Eyes on Me

Gyuri-Saerom

From: Yeonhee Unnie
Saerom-ah, emergency meeting at 10.

Saerom looked at the time on her phone. 8 AM it read. She huffed before getting up from her bed to get ready.

Lee Saerom, 25, a very famous actress in South Korea. She was known for her beauty and Oscar grade acting. She had stared in many dramas and movies, thousands of commercials, even crowned as the nation’s actress.

“Good morning.” Saerom greeted as she went inside her meeting room.

“Morning Saeromie.” The manager said. “Let’s start, shall we?” She opened her laptop. “We want to tightened your security since the sasaeng cases are increasing. So, the management had decided to give you a 24/7 protector.”

“Protector like bodyguard?”

The manager nodded. “Yes. She’s going to live at your building too. Across the hall to be exact.”

“She?”

“Yes. Her name is Jang Gyuri. She’s as old as you are. But she has military background so… she’s an all-kill candidate.”

“Military?”

“Yes. She uh...” The manager showed this Jang Gyuri person’s profile on the big screen. “She is a daughter of National Army’s Colonel, no wonder she followed her father’s path.”

“Scroll down, please.” Saerom read the experiences of her bodyguard. “She had guarded the border with the North?”

Her manager nodded. “That is why we hired her.”

“Okay. Then where is she?”

“Wait here.” The manager went outside the room and back with a woman in tow. “This is Jang Gyuri.”

“Gyuri-ssi, this is Lee Saerom.”

Saerom was dazed for a bit because she thought Gyuri was pretty enough to be a celebrity. But she was quick to regain from her thought and offered her hand. “Hello, Lee Saerom.”

Gyuri smiled a bit before firmly shook Saerom’s awaiting hand. “Jang Gyuri.”

“Please take care of me, Gyuri-ssi.”

“Well noted, Saerom-ssi.”

The manager clapped. “Alright, I’ll add Gyuri to our group so you two can save each other’s number.” She did as she stated. “Saerom does not have any schedule today, so you can set up the apartment, Gyuri-ssi. You can share the ride with Saerom.”

Gyuri looked at Saerom as if she was asking for permission and confirmation.

Saerom got the clue and nodded. “Sure. I can help with your things too.”

“I only have this bag.” Gyuri showed her army big backpack.

Saerom was a bit surprised when she saw how light this girl travelled. “Okay. Shall we?”

“Yes, let’s go.”

“Unnie, I’ll go.”

“Drive safe.”

“You drove here?” Gyuri asked when she heard the goodbye. She was surprised she thought Saerom was driven here by the company’s car.

“Yeah.”

“Okay.”

---

“So Gyuri-ssi, why you quit from the army?” Saerom asked.

“I didn’t quit. I have fulfilled my service and the nation was no longer in need for my service and actually I hate doing the desk job.” Gyuri answered.

“Before joining our team, what did you do? I mean you must have some kind of job, right?”

“My friend and I established a security company and trained poeple to be protectors.”

Saerom connected the dots. “So they send us the best man to guard me?”

Gyuri grinned. “It’s not like that.”

“Why do you take this job anyway?”

Gyuri looked at Saerom. “It’s obvious, isn’t it?”

“Payment?”

“Of course, and action. I needed the action.”

Saerom chuckled. “There won’t be as much as in the border, Gyuri-ssi.”

“It’s okay, I still get to feel that I have worth you know.”

Saerom smiled. “I see. Oh we’re here.”

“Thanks for the ride.”

“Do you want something to eat? It’s lunch time.”

“It’s okay I can go to the mart.”

---

Saerom was scheduled to have a fan sign and fan meeting today with the other casts of her new drama. So Gyuri put on her suit and placed her guns securely in the holsters because it was a pretty big event. She then went across the hall to get Saerom. Although she knew the password, Gyuri still rang the bell.

“5 seconds.” Saerom answered on the intercom.

Gyuri then waited outside.

“Whoa nice suit.” Saerom praised.

Gyuri chuckled. “You ready?”

“Yes, let’s go.”

Gyuri dialed the driver’s number and walked to the lobby with Saerom. As soon as they’re in the car, Gyuri briefed Saerom. “My team will be there as well to guard all the casts. If you feel something wrong or someone suspicious quickly look for me and tap your upper chest twice. That’s gonna be our code. Okay?”

“Yes, Gyuri-ssi.”

“Don’t worry my eyes will always be on you at all times.”

“Good to know that.”

After half an hour drive they arrived at the gate of the event. Gyuri was getting ready, checking on her weapons, straightened up her suit, and putting on her earpiece. “Comm check.” She talked to her team through walkie talkies.

