Time

Gyuri-Saerom

“…You never understand me like her!”

“Her?”

“What??”

“You said her. Who is she? Jang Gyuri isn’t it?”

“I didn’t—“

The man scoffed. “I never stood a chance against her, didn’t I? Even ever since the beginning?”

“I…”

“Let’s just stop this, Saerom-ah. I’m sorry.”

There were times like this Saerom wished she could go back and not being a coward.

---

It all came back on her college days. Lee Saerom was famous in her campus. She was known for her beauty and kindness towards people, and for those Jang Gyuri fell in love with. Both were taking the same major and having same classes, but not once they have interacted.

Not until when rain poured heavily and forced them to stay at the bus stop. “Now I will get home late.” Saerom grumbled.

That scene is too cute to Gyuri to let pass. “Ditto.”

Saerom turned her head to her left when she heard the reply. She didn’t know that she was not alone and this girl seemed familiar.

“Oh right. Gyuri, Jang Gyuri, we’re from the same class.” Gyuri held out her hand. “You may not notice me because I usually glooming at the back.”

When everything clicked on her brain, Saerom quickly shook the awaiting hand. “Right. That’s why I felt like I’ve seen you before. Lee Saerom. Nice to meet you, Gyuri-yah.”

Since then the two were inseparable.

Up until Jang Gyuri realized that she fell really fast and really hard to her newfound best friend. She couldn’t stop thinking about Saerom or calling or texting for that matter. Every single second of her life was dedicated to Saerom and Saerom only.

That made Saerom indulged, knowing that Gyuri would always be there for her.

Then, once upon a time, Gyuri decided to just go bold on confessing her feelings because frankly, she couldn’t keep this any longer or she felt she might get crazy.

“Saerom-ah…”

“Hmm?”

“Can we talk?”

“Sure.”

“Can you please stop writing? It’s kind of important.”

Saerom sighed but she did it anyway. “Okay fine, Your Highness. What is it?”

“I know I might sound random, but I think I like you.”

“Aww… That’s sweet. I like you too, Gaejooks.” Saerom patted Gyuri’s cheek several times before going back on working her assignments.

“Saerom-ah you don’t get me.”

“I do. You like me right?”

“I’m serious.” Gyuri pulled Saerom’s hand and forced the older girl to look at her. “I like like you. Like I want you to be my girlfriend.”

“…”

Seeing no response from her best friend, Gyuri had to shake Saerom’s shoulder. “Saerom-ah? Say something…”

“I heard you.”

“Okay…”

“But… I can’t Gyuri-yah. We can’t.” Saerom apologetically smiled.

“Why? Because we’re both girls? Come on…”

“Can you give me time to think? This is not something that I could respond immediately, okay.”

“Alright.”

“Well… I should get going too.”

That exact time, Gyuri knew that Saerom would avoid her at all cost. Because let’s face it, the target didn’t really took the bait. She huffed and silently wished that her thought was wrong.

The next two days, Saerom completely blocked Gyuri out of her life. She needed the time to think about it through. And left Gyuri in absolute sadness because the girl thought she lost a best friend plus a chance of having a relationship with Saerom.

In the midst of her brood-walking to the bus stop, suddenly a hand intertwined with her own, Gyuri didn’t need to look at the owner because she know who it was. “Is it a yes?”

“Let’s sit down and talk while waiting for the bus.” Saerom smiled, pulling Gyuri faster to the bench on the bus stop.

“So? I’m sitting down and waiting for the bus…”

“Look Gyuri. I uhmm… I appreciate what you’re feeling of me—for me…”

“I sensed a but.”

But, unfortunately I can’t reply it back. I like you as my best friend. And I don’t want to lose that—to lose you. And I will not go anywhere, I will not avoid you anymore. I’m still the Lee Saerom you’re best friends with. You can tell me everything because now, I know everything about you. And you know everything about me.”

“…”

“Gaejookie-nim? Say something!”

“How can I suppress my feelings if I stay by your side?”

“You don’t have too… But I can always wing-woman you to get a girl…”

“But I…”

“Best friends?”

