L is for Look

Third Time's a Charm

Jaemin slowly stood up and made his way to Renjun, who had an expectant gaze in his eyes as he watched the younger with intensity. Between the two of them, Jaemin was always up for going the easy route when it came to these games. It was always Renjun who took on the challenges, and unknown to him caused the ginger haired boy to boil with jealousy. Keeping his promise wasn’t easy and the longer the older boy kept toying during these games the worse Jaemin felt.

 

“If there’s one thing you should know about me, Renjun.”

 

He paused, kneeling right in front of a mildly bewildered Renjun while flashing an award winning, but devious smile. Jaemin is the jack of all trades and he knows just how to win over someone so predictable.

 

“You can never expect me to play the same way twice.”

 

Jaemin settled himself right onto Renjun’s lap, smiling sweetly the entire time. He leaned against the older to test what would happen, if anything at all, and found he was welcome to do so. Unfortunately, for the boy under him, nothing less than shock coursed through his veins; this kind of behavior was never “normal” for either of them. It’s not as though Renjun completely opposed the idea of having his best friend sit on his lap but knowing that there was something behind it made him uneasy.

 

“Uh… Well good job then you two. Stay like that for five minutes and Jaemin please spin the bottle.”

 

The next victim it selected was Chenle, who wasn’t paying much attention to the game at hand. From Haechan coming over to spend the night with them, to talking about relationships he realized that not having Jisung around made his days so much worse. While the others had been busy playing the game, he had turned his attention towards his phone to message the latter.

 

“Chenle? Are you okay?”

 

“Oh, yeah… Sorry, is it my turn?”

 

“It is but you seem rather down. Is this not fun?”

 

“No! I love this, but I just really miss someone right now…”

 

Across the circle from him, Sicheng and Kun were busy on their phones; thumbs never stopping for a second. The game was starting to turn into an emotionally charged circle: not the point of spending the night. While the others were all preoccupied, Jaemin noticed that his friend was still stiff under his weight. It seemed a bit odd that Renjun wasn’t relaxed and realized that maybe he wasn’t sitting in the right position. However, they’d cuddled quite a lot in the past which further confused him because it seemed that things had been fine then.

 

“Renjun, am I hurting you?”

 

“Huh?”

 

“Your legs are pretty stiff.”

 

“Um… well usually you and I are sitting on chairs when this happens. I’m really skinny as it is so my ankles kind of get ground into the floor. I’m really alright though.”

 

Renjun wrapped his arms around Jaemin to show that he was perfectly fine, minus his ankles killing him every time he sits on the floor. What he had said wasn’t a lie; after the years of poor health, and a fast metabolism, he really was altogether too skinny which caused his ankles to take more pressure when sitting on the floor. The younger had forgotten some of the physical barriers his friend had to deal with, this being one of them, and decided to change positions.

 

“Why didn’t you say anything sooner? Let’s switch. We still get our bet done and you’re in less pain.”

 

“I’m… kind of heavy Nana.”

“You’re lighter than air, which worries me but that’s not the point right now. Come on, let’s switch.”

 

“I don’t know.”

 

“Hey, Renjun, look at me: I’ll be fine. The longer I sit here the more pain you’ll be in.”

 

With a slight groan and roll of the eyes, Renjun switched places with Jaemin; sitting on the younger boys’ lap and finding it much more comfortable. It was a bit sad to not have his arms wrapped around him anymore, but for the safety of his best friend Jaemin was willing to make that sacrifice. Besides, it felt ten times better to be the one hold him rather than the other way around.

 

“Chenle, I think you’ll like what I have for you to do.”

 

“Then please, do enlighten me oh old and wise one.”

 

“I’m gonna ignore that comment about you calling me old because I know you’ll love me for this. You have to kiss your boyfriend.”

 

“Okay, but tell me Ten, how the does one kiss their boyfriend when their boyfriend isn’t even here?”

 

“Go check the front door and try asking that question once you’ve done so.”

 

“What the fu—”

“JUST GO.”

 

“Okay, okay, yikes. Y’all really want me to do this then fine.”

