectly white teeth and cute cheeks. Over the years the two had grown extremely close and acted more as brothers than friends. With Jeno and Chenle in different countries they had each other to rely on more often. Neither resented the two for leaving the country, in fact they were surprised those two had lasted through high school before leaving.

 

“It’s true though, you have much better scores than me. I don’t know how you do it sometimes.”

 

“Unlike you Nana, I get sleep and don’t stay up late.”

 

“Hey, in my defense I actually had to work on a project that time.”

 

“Oh yeah, just like that time you stayed up until five in the morning to finish writing that essay.”

 

Jeno let out a laugh along with Chenle, who sounded more like a dolphin, at the sound of their friends bickering with each other. It truly felt like the good old times in high school again, when it was them against the world and nothing could stop them.

 

“Wait a second. Where did the name Injeolmi come from?”

 

“It started when we went off to college we had intro week and during one of the activities someone misheard Renjun’s name. They later came up to us and said hello but instead of saying Renjun or Injun, they said injoong.”

 

The four boys laughed until they started crying; it was strange to hear someone call their friend philtrum but also hilarious since that person somehow managed to get the name so wrong. This was only one of many stories the two had about names or misheard words between the native speakers at school and the non-native ones.

 

“After that incident I told them my name and even then, they said it was hard to pronounce. So, we settled on injeolmi.”

 

“Actually, I gave them the idea. You’re soft and squishy like a rice cake.”

 

“Nana, is there something Jeno and I are missing?”

 

“Huh?”

 

Both Jaemin and Renjun looked at each other, then at the two in front of them. It didn’t seem like anything had been missed in the conversation but maybe, just maybe, one of them slipped up. The ginger haired male gave the others a very perplexed expression while the black-haired male seemed to be replaying the last few minutes in his head to try and find the missing piece.

 

“Oh, never mind. You guys have gotten close after three years I can see.”

 

“Definitely. We’ve been roommates for all three years.”

 

“Because you requested it after the first roommate you had. Seriously Jaemin how did you deal with that? Girls in the room every day and lots of loud ual noises, I can’t believe you lasted two months with that.”

 

He cringed hard over the memories that flood to the front of his mind; covering his face with his hands. Those two months were rough and shocking because they had been there for such a short amount of time and already boys were sprouting like weeds. It was disgusting behavior in Jaemin’s eyes, he could never see himself being someone to do such horrible things and never settle down with someone.

 

“Oh, that is NASTY. Please tell me he at least washed his hands.”
 

“Unfortunately, Chenle he was not clean in anyway.”

 

“JAFKLSDHOFASD.”

 

“Wow, would you look at that, Chenle, a real-life sim experiencing a malfunction.”

 

“Shut up Jeno. That’s really gross how can you not be disgusted?”

 

“Because I lived with four siblings. In all seriousness though, the ual stuff, that’s nasty and he should have cleaned up.”

 

The serious vibe in the air was broken by a giggling Renjun who seemed to be losing it over something he had thought of. As they watched their friend go from a giggling mess to full on laughter, it was hard not to join in. His laugh has always had this effect on people; it makes them smile and feel warm.

 

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to start laughing. I just thought how odd it was for Chenle, the usually not clean one, to find that disgusting.”

 

“Oh, shut up Renjun. I’m clean.”

 

“It’s true! He’s actually gotten better since going to college. We’ve skyped a couple of times and his side of the room is always clean. I can’t say the same for his roommate though…”

 

“That’s an understatement Jeno. My roommate is apparently a third year but can’t clean up after himself. AND HIS SIDE OF THE ROOM ALWAYS SMELLS LIKE DUDE STOP AND AIR YOUR OUT.”

 

“LANGUAGE!”

 

“WHAT THE WE’RE ALL IN COLLEGE AND JUST BECAUSE I’M THE YOUNGEST OUT OF ALL OF US DOESN’T MEAN YOU OLD MEN GET TO YELL AT ME.”

 

“Sorry, out of habit honestly.”

 

Chenle and Jeno dropped their jaws to the floor in shock, causing Renjun and Jaemin to become even more perplexed than they had been before. Sure, the comment Jaemin had made about Renjun being soft and squishy like a rice cake was weird enough. The two speaking the same sentence was by far worse; for obvious reasons it was disturbing, and it was also highly questionable.

