"CP"

Gyuri-Saerom

CP

Saerom was walking hastily, catching up with the subway because she was sure she’s late. She heard the notification of door’s closing when she was just steps away from the train. “Wait wait wait!”

Saerom felt a tug on her hand and she was softly landed on something—someone to be precised. “T-thanks.” She looked up and found a couple of warm eyes and definitely a charming smile.

“No biggie.” The kind stranger smiled again. “Are you okay?” She made sure Saerom held on to the subway’s pole and stood up straight.

“Yes.” Saerom fixing her purse’s grip. “Are you okay? I’m pretty sure I landed on you hard.” She grinned.

The taller girl chuckled. “I’m fine.” The train stopped at the next station and more people went in. The tall girl quickly shielded Saerom from the crowd. She extended both of her arms beside Saerom so she didn’t crush her.

Saerom was very grateful of this good Samaritan she met. “You okay?”

“Trying to. Can you breathe?”

“Yes, you can come closer you know. Easing your hands. Because the business district is 5 more stations.”

The tall girl quickly checked the map above her. “Oh yeah, you’re right.” She looked at Saerom. “I’m sorry I’m going to lessen our distance.” She bended her elbows. “Can you still breathe?”

It looked like the tall girl almost hug her. Saerom swore she could inhale her perfume and it was really good. “Yeah, I’m okay. I’m Saerom by the way.”

 “Gyuri.”

“Yuri?”

“Gyuri.”

“I’m sorry I didn’t catch that.”

The tall girl leaned in, “Gyuri.” She said near Saerom’s ear.

Saerom caught the whiff of the taller girl and her heart skipped a beat. “Nice to meet you, Gyuri-ssi.”

“Likewise, Saerom-ssi. So, you’re commuting to work?” Gyuri asked, noticing the business attires.

“Yeah. And you?”

“I’m… I’m going home actually.”

“Oh.”

“I mean I landed two hours ago, took the AREX and continued my journey with this.”

Saerom saw that Gyuri only had her backpack. “You sure travel light.”

“Ah yeah…” Gyuri chuckled. “Where do you work, if you don’t mind me asking.”

“Don’t mind at all.” Saerom reassured. “I uhh… I work for the government actually.”

“Oh… Which ministry?”

“The Ministry of The Foreign Affair.” She showed her nametag.

“Lee Saerom.” Gyuri read. “I was always wondering you know, working for the government. All the secrecy and bureaucracy.”

“You must have seen too much spy movies. It’s just working for a super big company.”

The train announces a station name.

“Here I am.”

“Here I am.”

The two said in unison and rushed out the train.

“You live here?” Saerom dared to ask. It was a bit weird because it was the palace’s complex.

“Yea, around here.” Gyuri answered. “Uhm, my exit is that way.” She pointed the direction behind her.

“Well, my exit is the other way around.” Saerom was a bit sad to be parted to this kind soul, Gyuri. “Thank you for today, Gyuri-ssi.”

“You’re very welcome, Saerom-ssi.” Gyuri grinned. “Well, I’ll see you around.” She waved and covered her head with her hoodie while walking towards her exit.

“Gyeongbookgoong Exit.” Saerom read the writing. She tilted her head. “Nah—she must have lived nearby.” She dismissed her thoughts.

---

“UNNIE!”

“Ow yah Jiwon-ah! You surprised me.”

The girl named Jiwon laughed. “Sorry, it’s just that you’re so deep in your thought. Anything excited?”

“I met this girl on the subway this morning. She’s very very very attractive and super kind. She was like my human shield from the crowd. And she said she lived nearby. We both got off at the station near here.”

Jiwon found it funny. “There’s no housing compound within the 3 miles perimeter Unnie. The only housing compound is The Palace. Maybe you heard her wrong. Maybe she said she was visiting The Palace. A tourist.”

Saerom looked at Jiwon. “No, I’m pretty sure she said she lives nearby.”

“Subway could be noisy, you know.”

Saerom then shrugged off her thoughts. “Maybe you’re right.”

Their phones then dinged.

“Same meeting?”

Saerom nodded.

“Well gotta touch up since The Royals are coming.” Jiwon said.

---

“What kind of sudden meeting is this, Unnie?” Seoyeon—one of Saerom’s junior asked.

“I don’t know. The Royals want to make an announcement.”

After all of the Ministry members gathered, The Royal Family of South Korea went into the hall. The King, The Queen, their guards, Princess Jiheon, and one last person Saerom was able to recognize quickly. “Gyuri…” She breathed out.

“The correct term is, Your Royal Highness Crown Prince Jang Gyuri.”

“Wh—why I never heard her?”

“Because she was studying abroad.” Seoyeon said.

“No, she was in training with Japan and US Military.” Jiwon quickly said after googling Jang Gyuri.

“Good afternoon, Ladies and Gentlemen, Parliament and Member of the Ministry. It is an honour for The Royal Family to announce Her Royal Highness Crown Prince Jang Gyuri has finished her education, training and grooming. She would be actively helping The Royal Family—me in particular for the daily duties. Therefore, good cooperation is expected throughout the Ministries to assist Her Royal Highness Crown Princes Jang Gyuri.” The King stated.

