Surrogate

Gyuri-Saerom

Ding Dong. Ding Dong. Ding Dong. Ding Dong.

Gyuri wiped her hands on the apron she was wearing while walking to her comm. to check who was ringing her bell. She was confused why a very pregnant woman rang her. “Uh… Can I help you?” She asked.

“Are you Jang Gyuri?”

“Yes… And you are?” Added confusion on how on earth did this woman know her name.

“I’m Lee Saerom. I uhh… I know your brother and sister-in-law. Uhmmm… Maybe it would be better if I could explain to you in person?”

Gyuri was a bit surprised when she heard that this lady knew her late brother and sister-in-law. But she welcomed this pregnant lady anyway. “Right, come on up.” When she heard the knocks on the door, Gyuri quickly opened the door.

Confused and surprised were two obvious reactions from Gyuri when she saw a pregnant woman standing by her door with an equally big suitcase.

The so-called Saerom tried to catch her breath. “Hello.” She tried to bow while holding onto her belly.

“Uhm sorry.” Looking at the tired pregnant lady, Gyuri quickly let her inside, dragging the suitcase. “Please do rest your body first on the couch. Do you need something? Water?” She felt empathy to her guest, imagining how hard it was to be very pregnant while dragging the heavy suitcase.

“Yes please thank you.” Saerom sighed when her back finally supported with fluffy cushion.

Gyuri went back with a glass of water. “Here you go.” Handed it to Saerom.

Saerom drank the content and still trying to catch her breath.

Gyuri watched her guest patiently and after she deemed Saerom already relaxed she decided to ask. “So… what about my late brother and sister-in-law, Saerom-ssi?”

“So you see, I’m their surrogate mother.” Saerom caressed her bulging belly.

“Surrogate mother…?” Gyuri tilted her head. She knew what surrogate mother means, but she was still confused and demanding more explanation.

“I’m carrying their babies.”

Gyuri’s eyes bulged when she heard more. “Babies? Plural?”

“Yes. They’re twins. Girls.”

“Wait… back up. How did you know them?”

“Your sister-in-law was a close friend of mine, a close senior in college to be exact. She told me that she couldn’t pregnant because her womb was weak and I agreed to be the surrogate mother.” Saerom calmly explained.

With a grimaced expression, Gyuri asked. “So my brother knocked you up?”

“Noooo. Noo. Yikes. No.”

“So?”

“These babies are from IVF program. Your brother’s combined with your sister-in-law’s eggs and the doctor put it in my womb. Turns out, they’re having twins. Until I learned that they had an accident two months ago.”

Gyuri sadly sighed. “Yep.”

“I’m so sorry Gyuri-ssi for your loss. But, I uhh… I kinda need your help to raise these babies because I’m not going to abort them.”

Gyuri shook her head when she heard the statement. “Hold on for one second—What?”

“That’s the reason I came here.” Saerom caressed her stomach. “That’s what I wanted to tell you. Since you’re the only next of kin.”

Gyuri covered her face with both of her palms and sighed very loudly. “Look Saerom-ssi.” She looked at the pregnant lady. “The last 30 minutes have been a table-turning moment for me and I really need time to digest all of the information. Could you give me some time?”

“Sure. But can I stay here?”

“Yea sure. I was cooking dinner.” Gyuri stood up. “I… I’ll just go resume that and think.”

“Thank you Gyuri-ssi.”

---

Gyuri massaged her temples. “So let me summarize this and please do correct me if I’m wrong. You’re carrying my soon-to-be nieces. You’re on the 6th month of your pregnancy aaaaannndd you will be staying here until they’re 1 year old? Plus I get to pay for this birth and babies expenses?”

“Yes, yes, yes, and no.”

“No?”

Saerom dig her purse and took out an envelope. She then gave it to Gyuri who was sitting across her.

Agreement of Surrogacy. It read.

“Your brother and sister-in-law had save their money for birth and set up insurance and education fund for the babies. They made both you and me the trustees should anything wrong happens along the way and it did. So don’t worry about the big costs I think. We should only be worried about the daily things.”