 

“Okay, what did we do wrong this time?”

 

“Are you two dating???”

 

“Chenle.”

 

Jeno promptly smacked the youngest in the back of the head before returning his gaze to Renjun and Jaemin who’s faces had turned a bit red. To the average person, that would have been taken as a solid ‘yes, we are dating but um…’ and then you have Jeno. While the idea seemed somewhat ridiculous, it wasn’t completely out of the question. The two had been acting rather like a couple but without the PDA and kissing, so he could understand where Chenle might have gotten the idea.

 

One thought lingered in the back of his head and would not go away until he addressed it. What bothered Jeno about the idea was that after everything Renjun had been through, he had sworn to never fall in love again. They had talked about the ways things would go once he had come out of surgery and it was decided, by the Chinese male himself, that he would keep his heart cold. Not to say that he would be cold towards his friends, he could never find it in him to not love them but finding that special someone was out of the question. After all the pain he went through and the thought of possibly being cut open again horrified the poor boy.

 

“You know very well I’m not even going near the thought of dating. I’ve understood that it’s just not going to happen and so far, I’ve been quite happy with that. Besides, I have you guys with me.”
 

Jaemin glanced at the older male with a slightly worried expression. The choice that his friend had made was difficult but seemed to be keeping him alive. Then again, what’s a life without love? Things become boring and dull over time, with love there is always something new to experience. What Renjun had gone through though, it was easy to understand why he never wanted to find love. However, it worried the younger greatly and the conversation the two had two years ago crept its way into his mind.

 

Two Years Ago (Freshman Year)

 

“Renjun, can I ask you something?”

 

“Sure Nana.”

 

The two were in their dorm room taking a break from the many hours of studying. Even though finals were still two months out, neither of them desired to find themselves failing classes. It had become a habit of theirs to study together with music and some snacks. Renjun was working on his latest drawing for the advanced class when Jaemin had stopped the flow of words coming from his pencil.

 

“I know we talked about it a little bit, but I’m still curious. Do you still want that fairytale ending?”

 

“In all honestly, I want to say yes but I also have to say no. What happened to me has made me realize that I will never get that ending, so I’ve decided to stop trying. I don’t want to find love anymore because it’s clear that I won’t. I hope that you find love though.”

 

“We’re talking about you not me.”

 

Jaemin let out a slight chuckle, signaling that he wasn’t being too serious in the moment. They stayed silent for a few minutes with only the sound of Renjun’s pencil running over the paper being heard. A smile formed on his lips as he watched the older male make bold but precise with the pencil. There was passion and great joy in every movement and even with his back facing him, Jaemin could tell that this was what Renjun was made to do. There is a reason why he is an artist; he can see the beauty in every aspect of life, but he can’t find it in himself.

 

“You’re quite right. If I think about the idea of love, there are times where I wish for it so badly that my heart aches. Then I remember what I put myself through; what I put you all through. I refuse to do it again.”

 

“Injunnie, you’re not a burden if that’s what you’re trying to say. You’re my best friend and I’m quite fond of you, so please don’t go around saying these things. Especially not to me, Jeno, or Chenle as you know very well that we’ll prove you wrong.”

 

“I know Nana, and I appreciate that.”

 

Present Day

 

“Helloooo, earth to Na Jaemin?? You still with us?”

 

He was so deep into his thoughts he wasn’t aware that Chenle was a foot away from his face. When it sank in he almost slapped the young boy, who luckily dodged it and held out a hand for the older to take. Jaemin gladly took the help, standing up with ease while Renjun and Jeno were a few feet away talking about who knows what.

 

“Hyung, you spaced out for a bit.”
 

“Thank you Captain Obvious.”

 

“Don’t give me that Jaemin. You were thinking about something troubling, I could see it in your eyes.”

 

“I thought about what Renjun had said to me two years back, it was during our freshman year.”

 

“Was it about love?”

 

Jaemin didn’t respond to that, but he knew he wouldn’t have to as Chenle was quite capable of figuring these things out for himself. He nodded his head with the slightest hint of a frown threatening to grace his usually happy face.

 

“I’m taking that as a hard yes. Now I wonder though, do you like Renjun?”