“Okay…” The next best thing of not having Saerom as her girlfriend is this choice, Gyuri thought. So, she let on Saerom to do whatever she deemed right.

---

The best friend thing had gone for more than ten years. Gyuri never stopped loving Saerom although the latter seemed to do just fine as her usual best friend self. Different from Gyuri, Saerom went on dates regularly and she knew each and every time her relationship failed, there’s Gaejook to the rescue.

But recently, Gyuri felt she was such a fool to be only just a safety net for Saerom willingly while the girl that she loved didn’t seemed to care for her feelings. She loved Saerom, but she was tired. Oh Saerom… Gyuri sighed.

“Unnie!” A voice disturbed Gyuri from her thoughts.

“What Jiwon-ah?”

“It’s seven o’clock and a Friday night…”

“So?”

“So? Don’t you have a regular date with the pretty Unnie?”

Gyuri silently sighed, remembering that Saerom had texted her, informing that she was going to have a date. “She cannot make it. You, go home! It’s Friday night, you shouldn’t be here brooding with me. Go have some fun.”

“About to do that, but you sure, you’re okay alone? Every one in this floor had gone home…”

“It’s fine, I need to work on this blue print anyway.”

Jiwon shrugged. “Aight. Suit yourself Unnie.”

“Tell Jisun I said hi, okay?”

The younger girl quickly denied. “I’m not going out with her.” Cheeks flushed and eyes were shaking.

Seeing that, Gyuri laughed. “You’re such a terrible liar.”

“Bye Unnie.”

As Gyuri tried to focus back on task on hand, her phone ringed. “Boss Bae!” She answered.

“I know you’re still at your office. I’m picking you up. There’s someone I want you to meet.”

“Stop playing matchmaker with me, Eunyoung-ah.”

“Why? Because of Saerom? Oh come on, you know well you’re only her safety net and she wouldn’t do anything about your feelings! I seriously worried about you. Like worried for ten years, that’s how long I worried about you.”

“Fine. I give up. I’ll be in the lobby in five.”

“That’s more like it. I promise you, this one is as beautiful as Saerom.”

---

“This is Yoo Jina. Jina this is Gyuri the one I told you before.” Eunyoung said.

“Hi. Jang Gyuri.” Gyuri smiled as she offered her hand.

“Yoo Jina.” The said girl took Gyuri’s hand and gave it a light shake.

“Gyuri and I went to the same uni.” Eunyoung explained.

“So she’s an architect too?” Jina asked.

“Yeah. But different from her who builds skyscrapers, I only build sandcastles and Barbie houses.” Gyuri replied.

“Lies. Her clients are mostly Hallyu Stars.”

“So how the two of you can be friends? I mean, you don’t look like an architect type.” Gyuri’s turned to ask. Because somehow, she felt it was incredibly amazing for Eunyoung to be friends with someone that pretty.

“Yes, I’m a flight attendant for Korean Air and I met Eunyoung because she redesigned my apartment interior.”

“I see. That’s explained the height. Yours I mean. I—“ Gyuri scratched her head. “That sounds creepy. Sorry. I thought you are a model or something.”

Jina chuckled. “That’s okay.”

“Can I buy you another drink? For my apology.” Gyuri offered.

“Sure.”

“You want anything Boss Bae?”

“I’ll go with you.” The two walked to the bartender. And as soon as they’re out of Jina’s earshot, Eunyoung couldn’t help but to be curious. “Well…?”

“Well what?” Gyuri went on ordering the drinks she had promised the pretty woman.

“How is she?”

Gyuri inhaled. “Pretty. Tall. Nice.”

“But?”

“You know why.”

“But she’s not Saerom?”

“Hmm…” The tall woman only shrugged.

“Can you give her a try? I know she’s into you.”

“Eunyoung-ah…”

“Look Gyuri, you’re longing for Saerom while she’s having fun with her date, who’s not you by the way, so why don’t you have the same fun on your own? Just one date, I promise. If it’s awkward, then I’ll back off. And Jina too.” Eunyoung closed her arguments.