Gyuri sighed. “Right.” She slowly came into term that these babies—her nieces—were the legacy given by her brother and she should be responsible for it—them. “I uhh… You can sleep in my room tonight. I will set up your bedroom tomorrow.”

“I can sleep on the couch.” Saerom felt bad for Gyuri for turning her life upside down in just a couple of hours.

“No no no. Don’t. You need the bed more than me. You need to rest properly. I mean for the babies.” Gyuri smiled and stood up. “Come on, I’ll show you the room.”

---

“What’s that?” Chaeyoung pinched her eyes towards a potential alien box on Gyuri’s desk.

“For the love of God. That’s my lunch box Chaeng. You’ve been asking me for the last two weeks.”

“Right. From the wife.” Chaeyoung snickered.

Gyuri rolled her eyes. “She’s not my wife.”

“Ouch. Barky today aren’t you, Unnie. I was just kidding. Sorry.” Chaeyoung poked Gyuri’s upper arm. “So… How is it?”

“How is what?” Gyuri was still typing, finishing her task.

“Living with pregnant lady? Is she naggy? Clingy? Has weird cravings? Hard to please?”

Gyuri stopped typing and looked at her junior. “Seriously, have you finished all the jobs I give you today?”

“All in your inbox.” Chaeyoung grinned as she pointed at the organizer box on Gyuri’s desk. Also knowing that she had checkmated her boss.

Gyuri inwardly cursed. But being a good friend she played along and answered Chaeyoung. “Well, thankfully Saerom is not that kind of pregnant woman. I mean, yes she has craving here and there but not weird, mostly only sweet things like ice creams or chocolates. Not naggy per se but she does try to make me eat more veggies and reasoned that I should give good examples to my nieces. Plus turns out, she’s a great cook. So it’s a win-win.”

“You sure you’re not gonna develop feelings for her? I saw you two getting groceries together and you guys are kinda’ cute.”

“She’s carrying my nieces, the least that I can do is making sure that she’s healthy and safe, don’t I?”

“So you’re saying, you’re care just because she’s carrying your nieces?”

“Yes.”

---

“I’m home.” Gyuri announced while changing into slippers. “Saerom-ah?”

“In the kitchen!”

“Whoa whoa whoa. Let me do that.” Gyuri quickly dumped her bag to the couch and helped Saerom bringing the big plates to the dining table. Since the food looked delicious, Gyuri couldn’t stop to steal a bite.

“Yah!” Saerom lightly slapped Gyuri’s back. “At least wash your hands first.”

“Can’t help it. Too good.” Gyuri grinned.

“Go shower quick!”

“Yes, Ma’am.” Gyuri lightly caressed Saerom’s stomach before going to the said shower. It has been a developed habit for Gyuri to show affection to the nieces and it actually warmed Saerom’s heart.

Blame the hormones or the over caring Gyuri but Saerom was pretty fast to be swayed by the woman’s little caring actions.

After dinner, the two spend their time watching random TV shows while sharing what they did that day. It was also another developed habit for the two of them since they were living under the same roof.

“Chaeyoung was practically begging for your Pot Roast Pork.” Gyuri chuckled when she remembered that her junior was pleaded for the whole day, even sacrificed to work extra hour just to get her message delivered.

“Sure. I can make those for her.”

“Nah don’t. You’ll tire yourself.”

“It’s ok—GASP.” Saerom clutched her stomach.

Gyuri put her hand on top of the bulding tummy in reflex when she heard the gasp. “Why? What’s wrong?”

“I just felt a kick. A strong one.”

“Really?” Gyuri quickly put her ear on Saerom’s stomach. “Try kick m—Whoa.” She was surprised when she felt a nudge. She hugged Saerom after that, an action resulted from a very happy feeling on her heart.

Saerom could only smiled when she enveloped by the warm arms.

---

“Twiggy and Twiglet. That’s cute.”