“Hear you loud and clear, Gaejooks.”

“Alright, Princess is almost arrived, moving to earwig.”

“Well noted. Coast is checked and clear.”

“Thanks Habbang.”

Saerom heard the convo. She was about to ask something but their car pulled into a stop.

“You ready, Saerom-ssi?”

“Yes.”

“Okay.” Gyuri went outside the car and opened the door for Saerom. She ten walked closely beside Saerom through the line of her shouting fans to the stage. She offered her hand when Saerom climbed up the stairs and smiled to her.

Saerom was taken aback for a bit but regained her consciousness then took her seat on the stage. She eyed Gyuri and spotted the latter to stand on the right side of the stage, near to her. When their eyes met Saerom grinned and did a little wave. Gyuri only nodded.

Fortunately the event went well, everyone was safe and sound. Saerom could even interacted with her fanbase. The two securely went inside their car and drove home. “Thanks Team. Outstanding work today, Gaejook signed off.”

The nickname made Saerom remembered what she wanted to ask. “Your code name is Gaejook?” She fired the question.

Gyuri chuckled. “Yeah. It’s been my code name since I was in the army.”

“Why Gaejook?”

“My friend got it for me since she thought I looked like the smiling-puppy.” Gyuri stated.

“Really?”

“Yeah, why?”

“I want a proof!”

“I’ll give it to you once we’re arrived.”

---

The two had gotten closer since they were almost together for most of the time. Saerom initiated since they are at the same age they should go with first name basis and made bestfriend out of the condition they were having. Saerom also noticed that Gyuri was actually a caring person. Out of the working term, Gyuri always made sure that Saerom is safe or helped Saerom but then acted that she did nothing.

So the actress decided to prank her protector today.

From: Lee Saerom
Gaejookie-nim~

Gyuri shook her head when she read the message.

To: Lee Saerom
Yes?

From: Lee Saerom
I’m about to head downstairs for coffee, you want some?

Gyuri immediately put on her sweater and went to her door. “Oh ! You scared me, Saerom-ah.” She was really surprised when she saw Saerom already stood there.

“I know you would do this.”

“Do what?”

“Go to my door and accompany me.”

“Can’t help it. It’s my job.”

Saerom rolled her eyes. “Come on, it’s my treat.”

“Thanks. Happy birthday, Saerom-ah.”

Saerom laughed. “Not my birthday.”

As promised, Saerom treat their morning coffee and bread then went back to Saerom’s place. Ate their bread, sipped their coffee, watched the morning cartoon and talked about what not.

“I was checking the group, you’ll be busy shooting today. So you don’t need me.” Gyuri said after opening the group chat.

“Yep.”

“I might go to my office today. But still if there’s anything, reach me yes?”

“Okay Gaejookie-nim.”

“What time you should go?”

Saerom looked at the clock. “In an hour. I don’t mean to be rude and kick you out but I need to shower.”

“You haven’t showered? Ew.” Gyuri teased.

“Yah!”

Gyuri chuckled. “Alright. Have fun.”

---

Gyuri finished signed all the documents she needed to approve at her office when she heard her phone rang. Saerom’s name flashed on it. She had a bad feeling since it was almost midnight so she quickly picked up. “Saerom-ah?”

“Gyuri, help!” The actress sounded panic.

“Why? What happened?!”

“I got a flat tyre.”

“Share your location. I’ll be there.”

“Okay.”

“Stay inside the car, lock the door, don’t come out until I arrive, you hear?”

“Okay. Please hurry…”

Gyuri checked her phone and got the location where Saerom was. She ran to her car and raced with all her might because she genuinely worried about Saerom. The forty minutes distance was shortened thanks to the empty road and Gyuri’s speed. She hurriedly  parked close to Saerom’s car and got out. She knocked on the driver’s window. “Saerom-ah, it’s me.”

Saerom quickly rolled down the window. “Thank God.”

Gyuri exhaled in relief when she saw Saerom was safe. “You okay?” She asked.

“Yes. Just scared.”

“It’s okay. Pop the trunk. I’ll change with spare tyre.”

Gyuri silently did the task and cleaned everything. She then went to her car and back to Saerom. She handed a bottle of water, not forgetting to open it first for her. “Can you drive?” She asked.

Saerom quickly nodded.

“Here.” Gyuri handed a walkie talkie. “I’ll be behind you all the way. You can talk to me through here.”

Saerom grinned. “Okay. Let’s go home.”

Gyuri opened the car door and made sure Saerom wore her seatbelt before went into her car. She started her car and decided to check on the driver in front of her. “Comm check.” She talked to her walkie talkie.