 

A very displeased and confused Chenle made his way to the front door then looked out the small window at the top. The window left much to be desired, given that he was only able to see a fraction of the outside. He turned his head towards the expecting crowd, pleading silently to have him not do this. No one made a move to help the poor boy out as they sat there with bright eyes. Making one final sweep around the faces, he stopped his gaze right smack on Renjun and Jaemin.

 

“When did you two switch places? It was Jaemin’s task not yours Junnie.”

 

“Bad ankles.”

 

“You two really need to stop saying the same thing at the same time. It’s freaking me out.”

 

“Sorry Hyuck. Anyway, open the door Lele.”

 

With a wave of Jaemin’s hand Chenle finally gave in and swung the door wide open. There sat a black suitcase and an all too familiar black baseball hat. Picking it up, Chenle examined it closely to make sure he wasn’t dreaming about the objects in front of him. Having all of his attention on the hat, he never noticed the figure that slowly approached him from the side. He wrapped his arms around the Chinese male, wearing a warm smile as he spoke quietly.

 

“Hey stranger.”

 

“Jisung?”

 

He held Chenle’s chin between his thumb and pointer finger, lifting it to show the face he had been raving to see for months. For a moment reality slipped away as the two held eye-contact. Jisung searched for something in the eyes of his boyfriend; hoping that the spark was still there.

 

“You heard Ten hyung, give me a kiss you fool.”

 

“I’m older than you.”

 

Leave it to Chenle to ruin a wonderful moment and yet Jisung found that he couldn’t care about that fact. They hadn’t seen each other in a year; the only thing he wanted to do was remember what it felt like to hold and love him again. He tilted his head ever so slightly, moving in carefully in case the other tried to smack him. Once he was sure Chenle wouldn’t move, Jisung connected their lips in a sweet and gentle kiss. It felt as if fireworks had been set off inside his chest: the older moved from shock to pure joy. Without hesitation he wrapped his arms around the younger boy in a tight hug, smiling into the kiss as he finally got what he wanted the most.

 

“You talk too much hyung.”

 

Jisung scrunched his nose as he smiled at the boy in front of him; this was Chenle’s favorite view. Just by looking at the younger, his body felt lighter than air and his spirit could never be broken. It’s the same rush of excitement, anticipation and childlike joy one has when running through grass covered hills in Spring and Summer.

 

“How cute can you both get? Come on in Jisung and join us.”

 

At the sound of Ten’s voice, the two grabbed the suitcase setting it down by the front door before returning to the group still on the floor. When they returned everyone noticed the blush forming under Chenle’s cheeks but decided to not for it. Jisung sat down next to Jeno who hugged him so tightly everyone thought the poor boy would get the life squeezed out of him. Once they sat down Chenle pulled the boy into his arms; oh, how he had missed being able to do such a thing over the past year.

 

“How did you get here?”

 

“I asked him to come. You and Mark seemed to be pretty upset without the greatest loves in your lives, so I figured that this sleepover would be a good way to reconnect.”

 

“Thank you, Kun. Thank you, so much.”

 

The tone Chenle carried in his voice was fragile and genuine; he really was thankful for Kun getting Jisung to come back. No one had realized just how badly he was suffering from a year of his lover’s absence. Then again, only so many people can know what it feels like to be separated for that long.


“Of course, Chenle. I know you missed him dearly, and Jisung, thank you for coming back.”

 

“I’ll have to thank you right back for buying my plane ticket. I missed you all so much.”

 

As he glanced around the room of smiling faces, he couldn’t help but notice the position Renjun and Jaemin were in. The two looked as though they had stepped out of a movie; Jaemin with his arms wrapped protectively around the waist of Renjun. In his mind, they were perfect for each other. Though he too knew that the older had sworn off falling in love for fear of getting hurt again and for fear of hurting everyone in the room once more.

 

“I think this is a good note to end this game on. Let’s move onto Truth or Dare, which I will have you all know I am the best at.”

 

“Hyuck, the last time we played this you screamed like an anime girl.”

 

“That was Renjun, not me Jisung. Get it right.”

 

Jaemin moved his head close to the ear of the boy who sat on his lap, causing a shiver to run down his spine at the words he spoke. Renjun prayed that it had gone unnoticed by the other, which wasn’t the case. The younger boy felt him shake slightly in his hold as he spoke in a low whisper that only he could hear.

 

“You may have the screams of a distressed anime girl, but you’re still adorable.”