Secretly, Greatly

Finding Sugar Man
Please log in to read the full chapter

When Dara asked my thoughts about appearing in a show like Two Yoo Project: Sugar Man, I didn't know what to say. She mentioned it when we were talking about shows that we watch whenever we have time, and Sugar Man is one of the shows she enjoys watching.

 

“I don't know,” I told her honestly. “It's been a while since the last time I appeared in one. Certainly it would feel strange.”

 

“But aren't you curious to see how people--especially the young ones--would respond to your music? Definitely it would be nostalgic for those my age, but it will be new for the young ones. Also, I think it will be fun to see another artist take on your song.”

 

Dara let it go when I gave a noncommittal reply. She doesn't really ask me a lot of questions; mostly she shares how her day went by and I do the same. We talk about interests we have in common such as films and comic books. Sometimes we watch a football game synchronously and role-play as funny commentators.

 

All the time Dara and I have been talking over the phone, we never really made any plans of meeting up again whether in Seoul or in Jeju. I do definitely like to see her again. Fortunately, our friend Lee Seunggi has finally finished his military service and agreed to take my place at the restaurant so I can stay in Seoul for a while to spend some time with my parents and take care of some business.

 

I wanted my visit to be a surprise, so it was great timing when Tony, who runs the animal welfare foundation with Jaeduck, brought up the idea of a pet cafe as a fundraising activity. Dara loves cats (I have her number saved under Catwoman). When I asked her if she could find time to attend the opening of the pop-up pet café in my behalf, she said it would be her pleasure.


Dara was wearing a lilac silk blouse and denim pants, her wavy hair down, longer and in lighter shade of brown than the last time I had seen her, when she came to the café that Sunday afternoon. She still looks younger than her age, but more sophisticated. Gone is the student vibe she usually has whenever she wears an oversize sweater, sneakers, and a cap. She's definitely a careerwoman. I smiled, realizing how similar the setup was to the first time we met at Kang's Kitchen; she was a guest and I observed her, hiding by the counter. She smiled shyly as Tony welcomed her and introduced her to the staff who were informed about my presence as guest barista and the surprise event.

 

“Jiwon hyung, Dara noona is really pretty,” Hanbin gushed as he joined me at the counter. I glared at him, but

Please log in to read the full chapter