Come To Play

Finding Sugar Man
Please log in to read the full chapter

When Jaehyun asked me if it was alright for him to give Dara my number because she had been asking for it, I wondered if I replied on the affirmative too quickly. I had actually wanted to ask for her number, but then I thought what excuse would I use to contact her? I guess if I were my younger self, not a minute would I be second-guessing myself. I would just be throwing caution to the wind. But since she would be leaving Jeju anyway, what would be the point? Given how wonderful a person she seemed to be, she wouldn't be lacking friends wherever she might find herself to be. But wouldn't it be great to have one more friend in Jeju?

 

Jaehyun gave me Dara's number so I would know it was her calling. He knows that I don't pick up calls from unknown numbers. Seeing that Dara has 7868 as her last four digits, I could not help but smile. Could it be because of me? (My birthday is 1978 June 8.)

 

We were having our break after the lunch hour madness when I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. I picked up Dara's call.

 

“Hello.”

 

“Hello.” Dara sounded nervous. Cute.

 

“Jaehyun said you guys have Mondays off.”

 

“Ah, yes.” I was getting nervous myself. What would she say next? How should I respond?

 

“I was wondering if you could find time to meet me?”

 

I did not know exactly what I was expecting but Dara being direct to the point and sounding a bit too businesslike was something I did not expect. She sounded like a woman on a mission. Not that I think it's bad.

 

“Got some things scheduled but nothing I could not finish by EOB. 6 PM good for you?" I managed to reply.

 

“6 PM is great!” Now she sounded her usual, cheerful self. I could imagine her smiling. “I'll text you the details. Thanks, like really really.”

 

How could I possibly say no to Dara?


Jaehyun talked about Dara even if I was not asking anything. He has told me, well us, everything that he knows and everything that Hyesun has told him about Dara. And Mino has listened to all of these attentively. I caught him filming a message with his phone and sending it. He was beyond thrilled to get a video message back. In the video, Dara was at a salon getting her hair done.

 

My impulsive s

Please log in to read the full chapter