Blame Me

Soundcheck

I cleaned the counter top for the 3rd time, wiping away the coffee cup stains. Hanging the rag on a metal rack by the sink, I walked around the counter to come out, sitting down on one of the counter stools.

"Don't you have to go to the studio by now"

I leaned back against the counter, propping my elbows on them. I turned to look at Yuka sitting on another stool, drinking her coffee.

"Nah, I don't have to call in for like another hour."

"Going at your own pace as usual huh"

She turned to give me a smile, pretty much agreeing with me. She placed the coffee cup down, a clear lipstick stain on it. Guess she already did her make-up. The smell of her perfume was strong enough to pierce through the coffee fumes of the shop. Or I'm just sitting too close to her. Smells expensive. Guess all those musical performances paid off, since she's buying these brand perfumes. Not the kind of scent my nose seems to like though. I pulled out my ciggarettes, lighting one up. The smell of tobacco was a definite improvement over that suffocating perfume. 

"Smoking in the shop? You sure the manager don't mind?"

She raised her eyebrows, questioning more out of sarcasm rather than genuine worry. She didn't seem to mind the smell or smoke, drinking her coffee nonchalantly. 

"He said he was going out for groceries, but we both know what he's doing"

I slid the pack to her, knowing what she wanted before she asked. She lit one up like i knew she would, asking for the ashtray at the same time. 

"Wonder what your fans and the press would say. A member of Japans flagship idol group, smoking in a coffeeshop."

"Please, You know me. I could care less. Not like the press cares about me anyway. I ain't one of the main members."

"You don't sound as mad about it as you used to."

"Yeah well I gave up on it. I'm earning fine from the theatre performances and my musical performances. I'm just waiting for the right time to graduate and I'm finally out of that group."

I let out a small chuckle, surprised at her nonchalance about all that. I could never get used to her cold calculative decisions. Guess there's a reason she survived that long in the idol industry while still not caving in to the mold. 

"More importantly, how are YOU?"

I stayed quiet, inhaling another puff instead. I could feel her eyes on me, as though not letting me let the topic slide.

"Well... We're going on a couple of lives in some pubs and clubs around Kyoto for awhile. I'm gonna try booking a studio so we can record a new mini for our comeback. And hopefully, we can sign with a proper label this time."

"Do you need help? I can call-"

"No, it's fine. I'm expecting a call from Mr ara sometime soon so hopefully he can help me."

"Still. I can call a couple of people from Sony and-"

"I said it's fine!"

I didn't realise i was raising my voice till the surprise on her face registered. 

"I'm sorry i'm just... Look, If I'm going to sign with Sony, I'll do it my way. It's what i promised her."

I scratched my head, not exactly content with my apology. I didn't mean to raise my voice, or get so agitated. I felt her hand on mine, making me open my eyes and face her.

"Nah I get it. Do what you can. Just know if you need anything, I can help this time. I won't let you guys stumble down this time."

I forced a smile, just trying to let the topic slide. The sound of her phone ringing flipped the mood. She answered her phone, putting her finger up at me as though telling me to keep quiet, even though i was already being quiet. I could hear her manager scolding her on the other side of the line, her scrunched up face basically confirming my thoughts. my forced smile softened, looking more natural, and genuine this time. 

"Well , guess i gotta go."

She stuffed the phone into her clutch and downed her coffee in one shot. he turned back to me, smacking her hand on my shoulder.

"I'll call you soon to go for a drink. Chin up. Come drop by the theatre once in awhile. The girls miss you, specially Yuiri. You know she has a soft spot for you."

"Yeah yeah. Just go."

She bounced out of the cafe, while waving goodbye. Even when she's late, she's still taking her time. As the door closed behind her, i walked up to the closed sign. Might as well open the shop up. Doesn't seem like the manager's gonna be back for awhile.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I walked through the corridors, following the insturctions on the napkin. I could hear Sana behind behind, talking about how shes excited to meet this Osamu guy, something about being a fan of his group, Bananaman, for awhile and loving their jokes. Guess he must be pretty famous. Finally stumbling across the room stated on the napkin, I looked at Sana, readying ourselves. I knocked on the door and heard a man inside. Sana gestured at me, telling me to open the door.

We walked in to see two men, just sitting on the couches drinking tea. Sana introduced us in japanese, so i let her do the bulk of the work. The two men stood up as well, bowing back and giving the necessary formalities. The fat one was making jokes and making Sana laugh while the other one merely laughed along. 

"Which one of you is Osamu, if you don't mind me asking?"

The other one, Osamu, looked surprise, and gestured to himself.

"I'm sorry if this sounds rude, but I needed to relay a message to you?"

"Oh sure what is it?"

"Its from the barista at the coffee shop, he wanted you to call him."

He had a slightly confused look on his face before asking me a question in japanese. I turned to Sana for some kind of help.

"Did he give a number or something to contact him with."

It struck me that the number on the napkin wasn't for me to keep, but for this guy. That punk duped me. I took out the napkin, handing it to Osamu. When he took the napkin, he had a look of realization, as though realising who it was. 

"Hey Jungyeon, who's this barista you met?"

"Oh, he's the frontman of the band we saw last night, the one Momo and i liked. Guess i forgot to bring that up."

"Well guess that explains it. Seems like he must be close to Bananaman."

"Why's that?"

"Well, He just called him 'lil punk' so I'm guessing they must be close."

I turned to the Osamu guy, who was still looking at the napkin in his hand.

"So he's working at the coffeeshop you say?"

"Ah yes. do you know him?"

"Yes... All too well. I'm sort of responsible for what happened to him and his band."