Gyuri smoothened her suit and bowed in front of the government officials. “Please take care of me.”

---

“It’s official Unnie!!”

“What??!!”

“The Crown Prince is coming!”

“Today?”

“Yeah today!!”

“Guys, look presentable, Her Royal Highness is downstairs as we speak.” Saerom’s Head Division announced. “Lee Saerom, Lee Seoyeon come with me!”

“Yes Sunbae.”

Saerom took a peek from the meeting room to find Gyuri was handshaking all of her teammate one by one and was heading to their direction. She thought that this Gyuri was very different from the one she met on the subway. Still the same smile nonetheless. She thought.

“Good morning Your Royal Highness. It is a pleasure to meet you.” Saerom’s division head did the courtesy bow and greeted.

“Good morning.” Gyuri shook his hand.

“This is our best officers in the Foreign Affair Ministry. Lee Seoyeon and Lee Saerom.”

Saerom felt stares on her. She then caught the familiar whiff of perfume getting closer. She took a deep breath and bowed before the Prince. “Good Morning, Your Royal Highness.”

Their eyes met and Gyuri couldn’t help to grin. “Good Morning, Saerom-ssi.” She then took the designated seat and handed a folder. She cleared . “So, my goal by coming here is to familiarize with your staffs and also to hire personal assistant for me. The one that would be responsible for my schedule, my wellness, my life.” She looked at Saerom again. “And since Mr. Kim had introduced two of the best members, I think, Ms. Lee Saerom can start working with me today.”

“It would be an honour for The Foreign Affair Ministry, Your Royal Highness.”

Saerom felt a nudge on her elbow. “Y-Yes, Your Royal Highness. It would be my honour to serve you.”

“Alright.” Gyuri stood up. “Uhm, Chaeng.” She called out one of her guards.

“Kindly help and Ms. Lee Saerom to my palace.”

“Noted, Your Royal Highness.”

“Saerom-ssi, this is Ms. Lee Chaeyoung, she will help you pack and move to my palace.”

“M-Move?”

“Your work station would be at my palace since you’re now my PA.”

---

Saerom was in awe when she arrived at the Crown Prince’s Castle. She felt she was like in a fairytale until she felt a person standing in front of her.

“Welcome Saerom-ssi.”

“O-oh!” Saerom quickly bowed. “Your Royal Highness.”

“Okay, uhm, Chaeng’s gonna help you setting up your workplace. It’s gonna be in my study and then we’re gonna have lunch before arranging my schedule. If you need anything, don’t hesitate to reach out for me or Chaeng.”

“Chaeng?”

“Oh, that’s me Saerom-ssi. I’m Lee Chaeyong remember? Everyone calls me Chaeng.”

“Okay, you can just call me Saerom or Unnie maybe? You look younger.”

“True. She’s younger than us. You and I are the same age, Saerom-ah. Can I call you that?”

“O-Of course Your Royal Highness.”

“You can always call me Gyuri or Gyul or CP. Your Royal Highness is too long.”

“But that’s gonna be rude, Your Royal Highness.”

“True, you can call me those when we’re in here. Everyone in here calls me CP.”

“CP?”

“Short for Crown Prince.”

Saerom chuckled. “Right.”

“Well then. Imma steal snacks from the kitchen, you welcome to roam around The Palace.”

“Thank you CP.” Saerom smiled.

“See it’s short and friendly. See you around Saerom-ah.”

---

After several months working together with The Crown Prince, Saerom was still amazed on how smart The Crown Prince she’s currently serving. She could make an efficient strategy within minutes. She couldn’t help but to be more mesmerised by her. And she’s like very hot with those sunglasses on.

Gyuri was visiting the Naval Base of South Korea that day and checking on the position in the border with the north.

“Thank you for having me, General.”

“Thank you for having us, Your Royal Highness.” The said General bowed before saluting The Crown Prince.

“At ease.” Gyuri commanded. She then walked to Saerom. “Hot?” She saw Saerom shielding her eyes. She shared her umbrella with Saerom and softly pushed her back to start walking beside her.

Saerom was too preoccupied with the thought of a hot Crown Prince with her sunglasses on. “Sorry, I didn’t catch you, Your Highness.”

“The weather. Very hot. I need something cold.”

“Cola, Your Highness?”

“Yes please Habbang. One for Saerom too.”

“Noted Your Highness.”

Then Saerom quickly realized something. She took over the umbrella.

“Hey! It’s mine!” Gyuri defended her umbrella.

“I should be the one to hold that, Your Royal Highness.”

“I’m sorry. I know. But you’re shorter than me, I wouldn’t be able to see the road, Saerom-ah.”

“Apology in advance, but I would’ve slapped you if you were not the Crown Prince.” It was an usual thing to see in the Crown Prince’s Palace Household. The two bickering, thanks to Saerom braveness and Gyuri’s laid back personality.