“Heard you loud and clear, Gaejookienim. Over.”

Gyuri chuckled. “Okay, Princess. I’m ready if you are.”

Saerom smiled when she heard the sweet code name. It became sweeter because she heard it addressed directly to her. “Okay, I’ll go.” She started driving on the road, heading home. “Uhh… Gaejookie-nim?”

“Yes, Princess?”

Saerom smiled again. Gyuri’s voice was so soft it made her giddy. “Thank you. I forgot I said that.”

“Don’t mention it, Saerom-ah.” Gyuri said. “Just do me a favor.”

“What is it?”

“Next time you have a shooting schedule, please go with Mr. Kim.”

Saerom grinned. “Okay. I’m sorry I gave you hard time.”

“I said, don’t mention it, Saerom-ah.”

“How about I treat you dinner?”

“Now?”

“Yup.”

“Let’s just go home and call it a day? You need to rest. Besides it’s super cold outside.”

“Okay.”

---

Gyuri checked her surrounding before she went to Saerom’s side. She had noticed that her client only wore a thin sweater and coat that day.

Upon seeing her protector getting closer, Saerom wrapped up her little interaction with her fanbase. “Let’s go?” She asked Gyuri when she stood beside her.

“Wait.” Gyuri took off her coat and draped it on Saerom’s shoulder. “Let’s go.” She lightly pushed Saerom’s back to get her to move.

Saerom was actually taken aback when Gyuri draped her coat on her. It was again little things that Gyuri did that made her heart skipped a beat. When she felt the nudge, Saerom looked at Gyuri and mouthed ‘thank you’.

Gyuri only rolled her eyes.

---

The cute convos several weeks ago and the coat thingy really made the two even closer to each other. Saerom spent most of her day off bugging Gyuri or staying in the latter’s apartment to watch movies and what not. She sometimes barged in, getting comfy without Gyuri’s permission.

Like today. “Gaejookie-n…” Saerom froze. “Oh my God! I’m sorry I’m sorry I didn’t see anything!” She quickly went out the apartment.

Apparently Gyuri was in the middle of getting ready to go to her office. She wore a shirt but hasn’t buttoned it up.

But every muscle every line every inch of that smooth skin was captured perfectly in Saerom’s brain. She remembered how Gyuri’s abs was very… very… “ Saerom-ah. Pull yourself together.” She shook her head. “That abs would be the death of me.”

From: Gaejookie-nim
You okay?

Saerom sighed. “Well no.”

To: Gaejookie-nim
Yes. Sorry to barge in, Gyuri-yah.

From: Gaejookie-nim
It’s okay. Sorry I was preping to go to the office. I’ll go now. Reach me anytime.

To: Gaejookie-nim
Alright. Drive safe.

It was after lunch when Saerom got the idea to deliver coffee to Gyuri’s office as an apology for the incident happened that morning. So she went on ordering what Gyuri usually have at the cafe downstairs and drove off to her protector’s office.

“Saerom-ssi?”

“Yes?” Saerom thought it was one of her fans greeted.

“I’m Hayoung. Song Hayoung. You usually heard my voice when Gyuri do the comm check.”

“Ah.” Saerom nodded, recognizing the voice. “Habbang?”

Hayoung grinned and nodded. “Are you looking for Gyuri?”

Saerom nodded. “Yes, I want to give her this.” She showed the take away coffees.

“I can take you to her office. Shall we?”

“Thank you, Hayoung-ssi.”

Hayoung lead the way to a corner office. She knocked on the opened glass door. “Gaejooks--Oops. Hi Jisun-ah. Can’t go far from the girlfriend is it?” She chuckled.

Saerom froze when she heard the word ‘girlfriend’ and another girl name in one sentence. She didn’t know why but she felt her anger rising inside.

“Yah!” Gyuri retaliated. “What is it Habbang?”

“Princess is here to see you.”

“Oh?” Gyuri stood up and extended her neck to see her prior. “Come in come in.”

“Saerom-ssi I bid my leave.”

Being a true actress herself, Saerom smiled. “Thank you Hayoung-ah.” She went inside the office. “I bought you coffee, thought you need it.”

Gyuri smiling oh so brightly and took a coffee from Saerom. “Oh yeah, this is Jisun, Jisun this is Saerom.”

“Hello Saerom-ssi.” Jisun smiled.

“Hi. Nice to meet you Jisun-ssi.” Saerom smiled. “Well, my work is here done, I don’t want to disturb you two.” She turned her eyes to Gyuri. “See ya.”

“I’ll walk you.”

“No no, don’t. You have guest.” Saerom stopped Gyuri.

“You sure?”

“Yes.”

“Okay… Drive safe.”

