Miss Muck

Soundcheck

"When you're done figuring your life out
And everything's fine"

I whispered the lyrics into the mic as the band starting picking up the tempo of the music, moving into the breakdown of the song. I stepped away from the mic stand, strumming hard on the guitar. The sound of the instruments mixed with the crowd gave me a boost of adrenaline i didn't know i needed, wiping out my concious mind. I moved on auto pilot, walking up to the edge of the stage, showboating to the audience. My body moved on its own, wildly flailing around almost as though i was having convulsions. I turned to Ami, the both of us making eye contact. We start facing each other, strumming the guitar together and just enjoying the moment. I jumped back to the mic stand, in time with the tart of the final chorus.

"I raced through soundcheck
Just to meet you on your break"

I screamed the lyrics into the mic, my lips practically sticking to the mic. I stared out into the audience as I sang, trying to take in the view in front of me as much as i could. My right eyes stung from the sweat dripping down my face, my fringe practically blocking out my vision. My hand moved quickly, slicking my fringe back and strumming the next chord in one swift motion. As my vision cleared, i looked up, and in that moment i saw them.

9 girl were standing by the balcony, watching us, some of them dancing to the song while the rest were merely nodding their heads. But my eyes were drawn to one person, standing quietly, her arms crossed but a smile so beautiful etched clearly on her face. Her eyes were on me, as I started smiling myself. My eyes locked on to her, not focusing on anything else. Despite the dim lighting on the balcony, she shoned bright, her every feature prominent to me. Her smile, her cheeks, her eyes. It was as if my eyes had its own focusing feature. 

"I wanted everything at once
Until you blew me out my mind
And now I don't need nothing"

I screamed out the last lyrics, as the song ended on a high note, cymbals crashing, guitars reverbing. But my eyes were only on one person the entire time, as though those words were for her. It wasn't intentional, but it ended up that way. i let the guitar go limp, letting it hang on the strap on my shoulder as we soaked in the applause and screams from the audience. I closed my eyes, letting Mina's smile be the last thing I see. 

********************

We walked backstage, leaving the screams of the audience behind. My hands were still shaking from the euphoria as i handed my guitar to the stage attendant. I could feel my heart pumping, a feeling i will never get used to after each performance. As the adrenaline rush started fading, the fatigue started kicking in. My legs were losing its strength just as quickly, making me stumble down the stairs. I could see the rest running ahead, still riding on their concert high. They were still energetic and were eager to go upstairs to the afterparty. I was excited too, but even that couldn't stop the wave of exhaustion. I took a seat on some trunk cases, trying to catch my breath, Guess i overexerted myself with the last song. And to think the other songs i have in mind will be using the same formula. Maybe i should change the arangements.

"Hey, you coming up of what?"

Jun poked his head out from the corner. I turned to him, waving my hand. He saw me practically dying on the trunk case and merely nodded his head. He disappeared just as fast, off to do what he does best. Make an excuse for me being late. Or absent. At that point, it struck me that I might have to mingle with people other than Jungyeon or Mina. I don't know whether it was the fatigue or the idea of meeting people but my head started spinning again and i had to lean my head against the wall. After staying away from public events and social parties, i guess i developed a form of social anxiety, cause i was starting to think twice about going upstairs.

What if they brought their managers? What if there were more people than i expected? What if they invited other people?

All these thoughts started swimming in my head making my feel nauseous. 

-Yo where are you? The rest of your band members are here.

I looked down at the text message Jungyeon sent me. That must have been a record. Those guys would leap over Mt Fuji for free alcohol i guess. 

-Didn't Jun explain? I'm just out back. Need some fresh air.

I slipped my phone back in my pocket, intending to leave it at that. I'll just take a couple more minutes down here before i go up. I'm sure they wouldn't mind. I could feel my phone vibrate a couple more times. Probably Jungyeon. I ignored it, letting my thought get drown out by the music th edj was playing. But by the 7th ring, i knew i couldn't ignore it anymore. 

"What!"

"Yo it's me Osamu."

"Ah Mr ara... What gives?"

"Well, you know the single you just passed me last night? It's being played on the radioes here in Tokyo. People are calling in to my radio channel asking whether you guys are really back."

"Wait, you played it on your radio?!"

"Yerp, your comebacks official boy. Your lucks looking up."

ANd just as he said that, i looked up as someone walked down the stairs, a figure that forced a rush in my veins, as though jumpstarting my body. There she was, in her black dress coming, her hair bouncing up and down elegantly as she walked down the stairs, the side of her neck exposed as she noticed me sitting down. She gave a small smile, as though relieved to have found me. The birthday girl has arrived

"Yeah, yeah it is."