Gyuri snickered. “Sorry but it’s too funny.” She then held the car door open and signalled Saerom to get in.

“You get in first.”

“Ignoring my command?”

Saerom sighed in defeat. She went inside the black sedan.

Gyuri grinned and handed the umbrella to one of her guards before following Saerom inside the car. “So where to after this?” The Crown Prince asked, wiping a can of Coca Cola before opening it and handed to her Assistant.

The little things like this that always swayed Saerom’s heart. “Thank you, CP.” She said. “You have… dinner with your father this evening.” Saerom informed when she found the schedule on her iPad.

“Well, do you have any plan tonight?”

“Ummm no.”

“Join us.”

“Um. I can be there. But I cannot join you and His Majesty, CP.”

“Stupid rules.” Gyuri leaned her back, frustrated. “Well, guess you can go home after this, I only have dinner with Appa.”

---

“Your Majesty.” Gyuri bowed.

“Gyul!” The King signalled Gyuri to take a seat beside him.

“Where’s Umma and Jiheon?”

“She’s with your sister, hunting for Uni.” The father answered. “So how’s working with me?”

Gyuri chuckled. “Tiring. Because I felt the burden on my shoulder.”

“That’s you should feel. Because this entire nation lays on your shoulder.”

“Wow, pretty heavy for a casual dinner you mentioned, Appa.”

“Well there’s another thing I want you to do.”

“What is it—“ Gyuri looked at her father and quickly knew what he meant by another thing. ”No. I was just working for you for two months.”

“Please? I’m not getting younger, Gyul.”

“I’ll think about it okay. Getting married is not that easy. I don’t even have anyone to start with.”

“Alright.”

---

Gyuri was awfully silent that day. She only stares at her iPad or threw her glance outside. Quietly sipping her coffee, just not bickery.

Saerom looked at her watch and it was almost lunch break. So she cleared . “Uhm, You Highness.”

“Yes?”

“It’s almost lunch. Don’t you want to steal something from the pantry?” Saerom winked.

Gyuri managed to laugh. “You know, you can be hanged in the yard for stealing Palace’s goods.”

“Hey I’m not the culprit here. I was just witnessing you.”

“Wait. I have better idea.” Gyuri grinned before taking Saerom’s hand to her bedroom.

Several minutes later the two changed into plain clothes. “Your Highness this is not a better idea.”

“You’ll see, it’s gonna be fun!” Gyuri took her wallet and put on a cap. “Let’s go.” She took Saerom’s hand again before sneaking outside the palace.

“Where are we going, Your—” Gyuri quickly covered Saerom’s mouth.

“Gyul. Just call me Gyul.” They were already outside The Palace, heading to the nearest entrance of the subway station. She then wrapped Saerom’s arm around her own. “Now act like we’re a happy couple.”

“O…kay.”

“I know this yummy bbq place in Gangnam.”

The train door was about to close, but Gyuri was swift enough to get inside and pulled Saerom inside. “You okay?” She tried to get Saerom something to hold on to and to stand up straight.

Realizing the similar situation Saeom giggled.

“What? Why are you giggling?” Gyuri looked at Saerom.

“You don’t remember?”

“Remember what—Oof.” Gyuri shield Saerom from the crowd so that she won’t be crushed.

Saerom pulled Gyuri closer so her hand wouldn’t have to suffer carrying the weights of people.

“Can you breathe, Saeromie?” Gyuri said near Saerom’s ear.

Saerom blushed when she heard the gentle tone oh so clear to her ear. She hid her face so she only nodded.

“You sure?” Gyuri pulled Saerom by the chin to check on her. That’s when her eyes automatically drop to Saerom’s lips.

“I’m okay, Gyul.”

The tall girl was liking the way Saerom called her nickname. “Okay, good.” Gyuri looked up to the map above her. “Good thing we’re only two stations away.”

The train announced their destination.

Gyuri wrapped her arm around Saerom and made way to the door. “Why it was so crowded?”

“Hmm… Gyul…” Saerom pointed the TV Screen. There was a nation-wide broadcast to search for the missing Crown Prince.

“The heck… we were just out for thirty minutes and Appa issued a nation-wide man hunting????”

Saerom gasped when a security office walking closer to them. She quickly cupped Gyuri’s face and lowered her hat, pretending to kiss her.

Gyuri froze when she saw how close their faces are.

Saerom peeked after a minute went by. “Phew.” She quickly fixed Gyuri’s hat. “Shouldn’t we go back?”

“But we haven’t eaten…”

“Fine. We eat then I call for Chaeng. I cannot live with this kind of suspense.”

---

“WHAT WERE YOU THINKING, CROWN PRINCE?!! IT WAS A VERY RECKLESS ACTION.”

Saerom winced when she heard the loud tone from The King.

Gyuri just kneeled quietly, “I apologize for my foolishness, Your Majesty. I assure you, those action would not happen again in the future.”