“Does today count as the date?”

“Nope. A date means you don’t have a third-wheel, me.” Eunyoung pointed herself.

“Fine.”

“One quick tip, step up your social game, Gaejooks.”

Gyuri took a deep breath before presenting the drink she had promised Jina before. She gave away her killer smile. “Once again I’m sorry. I don’t really do this kind of meeting.”

“It’s okay, really. You seem good. And I know you’re not intended to be creepy.” Jina assured.

“That I can vouch for her. Anyway, I’m terribly sorry, I gotta head back, I have to meet my future in-laws in the morning. You two be good, okay?”

Gyuri rolled her eyes. “Yes, Mom.”

Much to her surprise, Gyuri found herself comfortably conversing with this Yoo Jina. They shared the same interest in almost everything, from food to lame jokes.

“Thank you, Gyuri-yah. I had fun. And thanks for driving me home.”

“No biggies, we should do this again some other time.”

“Okay.”

“Uhh… Can I have your number?”

“Sure.”

---

“Gaejookieniiiiiiiimmmm~”

Gyuri smiled when she heard the cute tone over the phone. “What is it, Romsae?”

“Let’s hang out tonight! I know this hip new place—“

“I can’t Saerom-ah.”

Saerom shut when she heard the reply. She checked her phone’s screen just to make sure that she called the right person. The person who always available for her 24/7. “Wait… You can’t?”

“Yeah. I have an appointment tonight.”

“With?”

“A client…”

“Client? On a Friday night?”

“She’s a flight attendant. She’s only free tonight and tomorrow, and you know that I don’t like my holiday getting disturbed.”

“Err… Okay… Next time then.”