---

Fortunately Saerom’s shooting schedule was packed for the next two weeks and outside Seoul so she did not need to face Gyuri. Because if she did her anger rose again. She did not know why she got so jealous over this Jisun girl.

But everything passed by so fast when you’re working hard. Two weeks flew by and Saerom went back to Seoul. She was scheduled to attend her movie launch. Hence she has to work with Gyuri again.

“Comm check.”

“Loud and clear.”

“Princess and I are approaching.”

“Coast is checked and cleared.”

“Alright thanks team. Moving to earwig.” Gyuri checked her weapons, smoothened her suit, put on her earpiece before looking at Saerom. “Let’s go through this one more time. Car, red carpet, and stage. Tap your chest--”

“Twice if I feel something would go wrong. And your eyes will be on me at all times.” Saerom cut Gyuri off.

The protector felt something was off with her client but she couldn’t discuss it since they were approaching the venue. So she held back. “Ready, Princess?”

“Yes.”

It was nearing the end, so the fans were getting crazier. Gyuri’s eyes never left Saerom and she felt nervous, like something bad would happened. She eyed the crowd and back to Saerom, the crowd and back to Saerom until she spotted a man running towards her client.

Gyuri jumped and sprinted towards the man and with a split move she knocked down the man. Her team rushed to her so she could safe her prior. Once she saw her friend nod her to go, she went to a surprised Saerom in a quick second.

The protector wrapped her arm around the actress and pulled her away from the crowd to the backstage resting area. She exhaled and checked the shock girl in her arms. “We’re safe now. You okay?” She pulled Saerom’s chin up to see.

Saerom bursted out crying. She hugged Gyuri with all her might. She didn’t remember much afterwards. Not until she sat down in her apartment and was given a cup of tea. She looked at the person who handed it.

Gyuri smiled. “It’s okay. We’re safe.”

“Thank you, Gyuri-yah.”

“You’re welcome. I’m just glad you’re okay.” Gyuri said again. “Do you want anything else?”

“Don’t leave me.”

“I won’t. I’ll stay.” Gyuri took off her coat and rolled her shirt arm. “Do you want to wipe your make up and shower?”

“Yeah. That sounds right.” Saerom robotically did the task.

Gyuri smiled when she saw a barefaced Saerom with her pink PJs. “Sleep Saeromie. You need it.”

“Can you accompany me?”

“Okay let’s go.”

Saerom laid her body on the bed, under the blanket. Gyuri was looking around for a couch to lie down. “You can sleep here.” Saerom patted the empty side of her bed.

Gyuri did as she told. She looked at Saerom’s tired eyes. “Sleep Saerom-ah. I’ll be here.”

“Thank you for today. You literally saved my life.” Saerom softly said.

“You’re welcome Saeromie. Don’t worry. Like I said, my eyes will always be on you to make sure you’re safe.”

“You laid your eyes on Jisun though.”

“Wh--Are you jealous? F. Y. I. Saerom-ah, Jisun is our company’s therapist. I regularly talked to her.” Gyuri chuckled. She found it cute that Saerom’s sulks were because of Jisun.

“Sorry…”

“You don’t need to be jealous. Because me eyes will always be on you.”

---

Saerom did not know that she could be so clingy to Gyuri. She woke up from her sleep only to find her hand tightly clenched onto Gyuri’s shirt. Her head tucked so fit under Gyuri’s chin. She felt calm somehow when she inhaled scent a la Gyuri. She was enjoying everything for a couple of minutes before the body she hugged moved.

Saerom quickly pretended to sleep and felt that she was being pried from Gyuri’s safe arms. She felt Gyuri covered her body with her blanket and padded so lightly outside her bedroom and her apartment.

Then her phone dinged.

From: Gaejookie-nim
Had to leave you for shower and breakfast hunting. Will get back ASAP. Reach me anytime.

She smiled.

To: Gaejookie-nim
Okay. Drive safe.

Not long after she sent the message, her phone rang. “Did I wake you?”

“No Gaejookie-nim. It’s my time to wake up anyway. My parents have been contacting me.”

“Alright. So coffee and bagels?”

“Please.”

“Okay. I’ll see you soon.”

---

Saerom caught Gyuri’s strong arm in the right time. Upon being tightly gripped by the actress, Gyuri quickly held Saerom to safe her from falling down. “You okay?” Gyuri then checked Saerom from head to toe.

Saerom tripped because her shoelaces were undone.

Gyuri kneeled down and tied the shoelaces before continuing to usher Saerom to her event.

After finishing the fan sign event, Saerom roamed her eyes to search for her protector and found her. She made ‘I’m watching you’ gestures to Gyuri and earned a grinned.