“I’m pulling you out from all activity for a week, and Ms. Lee Saerom is on suspension without pay for a week.”

Gyuri shot an angry look at her father. “Appa, it’s not her fault. It’s mine. I take full responsibility for this stunt. She was actually the one who called for back up. Don’t punish her for my faults.”

“Fine. I’m suspending all of your liquid facility for a week.”

“Duly noted, Your Majesty. Thank you for your kindness.”

---

Gyuri sighed and then looked at Saerom. “Well at least I get to be punished with you.” She took a seat on the couch next to Saerom and grinned.

“With all due respect, we should have a proper plan next time you want to sneak out the palace. At least we should coordinate with this part of palace so that everyone would cover our asses, Your Royal Highness.” Saerom stated.

“Right. Sorry Saerom-ah.”

“But it was fun and the barbecue to die for.”

“See. It was a fun date, wasn’t it.” Gyuri grinned. “So what’s my schedule other than brooding with you in here?”

“Mandatory dinner with your family.”

“Full house?”

“Yes.”

Gyuri let out an exasperated sigh.

---

“Crown Prince, this is Duchess Roh Jisun.”

Gyuri looked at her sister, asking for explanation.

Jiheon smirked and mouthed ‘wife’.

“Your Royal Highness.” The said Duchess bowed.

“Your Grace.” Gyuri politely smiled before taking her hand to kiss.

“She’s your junior at Saint Andrew’s.” Her Appa informed.

Gyuri looked at the younger girl. “Really? Same major?”

The young girl smilingly shook her head. “No, I took medicine studies, I’m two years below you, Your Royal Highness.”

“Jiheon is going to attend Saint Andrew’s too next year.” This one came from Gyuri’s mother.

Gyuri quickly looked at her younger sister, baffled. “You are?”

Jiheon rolled her eyes. “Yes Unnie.”

“So what do you do these days, Jisun-ah?” All of the dinner party were enjoying the tea. The King initiated the conversation.

“I help father managing his pharmaceutical business, Your Majesty.”

“I heard you establishing a charity for kids who want to be doctors too, right?” The Queen reconfirmed.

“Ah… yes, Your Majesty.”

“Kind, smart and beautiful don’t you think, Gyul?” The King looked at her successor.

Gyuri quickly pestered a smile. “Indeed, Your Majesty.”

They were conversing more until it was the time for Jisun to leave.

“Thank you for having me, Your Majesties, Your Royal Highnesses.” She politely bowed.

Gyuri, being the master of chivalry, escorted the girl to the awaiting car and hurriedly walked back once the car left. “What was that?” She asked her father.

“What was what?” Her mother asked, confused.

“That. Her. The dinner.”

The King quietly sipped her remaining tea before answering, “She’s one of your best suitors. Thought I could help you…”

“By purchasing a wife for me?”

“His father is a Duke who owns the biggest pharmaceutical networking in the world, Gyul.”

“With all due respect, punishing me for my stupid stunt is fine, I understand, but this… No. I don’t want to be married to someone I don’t even know. Even William is married to a commoner, Appa.” The Crown Prince stormed off.

---

“CP…”

Gyuri glanced at Saerom before towing her too. She took out her car and drove off with Saerom.

“Mind telling me where we are going?”

Gyuri finally stopped when they were at the top of one hill near the palace.

Saerom quickly texted Chaeyoung about their whereabout. She then take a look at Gyuri. “You okay, CP?”

“…”

“…CP?”

“Call me Gyul.”

“Are you okay, Gyul-ah?”

Saerom was in shock when Gyuri hugged her. “I’m tired.” Gyuri whispered.

The shorter girl calmly patted the Crown Prince’s back.

“You know why I didn’t stay in Korea? Why I choose to move out of the palace?” Gyuri suddenly blurted, letting go of their hold. “Because I don’t want to rule this nation. I don’t want to be their future King. I just want to be… me. Jang Gyuri. An art student. A film maker. I hated when my friends treated me differently because they know my status, my title, my rank or that when they took me for granted. I hated when people scared of me. I hated that I have to obey every single rule, even on how I walk. How I eat. How I talk. I just—sigh. But then they have Jiheon. And I can’t just drop her the responsibility. I can’t put her what I’ve been through.”

Saerom felt sad when she heard about the blurted confession. She realized how it was so lonely to be Gyuri. She didn’t know what to say but she swore she was going to be her bestest friend.

Gyuri took a deep breath. “Sorry. Saerom-ie. For dropping all of that to you.”

Saerom patted Gyuri’s hand. “It’s okay, Gyul-ah. I’m here. I will always be here if you need to talk.”

“Thank you, Saerom-ie. Ice cream?”

“I’ll call Chaeyoung to follow us behind. Please drive slowly.”

“Alright.”

---

“You went out on a date with Ms. Lee Saerom?”

Gyuri stopped munching her bread. She was having breakfast with her mother. “Excuse me, Umma?”

“Here.” Her mother showed the headlines.

Gyuri chuckled. “That was not a date, for sure.” She handed back the tablet.