“Sorry, Saerom-ah.”

~~~

“And how come you’re not on a date right now, Unnie?” Hayoung was actually surprised that Saerom stayed that long at their shared apartment without going out on the third Friday night.

“I uhh… I wanna enjoy single life.”

“That’s the biggest BS I’ve ever heard from you.” The younger girl casually commented while working on her laptop.

“What’s that even mean?”

Hayoung sighed as she ready to pour out the sarcasm. “You can’t live alone Unnie, let alone enjoying your so called ‘single life’. You need someone that constantly have their attention solely on you.”

“Huh?” Saerom was lost.

“Do I need to spill it out for you?”

“…”

“Gyuri.”

Upon hearing the name, Saerom challenged. “What about her?”

“Oh come on.”

“What?”

“I know that she loves you more than anything in this world and this has been going on since when… our college days? And you know that she would be there every single time.”

“Okay… Your point?”

“She’s there, available and willing. Why not her?”

“Because she’s my best friend!” Saerom denied quickly.

“So?” Hayoung shrugged and left the conversation as it is.

“… She’s there, available and willing…” Saerom kept thinking what Hayoung said. “Tsk… Gyuri… And how come you strike me three weeks in a row.” Saerom grumbled and decided she should drop by Gyuri’s apartment tomorrow. Because she didn’t know how and why she missed Gyuri so much.

---

“Thank you for the dinner, Gyuri-yah.” Jina smiled once she saw Gyuri done paying for their meal.

Gyuri grinned. “Thank you for having dinner with me.” It was the third dinner the Architect had with the Flight Attendant. They were doing really well and truthfully Gyuri starting to enjoy the care Jina frequently showed her.

“It is always a pleasure. Hey, what about your new project? You seemed tired.” Like this one, the caring Jina.

“The new client is such a pain in the … buttocks.”

Jina laughed.

“Why are you laughing?”

“Nothing. It’s just funny that you always try to mind your language around me.”

“It’s called chivalry, Mi Lady.”

“So I’m your lady now?”

“… Well…”

“I was just kidding.” Jina smiled. “Let’s get you vitamins. I don’t want you to get sick.”

Gyuri was actually touched by Jina’s small action of care for her. She smiled. “What are you doing tomorrow?”

“Miss me already?”

“What if I said yes?”

Jina blushed. “Well… bad news, I have a flight to Tokyo tomorrow and will be back late.”

“Oh…” Gyuri disappointed. “Can I drive you to the airport then?”

“But it’s going to be sooooo early and you look tired. You should rest. And I know how you love your day off and lazing around.”

“I can make an exception.”

“Well then, what can I say.”

“So what time should I be on your doormat?”

“Seven a.m.”

“Alright.”

---

Gyuri was surprised when she opened her apartment door and saw Saerom who was about to punch in her lock code. “You surprised me!”

Saerom was more surprised to see Gyuri all dressed up and ready to go out. “Why are you up this early?!”

“I’m going out.”

“On a Saturday and early in the morning nonetheless?”

The taller woman scratched her head. “I have an appointment.”

“Let me guess, with the flight attendant?”

“… Yeah.”

“You’re still fixing her house?”

“No…”

“Then?”

“I promised to drive her to the airport for her flight.”

“So it’s a date?”

“Kinda…?”

“But…” Saerom scratched her head. “Why didn’t you tell me that you’re seeing someone? The other three weeks were dates with her, weren’t it?” She didn’t know why but to feel jealous that her Gyuri was going out with someone else.

Hearing the tone, Gyuri felt a bit offended and annoyed. “Well first, why should I tell you? You’re not my girlfriend or anything. Second to that, why are you acting like you’re my girlfriend?”

Saerom felt like she was being slapped by Gyuri’s words. “I’m not! I just felt betrayed that you didn’t even tell me about things!” She denied.

Gyuri exhaled loudly. “Look, it’s too early to argue and I’m sorry but I gotta go.”

“But…” Saerom only stared at Gyuri’s disappearing back. “But you like me, don’t you Gyuri-yah?”

---

“Thanks for meeting me, Eunyoungie.”

Eunyoung smiled after hugging Saerom. “So, what is it that I can help?”

“I’ll just get to the point.” Saerom took a deep breath. “You’re close to Gyuri. I mean close like brothers, so she must have been mentioned a flight attendant that she’s been seeing to you?”

Eunyoung cocked her eyebrows when she heard the jealous tone. “Why is it to you? I’m sorry but no offense—you’re not Gyuri’s girlfriend.”

“I… yeah. You’re right.” Saerom sighed. “I just want to know about this girl. I don’t want Gyuri to get the wrong girl.”

“You don’t want Gyuri to get the wrong girl or you don’t want Gyuri to get anyone but you?”

Saerom felt like being slapped for the second time on that week. “…”

