V is for Verify

Third Time's a Charm

“You what me to do what now?!”

 

The size of Renjun’s eyes enlarged to dinner plates, staring at the boy across the circle. He searched for something that did not exist in the gaze of his friend; there was only one way out of this.

 

“You know what I said, so do it. We’ll even add background music.”

 

“Chenle, I never signed up for this.”


“Why are you so uptight? This is just a game, nothing more. Also, I think you’re offending Jaemin look at him.”

 

Everyone turned their attention to the boy in question who did indeed seem disturbed, but by no means offended. He knew very well that what he wanted would never come true: not in this life time. Truth be told he secretly hoped that Renjun wouldn’t have reacted in such a way, but he could understand where he came from. Love is the last thing he wants to find.

 

“I’m fine. If he doesn’t want to do it don’t make him.”

 

“It’s a dare Jaemin and he already said he wouldn’t back out of it.”

 

“He can backout if he wants to Lele, he’s not a puppet.”

 

“Okay, that’s enough. Renjun you need to chill the Hell out because this is a game and tonight is supposed to be fun. As for you two, stop bickering like school kids.”

 

Kun usually doesn’t raise his voice at the younger ones and is the most level headed out of the whole group. He’s seen all the fights between the kids, he’s been there to help them through their troubles with no questions asked. This time he wanted to arguments about the game, whether they liked it or not this had to happen.

 

“Kun…”

“Renjun, I love you but let down your walls we are not your enemies. We are your friends.”

 

“Hyung, I don’t see what the big deal is. It’s just a kiss…”

 

“The big deal, Jisung, is that I haven’t kissed anyone before.”

 

“Oooh…”

 

A collective sigh was released from the surrounding boys as they finally understood. Of course the first kiss is special.

 

“Well why didn’t you say so? We didn’t have to get into that whole mess.”

 

“Well Chenle, I thought you guys would have figured it out, but I guess not.”

 

“Sorry Injunnie.”

 

“It’s fine. Though I guess I have to do it since it’s a dare.”

 

“You don’t have to do it, we can give you something else to do.”

 

The others nodded in agreement with the blonde, gazing back at Renjun with almost pleading eyes. If they had thought for a little longer about their plan they certainly wouldn’t be stuck in this awkward fork in the road.Though, the only person whose opinion mattered, other than Renjun’s, was Jaemin.

 

“Why are you all looking at me?”

 

“DUH NANA, you’re the other half in this dare. You’ve never kissed anyone before so… it’s also your choice.”

 

“I’ll let Renjun decide, Hyuck. He’s the one who has to make the move.”

 

“Renjun?”

 

Jeno turned towards his friend half expecting him to reject the dare altogether and ask for a new one. His next choice of words was shocking to say the least.

 

“I’ll do the dare. I might as well do it with someone who actually cares for me.”

 

“What the are we? Roadkill?”

 

“Thank you for the question Hyuck and yes, yes you are.”

 

“Wow Injun. I’m hurt.”

 

“Mark take care of your crybaby boyfriend.”

 

“Someone is snappy today and this time it isn’t Hyuck.”

 

“Jisung I hope you know I could dropkick you.”

 

“You wouldn’t dare.”

 

“Guys… fight later. Renjun, since you’ve decided to do the dare I’m gonna add a twist to it: go into the closet.”

 

“Chenle why?”

 

“Hey man you said you’ve never kissed someone before and I highly doubt you want us to see that so you and Jaemin go into the closet. It’s ten seconds and we’ll know if it happened or not because Jaemin here, isn’t going to lie to us.”

 

“That’s just… Never mind. I’ll yell at you later Chenle.”

 

“You won’t be yelling at me Nana. Now get off your asses you two and get in that closet.”

 

Jaemin leaned closer to Renjun to whisper into his ear; he didn’t want anyone else overhearing.

 

“He sure is excited about this.”

 

“You can say that again.”

 

“Do I have to drag you two, come on.”