“Then?”

“Remember when I was angry at Appa after dinner with Duchess Roh?”

“Yes.”

“She actually calmed me down and as a thank you I bought her ice cream and then drove her home.” Gyuri sipped her coffee. “Even Chaeng’s car was behind me. If I want to date someone, I would be totally discreet, Umma.”

Her mother grinned. “But about Duchess Roh…”

“What about her?”

“Just be kind to her. Make your Appa happy.”

Gyuri was just tired about that so she just complied. “Noted Umma.”

“Good girl.”

“Morning, CP.”

“Morning morning.” Gyuri then remembered something. “Anyway, congrats, the nation thought we’re dating.”

“Huh?”

“Open Dispatch and you’ll see.”

Saerom laughed when she saw the headlines. “Now I know why my friends have been bugging me about you.”

“What’s my schedule for today, Saerom-ie?”

“Assa! We are going out!”

“Huh?”

“You’re going to visit LG Chem.”

“With?”

“His Majesty The King.”

Gyuri cursed.

“Why, CP?”

“It’s another matchmaking trial.”

“Matchmaking?”

“Appa has been bugging me about getting married. Now he tried to match me up with the LG Chem Owner’s daughter.”

“Duke Roh?”

“Yes. How did you know him?”

“I used to manage their export-import legal documents back in the Ministry.” Saerom explained. “Her daughter was actually the one who pushed the expansion with her invention.”

“Invention?”

“Do you know why our skincare are widely sold around the globe?”

“Ummm… No…”

“Roh Jisun is the inventor of the chemical balance that actually make skin healthier. She then quadrupling her father business by co-ownering her formula.”

“That actually scares me.”

“Scare? Why?”

“If she is going to be my wife, I would have to be really careful.”

“Why?”

“Why. You asked?? She’s master in chemistry. She could slip me a lethal poison when I bought a wrong veggie or grocery.”

Saerom laughed. “True. Don’t marry her, CP. She’s lethal.” She commented.

Both are laughing.

---

Gyuri silently walked behind her father. His father was on the other hand was very excited to chat with Jisun. Maybe you should marry her instead. She then thought about something and fished out her phone.

To: Saeromie
Where are you?

From: Saeromie
Three rows behind you

Gyuri quickly took a peek and saw the short Saerom tried to surpass Chaeyoung tall shoulder. She chuckled and wrote another reply.

To: Saeromie
You’re wearing heels and still cannot see through Chaeng’s shoulder?

From : Saeromie
Don’t blame me you have Seoul Tower as your guard.

From: Saeromie
Don’t text me! Your soon to be wife are going to poison us. I don’t want to die.

Gyuri chuckled before pocketing back her phone.

Saerom smiled when she saw the laugh of her Crown Prince. Wait, My Crown Prince? Well technically she belongs to her people and I happen to be her people—stop talking Saerom-ah.

“What’s so funny, Crown Prince?”

“No, nothing Your Majesty.” Gyuri flashed her charming smile.

“I hope I didn’t bore you, Your Royal Highness.” Jisun said.

“No no, not at all. I’m pretty impressed by what you’re doing here, expanding Korean brand worldwide.” Gyuri commented, thanks to Saerom for all of the information.

From : Saeromie
Nice save.

To : Saeromie
You bought us another live. Thank you Saeromie.

---

“CP—Whoa…” Saerom couldn’t help but to stare.

Gyuri smirked. “Am I that good looking?” She fixed the medals dangling on her left pocket. 

“Actually you are.”

“Aww… thanks Saeromie.” Gyuri was wearing her royal uniform. She was scheduled to take a photo profile. The Crown Prince turned around. “Selfies?”

“Yes please.” Saerom snapped several pictures of them. “Can I have a mirror selfie?”

“Sure.” Gyuri faced the mirror again. She then felt an arm snaking her own and looked how perfect their hands snuggled together. It was a prefect picture. Saerom holding’s Gyuri’s arm while taking the picture while Gyuri oh so lovingly look at their intertwined arms. Looking like a married couple, completed with Saerom wearing an allwhite dress and shoes.

“So good.” Saerom commented, trying to hide her blushing cheeks.

“Airdrop me please?”

“Sure.”

It was hours ago when the Crown Prince had to take pictures with her royal uniform, but she didn’t want to take it off.

“Isn’t it hot wearing that?” Saerom commented.

“It is, but you said that I’m y with this.”

Saerom palmed her face. “Oh My God can you please stop replaying that, it was one time. One time CP.”

Apparently the Crown Prince overheard Saerom describing how y she was wearing that uniform on a phone call with Jiwon.

“Please, change? You’re sweating bullets.”

“Alright. Can we have dinner after this?”

“Uhm actually, you have dinner with Duchess Roh.”

“What?”

A freshly showered and dejected Jang Gyuri was ready to greet Roh Jisun on her porch. The black sedan finally came. As a gentlewoman herself, Gyuri helped Jisun out of her car. “Good evening Your Grace.” She kissed the hand she was holding.