“Look Saerom I know both of you since college days and frankly, I think you’re cruel to Gyuri. You can’t make her your safety net in your whole life; it’s hurting her. You act all lovey dovey with her but you told her she can’t cross the best friend line with you. That’s cruel. Have you ever think about her feelings every time she saw you holding hands with someone else? Have you ever think about her feelings in anyway?” Eunyoung looked at the silent Saerom.

The older girl felt like being slapped for the third time on that week. Truth hurts.

“You don’t have to worry. She’s with the right girl.” Eunyoung sighed. “And best friends don’t take each other for granted.” Fourth slap.

---

Saerom waited Gyuri to get out from her office building that night. She wanted to surprise her best friend and make amend for the last argument they had. But she was the one who being surprised to. She saw a very beautiful woman approached her so called best-friend, then she kissed her cheek. She saw Gyuri smiling so happily as she took the coffee cup that has been offered by the other woman.

“I thought you went to see Gyuri?” Hayoung asked once she saw Saerom restoring her coat on the nearby cupboard.

Saerom sighed. “She has a date.”

“That’s good news.”

“For her. Not for me.” The older girl took a seat beside her roommate.

“Good news for you too, Unnie. You finally don’t have to mind her feelings, right?”

“It’s not...” Saerom gripped her hair in frustation. “I think I like her.”

“You like her or you don’t want to lose your safety net? That’s two different kind of feelings, Unnie.”

“What’s wrong with you guys and safety net?!”

“Because that’s the fact, Unnie. Don’t you think Gyuri is hurting? I mean you’re kind of selfish.”

“Am I now?”

Hayoung nodded. “Yes. And for 10 years.”

“Huff…”

“You gotta make it right. Think it through. Plus, I don’t think that easy for Gyuri to forget about you to this new girl we don’t know of. So, you still have a chance.”

“We’re kind of fighting the last time I met her.”

“Then? Go kiss and make up!”

---

“Saerom-ah?” Gyuri called out after she suspected who was the one sitting in front of her apartment door.

Saerom looked up. “Hey, you’re finally home.”

“What are you doing out here and not inside? You know my password.” The taller girl quickly punched in her keylock. “It’s freezing out here.”

“I do, but it’s your house.”

“And since when do we awkward like this? Come on, it’s freezing outside.” Gyuri quickly made and served a pot of hot tea to her guest. “Here. You want something else?”

“Thank you.” Saerom smiled as she took the warm cup. “Uhm… Can we talk?” She watch Gyuri taking a seat beside her.

“Sure. About?”

“Last time. I’m sorry.” Saerom lowered her head.

“It’s okay. We passed that anyway.” Gyuri shrugged.

“Uhm… I saw you the other day.”

“When? Where?”

“In front of your office. I came by to surprise you and I got surprised instead.”

Gyuri sipped her tea. “Hmm? What do you mean?”

“I saw you with a woman. She kissed your cheek and got you coffee.”

“Oh…”

“That’s the flight attendant, isn’t she?”

“Yeah…”

“So are you guys dating or…”

“Sort of…”

“Oh…”

Gyuri sighed as she put down her mug. “Look Saerom, since we’re doing this heart to heart talk… You’ve got to know that I won’t always be around waiting for you. I still love you, yes. But I don’t think I’m capable of handling more heartbreak, so I’m dating Jina, not to be your replacement, but for me to discover myself again.” She explained.

“That’s the thing. I’m sorry it took me too long to realize that you’re the one that I want to be with after all this time. I don’t want you just to be my best friend.”

Gyuri smiled and patted Saerom’s hands. “You’re just worried I won’t be around. Don’t worry, I won’t leave you.”

---

“Happy birthday, Gyuri!”

“Thank you! Wow, this is amazing.” Gyuri admired the new watch Jina just gave her.

“It’s to remind you about your working hour. You’re getting thinner by the day.” Jina said as she poked Gyuri’s upper arm.

“One more week and I’m done.” Gyuri grinned. “Let’s eat, I’m hungry.” The couple walked out from their parked car to their favorite restaurant.

“Gyul?” A voice called out and Gyuri qas quick to find the source.

“Habbang!” The tall girl hugged her friend.

“Hey how are you?”

“I’m good I’m good. How are you?”

“I’m good. Oh you’re not alone.” Hayoung said after she noticing other woman present.

“Right sorry. Habbang this is my girlfriend, Yoo Jina. Jina-yah, this is Song Hayoung. She was my classmate back in Uni.”

“Hello, nice to meet you, Hayoung-ssi.” Jina held out her hand.

“Nice to meet you too. Wow, you’re pretty.” Hayoung shook her hand.

“Hey watch it!”

Hayoung laughed. “Don’t need to be all protective now, Gyul.”