 

The young boy was standing by the open closet door, slightly down the hall from where they group sat. They stood up and made their way over to him, hoping to get this over with quickly or at least for Chenle to shut up. Once they were standing in front of the open door, he pushed the boys inside and slammed it shut.

 

“ZHONG CHENLE WHAT THE HELL.”

 

“YOU DID NOT JUST LOCK THIS DOOR!”

 

“IT’S CHENLE OF COURSE HE LOCKED THE DOOR INJUN.”

 

“Stop yelling at me, I can hear you just fine at a normal tone thank you very much. Hurry the up. Oh, and the light can be turned off if you feel more comfortable with that.”

 

Renjun groaned, hitting his head against the door. This was more than what he had bargained for and everyone in the room knew that. What were they trying to gain by making him kiss his best friend? There didn’t seem to be a reason as to why they were being such hard-asses about the whole situation. From the other side of the small closet, Jaemin leaned against the wall just watching the other. He certainly hadn’t anticipated that Renjun would have an outburst of this magnitude, even if they were technically taking each other’s first kisses.

 

“Get to it children. I’ll wait in the living room.”

 

Once Chenle sat back down with the others, Renjun and Jaemin turned to each other with bright red cheeks. This certainly wasn’t the most embarrassing thing they had done, it just happened to be the most physically invasive.

 

“You really didn’t have to say yes to the dare.”

 

“I know.”

 

“Then why?”

 

“Because they wouldn’t have let me move on otherwise, even if they said they would.”

 

“Injun, give them a little more credit than that.”

 

“This just puts me on edge, you know?”

 

“Then I’ll lie.”

Renjun chuckled lowly; even if Jaemin wanted to lie he wouldn’t be able to. He’s never been strong in that area and everyone in the living room knows it.

 

“You couldn’t lie to save your skin.”

 

“True, but I could for you.”

 

“I highly doubt it.”

 

“Want me to try?”

 

“I’d rather you not. Chenle would have a fit, even if this is just a game.”

 

“So… we have to do this.”

 

“Seems that way.”

 

The way they stood, five feet away with scared eyes, looked as though they had come out of a movie or drama. So many scenes start off with the awkward glances at each other and the more time that goes by the atmosphere relaxes. It’s the feeling of unease that makes the two go crazy; making each other so uncomfortable.

 

“Can we… turn off the light?”

 

“Sure Injun.”

 

Jaemin hit the switch sending everything around them into darkness with only a small sliver of light flooding in through the crap at the bottom of the door. Renjun’s heartrate increased tenfold as he leaned against the wall, trying his best not to fall from his knees turning into jelly.
 

“You’re scared, aren’t you?”

 

“What makes you say that?”

 

“You haven’t moved Renjun. Are you sure you’re okay with this?”

 

“Honestly… I don’t know. Maybe I can’t doit.”

 

“It’s just you and me. We’re best friends; this will not change that fact.”

 

It killed Jaemin to say those words; the arrows being shot through his chest was overwhelming. Though he had agreed with himself that for the sake of his friend it had to be done.

 

“Okay.”

 

“I’m only going to go off of what I’ve seen in movies, since… so let me know if it’s uncomfortable.”

 

“Ha, I’ve been feeling uncomfortable since the moment we stepped in here but sure.”

 

“Okay.”

 

Another shot to the chest for Jaemin. This dare could make or break him, but he wouldn’t know the difference. He’s been breaking for years, even when he met Renjun and the others. In the long run, this wouldn’t be any different from the other heartaches he’s had. Shoving those thoughts out of his mind, he made his was over to Renjun who still had his back pressed against the wall.

 

“Are you sure Injun? I can lie.”

 

“Just do it before Chenle storms in here.”

 

“As you wish.”

 

Jaemin slowly lifted his hand up to Renjun’s cheek, letting his thumb run over the soft skin. A smile formed on his lips, thank god the other couldn’t see that, as a warm feeling spread through his chest. He wanted to be selfish: he wanted so much more than this. ‘This is a game Jaemin, get your head screwed back on straight’.

 

“I’m… sorry for this… I’m really sorry it’s me…”