“Good evening, Your Royal Highness. Thank you for the dinner invitation.”

“Yes.” Gyuri shortly answered. “This way please.” She led the way to her palace’s dining room. The two didn’t talk much. They were just exchanging pleasantries here and there. The Crown Prince quietly took out her phone and unlocked it. She smiled when she saw her background picture.

To : Saeromie
Went home already?

From : Saeromie
Nope, still at your study. Why? She poisoned you???

To : Saeromie
If she’s not I will poison myself. I’m bored. Come save me Saeromie.

From : Saeromie
2 minutes.

Saerom did as she promised. “Good evening Your Royal Highness, Your Grace. Terribly sorry to barge in.”

“I’m sorry Your Grace.” Gyuri getting her action on. “What is it Saerom-ssi?”

“There’s this…” Saerom intentionally stopped, glanced at Jisun before moving closer to whisper at Gyuri. “There’s this chocolate chip and cookie ice cream waiting for you in the pantry. It looks very tasty I was contemplating to steal it.”

“That serious?” The Crown Prince too, intentionally let out that comment.

Saerom nodded pestering a panic/serious face.

Gyuri sighed. “I don’t know how to apologize to you Your Grace but we have to—”

“I understand, Your Royal Highness. It is time for us to bid goodbye too. Thank you for having me.”

“Your Grace.” Gyuri smiled and nodded after she received the bow. “Saerom-ssi, could you please Duchess Roh to her car so I could resolve the matter at hand?”

Saerom saw the sly hint on Gyuri smile. “Yes Your Royal Highness.” She bowed. “Your Grace, this way.”

“You’re taking your sweet time with the Duchess, Saeromie.” Gyuri handed an ice cream spoon to Saerom.

“Her driver was asleep I have to get Habbang to get him, CP.” The shorter girl took the spoon. “What is this?”

“Sharing?” Gyuri took the lid off. “I can’t possibly eat this alone Saeromie.”

“You didn’t have to. You can save it for tomorrow.”

“Right.” Gyuri didn’t think about it. “But there’s no fun eating alone. Come on. I’ll drive you home after this.”

“No no.” Saerom took a bite. “Thank you but Habbang’s driving me home, CP.”

“Why?”

“Because I just knew that she lives near my apartment.”

“But I can take you less than thirty minutes for an hour drive.”

“But you’re wasting your good taxpayer people money just to drive me home.”

“How?”

“Let’s see... It would need at least 4 cars. Yours and 3 other guard cars. You will be clearing the highway, that means extra money for unnecessary roadblock and patrol officers’ overtime, plus if I’m not mistaken your father had added an extra eye in the sky just to monitor your movement. Waste of money.”

Gyuri chuckled when she realized she was being checkmated and rejected with a very satisfying explanation. “Okay. I admit my defeat. No more driving you home.” She was actually wanted to kiss  Saerom there and then.

“Thank you CP.”

“But I can always accompany your night train ride.”

“NO!” Saerom quickly covered her boss’ mouth. “No more wrath from His Majesty on us.”

“Thought we could plan better to avoid that. Besides, it’s night time. We’ll be fine. People are too tired to notice I’m among them. Plus it can be our little dates.”

“I don’t like that idea at all.”

“We’ll fly next week, yes?”

“What should I do with you?”

“Not going home with Habbang that’s one.”

Are you jealous? Saerom shook her head as she followed her boss movement with her eyes. She then hopped off her chair.

“I let you slide today, no more going home with Habbang, you hear?”

“Yes, Your Royal Highness.”

---

They did the trial three times and nothing happened. Everything went so smooth. Gyuri didn’t even need Chaeyoung or Hayoung to shadow her. So today she felt confident walking Saerom home. She had chance to hooded jersey jacket, pair of jeans, a hat, plus a pair of glass and a mask.

“How do I look?”

“Like a University Student and I look like your aunt.” Saerom commented on how different their outfit.

“You can always change with my clothes.”

“Tomorrow. I just don’t have any energy left, I just wanna go home.”

“Okay let’s get you home.” Gyuri extended her hand for Saerom to hold.

Saerom was getting use to it. She happily took the hand and interlocked their fingers. It was another thing that becoming her habit.

“Oh oh, can we stop at the street food near your building?” Gyuri asked once they were in the train. As usual, Gyuri was shielding Saerom from the crowd, but the crowd was not as full as the rush hour.

“Which street food?”

“Tteokpokki! It looks so good I need to taste it.”

“Fine Gyul-ah. My treat.”

“Yay! Thank you Saeromie.” Gyuri cutely said.

Saerom couldn’t help but to pinch the taller girl’s cheek.

Gyuri swung their intertwined hand happily as she got nearer the tteokpokki stand. Saerom silently smiled when she saw the taller girl’s antics.

“Omoni two portions to go please.” Saerom said to the seller. She then handed the money in exchange for the Tteokpokki.

“Your husband is very handsome.” The street vendor commented.