“Sorry I took long Habb—Gyuri?”

“Hi… Romsae.” Gyuri awkwardly greeted.

“Hi…” Saerom eyed the other woman present.

“This is Yoo Jina, my girlfriend.” Gyuri introduced. “Jina-yah, this is my other classmate, Lee Saerom.”

“Are your classmates these pretty?”

“You’re prettier, don’t worry.” Gyuri reassured as she took her girlfriend’s hand to intertwine.

“Aww, Gyul!”

“Well, excuse us but I have a birthday dinner date with this one.” Gyuri apologetically smiled. She just had to get out from that awkward situation. “We should catch up sometime.”

“You’re okay?” Hayoung asked her roommate once the couple disappeared from their sight.

“I’ll be.”

---

It was months after Saerom met Gyuri and her girlfriend. She tried to forget her and went out to date again. But recently she just had enough with her current boyfriend. They have been fighting for the last week and Saerom just wanted to get out from the relationship. Because she thought no one could ever compared to Gyuri for her. “…You never understand me like her!”

“Her?!”

“What??”

“You said her. Who is she? Jang Gyuri isn’t it?”

“I didn’t—“

The man scoffed. “I never stood a chance against her, didn’t I? Even ever since the beginning?”

“I…”

“Let’s just stop this, Saerom-ah. I’m sorry.”

There were times like this Saerom wished she could go back and not being a coward.

---

Gyuri got the shock of her life when she found Saerom sitting in her living room that night. “Saerom-ah…”

“Gaejookieniiiiiiimmmmmm~ What took you soooo looooonggg?” Saerom opened her arms and stood up wobbly as she tried to hug the owner of the house.

Gyuri caught Saerom when she was about to fall on her floor. “God. Are you drunk?” She finally realized the state her best friend was currently in.

“No no no no noooo~” Saerom cutely waved her finger in front of Gyuri’s face.

“You are.”

“I’m not but I love youuuuuuu~”

“What? Let’s get you clean. Come on.” Gyuri grunted while trying to get Saerom to her bathroom.

“I love you Gaejookieeeee.” Saerom blurted that out in the midst of her best friend cleaning her face. And she tried to kiss Gyuri.

“Whoa. Stand still, Saerom-ah.” Gyuri went back on the task on hand. She then dragged her drunk best friend to her bedroom to change the dampened clothes.

“Why did you choose her? I have everything she has! And I love youuuuuuuuuuuuu~” Saerom tried to poke Gyuri’s cheek.

The tall woman successfully evaded every jab and finished her task in record time. “Stop Saerom-ah. You need to—grunt—sleep.” She put her best friend of her bed.

“Don’t leave me Gyuri-yah…”

---

Saerom woke up with massive headache. “Oooowww head!” She tried to sit up and found a note on the nightstand.

Hunting breakfast. Drink this first, ease up the headache. –Gaejooks-

Saerom looked around. “No no no no. What am I doing in here?!” She realized the awfully familiar room was not hers. Then she remembered what she did last night. “OW GOD DAMMIT! WHY SAEROM-AHHHHH??!!” She screamed to the pillow.

Gyuri only laughed when she saw the act. She actually had been home and heard Saerom awakened. “You’re awake.”

Saerom gasped. “Oowwww!” She fell down from the bed.

Gyuri was quick to help. “Easy, Saerom-ah…” She helped Saerom to sit back down on her bed. “Didn’t I tell you to drink this?”

“…Thank you.” Saerom took the pill and drank the water.

“I’m gonna bring the food here. Okay?”

Saerom only nodded.

Gyuri served the breakfast for Saerom and quietly watched her eat. “Soooo…”

“I’m sorry.” Saerom lowered her head in embarrassment because she realized how much trouble she caused Gyuri,

“For…”

“Bothering you like this.”

“Ow come on. You’re my best friend!” Gyuri grinned. “So, do you want to tell me what happened last night? You’re pretty hammered.” She chuckled.

Saerom exhaled. “I uhh… Did I say anything stupid last night?”

“Uhmm… Yeah.”

“Dammit.”

Gyuri patted the hand, assuring that it’s fine for her. “Hey, it’s okay. Because now I know that you love me.” She smiled.

Saerom’s face turned boiled red.

“So? Is it true that you love me?”

Saerom nodded.

“Really?”

The shorter girl nodded again, this time looking straight at Gyuri’s eyes.

“What do we do about that then?”

“… You have your flight attendant, I guess it’s my time to wait for you, hopefully not for ten years.”

“Well, she broke up with me. Like last week.”

“Oh… why?” Saerom tried to hide her happiness.

“She’s moving to the U.S., new job opportunity and she does not believe in long distance relationship, so we ended things in peace.” Gyuri explained.

“So…?”

So… Lee Saerom, how about you sober up first, huh?” Gyuri kissed Saerom’s head. “… And shower too, please?” She tidied up the breakfast tray.

Saerom giggled.

“Oh and another thing…”

“Yes?”

“I love you too, Saerom-ah.”


hello! how are you guys?