“Twiglet?” Gyuri sounded. “No. How about Ice Cream and Chocolate?” The two were on their ride home from the doctor’s monthly check up.

“Why?”

“Because you have an absolute—over loving—complete craving over them.”

Saerom laughed because of the reason. “True.”

“So?”

“Okay. Let’s call them Ice Cream and Chocolate.” Saerom intertwined Gyuri’s hand that rested on her stomach. “And let’s get them on the way home.”

“Your wish is my command.” Gyuri smiled when she felt nice fitting fingers interlaced her own.

Gyuri was not exactly sure about this—them—but she felt really comfortable around Saerom and she knew she grew fond of the latter for the full month she had passed living with this pregnant lady.

---

Stepping into the last month of her pregnancy, everything Gyuri did was getting on Saerom’s nerves. “You should have texted me that you’re coming home late!” She yelled at the person over the line.

“I’m sorry Saerom-ah. This all happened to sudden and I can’t exactly reject my boss.” Gyuri apologetically said.

“Fine. Do what you want.” Saerom hang up and angrily threw the dinner she had made to the trash. She cooked Gyuri’s favorite, knowing that the person living with her had just succeeded on her big project. She thought they would celebrate it together.

Turned out Gyuri’s boss was treating Gyuri’s division to a fancy dinner to celebrate.

“Ouch. Saerom Unnie?” Chaeyong asked when she saw the sour face of her senior.

“Yeah.”

“Don’t forget to buy something sweet on your way home so you don’t get locked out.” The younger girl advised.

“I might do that. Thanks Chaeng.”

The apartment was dark when Gyuri arrived. She then went to the kitchen to safely store a box of expensive chocolate she bought from the restaurant but stumbled on the trash. She frowned when she saw the untouched dinner there.

Gyuri then quickly padded to Saerom’s room and took a peek. She smiled when she saw her housemate that she had grown to care deeply was sleeping soundly. She then walked closer to fix the blanket. “I’m sorry Saerom-ah.” She couldn’t resist the urge to kiss Saerom’s forehead.

“Hmmh?” Saerom felt that and awakened. “Gyuri?”

“Yes. It’s me. Go back to sleep.” Gyuri caressed Saerom’s hair.

“Still mad at you.” Saerom said.

“I know but let’s fight tomorrow.”

“…okay…” Saerom’s lulled back to sleep.

The next morning, Gyuri had woken up earlier from Saerom. Determined to apologize in the best way—making herself Saerom’s slave for the weekend. So there she was, making a breakfast for her dearest pregnant woman.

“What are you doing in my office?” A cold voice greeted Gyuri.

Gyuri quickly turned around and smiled. “Forcing you to take leave from your job for the rest of the weekend. And good morning to you.” She leaned in to kiss Saerom’s cheek—another developed habit—but was rejected by the receiver.

“Nope. Still mad.” Saerom pushed Gyuri’s face away. “Go finish your cooking I’m hungry.” She was actually had forgiven Gyuri the night she felt the kiss, but she was enjoying the moment.

“Yes Ma’am.”

After the breakfast and the whole morning routine, the two watch the movie. Of course Gyuri was still being on Saerom’s mercy. She was massaging Saerom’s legs.

“I want snacks.” Saerom said.

“What kind of snacks, My Lady?”

“Something sweet.”

Gyuri then smiled, knowing she had the best weapon to have Saerom’s forgiveness. “I have something for you.” She went to get the said snack—the expensive chocolate. “Here you go.” She gave the box to Saerom.

Saerom looked at the box and then to Gyuri, back at the box and back to Gyuri.

“What? Open it.”

“It’s so expensive! Why did you—“

“Just open it.” Gyuri cut off.

I’m so sorry, Saeromie L - Pabo Gyul. It came with the hand-written post-it. Saerom then hugged Gyuri. “Don’t do that again.”

“So I’m forgiven?”

“Yes.”

“Yay!” Gyuri kissed Saerom’s cheek. “They said this is the best flavor…” She went on describing the chocolates one by one.