“Ah really? Thank you.” Saerom lit up when she heard the comment. Not about Gyuri’s appearance but about the husband part. “You’re handsome, Seobang.” She patted Gyuri’s cheek before holding her hand again.

Gyuri only bowed to her praiser.

“Now let’s go home and eat.” Saerom dragged Gyuri to her apartment. “Welcome to my humble house.” Saerom said once she opened the door. “You change your shoes with these slippers. I’ll set up our dinner, okay?”

“Thank you Saeromie.” Gyuri was admiring Saerom’s apartment. Yes she has not once visited her subordinate house. It was not small, but not big either, it was fit. It felt like… “Home…”

“Gyul-ah…”

“Coming!”

---

“Oh sorry, tteokpokki is sold out. How about oden? It’s almost finish.” The street vendor offered. The young couple has been stopping by every day of the week. But they were a bit later than usual.

“How about it Seobang?” Saerom looked at the Crown Prince. Since the Tteok Omonim thought they were a married couple, the two kept their act.

“Do you want it, Buin?”

Saerom shrugged. “I’m fine with anything.”

“One oden and one kimbab please, Omoni.” Gyuri ordered and handed cash to the seller. She then noticed that Saerom was freezing. She took Saerom’s hands and rounded it inside her coat. “Better?”

Saerom nodded as she tucked herself under Gyuri’s chin absorbing her warmth.

“I can’t stay long today.” Gyuri said.

“Why?”

“Appa started to spy on our palace sooo… Sorry…”

Saerom huffed. If only I could stop the time and have you by my side.

Little did she know Gyuri was thinking about the same thing.

---

Gyuri felt something went wrong today. She just finished practicing golf and realized that Saerom missing from morning. She checked her phone and found no notification from her assistant. “Hey Chaeng. Where’s Saerom?”

“His Majesty summoned her, CP.” Chaeyoung answered.

Gyuri bolted once she heard the answer.

“Her Royal Highness Crown Princ—Y” Gyuri went pass the guard and barged into his father office only to see Saerom getting up from kneeling with tears threatened to fall.

Her assistant gave a bow—one that felt like a final bow before walking away. Gyuri then looked at her father and scattered papers on his desk.

Those are their pictures. Pictures from Gyuri’s trip to walk Saerom home, from the fourth day until yesterday. Total of three-month worth of pictures.

“It’s for your best, Gyul.”

“What did you do?”

“She resigned.”

“What. Did. You. Do.”

“She handed me her resignation letter.”

Gyuri refused to believe that and ran after Saerom. “Saerom-ah!” She called out once she arrived at her palace. She quickly ran to her study. “Stop.” She said when she saw Saerom picking up her things. “I said stop.” She held Saerom’s hands.

“It’s okay Gyul. He transferred me back to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.”

“No no no no. Not like this, I can’t live without you Saeromie.”

Saerom wiped her own tears when she heard the sentence. “It’s okay. We can always see each other. I’m just two buildings away.”

“But I love you Saeromie…”

“Our love was not meant for this lifetime Gyul-ah.” Saerom kissed Gyuri’s cheek before walking out their shared office.

---

Earlier that day, two of The King’s guards Saerom recognized came to her and gave the news that His Majesty wanted to talk to her. She thought it would be about arranging schedule with her daughter. But she was wrong. The King handed her stack of pictures of her and The Crown Prince. “Miss Lee, I understand the nature of overwhelming feelings that could happen when you stuck working together with someone. But we can’t afford this kind of affairs.”

Saerom was in shock, felt like they have been caught red handed. She kneeled down. “Your Majesty, I can explain…”

“If you love her, I believe that you understand that she’s going to be The King of this country and the duty is the crown. And for that, I believe that you understand that we can’t approve your relationship.” The King stated.

“Y-Your Majesty…”

“I give you two choices. You’ll resign and I will transfer you back to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, you can still see her and working with her through limited access. Or If you tried to pursue Her Royal Highness Crown Prince in anyway, I will put your career with our government to an end, I shall block the access of you from seeing her in person.”

Saerom accepted her fate. “I’ll resign, Your Majesty.”

“Good choice.” The King then handed her a piece of paper. “You can sign your resignation letter.”

“Thank you for being so forgiven and kind, Your Majesty.” Saerom bowed.

“Her Royal Highness Crown Prince—Y”

She stood up and bowed at her boss for one last time. She couldn’t even greet Gyuri with her proper title.

---

Gyuri went through her days like a robot. Everything was programmed by her father and she was just getting through it day by day. She usually sat for hours in her study to stare at the empty desk across her or just looked at her phone’s background picture or scroll their old messages.

She missed Saerom. She missed Saerom so much, her head was only filled with Saerom. Her smile, her laugh, her checkmate replies, her hug, their time together.

“Gyul?” Her mother called.

Gyuri automatically regained her poker face. “Yes Umma?”

“Sleep. You’ll need a lot of energy tomorrow.”

“Yes Umma.”

Gyuri was dreading about tomorrow, because it was her engagement day with Roh Jisun.