Gyuri replied with the same gesture but pointing at Saerom’s fans.

---

“I’ll wait at the cafe.” Gyuri said when she saw Saerom’s manager walked towards them. They were at Saerom’s management office because the latter has a meeting and the actress did not feel to drive so she asked Gyuri to drive her.

“Okay. I’ll go there after.”

Saerom’s manager nudged her actress. “You two seriously make a cute couple.”

Saerom rolled her eyes. “Now now, Unnie. What kind of manager you are, encouraging your artist to have a date.”

“But seriously. You two make a cute couple. Someone reported to me that you two have fanbase.” Yeonhee stated.

Saerom was baffled when she found out the truth. “That’s funny.” But Saerom smiled when she heard the comment that they would make a cute couple.

As planned, Saerom went to the cafe to meet Gyuri after the meeting. “So fast.” Gyuri commented when she saw the actress taking a seat in front of her.

“Just going through my schedule next month.”Saerom then showed her phone to Gyuri. “There’s this funny fanbase about us.”

Gyuri took the phone and scrolled the website. She chuckled when she saw cute moments captured by Saerom’s fan. “You look like a kid in here. I look like your father.” She show the picture when Gyuri tied Saerom’s shoelaces.

Gyuri then stood up.

“Where are you going?”

“Taking your ice latte.”

“But I didn’t order.”

“I did.” Gyuri said as she walked to the cafe bar. “Here.” She gave the cup to Saerom.

“The straw…” Saerom wanted to stand up when Gyuri stopped here.

“Here here here.” The tall girl gave Saerom the straw.

“Thank you.” Saerom sipped her coffee. “You know what’s funny.”

“What is it?”

“Yeonhee Unnie said that we could make a cute couple.” Saerom grinned and tried to hide her blushing cheeks.

“I think so too.” Gyuri cooly said.

---

Different from other fansign, this time Gyuri stood very close to Saerom. It was the first fansign held for Saerom after the incident and the protector didn’t want to take any risk so she guard Saerom directly behind her.

The tall girl saw the actress took a hairband given by one of her fan and wore it hurriedly since the fan asked for a picture. Gyuri silently fixed Saerom’s hair before the fan took the picture.

After that, Saerom looked at her and grinned as if expressing her gratitude though her heart was racing when she felt the soft touch.

It was not the first time Saerom realized that she was surely falling for her guard. Every communication method they shared whether words, touches, eye contacts were translated differently to Saerom now. She felt that Gyuri was genuinely cared for her through the little things she did.

“Let’s go Saerom-ah.” Gyuri whispered.

Saerom went back from her thought and stood up to bid her goodbye with her fans.

---

Gyuri silently cooked ramyun for Saerom. Because the actress has been cranky and angry for no reason, then she realized that Saerom surely had not taken any meal. The shorter girl was memorizing her lines from the upcoming drama she would star.

The tall girl quietly served the ramyun for the cranky girl. She nudged Saerom to break her from the intense reading session. “Eat.”

Saerom enjoyed the meal and her mood was improved so much. Her face became brighter as she munch the savory treat. “Why did you make this?” She asked.

“Because you’re hungry.”

“I didn’t tell you.”

Gyuri shrugged and turning on the TV.

“Yah~ I’m talking to you.”

“Eat first Saeromie.” The protector noticed that her client still hasn’t had her drink. So she stood up and went to the kitchen to get her one. Then she went back and placed a glass of water on the table and sat back down beside Saerom.

The actress loudly finishing her ramyun and slurped the remaining soup. She showed the empty bowl to the maker.

Gyuri chuckled. “Good?”

Saerom drank her water and nodded.

Gyuri noticed that there was a little stain near Saerom’s mouth and she wiped it by reflex. When the soft thumb touched her skin, Saerom gulped and froze. Her heart was beating so fast and even got crazier when their eyes met.

The taller girl’s eyes fall to the actress’ lips. She couldn’t help to wet her on lips and leaned in.

They kissed. The kissed then turned into a very passionate one. Gyuri felt that Saerom tugged her and lead their way to the bedroom.

---

“Comm check.”

“Crystal, Gaejookie-nim.”

“Alright, Princess and I are approaching. Moving to earwig.” As usual Gyuri checked her weapon, smoothened her suit, put on her earpice before turning to Saerom.

“Stop. Let me.” Saerom grinned. “Car, Red Carpet, then sitting area. Tap my chest twice if I felt anything wrong and your eyes…” Saerom leaned in. “… will be on me at all times.” She kissed Gyuri and smiled. “Anyway, you’ll sit beside me since you’re my wife.”