---

“Jang Nakyung, Jang Jiheon.” Gyuri filled in the birth certificate form for her newborn nieces. “Parents name…” She huffed when she stumbled upon this question.

“What is it?” Saerom asked when she heard the sigh. She was holding Nakyung and kissed the little hand while walking to Gyuri.

“Parents name of these babies.”

“You should put your name then.” Saerom answered. She found it amusing why Gyuri found it difficult to answer that.

Gyuri looked up. “But you’re their parent too…”

“I’m just a surrogate mother, Gyul.”

“But…” Gyuri was very aware that’s the fact. But since the kids real parents passed away she thought that they should be the parents. She scratched her head.

“Look, I’m just a surrogate mother. Besides I’m not here forever. It’s not like we’re married anyway.”

After Gyuri heard that she suddenly had an idea. “How about if we’re getting married?” She blurted the question.

“Just because we live together and I gave birth to these girls?”

“Well yes but… no…” Gyuri could not voice out her reason.

“Then no.” Saerom said.

---

“…where did I went wrong?” Gyuri told Chaeyong about the rejection.

“Well everything’s wrong.” Chaeyoung commented, munching on her Subway sandwich.

“But I like her.”

“Does she know that you like her?”

Gyuri nodded. “I suppose. We kissed. We hugged. We cuddled!”

Chaeyoung shrugged her shoulders. “We did that too.”

The older girl grimaced, disgusted with the idea. “It’s different!”

“Different how?”

“Because I have feelings for her not you.”

“That I know. But the question is, does Miss Lee Saerom know that you like her?”

Gyuri buried her face into her palms and sighed very loud and long. “How do I make her know?”

Chaeyoung rolled her eyes. “Open your mouth and vomit the words in this exact order: Lee Saerom. I. Love. You.”

---

Because of the last talk, the two were awkward to each other at the house. They communicated only about the chores of taking care the twins.

Jiheon cried when Saerom was changing Nakyung.

“On it.” Gyuri said, getting Jiheon from her crib. “Oh someone need a diaper change too, huh? Excuse me, Mommy. I need a diaper change too.” She baby-talked Jiheon to Saerom.

“I’m not their Mommy.”

“Can we talk about this, please?”

“After you change her.”

“Of course.”

“Oh and please give her to me after that, we need to sync their meal time.”

“Yes Ma’am.”

Gyuri did as she told. She placed Jiheon on Saerom’s other arm because Nakyung already occupying one arm and one .

“Can you slide down this side so Jiheon can drink too?” Saerom asked.

“Uh… sure.” Gyuri always tried her best not to be distracted and looked at Saerom’s s. After she saw Jiheon started drinking she walked to the door.

“Stop.”

Gyuri stopped her track.

“I thought you want to talk?” Saerom asked.

“Now?”

“Yes. Because I’m pretty sure we cannot have a peaceful time after this.”

“Right.” Gyuri then sat down on the bed, next to Saerom. “Uhm… it’s about us.”

“What about us?”

Gyuri took a deep breath, calming her mind, bracing for another worst case of the reaction. “I know I messed up the last time I talked about us and I’m sorry about that. But I want to make sure that you know that I had grown to love you. I may have not realizing this until my twin tower knocked some sense on my head.”

“Twin tower?”

“Chaeng.”

“Oh… Okay…” Saerom demanded more explanations.

“Like I said. I love you Saerom-ah. And I’m saying this not because you gave birth to these beautiful princesses, but I love you for who you are. I feel complete with you by my side and I want you to stay by my side forever. And I think you’re not only a surrogate mother of these girls, you are the real mother for them. So please, stay by my—our side forever by marrying me.”

“Come here.” Saerom said.

“What?”

“Come here I want to kiss you but I have these two locking me here.”

Gyuri smiled and leaned in. “So that’s a yes?”

“You think that’s a no?”

“I was jus—“

“Shush. Shut up and kiss me before the two started crying again.”

Gyuri chuckled and kissed Saerom. “I love you.”

“I love you too, Pabo Gyul.”