---

If Saerom had one wish, she would’ve wished that yesterday was her last day on earth, because then she would miss this royal engagement that being broadcasted nation-wide. Every single click of the channel of tv, radio, or even spotify was about Gyuri and Jisun. When she moved to social media, it was flooding with those headlines too.

She had taken a day off from her office to avoid this, but then she realized she couldn’t go anywhere.

It was until then she realized she had not eaten any single food for the day, so she headed out. She cursed when she realized where she was standing.

“Oh hi. Tteokpokki?” The warm shop owner offered.

“Ah yes, one please, Omoni.”

“Where’s your handsome husband? I rarely see her around these days.”

Saerom tried to smile as she paid for her food. “We’re divorced, Omoni.”

“Oh I’m sorry.” The Tteok Omonim sincerely said. “Don’t worry there are plenty other fish in the sea, young lady.”

“Yeah. Thank you Omoni.” There are plenty other fish in the sea, but I just want one of them. Saerom sadly replied that on her mind.

---

It was months after the Royal Engagement day. Everything was finally felt normal again for Saerom. She cursed when she looked at her watch. She was really late for work. She went directly to the meeting room since her Division Head had instructed her. “Sunbae, I’m sorry for coming in soooo late, the subway was so—” She stopped when she saw the person standing inside the meeting room.

“Saerom-ssi.” The Crown Prince greeted.

Saerom quickly gave her curtsy bow. “Your Royal Highness.” And avoided any eye contact with Gyuri.

Gyuri was actually looking forward to see Saerom that day. She was elated when she was waiting for Saerom. But the second Saerom saw her, she caught the hurt stare from Saerom and the happiness suddenly turned to somber.

Saerom was trying to concentrate on the task on hand but she was so distracted on the ring on Gyuri’s hand.

“Saerom-ah?”

“Yes Sunbae?”

“Do you get it?”

“I’m sorry I was kinda distracted, can you explain it again?”

“So Her Royal Highness and her fiancée are going to start their trip to the monarchies after their wedding next month. I believe you could pull off any legal requirement for their arrivals?”

Wedding. Next month??? Saerom shot a questioning look at Gyuri. But then revert back to confirm to her boss. “Yeah sure. But I would be needing your fiancee’s documents, Your Royal Highness.”

“Noted. I will talk to Jisun about that. Our office will be in contact with you.” Gyuri then stood up. “Well thank you for the help, Mr. Kim.” They shook hands.

Gyuri offered her hand to Saerom. “Thank you Saerom-ssi.”

“My pleasure, Your Royal Highness.” Saerom took the hand and felt the jolt of warmth she used to have. And every feeling she tried to compress pouring heavily.

And so did Gyuri.

---

“His Majesty inside?” Gyuri asked when she saw the guard outside her father’s office.

“Yes Your Royal Highness.”

“Okay. Go quickly do your thing.” Gyuri rushed.

The guard took a deep breath. “Her Royal Highness Crown Prince Jang Gyuri has arri—“

Gyuri stormed inside without letting the guard finished her arrival. “I can’t. I can’t Appa. I’m trying to go with your way but no. I can’t do it anymore. I can’t marry Jisun. I don’t love her. She doesn’t love me. I’m sorry but I can’t Appa. Go ahead strip me from my title, banish me, punish me with your hardest punishment for all I care. I just can’t.”

“Uhm, Your Royal Highness…”

Gyuri looked up when she heard her title. Jisun and her family was there. “I’m… sorry.”

“That was I was trying to explain, Your Majesty.” Jisun calmly said. “This arrangement has to be stopped. I can see clearly that Her Royal Highness is hurting. As much as I want to try but our relationship will not go anywhere. I look at her just as my Unnie. Nothing more. I fully aware that someone has already filled the space in her heart. And I don’t want to see her hurting anymore. I believe as a wise leader, you would be wiser as her father. I believe you would do anything to have Her Majesty to be in your life, so let Gyuri have her love too, Your Majesty.”

---

Saerom was walking hastily, catching up with the subway because she was sure she’s late. She heard the notification of door’s closing when she was just steps away from the train. “Wait wait wait!”

Saerom felt a tug on her hand and she was softly landed on something—someone to be precised. “T-thanks.” She looked up and found a couple of warm eyes and definitely a charming smile.

“No biggie.” The kind stranger smiled again. “Are you okay?” She made sure Saerom held on to the subway’s pole and stood up straight.

“Wh-what are you doing here?”

Gyuri kneeled down, took off her hoodie and her cap and her glasses and fished a box from her pocket.

The crowd gasped when they saw The Crown Prince was among them.

“I’m not letting anything to separate us anymore, Saeromie.” She opened the box. Showing a very shiny ring. “Lee Saerom, will you do the honour and marry me?”

“No.”

“Wh—NO?”

The shorter girl chuckled. “I was just kidding. Yes. I’ll marry you, CP.” Saerom pulled Gyuri up and kissed her.

The whole train cheered loudly.


miss me?